Calling Modder "greggr1"

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG Matt, May 27, 2022.

1. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Hi,

Trying to get hold of GreggR1 from the TSC website - if you can send me a DM please.

Starting to test mods with the upcoming DLC 64gb manager and just want to talk with some modders whose mods are having problems so that we can figure out the best solution. GreggR1 is the first - as we need to get in touch with others, i'll post in here so if you're a modder, keep an eye out please :)

Thanks
    Matt.

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

Professor Matt is handing out detentions

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. StenioBlackHawnk

StenioBlackHawnk Active Member

Xbox and PS must be having a good laugh from us now, thank you very much consoles! ‍:|

4. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

This would be a PC/modders dream but it would be really, really cool if you guys could officially support mods and/or allow modders more access to the game, so we can do more things with it.

Quite a few simulator games already do this. It shows huge support to the modding community, as well as grows the player base for TSW. Just look at how popular SCS’s Euro Truck Simulator is with mods, and some of the fantastic creations the community has made.

• Like Like x 29
  5. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

It would only be a PC exclusive thing as console support (especially the earlier gen ones) would really struggle with some mods that have higher res textures etc

6. F-Block

F-Block Well-Known Member

Many moders have had issues with different DLC loading on the Epic Games version in comparison to the Steam version. We believe to be able to track it down to the requirement of a "EpicStoreItemId" in the .dlc and not the Steam equivalant "SteamAppId". So extra testing on these IDs, like cases where the same ID is used twice (which I believe is a bit weird on Steam, but no on Epic) or a null ID, would be very important in my eyes.
    Also personally I have no experience with the GDK aka. Microsoft Store version, but have heard nothing about compatibility issues from users of my mods from that version, but that could also just because of the small userbase.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It would be nice if DTG could incorporate more mods into the console version - like the new sky box feature. That was a very nice piece of work and it’s great it’s in the game.

• Like Like x 6
  8. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

Hi Matt,

I have sent you a Direct Message :).

Kind Regards
    Ryan Gregg

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

i'm posting this here in the hope someone from DTG gets to read this, i've mentioned this before in other threads.

What would be really nice is to have an API like there is in TSC which allows us to call out data from the train/sim.

I think the one in TSC is the 'raildriver'dll' but i could be wrong.

But basically do like most other simulators do... i.e. Omsi, LOTUS, ETS, TSC, Zusi and so on,
    it allows people to write programs that can read the simulators data and do things with it,

i.e joystick support for home made controllers..... on TSC we have CobraOnes joystick interface, which is amazing in what it can do, and not just for people who are building controllers, you can remap the buttons on a console controller, access all the switches and levers in a loco that work with the mouse but do not have a keyboard key assigned to it.

Also the people who are writing EBuLa's / burschfahrplans for some of the routes in TSW2 can move to the next level, and have a fully working EBuLa (or whatever the version is in american / uk trains... or even a simple picture of a clipboard with the drivers duty on it... stations to stop at and when etc)
    The programs could can ask TSW2 for the trains location and update the EBuLa screen as you drive !!

just like we can do now in TSC with TS-MFD.

Also allow those who want to use 2nd screens, android / apple phones and tablets etc have the trains 'dashboard' displayed on them, called the MFA screens in german trains, i.e. the speedo, traction meter, PZB lights, the other screens with catenary voltage and current the loco is drawing etc.

Could be very handy with the steam trains, instead of having loads of overlays on the main screen spoiling the view of the cab, you could have all the data on what the train is doing on a 2nd monitor / android tablet / ipad/phone, and even have touch screen controls to operate things.

You could even have a fireman app in the future, where a friend can fire the engine whilst you drive it,

the possibilities are endless, but without access to the data that other 'lesser' simulators have, we can't do anything.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

Im really interested in an android dashboard. I was looking for something like this for ages. An API is definitely the best thing could happen to TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gazz292

It really immerses you into the simulator more than you can ever imagine,

For Train Simulator Classic / 20xx there is https://www.ts-mfd.de/
    It takes a little bit of working out how to set things up for each train with google translate as it's in German,

Here's a photo i've posted before, it's when i was testing the levers i am making for my 'Euro RailDriver' control box, i'm driving a train in TSC with the levers, and the 2 android tablets are running TS-MFD (i can use the laptop or a third tablet for the central MFA / speedo screen when i am using the main computer for the simulator, and the tv on the wall for the view out the cab window.
    Levers.jpg

The EBuLa is fully working, the diamond moves up the screen as you progress along the route, and changes to the next screen as it reaches the top, and some of the buttons work around the screen.

it really makes is a much nicer drive to be able to glance at the EBuLa and see what speed restrictions are ahead of you... the next speed limit in TSW2 can catch you out, quite a few times i've slowed for a ~80kph limit, only to find out that 20 meters later we cross over 4 tracks and it's 40kph over the points,

The EBuLa would have warned me of that as i could see the stacked speed reductions.

