Most Played Uk Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by OldVern, Apr 20, 2022.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Following on from my NTP/Class 45 thread, thought it would be interesting to see what everyone’s most played UK route is, particularly in view of the possibility that DTG are reluctant to do another BR Blue era route. The best yardstick we have at this point is probably the miles driven figure when you first go into the route sub screen, though not 100% accurate if a lot of time has been spent shunting. I’ll add my own stats later when I get time to run the game.

2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t have stats as they are essentially spread across three entities, TSW2020 and TSW2 on PS4 and TSW2 on PS5 but I know what I have played the most in the past and what I play most now and out of those two which I will play most in the future.

NTP was the route I played the most in the past out of all routes, not just UK routes. It also came with TSW2020 so I have had it the longest. Now though it is without a doubt London Commuter. Without stats, I would guess that it has already overtaken NTP in terms of total time spent and services driven even in the shorter time I’ve had the route and will continue out of the two to be the one I drive the most on. There’s just more to do and I prefer it overall for enjoyment. I would maybe prefer it even more if it were in the BR Blue era though, so I’ll expand a little beyond just what I play the most.

I prefer the trains in NTP and drive the Class 45 on lots of other routes too with railtours and its use in other routes like GWE diesel legends and WCL along with scenarios I’ve made for other routes. I’ve driven the Class 45 and Class 101 a lot more than the Class 150 in the short time I’ve had WCL for example.

I much prefer BR Blue era to the modern trains and am only playing London Commuter more because of the route itself being great and the extensive timetable with lots and lots of traffic. So I wouldn’t say that miles driven on the route is the best measure for preference of era to be honest, as there are other factors in play, such as how much there is to do in the routes and we don’t get to choose which routes represent each era. I hardly ever play East Coastway which has the same train as London Commuter as I find the whole experience very dull on that route. My favourite trains in TSW will remain to be the Class 45, Class 101 and Class 31 and they are all BR Blue and all get extensive use but they don’t have a London Commuter type timetable anywhere in TSW.

I would love more BR Blue era content. Stats can only cover what’s there already and not what I would like to be there!

• Like Like x 7
  3. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I play alot of SEHS, I love modern traction & love the 395 & 66.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Aldarion

Aldarion Member

The route i most play is NTP - i have it since buying TSW2020 and after a few weeks i got the Heavy Freight pack. Finished every scenrio and timetable before release of TSW2. Last summer i got TVL, class 31 and class 20 but stoped plaing in december. These days I am back to TVL since it's updated. I'm going to stay at "Darlington traction depot" until NTP is updated and then I'll get back playing it all in tsw2.

ocasionaly i go make a few km's at sandpatch grade and Main Spessart. Never touched LIRR or Bakerloo.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

My most played is definitely NTP, I'm not sure on the exact stats but it was definitely NTP in the lead

• Like Like x 2
  6. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

NTP & Padd - Reading with the 1970's mod. Using dtg's less than convincing diesel legends.
    Never seen so many 31's and 101's on the London Division. :(

• Like Like x 2
  7. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Routes I play less are GWE & NTP but that's down solely to the lack of rail driver support.

Same was said of TVL until the recent update and it's now in my rotation of routes driven regularly.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

Going by how popular NTP is why i think the Hope Valley line is such an ideal route for TSW2. Sheffield to Manchester. Its the perfect length an as a good mixture of passenger and freight

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I think GWE is my most played route as I love the HST. NTP is probably next then SEHS and TVL. ECW and London Commuter are alright but I don't really enjoy the electrostars as much.

I would love more BR blue era and also slightly later IC Swallow era with the 91/43 etc out of Kings Cross with rush hour activity levels.

• Like Like x 2
  10. rpb1966

rpb1966 Well-Known Member

GWR. NTP and LC. I really think that DTG need to start listening to some of the ideas that we put forward.
    Woodhead Line
    Liverpool Street-Norwich
    Kings X-Peterbro
    Euston-Birmingham

All in BR Blue late 70s early 80s

• Like Like x 3
  11. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

TVL followed by NTP are my most played routes as this is my favourite era. SOS assuming it meets expectations will be up there fairly soon after release, I imagine.

• Like Like x 4
  12. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

The most played UK route for me is SEHS, without any doubt. It has such a varied combination of services that makes me never get bored. High and low speed, freight, railtours... and it has the 465 which is amazing. I have literally spent hours without leaving the route chaining services with the different trains and on different services, both driving and travelling as a passenger, and the experience feels totally different. Arriving at Faversham driving for example a BR Class 31 and then immediately taking control of a Javelin to London is priceless.
    London Conmuter is amazing but it lacks that variety, so after a couple of services I switch to another route because for me it becomes monotonous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Same as stujoy, I can't give any stats due to profile changes on PlayStation. Going by my gut, I think TVL is my most played UK route, very closely followed by NTP. However, I've been on a bit of a UK trip since ECW was on that ridiculous PlayStation sale and have been enjoying quite a bit of ECW (mainly due to the 313) and I've also added SEHS (+ 465) to my collection in a more recent sale. Those two are probably starting to catch up to NTP and TVL. Still, I enjoy the vintage content more than modern content. Stuff like the Electrostars are really not my cup of tea.

