Spirit Of Steam Post Release Feedback. The Definitive Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, May 31, 2022.

1. jamesthepershing

jamesthepershing Active Member

My thoughts exactly.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jamesthepershing

I also meant the joint sounds. The old annoying loud and baseless CLACK

• Like Like x 1
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I used to call that the "Microsoft Anvil" as that's what it sounded like.

Well on the basis of what's being posted so far plus the jackhammer bug being introduced across the game, have decided to cancel and refund (no doubt getting a warning from Steam, but hey ho). Once credited I will be getting the Marches route and Bossman Clan Line for TSC (or maybe North Wales and the Royal Scot). Rapidly going cool on TSW right now.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Isn't the jackhammer bug Xbox only and not remotely new?

• Like Like x 2
  5. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Sorry, I misread your initial message. The loco sounds are all new, the mineral wagons were recorded at Great Central Railway (and are new to the game), but other wagons are used from NTP. No Kuju sounds though.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. DTG JD

Yes. Jackhammer only affects Xbox OldVern.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying the driving but frame rates in large yards are terrible despite simplified scenery and almost no AI trains on PS4.

Maybe they should have put steam on the WSR to begin with? Steam simulation good, route not so much...

• Like Like x 1
  8. royalscot#3684

Oddly the fireman is there in timetable mode (Although he is a she and bizarrely she is wearing jeans rather than overalls. We also have female passengers wearing trousers and older men wearing jeans - something very rare in the 1950s. You really need a better historical advisor!).

• Like Like x 5
  9. DTG JD

Yes, I believe it's only in the tutorials (and a couple of scenarios) they're invisible in.

On the clothing, it's something we've seen mentioned a few times. Something to review in the future, but not currently a top priority.

10. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

My " honey do " list is much longer since I retired. I used to have more " train time " when I was working!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I guess it's harder to say you're having a break from the slog of work, when you've not necessarily "been out to work". I've had similar when I'm working from home. Apparently it doesn't count as much

• Like Like x 1
  12. royalscot#3684

Thanks for the reply. As a railway modeller I tend to spot these things! They really are quite jarring as incorrect dress often stands as much as the wrong locomotive on a route.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Is it out yet? Or do we have to wait for the Steam Gods to wake up at 1 PM Eastern Time to finally get the DLC?

14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I only have the following words to say (from a PS5 player’s perspective)…

You have to buy this route.

(Okay, you don’t have to buy it if you don’t want but I highly recommend it.)

A couple of observations I have made so far…

The very first thing the route introduction has you do is place a route map. There is no route map texture though, just a textured black area both before and after adding the non-map.

After the tutorial for the 8F I went straight in and picked a random freight service and got a spurious ‘signal passed at danger’ when nowhere near a signal, don’t know what the service was though.

My fireman on the next 8F run just wouldn’t stop shovelling coal even after reaching my destination. He kept bouncing me out of the way when I was trying to operate the dampers and blower. We had fun though.

I was also getting unexpected wheelslip in the 8F at higher speeds when the reverser was set below 30% even with low regulator input. Increasing the cut-off to above 30% stopped the wheelslip whereas I would have expected it to make no difference or make it worse. Maybe that’s my misunderstanding of the effect it should have but I couldn’t see a reason for wheelslip happening in the first place.

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

So, I assume You are delighted, at least :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Just had a run non stop from Crewe to Euston. On the whole I really enjoyed it, despite the excessive blowing off and somewhat disappointing particle effects.

I don't know the full list of the Jubilees featured, but I am glad that at least 45596 Bahamas is in there, so any railtour scenarios either in the future by DTG or the creator's club, have at least one of preserved loco to work with. For true authenticity they'd have to fit it with the double chimney it was equipped with from 1961, however I doubt many would notice.

17. facundo.dim

facundo.dim Active Member

Day one patch? Since when do we have day one patches?

18. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

Why the hell would you ever work for someone else? ? ? What a waste of time. more importantly why would you take time off work to play a game? Madnesss

• Like Like x 5
  19. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

We’ve had a few over the years as they quite often can’t get their last minute updates into the final release as they have had to send the build early to Sony and Microsoft.
    It’s usually for the game breaking bugs.

20. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

So far I've only done most of the tutorials, except the refueling one, and one service which was not completed due to harsh braking at slow speed. I've enjoyed the experience so far and I have only had a few small issues with it I. The route map on Xbox one is quite laggy even if in the world you're in the middle of nowhere with nothing else around. AI traffic has been a bit weird, I saw a Jubilee service leave Limestreet with a redlamp on the front and no visible/audible chuff sounds or cylinder drains when the train set off.
    Xbox draw distance makes the beginning of the cutting at Limestreet look awful as the wall doesn't load in, so there are floating buildings and a horrible stretched grass texture that is usually behind the walls.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Steam download has just kicked off for those waiting for PC.

• Like Like x 1
  22. samfjsmith

samfjsmith New Member

Has anyone found a manual yet or list of keyboard commands? I’m an occasional PC player but mainly Xbox. Thought this might be the best place to ask

• Like Like x 1
  23. lancpudn

lancpudn Active Member

WOOOOHOOOOO.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  24. royalscot#3684

Scenario editor is very buggy. Lots of false SPADs at Crewe and coming out of Lime Streets. AI trains don't load properly at some platforms at Crewe. Weird stretched textures visible.

