Train Sim World 2 - The Sound Of Steam

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, May 12, 2022.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 20
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The YT video is so good!

EDIT You have such a nice job - I hope you are not being paid at least :D BR o7
    ... And this photo... Oh my... \o/

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

For a brief moment I thought that was a latest screen shot :o
    Used to live couple hundred meters from the GCR listened to the engines often.
    Great to read the development ongoing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thestrudwicks

thestrudwicks Member

How did u get the high pitch sounds.of.the saftey vales and the drain cocks

5. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Great article, video and vlog. This is the sort of behind the scenes stuff I've been hoping to see for awhile. Hope to see more and hope to see some more intersting things in tonights stream if there are any.

• Like Like x 4
  6. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

The GCR is my local preserved line, Leicester North itself is only a 10 minute drive away from my house. It's a wonderful line and here is a photo I took of 48305 a few weeks ago. I can't speak for anyone else but after this DLC is released I'd love for DTG to release a package of the sounds recorded on your recording day. Bet it would be fascinating. A wonderful video. IMG_20220320_100312_edit_30445547264103.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Well after watching the video, and reading the article, I do hope to hear what both the 8F and/or Jubilee is gonna be sounding like in TSW during the stream later today. It is the one thing that cannot fail (that and the smoke effects).
    [also to note that it's been a while since you guys did a dev diary video, well done]

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

I have faith in the team, I know these locos will sound incredible. I’m excited to get my hand on this later this month!

• Like Like x 1
  9. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

There is plenty! Jamie, Adam, and Matt will have lots of stuff to share.

• Like Like x 9
  10. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Personally, I think there is alot of waffling on in the video, makes it too long

• Like Like x 3
  11. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Well well well.

Welcome to the party DTG. That video is bloody awesome. Fantastic work and so interesting.

TrainSim-Matt im shamelessly tagging you to say great work by the team and i hope we can see a steam train with all the steam engulfing it in timetable mode when it's stationary.

Excited to release the DTG moths from my wallet for this

• Like Like x 3
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t think recording the sounds is the bit we worry about, it’s more the implementation within the game and whether sounds play properly, at suitable levels and looping sounds looping properly. That’s where it all usually falls apart to varying degrees, especially on consoles (PS5 for me and worse for xbox users). I’m also hoping to hear mainly train and track sounds and not overbearing wind noise drowning it all out. There’s no opportunity to close the windows on the footplate of a steam loco, something that is a must in game in the cabs of the 377 and 387 in London Commuter to avoid the wind that is far too loud in the mix. I don’t expect it to be perfect but I do expect it to be listenable. It’s nice to hear about the trip the guys made to record the sounds but it’s how it ends up in the game that matters. Don’t let me down.

• Like Like x 14
  13. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Great job on the article- more like this please!!! :)

Honestly not a huge Steam buff, but i'll be pre-ordering just to support this attention to detail, dedication, and hopefully fantastic sounds- seems like the audio department is really ramping up, which is great for the game as a whole.

14. CrAzZyKiLLa

I can only hope for some ingame footage and sounds! I look forward to what you have planned for coming preview streams!

15. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Like the Article and I do have a feeling they can replicate this method when it comes to German Steam locomotives which are DB BR001 DB BR082 Koblenz Lutzel. Locomotive link is in German Language

• Like Like x 1
  16. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Dovetail Games should to get their own headboard made for trips like these. A good office ornament too :D

• Like Like x 2
  17. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

This was a great presentation! Seeing how much work went into getting all the various sounds really puts a smile to my face. I was hugely impressed by the in-game sound demonstration! Even though there was no video of the locomotives, the sound itself was so convincing that I could imagine being there besides the locos or in the cab! Can't wait for this to arrive!

18. CrAzZyKiLLa

The only question I had about the ingame recordings was it from the footplate or the external camera? Otherwise they sounded great! TrainSim-Matt

19. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I can't get excited about the sounds until I actually hear them in the game. It was great having a flashy video with developers explaining how amazing steam is, but I'll reserve judgement for whenever the first preview stream is.

I was glad to hear they were also able to get recordings of the Jubilee out on the mainline. The problem with getting recordings on preserved railways is that they're limited to 25mph so you can't hear what the locos sound like when they're being pushed to their limits. But recordings of a Jubilee charging up the Devon Banks should be great, looking forward to hearing them.

20. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bet on them making a german steam loco any time soon. The next German route isn't steam and DTG seem to have zero interest in German content that isn't present day stuff.

21. CrAzZyKiLLa

Ingame sounds were previewed from about 1:13:56

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. ehz0689

ehz0689 Well-Known Member

The video was different and I love it. Please consider to have more behind the scenes videos like this

• Like Like x 4
  23. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

This was a really interesting insight into the behind the scenes of sound. Although it would probably only appeal to a niche group, I would not have minded (as an audio guy myself) an even more in-depth and nerdy dive into the specific technical and practical techniques for getting the best possible recording, and editing, for super specific and pinpoint sounds.

24. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Nice samples! I am delighted \o/

• Like Like x 1
  25. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I agree. In the video they said steam trains are really loud in real life, well yeah der, but will that be transferred to game I doubt it. Perhaps DTG need reminding that diesel trains are loud in real life as well but in game they are so quiet. I hope the sos is good for people that want it but I'm struggling to get excited for it.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I couldn't hear any clickety-clack sounds at all, hopefully they will be present. Agreed on the volume, there is really a need for more sliders for audio settings as there is a need for more for graphics settings. Hopefully these things can be sorted out as Matt posted about on another thread that there is a bit of work to do so adding sliders is easier.

• Like Like x 4
  27. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

After watching the video I'm really happy in how much work is put into audio - so much that I considered buying this route just to show a signal of support, even though I'm not much into steam

Oh, and my wife said recently I'm not allowed to get any new TSW DLC until those promised preserve-crew updates finally come out

• Like Like x 1
  28. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

I still haven't caved in and bought SoS until there's a few patches, mainly for the improved fireman, water injection addition, rail joint sounds, and dynamic smoke colour; but from the streams I've seen we are missing sounds again:

No brake squeal on the locos or coaches
    No vac brake sounds in the cab
    No sound of the reverser winding.
    No flange sounds on the coaching stock.

I hope these will be sorted out soon.

• Like Like x 3
  29. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

The sounds of the loco's themselves are fine but as you say a lot of the controls are silent. It has potential but the audio has let it down, as has been the case since the early days of TSC where MSTS freeware audio out performed the new RS. And some wonder why AP and SSS have a market.

I have driven it a few times but have tired of it now. I think with the AI audio fixed and track joint sounds fixed it will be a better experience. Hopefully they will add things like vacuum brake sounds and flange sounds on the coaching stock as it will complete the experience.

• Like Like x 2