Edit: cleaned up some spelling

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  14. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

On the PS5 version of TSW its
    1st BML 1511.96
    2nd SEHS 1323.51 miles
    3rd GWE 940.29 miles
    3rd ECW 393.53 miles
    4th WCL 320.7 miles
    5th NTP 209.49 miles
    6th Cathcart 193.88 miles
    7th Tees Valley 150.64 miles
    8th LUL 102.03 miles
    9th West Somerset 12.96 :o :o :o :o

The PS4 version of TSW I think GWE is way out in front and both Tees valley and NTP are both mileage high as well. Its just on the PS5 I was kinda fed up having to start again as we couldn't transfer our savegames over.

Regards
    Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  15. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

The played, and favorites I've done of the top 3 is so far.
    -TVL (the only UK freight I can enjoy)
    -GWE (for the High-Speed runs, even with DLGW added)
    -WSR (a classic Heritage route)

I do have enjoyed more with the historic routes than I do with modern. The classic diesels of the BR era do always intrigued me (except for the DMUs, not a fan of them), of course more so with freight than passengers. And with Spirit of Steam, well I do hope that can be on top of that list as well, steam always have fascinates me, especially in the UK. So I do hope that does live to its expectation also.
    [haven't gotten NTP yet, but I do see it looks nice as well. Especially with the BHF pack]

• Like Like x 1
  16. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

1st NTP my prefered. When i dont know where to go i simply go on NTP and do some random service (not at night !)
    More than 1400 miles, its moar that all the other UK lines put together.

2nd TVL, more played since update, l like it a lot.

3rd CCL à cool line with lack of variety, i want to finish it journey mode one day.

4th ECW need some free time to spend on this one !

5th WSR is last in miles but i like to come there for a relaxing journey.

I love BML but hadnt time too give it a lot of love yet. Spended here more time walking that anywhere else i think.

• Like Like x 1
  17. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Since TSW2020, then TSW2 on PS4 & PS5, I have a jumble of stats.

On TSW2020, NTP was by far my most played route, with 1800 miles.

TSW 2 (PS4) - SEHS takes the top spot with 1900 miles, of which the 465 is responsible for almost 800.

TSW 2 (PS5) - BML with 1200 miles.

Overall SEHS takes most played overall, that unique mix of high speed running and commuter operations with the 395 is something quite addictive, the 465 being as fantastic as it is also keeps me coming back, despite the issues with the scenery on this route.

NTP really feels like it’s fallen behind other routes now, it was once king of the castle for me, but it really needs a new injection of life to bring it upto the current standard.

As for BML, the mileage here is quite low, but that’s attributed more to TSW2 being so problematic lately, as a result I find myself playing less and less.

• Like Like x 1
  18. setras

setras Well-Known Member

Mine is definately GWE followed by SEHS then DWE Diesel Legends. Previous version it would be ECML.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OldVern

Bit late to my own party on this, but real life getting in the way a bit today. Anyhow...
    GWE - 416 miles though that includes original and Legends.
    TVL - 221 miles.
    SEHS - 200 miles.
    NTP - 173 miles.
    BML - 161 miles.
    Bakerloo - 95 miles.
    ECW - 63 miles.
    Cathcart - 30 miles.
    WSR - 4 miles.

Not included WCL as I did a couple of runs then refunded.
    Quite surprised by the results and that TVL or indeed SEHS is actually in front of NTP. Of course it's easy to rack up mileage on GWE all those 36 mile runs to Reading and back to Paddington 30 mins each way. Likewise SEHS, the 465 is addictive and the Javelin runs clock up mileage too. West Somerset, I know I've done more on that but possibly in TSW original which didn't carry forward. Still it probably gets the overall booby prize of the UK routes.

So despite the fact I love the BR Blue era and routes, that doesn't really reflect in the stats and of course there are variables DTG need to take into account if they are accessing this information to assess play habits. Hours played would definitely be a better yardstick, too.

• Like Like x 2
  20. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

There are many variables at the end of the day, and Sam has previously glossed over how they look at the way people interact with routes, in fact somebody at DTG has a dedicated job of doing so.

For me, my absolute die hard favourite content would be DMU’s in the post privatisation era of the 90’s early 2000’s.

Taking that into account,WCL should be one of my top routes, but it’s a long way from that, and it’s for a multitude of reasons. In contrast If I had to pick a train to never reappear in TSW, it would be the electrostars, however BML is among my top played.