Some of the textures are very low resolution, especially the iconic walls coming out of Lime Street. Lineside fencing missing in lots of places. Scenery generally looks unfinished on the WCML proper as though they didn't have time to finish that bit off. Lots of scenery popping near Runcorn.

Stations are generally modelled okay but some are missing lamps and detail. Font on station signboards is wrong - it should be Gill Sans. People behave oddly and are dressed even odder. Men are wearing straw boaters as though it's 1908 rather than 1958. Women's clothes are even worse and there are Asian people with blonde hair!

Overall on PS 4 it looks VERY empty to the point of being ridiculous if you know this area.. Putting blue diesels on it 70s style to give it more life was quite fun but the scenario editor problems are significant and make this hard too.

Overall a very unfinished product that I hope will get heavily patched - although I said that about West Cornwall..

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  25. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Just started playing on PC and I love it. The trains look so good so well modelled and detailed and the sounds are spot on. Very loud if using headphones. Had a derail on the signalling tutorial was not going very fast. I think this is a known issue. But otherwise very impressed. User generated scenarios already appearing and plenty of services/Scenarios included to keep you busy.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

As I was finishing up the first service in Chapter 2 of the journey mode, I somehow derailed right when I reached the stopping point. No idea if this is driver error or a bug.

27. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

So, speculate away, a new Easter Egg?

upload_2022-5-31_18-14-16.png

• Like Like x 8
  28. chieflongshin

And this is period clothing?

upload_2022-5-31_18-16-16.png

• Like Like x 3
  29. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Definitely just an innocent easter egg, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

But ohhhhh boy an Edinburgh to Dundee route set in the early 60s at the twilight of the A4's careers would be absolutely brilliant.

• Like Like x 4
  30. jamesthepershing

Blower - N/Shift+N
    Damper M/Shift+M & Ctrl M/Ctrl shift M
    Cylinder drains - C
    Large ejector - J/Shift+J
    Small ejector - ctrl+J / cteo+shift+J

Everything else is the same.

• Helpful Helpful x 7
  31. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

Played a liitle.
    1. AI train's running with red lamp on front.
    2. If you get out of the firemans seat you can get stuck in the roof.
    3. Lag spikes! Even on my RX 6900 XT. Turning screen from 200% to 100% helped a little.
    4. The world seems a bit dead! Can spawn at a station or yard and nothing is happening anywhere.

• Like Like x 2
  32. VictoryWorks

VictoryWorks Well-Known Member

Sheesh that's awful :(

• Like Like x 3
  33. chieflongshin

I've noticed the timing is off on the fireman too. His shovel is going into the fire when the doors are shut and coming out as they open. Sounds are great and I note they have carried over the rust on the unused parts of rail. Playing on pc though the yards do look a bit wastelandish on here too.

Trains drive really nice.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Paul Simnel

Paul Simnel New Member

Overall Spirit of Steam is great, it even triggers muscle memory when reaching for the regulator. They have definitely nailed the feel.
    I have noticed a couple of minor issues [PC]:

In 8F timetable scenario "Branch Freight: Clock Face Colliery - Speke Junction 07:33" The train has unfitted 16t mineral wagons at either end and 5 plank fitted wagons in the middle. The issue is it spawns at the start of the scenario with the vacuum brakes on the 5 Plank wagons ON. I couldn't get the train started at first, either wheel slip of full reg and reverser without wheel slip but it wouldn't budge. Tried rolling back into the train to compress the couplings, got moving at 2mph, then hit a brick wall. Much messing around later (while the reg reverser and sander were still on, it felt like the brakes were on, check handbrakes, and as I pulled the strings to release the vacuum brakes on te 5 planks the train started to move. Finished the scenario, restarted, pulled the strings on the 5 plank wagons (can't release them from the loco as there is no brake pipe connection through the 16T mineral wagons), started the train no problem without sand. It only appears to be an issue on spawn, after applying the vacuum on the loco it releases and still rolls along nicely. Not sure if this might be an issue for other scenarios with unfitted wagons between the loco and fitted wagons. It is perhaps a testament to how good the simulation feels and is that a model spawn issue can be diagnosed and solved by applying real world knowledge and problem solving to the feedback the game is giving you - even if the original issue was caused by an error.

Also: The AI appears to be trying to constantly trying to open and shut/adjust the dampers, with the associated sond playing in the cab on the 8F every few second. When looking at the damper you can see the value flicking between 100% and 98% and back to 100% every few seconds, the change corresponding with the sound. Also seen it happen with the value flicking between 75% and 73% - as if one command tells it to close and another to open in a repetitive loop. It's not constant, it depends on conditions, perhaps when the triger is not near the threshold, it picks a value sticks at it for a while.

The Coal load texture on the 16T mineral wagons sticks out the bottom of the wagon (it also appears a little low/less than full):

As I said, overall very good so far with a great feel to it which is important, just minor issues that can be solved.

