Train Sim World 2 - Spirit Of Steam Taking Stock

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, May 17, 2022.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 21
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

lovely \o/

Not interested in steam but this is the biggest "can't wait" in my playing TSW history.
    The images look gorgeous <3

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Either, that means there will be some local services included with the two steams. Or (as a long shot) a possibility of adding in a loco add-on in the near future. [Just speculating here]

Either way, should be interesting to see what it really looks like on stream this week.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Let's hope that when the preview stream is shown and if everything runs well that the final product will be good and not riddled with issues or performance problems. Often times dtg show a preview stream with everything be good but the final product will just be a mess.

• Like Like x 5
  5. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

If you read the captions one of the pictures shows a local service. They are using the Jubilee for the local.
    Hopefully with more DLC over the next few years something more suitable will sub in.

• Like Like x 4
  6. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

Something I love about looking at the screenshots here is that it looks like all of the available rolling stock will be utilised here, especially with the freight stock, considering that we have had routes that either don't use certain freight wagons to their fullest or aren't even touched at all (Horseshoe's Gondola and Flatcar anyone?).

But the image that most interests me is the one that's actually been used as the header on this thread (and seen in the article) as it's show that firstly, that the Crimson & Cream Mk1 livery will be utilised here, secondly that we will see mixed liveried mk1's consists on this route and finally, that it's a local train consisting of only 5 coaches pulled by a Jubilee. This pretty much confirms that the Jubilee will work more local trains on this route (which also hopefully means that we will get services that join the route at Runcorn coming from Chester).

• Like Like x 4
  7. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

I'm liking the look toward the bridge at Runcorn

• Like Like x 1
  8. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

I mean personally I'm okay with the Jubilee on local services for now but hopefully we get some thing more suitable at some stage

• Like Like x 2
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

eventually, maybe not exactly accurate info :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I do have the tiniest of nitpicks: the 8F is depicted as old, worn and dirty, its original shiny black livery aged to a dull brownish-grey. And that's fine.
    But in that case, why is the BR logo on it so bright and sparkly-new looking?

• Like Like x 1
  11. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

Better having that then no local services! It is not 100 % accurate but iirc it ran sometimes local ones but normally express. I think its fun to have them also as local!

• Like Like x 1
  12. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Hopefully the DLC to add a smaller tender loco and maybe a 2MT or 4MT tank loco is already underway.

And (with apologies for bold letters), can someone at DTG please comment, Why is there no buffet or restaurant car included with the new Mark One builds??

• Like Like x 3
  13. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

The only thing that bugs me now is now seeing the driver/fireman without hats on :P Otherwise this is looking like an amazing piece of DLC and I cant wait to see more and get my hands on it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Definitely agree, hence why I said I dont mind having the Jubilee on locals! :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Why couldn't dlc have got the route as it was? If the Juilbee didn't do local runs then why is it in the game? There is always something with dtg. TSW2 is supposed to be a sim, a reflection of reality no?

16. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Absolutely like it and for DLC Locomotive why not add in LMS Ivatt 2-6-2 Arthur LMS Black Five Henry. For the Black Five Henry it can have Fish Waggons homage to the Flying Kipper and MK1 Sleeper Coaches towards Cornwall Penzance.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

The hype for this feels more real than ever - this is going to be great !

• Like Like x 2
  18. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Thursdays stream is going to be very popular!

• Like Like x 7
  19. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

DTG have actually done some decent marketing with this, the teaser streams, the behind the scenes, the new people, the regular screen shots. Hats off, I hope this routes a success and they continue their method of promotion

• Like Like x 9
  20. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

There are just too few locos available. German routes also started to get busy & variety since rush hour after 10 german route dlcs.

Im sure dtg has already plans for loco addons.

• Like Like x 1
  21. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

Just out of interest which platform will be utilised on Thursday's preview stream?

DTG Protagonist stated in one of the early SoS streams that the key to immersion was "getting the sound right". Hopefully Xbox sound issue is close to being resolved?

• Like Like x 3
  22. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Man…. it genuinely looks so amazing! Wow! I might give this one a try even though I‘ve never really bothered with steam engines before. You can really feel the passion the developers have for this DLC, the marketing has been top notch.

• Like Like x 2
  23. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I do totally agree with what you say, I'm at the same spot right now :)

• Like Like x 2
  24. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I must have missed something.
    Everyone is ecstatic with this future DLC, but apart from images and sound recordings, there are no videos where we see the locomotive in motion.
    I loved driving these locomotives in TS, but let's not jump to the ceiling, knowing DTG. No videos of this machine and this road, maybe promising.
    I would wait for reviews before buying.

• Like Like x 1
  25. joshuajcouch

joshuajcouch New Member

The first teaser from two weeks ago has ‘locomotives in motion’ footage.

