Armstrong Powerhouse Wip Dlc News

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blazin, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Armstrong Powerhouse has revealed that they are working on a Mk3A-B Coach Enhancement Pack!
    unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Great, but what's in the cards? :D

3. TundraFire

TundraFire Member

EP for an old model? AP desperately needs an inhouse modeler. Knowing AP they would probably charge £50 for a comprehensive mk3 coach pack so maybe this better for people's wallet.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cyclone

Nah, even AP wouldn't charge that much.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not sure why you are making up such a high number?
    The Mk2 DEF Coach pack which was created from new has 6 types in 19 liveries is only £11.99

• Like Like x 2
  6. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Didn't MKS (or someone similar) have a HST set in the works (cancelled due to the AP EPs), presumably that would have included new Mk3 models which could be adapted into hauled stock? This looks like an EP for the ancient kuju Mk3a included in WCML North.

Edit: no these are the Mk3a included with the GEML Class 90.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  7. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

and require about 5 other packs for them to work :D :P

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  8. Cyclone

And ten - no, twenty - other packs to play the scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

being generous

10. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

If you don't like AP packs or think they are not value for money then simply don't buy them.
    I personally own all of the AP catalogue and don't regret a penny.
    To me if you want quality you pay for it.
    Why do Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin exist? None of their catologue come for the price of a Ford Focus.
    More to the point the most expensive Coach packs from AP are no more than £14.99
    The Mk 1 pack comes with 13 variants & 15 liveries.
    Works out at £0.08 (UK) per coach.
    The MK 2A-C Pack 8 Variants 17 Liveries @ £0.08 per coach
    The Mk2 D-F Pack 6 Variants 19 Liveries @ £0.10 per coach
    I don't class that as expensive.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

one word answer really:

OPINIONS

12. Cyclone

I see you quoted me. Note I own a lot of the catalogue. The problem I actually have is more that he goes back and edits content already sold so that the scenarios now require a Class 185, or a Class 700, etc. even though they came out two or three years after the DLC you are actually buying. There needs to be both a basic version and a full-DLC version of scenarios; instead of maintaining the basic version, he goes and tries to get people to spend as much money as possible on DLC to play three scenarios. To be clear, the problem isn't using other DLC in the scenarios; the problem is putting the newest and most expensive DLC in and then telling users they now need this. I had a hard drive crash recently, so I have to redownload everything. I do not want to be told I have to buy stuff that, in the past, was not needed, then be told I can edit it myself back to what it used to be but they can't guarantee it will still work. Well, THEY make it necessary to do that, so in reality they are the ones to blame for beefing up the scenarios unnecessarily.

It is my hope and suspicion that much of the stock is simply being showcased as idle stock, and there may in fact be minimal DLC required for scenario play purposes. I just wish that it was clear what is absolutely needed and what is eye candy for pictures. I am going to be looking to acquire the older versions of some scenarios where certain stock have been added since they released.

• Like Like x 4
  13. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

I second this i purchased a few scenario packs when they got sold on the website. Low and behold they got removed from sale and the store. Done a fresh install of the sim and my 3rd party content. The scenario packs i purchased are now useless because they are no longer sold as pack i can download them yes however i cant use them as i cannot download the extra stock pack required. What i can do though is purchse the scenarios again via the powerhouse app and like you said the requirements have changed to that i need to buy stock i may have 0 interest in. Granted AP are a buisness and need to make money etc but this removing stuff then bringing out new versions is getting silly again,

Also when a new updated pack appears a discount is available on some products only for a reduced time,. This should be a permanet reduction and not time limited as not everyone will have the finances available at times to buy the update and miss out resulting in them having to pay a higher price for an updated product they already have the older version of.

AP do some really nice things but a few things need to change in my opinion and it is only basic things that will not make or break peoples decisions

• Like Like x 2
  14. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Have you ever asked Richard for the discontinued extra stock packs? I did for the discontinued Class 175 pack and he kindly obliged, as I know he has for others too.