Also I'm not familiar with this forum, is this the sort of report they want in the "Technical Report" sections?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. DTG JD

I believe this is mentioned here - braking sharply at low speeds can cause a derailment. It's something we're looking at, as it's a little harsh at the moment. It may simulate a derailment in real life, but it's a little punishing at the moment.

36. DTG JD

Hi Paul - hope I've got the right end of the stick with the Colliery scenario, but the lack of movement of the mineral wagons is known and a fix is coming (it's mentioned here that pulling the brake cord on each wagon is a workaround for now).

On the AI - can I check - is that on full automatic mode, or assisted?

37. chieflongshin

I'll be honest, hang my head in shame. I've played through a couple of the tutorials, started a service and dropped out of it halfway through. It just doesn't feel complete at the moment to me and didn't hook me in like I thought it may. If I compare it to the life and how busy lines are I've recently seen on horseshoe, the scenic density of some of the German routes and the variety of stock etc it just doesn't catch me how they do. People are dressed so oddly too

Sorry DTG but I think for me personally this will be one I revisit when there's more happening on the route. I've not seen hardly any of the line but to be fair I'd rather the £25 back and watch it on stream until its busier.

There's a huge amount of effort gone into the route I know and I applaude/appreciate this, I genuinely hope it is a success however I think it's too early for me to jump on this train.

i

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  38. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I'm quite liking it. I've seen a few of the male models in those hats and it does look a bit odd. The auto fireman is a bit wonky, I noticed quite often the firebox doors kept opening and shutting, resulting in the shovel often going through the doors.

39. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This makes me feel better about refunding earlier. Currently having my own Spirit Of Steam with the Bossman Clan Line on the original Somerset & Dorset in TSC.

• Like Like x 6
  40. lancpudn

lancpudn Active Member

Nice work DTG's it's chuffing great (pun intended) :)

• Like Like x 1
  41. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I had bought it, but in view of the different videos, I preferred to take my money back.
    For now, no purchase in sight until everything is improved. That is to say... never.

• Like Like x 4
  42. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

The AI locos do not have chugging sounds when departing or moving, all you can hear is the clanking.

Are any DTG staff members ok to pass the word on?

I have submitted a ticket but I feel with an update in 2 weeks, this is a priority and ruins the immersion of passing locos when in free mode..

43. DTG JD

Yep, this is logged with the team. Thanks for letting us know.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. opswintercourse

opswintercourse Member

I mean it's not bad, definitely a start.

Just stopped at Speke with a goods train to find that when I stopped the whole train tipped on its side!

Passenger trains should only have 1 tail lamp on the back not two, buckeye should default to the lowered position on the end of the coaches and I can't shut the inward opening guards door from the platform.

I'd like to see some steam leaking from between carriages when the steam heat is on, and maybe from the cylinders just for atmosphere.

When making a sharp brake application it'd be good to be able to hear DA valves operating from exterior views near the carriages.

Brakes on goods stock work at a minimum of 16 inches of vacuum not a minimum of 18-20 like passenger stock.

Fireman shoved me into the clipping in the tender where I got stuck on the jubilee!

Maybe sound sound as signals operate would be cool?

• Like Like x 1
  45. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

Hmmm…. Not a good experience so far…. Service one: got up from my seat in an 8F and took a step back… then fell through the tender and the train went over and then on without me…. Service two: shunting from engine sheds over to water…. Stunted out of siding, put reverser back in forward to find a jubilee now ahead and blocking the points…. Maybe I have been unlucky…..

• Like Like x 2
  46. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. niall101b

niall101b Member

I've played though the first few scenarios and the loco's have been enjoyable to drive which both having a simulated steam chest and a good feeling of weight and movement when in the loco'. I thought the sounds were well done for both loco's as well as the some of the wagons I listened to. The stations I saw were nicely done and I enjoyed the atmosphere watching steam pulled trains arrive and depart.

The route itself seemed quite nicely done from what I saw of it, I enjoyed going over a bridge in one of the introductory scenarios where the scenery around was of run down industry and decaying buildings, invoking a melocholy feeling of misery and hopelessness, just as Liverpool still does to this day.

I almost don't want to say this but if you are trying to recreate an authentic1950's experience perhaps having having a female fireman sitting in the cab with you half the time isn't really immersing me in the setting. As far as the internet tells me the first 'firewoman?' didn't pick up her shovel until 2006. With quite a few routes now I've been getting the distinct impression that DTG's historical routes exist in a sort of parallel universe signed off by the company's diversity and inclusion officer.

Overall however I've liked it and now hope that Dovetail will make a Black 5 and a shunting loco like a Jinty for the route and also maybe a Royal Scot, and more wagons.

• Like Like x 6
  48. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

Lovely DLC! Just two things:
    First, my fireman keeps visually disappearing. Is it just me? Second, what are the different difficulties/stages/nuances whatever you wanna call it between automatic firing, manual and assisted?

Great DLC, really enjoy it!

49. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 3
  50. royalscot#3684

What worries me is that after every bug is reported it seems DTG helpfully post that the bug is known. Well if you know it's this riddled with bugs why on earth did you release it in this state?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 20