12. mike.obrebski

mike.obrebski Active Member

My 2 cents.. DTG not supporting mods is a business model decision. This allows them control over what they release without having to devote resources to API development, publishing standards.. It's really changing the product into a platform. And it comes down to the fact, that they want to make money from their own published content and the constant stream of DLC income.
    I fully support the platform model and some of the best and my favorite games work like that. XPlane, Arma just to name 2. Developers focus on creating the best platform and providing services to allow content from 3rd parties. The great thing about that is you have a constant stream of interest in the game, which builds loyalty and unending engagement, without the challenges of scaling your own content development. Everyone wins, especially the user who will never tire of the game and can configure the type of experience they personally prefer. Some enjoy train system details, others an engaging environment. It's a long term strategy.
    The downside for software company investors is not seeing that sweet quarter over quarter revenue stream from DLCs and growth which they can leverage into selling the company. With DTGs current primary focus on DLCs, I would not expect any resources shifted to supporting mods which yield them no profits.
    Bottom line... DTG is not interested in supporting mods. IMO

• Like Like x 1
  13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Also, the present wink and a nod attitude toward PC mods allows them to avoid the appearance if treating console players as second class citizens

14. gazz292

they also need to keep people interested in the sim,

Yes they make money by selling DLC, but they also sell the main sim package.

Back in 2013 when i made some videos of my Omsi bus dashboard, starting from a plank of wood with the dashboard texture printed out and stuck on it with some lights and a gauge or 2, to getting a real dashboard and connecting it all up so everything worked with the computer,
    There were people who had never considered a bus driving sim, thinking it was for geeks only.

But seeing that it was more than just something that is totally based on the computer screen got sales of the simulator to people who were more interested in the challenge of making their own dashboards, or converting real parts to work with the sim... they then went on to buy more official DLC to have fun with.

Even today there are people buying Omsi2 for the first time, and development stopped in 2017.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Just to stop this growing in all directions, there are no plans to change the current approach with respect to unofficial mods.

I want to make sure as far as possible that as we build the game and change it, we don't get in the say of modding but there are no plans to expand or make support more official.

In this case we have the new dlc manager and I want to make sure as much as I can that it doesn't stop mods from working - though I will caveat that this doesn't mean no mods will break, the goal is to minimise it and try to make workarounds where reasonable to keep things going, hence getting in touch with some mod creators to ask why they are doing certain things thayxmight be causing the update to crash.

So to summarise:
    Not promising all your mods will work after the update
    Will do our best to try and minimise the issue and ensur3 it at least doesn't cause crashing
    Not planning to expand official support of mods
    No plans for further external api interfaces at this time.

I get the benefits of mod support and external api support but we have a long list of things that everyone can benefit from that need doing before we start looking at single platform tasks like this.

Matt

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. gazz292

can i ask if there is still the plan to have joystick support?

so people can use things like logitech / saitek throttle levers, various plane throttle / mixture / flaps / HOTAS controllers and so on.
    as they are a very good way to get extra immersion when driving trains.

i get that not many people want to try and replicate the driving desk of a train from the sim like i am doing,

I used to use a Saitek 3 lever usb controller in TSC, and found it's way more fun to drive a train with levers than the keyboard.

throttle levers.jpg

i'd hope joystick support would include the ability to assign joystick buttons to the switches in the trains cabs?

As that is the part i am missing from my 'Euro RailDriver' project, i am replicating the various switches that have to be used to set a train up, but some of them do not have a key binding, so i have to use the mouse to move them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Have I missed something here?

new dlc manager?

• Like Like x 1
  18. gazz292

i suspect this is for the PS5, to enable you to select which DLC's you have visible on the system so it gets around sony's stupid 65GB limit for a single game with all DLC.

19. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Ah that makes sense

20. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Read the thread post the system will be implemented for every type of platform

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

First, sorry PC guys for holding you back, second, Joystick/HOTAS support would be useful for us console peasants as well, particularly after the recent push from a lot of companies in the flight sim hardware space to make things xbox compatible for MSFS. It seems to be a pretty big market.

It wouldn't be hard to envisage having (at least) between 1 and 4 levers that could be used for everything, and I'd guess could be modded by who wants absolute fidelity to have notches or other train oriented features.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  22. gazz292

i do i have both the PS5 and the PC version of this sim,

it's nice to lay on the bed sometimes and play TSW2 on the big screen... i do use a keyboard tho (the one i 3D printed new keys for to make it into a TSW2 driving keyboard only)

That is great news that consoles are finally allowing different types of controllers to be used, was a time when they really tried to lock you into using their controller only, or their version of a steering wheel etc.

And using a different kind of controller started with hacking the 'official one'
    Then someone figures out the protocols used and you have a new controller released with features the console makers didn't think people wanted.

Re: the levers thing, 5 driving levers seems to cover pretty much any train (tho i do only drive the German ones) giving AFB/Cruise control, Power, Air brake, Dynamic brake and loco / independent brake.
    When driving an EMU, just ignore the other levers that are not in use (i did make a controller once just for driving EMU's, with a single lever)

Then the rest is switches.. wipers, headlights, doors, horn etc.

Half of that already works with a RailDriver, just a real raildriver is not much fun to use on a european train, hence i'm using someones workaround that allows an arduino to send lever positions to the raildriver code in the sim, but it's only got the lever part working, no button input.

• Like Like x 1
  23. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Isn't the pres crew adding that with each route they work on?

24. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member