People are quick to post negativity in the public arena, I wonder are they as quick to pose a courteous question directly to the source?

• Like Like x 2
  15. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Shouldnt need to contact them they should be available to download as myself and others have paid for them.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

But the point is, they ARE available, just not publicly available, huge difference.

Also next time keep a backup. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cyclone

Tell me about it. I haven't bothered to get an enclosure to try digging into my unbootable hard drive yet. Once I do, I'll probably have access to lots of AP stuff that didn't make the backup, including the old copies of the DLC with more favourable scenario builds. I know I've asked for older copies before and was bluntly told they don't keep older copies; I also asked for a retired pack to help with the use of something I provided a link for and was again told no can do. So the point remains that he is recognizing that there is still content out there (I'm not even talking about scenarios) that requires his products to work and stuff is STILL being created using them (Advenza 57 recently, and came out after the sound pack went away!), but he refuses to make the files available to people making those products. That is a bit of a problem, I'd say. Yes, it's his right, but it's not friendly to the customer. If they're low quality and not worth selling, at least let people have access to them and give existing owners a discount on a future EP if it comes along. Seems simple enough.

Regarding extra stock packs, I have pretty much every single one - again, on the old hard drive. If I can grab them, I'll have a proper backup, but I can probably find many again so it will not likely be a huge issue.

• Like Like x 2
  18. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Well clearly they are not read the comment above yours. So what do you suggest now then seeing as your quick to tell me they ARE available when clearly they are not if someone got declined above.

19. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Anyway lets not turn this into a AP bashing page its a hand page to keep up to date with latest addons etc. AP do fantastic stuff compared to other simulation titles TS still seems to be at the better end of them thanks to 3rd partys :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

You're talking about two different things, you said stock packs, i responded as such. Cyclone brought removed from sale sound packs into the discussion afterwards.

Right, I'm going to sleep now as I work nights.

21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

All this fuss about scenarios that come with AP Packs over nothing.
    Where it is nice to have the AP Enhanced version of a loco or unit it is not a requirement.
    So the Scenario says you need the AP 66 for a train in the siding or something going past that you see for 10 seconds.
    It does not need to be the AP version as the default will do for AI.

Instead of moaning Swap It with LocoSwap

22. Cyclone

That's the point I am trying to make here. I'm saying it's not clear what is absolutely required, but the page basically says hey, you better own all of this before running it. It puts people off actually playing the scenarios if they think Service 35 will cause a problem with the scenario because they have no idea it's not vital to the scenario.

Yes, I have LocoSwap, but it would still be nice to know what I can leave alone since, as you said, we see it for 10 seconds driving by and it doesn't affect us.

23. TundraFire

TundraFire Member

Before I owned the majority of the AP catalogue, I would just swap out the driven consist with the AP ones on the default DTG scenarios. I didn't touch the AP scenarios until I had built up a sizable collection.

If you are just starting to buy AP packs for the scenarios then you're doing it wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  24. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

No I never read my posts. I have mentioned I purchased SCENARIO PACKS and said scenario packs. Those are of no use to me now since they got removed from sale to be remade and updated and made available for purchase again in the AP app.

25. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

just to point out to yourself as well I am talking about scenario packs nkt the scenarios that come with products. 2 different things.

26. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

But let’s not turn this into an AP bashing thread and all move on we have our points and can argue back and forth all day long it solves nothing

27. AirbourneAlex

Wouldn't it be better if AP provided the scenarios in a separate download so those who can't run them don't have to have them installed? Even better still if scenarios were distributed via the Powerhouse thing where scenarios could be unlocked if you own the relevant packs.

• Like Like x 2
  28. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

yeah really nice idea.

• Like Like x 1
  29. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not really.
    With say the Class 411 they give you 6 scenarios over three routes but If you don't have the routes they won't be installed.
    If you don't want the scenarios just delete them - you don't have to go routing in the content files
    Go in to Build > Scenarios pick the route, highlight the scenario and click Delete.