• Like Like x 1
  26. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

U cannot just make an steam loco in a week mate. There must be an dlc coming to do the local ones but atleast be happy for some variation. U also don't need to buy it if u don't like it

• Like Like x 1
  27. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Life is an art of compromise :)

• Like Like x 1
  28. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

The Runcorn road bridge looks completely wrong to how I remember it. Is this a “work in progress “ shot?

29. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

That's because the road bridge didn't exist in 1958. It was being constructed at that time and wouldn't open for another 3 years in 1961. The bridge you see next to the rail bridge in that shot is actually the Transporter Bridge that was around in 1958, that actually had a gondola that transported a road section back and forth across the river:
    [​IMG]
    It closed in 1961, around the same time the bridge you see today opened. But there are still remnants of the transporter bridge if you know where to look.

Image Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widnes-Runcorn_Transporter_Bridge

• Like Like x 10
  30. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 11
  31. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

The shed staff would often clean up the area around the logo on an otherwise filthy loco. I think it may have been a remnant of LMS practice.

• Like Like x 5
  32. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

I'd say we should keep our hats on until the final product has arrived and delivered. DTG's track record and everything considered.

• Like Like x 2
  33. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Let's also hope that the sounds are realistic and authentic as well, and Finally, we will be able to hear more train track sounds, especially the clickety-clack sound, or turning through the curve, whistle sound high and low, and normal rumbling and chucking sound of the steam going through the rail track, and junction switch sound. They can't go wrong in this department since they actually really record it directly from the train and railway itself. Let's just hope so. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  34. tallboy7648

Considering DTG's track record, I wouldn't expect proper track sounds on this route. I hope to be wrong though

• Like Like x 1
  35. tallboy7648

Might want to put the hat back on until the route is released and reviews come in given dtg's track record.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Coastway trainspotter

Pun intended ?

• Like Like x 1
  37. tallboy7648

Maybe ;)

• Like Like x 1
  38. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I watched a short piece of the stream and I must say it looks interesting. Totally not interested in steam but it looks good. But for this one I really gonna have to wait until a PS5 is normally available in shops. Normally I don't spend too much time inspecting every detail of a train but this looks like a route where you want to see every detail of the train shine.

I haven't watched the entire stream. What are the limitations on last gen or was that not mentioned yet?

• Like Like x 1
  39. Coastway trainspotter

Last gen will have a reduced timetable , that’s what I remember Matt saying

40. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I hope for your sake there is DLC coming. And you're right I do not have to buy it which is why I'm not.

• Like Like x 1
  41. TheTipsyRaccoon

TheTipsyRaccoon Well-Known Member

Last gen are getting less AI traffic and static units in depots etc, the timetable and content between gen 8 and gen 9 consoles are identical.

42. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

I'm sure I read or heard a while ago that the SoS Mk1s had AP sounds, correct me if I'm wrong as I might have dreamt it. But the on the preview vids I didn't hear anything coming from the coaches. No railjoints, no brake rub and no rumble.

And why does the 8F not have any shadow underneath. I can't post a screenshot at the moment but theres daylight under the loco - watch the snowy scenario James did and it's really obvious and immersion breaking.

• Like Like x 1
  43. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Not sure of the mechanics how it all works, but would assume if the sounds are present on the loco and stock these have to be triggered by a region definition on the track itself, similar to MSTS or TSC. This would tally with what appears to be the requirement to completely redo any operational track, if the editor doesn’t allow changes to the properties once baked. In essence still an almighty gaffe by whoever laid the track for not ticking the box, or not speaking up that something had gone skew whiff in the editor. P45 incoming?

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  44. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I can help but think of what Matt said (in the state of the game stream if I recall correctly) about how everything is developed in isolation and only put together at the very end. I'd bet that's why it slipped through. The route builders didn't notice since they only build the route and don't run anything on it. The loco builders didn't notice it since they develop their locos and test them on separate test tracks. Only shortly before release are the works of both teams put together and someone in QA (if we give them the benefit of doubt) goes "Wait a second, where's the track sound?"

• Like Like x 5
  45. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

46. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

DTG got their own recordings.

47. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

Not for the coaches, that was AP sounds. DTG did locos only

48. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

They recorded the Mark 1s too.

• Like Like x 1
  49. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

They did not, I promise you.

50. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure during the sound stream/video that they stated that they recorded the 8F and also recorded Mark 1 sounds at the Great Central Railway. The Jubilee sounds meanwhile were recorded from a mainline rail tour by Bossman Games I believe.

Edit: As I understand it, when they go for a recording session they record as much rolling stock as they have access or time to do so, simply because it never hurts to have extra recordings.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 3