Is There Even A Point In Route Merging?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by CrazyDash, May 5, 2022.

1. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Another way to do this would have been going Hagen Hbf to Frankfurt Am Main Hbf via Gießen missing sections are Ruhr-Sieg Süd Finnentrop Siegen Dill Line Gießen Siegen and Main Weser Bahn Kassel Marburg Gießen Frankfurt Am Main Hbf. Pretty much the Intercity line 34 which is the DB BR147 on Ruhr-Sieg Nord. The long term goal for DTG is forming a route network. Best place for this is the Ruhr Valley region NRW Germany by filling in the gaps between RRO SKA HRR and Ruhr-Sieg Nord. HRR RRO RSN can be linked if DTG builds Hagen Vorhalle then the massive 1988 built Bochum Langendreer junction Wetter Ruhr Viaduct. HRR SKA link are Duisburg Mönchengladbach Aachen railway and the Duisburg Düsseldorf Köln line.

• Like Like x 1
  2. driverwoods#1787

Wuppertal can link to Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen if the missing Köln Solingen Wuppertal line is built there is an earlier comment that have that section being built to link RRO SKA. Also consider DRA and Tharandter Rampe Dresden Chemnitz being linked with Riesa Chemnitz route. Also seen in my signature.

3. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Again, we’re starting to dream up ridiculous length lines, not really realistic to have half of Germany linked up.

Also, linking Dresden - Chemnitz & a Riesa - Chemnitz route seems a little pointless, much like RSN & RRO, the traffic would just meet in the middle but neither would use the other line?

It could be nice on the account of having a operable network which has traffic spilling over into the 3 terminus’, however to make that worthwhile you’d have to ensure a Riesa - Chemnitz alone is set in 2013, then have another DRA built set in the same time, which seems abit pointless considering it would be a marginally different route.

4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Which begs the question - Does it really matter if two routes are set in a similar time period, particularly if there's been little change in the scenery between the two eras (obviously a modern Chat Moss route wouldn't work with NTP, for example), and especially when the more "historic" route (Chemnitz in this context) has bits that are modelled as they are now, not as they were when the route was actually set?

In TS1, the 4 routes that make up the ECML Merge aren't set in the same year as the merged route itself (resulting in a somewhat cursory platform 3 at Peterborough and Hitchin Flyover).

5. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I suppose unless you’re a complete purist then it wouldn’t be an issue, for me I’m not too bothered either way, however DTG have been all over the time period topic with TSW.

On the other hand, you have routes like WCL which are quite a mess with the time period, and DTG does also twist this to their advantage with route modelling & services where they seem to see fit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I mean, I wouldn't mind if they did a modern route (say, North London & GOBLIN) and included a service that hasn't run for years (like the 0759 Woodgrange Park - Willesden Junction, as seen in this video). I think there should always be room for artistic license (every DLC is, after all, simply an artist's impression), just as long as it doesn't go too far.

7. driverwoods#1787

Linking the two via Riesa-Dresden Zeithain Riesa section allows RB45 services to run Zeithain to Chemnitz via Riesa and the new line Riesa Chemnitz. Remember on DCZ there are RB45 depot services that you can operate. In the case of Riesa Chemnitz RB45s can be operated upto Zeithain.

8. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

But they don’t go via Dresden? So what is the need for it to be linked to DRA?

9. driverwoods#1787

If there was a need of Railtours to run via Riesa-Chemnitz then Tharandter Rampe. In actual operation Zeithain junction serves as the link between Riesa and Elsterwerda RB45 terminal stop. On the forums there are discussions about Zeithain Station

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think WCL is a study in how not to do it, however if they had left it with just the 150 and 37 there would be many saying it wasn't busy enough, even though we are talking about Cornwall and not the lines out of Waterloo. If they had layered in the GWR class 43 it would have been just as much of a mash-up. Personally I wish they hadn't included the layers as they just made it worse, in my opinion.

I do speak as a purist but as long as a route hasn't altered too much I don't mind a mix of time periods, I do BR scenarios on many TS Classic routes set in the modern day. It is mainly if the signalling has radically altered or if there have been other major infrastructure changes it becomes difficult to suspend reality.

• Like Like x 2
  11. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah like I said, on a DB route that’s only a few years apart, it’s pretty unlikely to be noticeable, also given the fact that DTG play fast and loose with inaccurate German stock layering & subbing, it’s not been an issue there.

Still though, connecting DRA, DCZ & a future RCZ, would be pretty pointless.

• Like Like x 1
  12. driverwoods#1787

Spot on and this is evident on Ruhr-Sieg Nord with 767.2 780 785 DB BR143 instead of N-wagen DB BR143 as said on the forums. Hamburg-Lubeck DB BR112 767.2 766.2 780 785 instead of the correct DB BR112 781 786 766.2 767.2 Dosto which is also seen on HRR RRO SKA services in real life. SKA dosto trips should be DB BR146.2 facing towards Hamm (Westf) Eastbound Westbound Dosto 767.2 766.2 781 786 facing Aachen.

If DTG makes Hannover Hamburg or S-Bahn Hamburg both are TSC routes that can appear on TSW2. Those routes can be merged with Hamburg-Lubeck

13. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, I didn't actually mean to be realistic in having a complete route from Penzance to Paddington. I was just using this as an example that I hope many future route DLCs that form part of another section of a route we already have would not comprise of multiple eras - that ruins the immersion for me, and any slight possibility of route mergers etc.

• Like Like x 1