Simples

30. AirbourneAlex

I know but you still have to download and install the extra stock packs separately, why not just put the scenarios in those?

• Like Like x 1
  31. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

I think that’s a great idea personally

• Like Like x 1
  32. Cyclone

They are still installed. You have the route folder with scenarios, but no route.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

This is so needed. All the MkIII coaches are awful. I'm surprised it took this long.

34. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Every time AP do anything, the usual suspects show up to slag them off. (sigh)

• Like Like x 1
  35. AirbourneAlex

Don't get me wrong, AP products are fantastic, but I still think they could do certain things differently/better.

• Like Like x 2
  36. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

51CC2181-5C7C-40BA-91F4-7D62B4C3E5D3.jpeg CA0CA53A-93CC-4D68-9DD0-6153EA0D425B.png

• Like Like x 2
  37. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I think that is a bad idea personally
    So I have purchased an Add-on - the 4Cep and I get 6 Scenarios.
    I would have to mess about downloading something else with a separate way of doing it.
    And If I purchased a Scenario pack for a route I would end up paying again for something that was included with the 4Cep

Nothing wrong with the FREE Scenarios being included with the DLC
    If you don't want them you just delete them

38. AirbourneAlex

I probably own more than half of the AP catalogue, deleting each scenario for each pack isn't practical. Likewise, all those scenarios are taking memory space when I cannot or don't want to use them. They would be better in a separate download, after all you'll still need to download the separate branding patches and extra stock packs, so it wouldn't be any different really.

It's just one of those small things AP could do differently in my opinion.

39. Cyclone

I don’t mind the idea presented with the scenarios included as a second item in the download. It can be provided in a RWP format. I think AP may be more concerned about that file getting around, however.

• Like Like x 1
  40. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Every time DTG announce a new product the usual suspects appear to slag them off

• Like Like x 1
  41. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

why would you need to do anything else you download the liveries to apply them anyway is it really that much to download scenarios if you wanted them

42. SJA

SJA Active Member

For different reasons though, to be fair. Most of the complaints about AP are about pricing and upsell tactics, rather than quality. When it comes to DTG's stock, a lot of them do have dodgy physics and bad sounds. I personally don't know how much I'd use TS Classic if it wasn't for AP stock.

• Like Like x 3
  43. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Those are the same...

• Like Like x 1
  44. Cyclone

I still wonder though why he is editing the existing Class 90 Mk3 models. If it is just to add new liveries - I.e. a livery pack - it would probably be a low-priced add-on. If a brand new pack remaking all of them from scratch, it seems like pointless effort. And we know they will be needed for every scenario at ATS after they release, and it is not worth changing two hundred cars just to play one scenario, so yeah...but it will still be tried...LOL

45. AirbourneAlex

Same model yes, different dependencies. AP has used the WCML North ones in the past (e.g. the Class 90/Mk3 DVT pack). It'll be interesting to see what this EP adds exactly, as the Class 90 pack includes most Mk3a liveries and there was already a Mk3 sound pack (which the GEML Class 90 on steam still uses as far as I'm aware).

• Like Like x 1
  46. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Are we allowed to hope for the inclusion of the trio of Mk3b BFOs?

47. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

It’s going to need to add more than just liveries or it seems pointless as liveries are already available

48. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Or perhaps as an option in the installers, like how you can pick what features are installed when installing other programmes. That way it's all one download but still optional.

49. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

When you go to a normal website, ATS, UKTS RailSim.de you click on the Scenario and just download it
    You then install it in any method you wish - .rwp or extract and copy/paste

With AP you have to first go to https://www.trainsimscenarios.com/
    Download the AP installer and let that download the Scenarios in a way it chooses
    To me that is a "separate way of doing it" - not even the same website you purchased the DLC.

50. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Armstrong Powerhouse has shown a screenshot of the passenger view from their upcoming Mk3A-B Coach Enhancement Pack.
    3B66AA0B-CA84-4CCC-867C-A961E4A15438.jpeg

• Like Like x 3