Add List Of Routes Loco's Are Included In

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by gazz292, Sep 11, 2018.

1. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

Just ordered 3 of the 'pro range' loco's in the sale, clicked the 'unlock activation key' thus making them uneligable for a refund... entered the codes into steam... first 2 fine.. adding now... 3rd one... 'can't add to steam, as you already own this item'

ballcocks... turns out the loco was included in one of the routes i already have.

luckily it was the cheapest loco.. at 4 quid, i'd have been really annoyed if it was a 20 quid one tho,
    i have quite a few routes and thus loads of roling stock.... half of which i hardly ever drive as i prefer driving the vR expert line / pro range ones which you have to learn all the controls and safety systems to use (no stop - go or even intermediate control options on them)

Is it possible to add to loco's for sale, a little note saying if they come with certian routes?

i know if i bought them off steam it wouldnt let me buy duplicates, i stupidly figured the maker of Train simulator would have a similar system, or a way to get a refund if you accidentily order a duplicate.

2. gazz292

Now i am annoyed,

i bought the virtual railroads BR103 TEE from dovetail store as part of the 3 loco's i bought today,

i already have the vR BR103 Orient Red version of that loco and love all it's features and noises it makes as you change things to drive it and as Vr don't do a repaint, i figured this was a cheap way to get the cream and red striped version of the same loco.

but they are not the same loco's....

Firstly the lovely automatic tap changer sound is totally missing, it's such an awesome sound with it clunking away as you select the notch on the wheel,

And lots of things have been disabled, there's no battery switch or function... nor the compressor start up, traction motor blowers, transformer 120 / 140 kmh switch, pantograph pre-select, and no LZB either !!!

I thought i was buying the vR version... it said in the sale listing that it was the virtual railroads version, there was no mention that it had been stripped of a lot of it's features,

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Try reinstalling your "other version" again and see if it makes a difference. I find when installing things that instantly running verification and installing the "new" over the "old" can stop some of these problems.

4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Your suggestion about a list is a very good idea, but you'd have to make it on your own and keep it up to date -- neither one is an easy task. At one time, I created databases of rolling stock included in American, British, and German routes, including screenshots of each item. After a while, however, I stopped updating them and then lost track.

Your problem goes back at least to the ancient Romans, who warned, "Caveat emptor": "Let the buyer beware". The Steam store used to warn buyers who already owned one or more bundled items; evidently, that doesn't happen anymore. Before buying a bundle, it's a good idea to open your manuals folder and search for the name of each item: this takes time and patience, but perhaps saves money. As to missing features on a new version of a DLC product, may I suggest that you read that single product's information page before buying?

I know -- too late, but perhaps you should try sending a ticket to DTG support:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

It does, but only if you bought the item through stem in the first place. For instance I bought the Kyle line from JT months before DTG put it on steam, so I have the line and all that comes with it, but the Steam store doesn't know this, so doesn't flag it as "in my library"
    A good idea, but dependant on the name of the loco being the name of the manual. Items such as the PDL or London Brighton route have locos in the manual, but the manual is named after the line.

I don't think there's an easy solution on this one

6. gazz292

I've just submitted a ticket, mostly about the BR103 TEE... as i've already activated the codes i can imagine they will not do anything about it,

So i wonder if i can salvage anything... the BR103 ORot is the same loco, but the true expert line version with all features active, wonder if i can use the textures from the TEE to re-skin an ORot version,
    i've never done a repaint before so dont know if it's be a simple job of copying the texture files over, or if i need to play in another program...blender, 3Dmax or something... i can just about work inkscape tho

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

With RWTools you can create a list of every item of rolling stock you own and it tells you which package it can be found in.
    It takes about 15 mins depending on how many assets you have and it exports in to an Excel Sheet.
    I have mine split in to four tabs with UK Stock, EU Traction, EU Wagons and US Stock.
    It takes a bit of time to sort things as you want them but it's worth the effort
    http://www.rstools.info/DL.html

Peter

8. gazz292

brilliant, thanks....

i never thought i'd be building up a collection of routes and loco's big enough to ever worry about duplicates,