At the end of the day, they could release a top tier BR era DLC and a low tier modern UK DLC, and the BR route will be the favourite regardless of who likes what.

What really matters is how well the DLC is made, and the activities involved within.

21. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

London Commuter... by far. My latest stats I had noted down for the route as of last week were as followed (these have increased since as I have not yet checked to update the stats):

London Commuter:
    - Services complete = 248 out of 1,437 (from memory, think it's now closer to 280)
    - London Commuter Level = 62
    - Miles Driven = 4,368
    - 377 Level = 207
    - 387 Level = 32

My favourite rolling stock is the Electrostars (closely followed in real life by the Class 700) - as someone who is local to the route, and have grown up with such trains (I love the sound of these in particular) is my reason for London Commuter being my favourite route of all time - the epic timetable is a real bonus which I wish will be implemented on other routes in the future, very fun to try and achieve all the services!

Closely followed is East Coastway, for pretty similar reasons - plus the 313 which is brilliant - although I'm still frustrated to this day that the London Victoria to Eastbourne and/or Ore services are still missing from the timetable. Nonetheless, what I like about LC and ECW is the interlink between routes, personally would love to see the addition of the West Coastway or Arun Valley Line one day in the future.

Southeastern Highspeed is an interesting one for me, I am not a fan of the Class 395, but love the 465 especially - although I find the route okay, but not the best. Great Western Express I've always enjoyed, but it certainly needs a timetable upgrade and more rolling stock - though, with certain factors, I know this wouldn't be so simple.

I generally stick to modern routes as I find them more relatable and honestly don't really hold any interest in the BR Blue era or anything older etc - but I appreciate we all have our own likes and dislikes which is fair enough. :)

• Like Like x 1
  22. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Going off topic slightly but totally agree. But if we are to get the Hope Valley line then Id hope we'd get it during the project Rio days when Class 43's would run over the line from London to Manchester during the ECML upgrade works

• Like Like x 4
  23. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Stopped playing last year as I am still waiting for the GWE updates and unsurprisingly that is my most played. Diesel Legends with mods was good. TVL, NTP and a little SEHS (love the 465 for some reason) and some Somerset thrown in but then I have spent time on the Bakerloo and IOW and like those too. I bought the BML but have never played it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Aldarion

Aldarion Member

LGV Mediterranée - 3610,02 km - not really a surprise here, considering the milage you can do in such a short time...
    NTP - 893,15 mi (1437.39 km)
    Sandpatch grade - 648,51 mi (1043,68km) :o
    Koln-Aachen - 1040,36km
    TVL - 578,25 mi (930.60km)
    Main-Spessart Bahn - 84,72km
    GWR - 0yd (in tsw2)
    LIRR - 0yd
    Bakerloo - 0yd

25. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Used to be GWE, but ever since it released London-Brighton has become not just my most-played British route, but most played overall. (I used to do a lot of NTP, but by now the only un-played services left on it are Class 101, and I hate driving the 101)

• Like Like x 2
  26. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

The class 101 is one of my favourite's in the game, do you have a RailDriver? As they are fun to drive with that, I think people said it was tricky with a keyboard.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

It's not too bad on a keyboard once you get used to it, the brakes are a little awkward though. I really enjoy driving it too, but I get why some might be put off by it, I was at first too.

• Like Like x 1
  28. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

My issue with the 101 is primarily the brakes (compounded by sluggish acceleration) - basically I have to take a wild guess at a braking point and degree of reduction, and then pray I wind up more or less at the platform.

• Like Like x 1
  29. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

BML 1st
    2nd East Coastway
    3rd Bakerloo Line

• Like Like x 1
  30. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Sehs.
    It has it’s faults, but it get’s the most playtime.

Would love to see the Woodhead updated to Tsw2

31. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Blue all over.

1. Northern Transpennine (best atmosphere and feel of any route - more important to me than strict accuracy)
    2. Tees Valley (shame the recent update messed up the timetable, but still a great route)
    3. Great Western (Diesel Legends) (mods essential to give it the right feel)
    4. West Cornwall (despite everything, hauled stock on an interesting route)
    5. Brighton Mainline (great timetable, boring Electrostars)
    6. East Coastway (If only the 313 didn’t have such crazy acceleration I’d play it much more)
    7. South Eastern (ditto for the 465 - great train but unrealistic acceleration spoils it)
    8. Cathcart (played it a lot at first, but I’ve exhausted it now - not much variety)
    9. Bakerloo (also played it quite a lot at first, but very sameish after a while)

• Like Like x 5
  32. OldVern

Yes I noticed that about the 465. People rave about it, but the acceleration is more like a BSG Viper than a train!

• Like Like x 2
  33. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

To be fair, the 465 (IRL) has an acceleration rate of something like 2mph per second.

It’s acceleration rate is pretty damn fast, even by modern standards.

Even beyond that issue though, the quality of the 465 is pretty high above most other units.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  34. lcyrrjp

The problem is not so much the acceleration at low speed, as at high speed. IRL it’s a unit designed for services with frequent stops so has a 75mph limit and is optimised for rapid acceleration at low speed. As a result acceleration trails off significantly towards the top end of its speed range. On TSW2 its acceleration is extremely rapid at all speeds. It just makes it feel more like a rocket ship than a train, and not very realistic.

• Like Like x 2
  35. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I do agree, I just don’t think it’s to such a crazy point that it’s THE train that needs fixing.

My point was more that the 465 is in much better condition than the majority of units in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  36. lcyrrjp

Agreed, it’s just frustrating because it feels so close to being a great train. People have different priorities in terms of what they want from a unit. For some it’s about what proportion of circuit breakers etc in the cab are functional. For others it’s about whether the livery is right. Those things don’t really bother me. On a Driver sim, my priorities are whether the train performance is correct, and whether the driving controls behave realistically. Although the 465 has lots of things going for it, it’s unrealistic performance means it’s a train I don’t drive.

I think my frustration is that 30(ish…) years ago I could drive trains on Simudrive and the recreation of the performance of the train was superb. After all that time, with so many aspects of Drivers sims having moved forward massively, recreation of train performance has gone backwards.

• Like Like x 4
  37. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

It does seem like sometimes the train performance is taking from Manufacturers documents, and then others Wikipedia.

As you said, everyone looks for different things in a sim, whilst I do want realistic performance, my boundaries for it will vary, the 465 I don’t mind, because the issue really only kicks in at higher speeds (probably lower too but not to a massive degree), where as the 150 for example is a mess from the get go, and the 150’s performance effects the entire driving experience.

I do completely agree that with how sims as a whole have advanced, it does mean that there is more to get right, so less time is taken on individual aspects.

My hope is that all trains in TSW have stricter QA, at the end of they day they are the root of what we all play for, and they need to be right.

• Like Like x 2
  38. OldVern

Happy days apart from the text based graphics and no sound!

• Like Like x 3
  39. lcyrrjp

I think you’re forgetting the AWS!

40. OldVern

Ah yes, used the PC built in speaker IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
  41. lcyrrjp

It did. I once wrote to Paul Lee asking him to increase the volume as it was quiet and easy to miss (making you reliant on spotting the flashing “WARNING” box). He responded saying that as far as he could tell there was no way of adjusting the volume through the programme, and my only chance was to work out where my PC speaker was and drilling a hole in the box to make it more audible!

Thankfully Simudrive had no counter recording the amount of time you spent playing each route - because I dread to think the number of hours of my childhood I spent driving 87s between Euston and Crewe!

42. OldVern

I used to regularly get relieved of duty for not bringing the reverser back quick enough, when I tried his steam locos. Black Five from Perth to Inverness on Load 10!

• Like Like x 2
  43. lcyrrjp

A black 5 with load 10 over those gradients must have been a slog!

One of the joys of Simudrive - you could drive any train, in any formation, on any schedule on any route you owned. I remember thrashing a pair of 50s with 10 mk2s over Shap, and doing experiments like running a 225 set between Paddington and Bristol TM to see what kind of journey time improvement could be achieved if it were electrified and line speed were increased to 140mph as far as Swindon.

44. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  45. lcyrrjp

Only the demo, sadly, and it didn't run properly for me - but the menus and format brought back some memories. I seem to remember there was an alternate colour scheme available. I used to play it with a black and green (?) screen rather than the default blue and pink.

46. OldVern

You probably need to use a programme called D-Fend, which basically puts a front end on DOS-Box.

I will have to check through my archives see if I still have the routes and stock I bought. Unfortunately at some point in the distant past, all my stuff on floppy disc got chucked out and not all archived on to CD-ROM, same with a load of the SIAM stuff.

Edit: Ah excellent, lurking on a 2007 backup disc.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  47. lcyrrjp

I’m pretty sure I still have mine on floppy disk somewhere - but no floppy disk drive to put them in!

48. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

BML followed by GWE. I don't care much for Electrostars either, given the tiny postage-stamp front window, but the route on BML is nice.

49. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

My most played route has to be West Somerset. However it could have been West Cornwall local as I have lived on the route most of my life, but never play it as the scenery is so devoid of the original and so unlike the place itself in so many places. The only bits RIVET got almost right was the Stations, 37/5 150/2 and the sky and sea.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  50. OldVern

Except most of us actually regard the 150/2 as the most awful train created so far in TSW. Great external and interior model but all for naught with shonky physics and sounds. WCL is a classic example of where you could probably tolerate one element being off, but when both the route and primary new train had so much wrong, best left on the shelf until/if they do a Sherman/Oakville and sell it off for £4.

• Like Like x 2