New Tube Route + Passenger Announcements

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by polarisneo, May 30, 2022.

1. polarisneo

polarisneo Member

A new tube route would be great. I know we have the Bakerloo line... but at some point I do feel that it would only be right to finally tackle what I consider to be one of the biggest notable missing features in the game: passenger announcements.

The tube lines are probably the most iconic in regards to passenger announcements, so in my opinion it would be fitting that passenger announcement functionality is released alongside either an extension to the Bakerloo Line or a whole new line entirely. Perhaps Dovetail could outsource the actual route creation (expedited by the fact many TFL/Underground assets already exist) whilst their team implements the passenger announcements? Leaving Dovetails loco/route team can work on something else entirely

Not saying this should be an immediate priority but it also shouldn't be something that should be forgotten about imho.

Just my thoughts.. would love to hear others opinions especially in regards to passenger announcements

• Like Like x 5
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I still think the Northern Line, set back a few years when the 1972 or even 1959 stock was operating the route would be a nice shout. Good network rather than the linear Bakerloo. Mix of open air and tunnel running. Those scary narrow island platforms at Angel (before rebuilding) and several locations on the Morden extension. No parallel running with BR lines so no huge waste of resources putting in large areas of unused track such as at Willesden.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I was on the northern line yesterday , and I thought to myself ‘this needs to be in tsw’
    Hopefully it comes at some point

p.s if there were passenger announcements , then dtg would need to include the platform announcement at embankment northbound

• Like Like x 2
  4. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

is that MIND THE GAP?
    I read a touching article that the recorders wife use to visit the station every day after his passing to remember him

• Like Like x 2
  5. Coastway trainspotter

Yes it is :)
    It would be a great shame if dtg were to make the northern line and not include this announcement

• Like Like x 1
  6. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

For London Underground I would particularly like to see a line that included D stock and I think an underground route would be a good place to start implementing announcements

• Like Like x 4
  7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

You mean the district line and for the announcements they are basically done by Emma Clarke which was what you would hear on the bakerloo line. Do that that opens RRO RSN HMA HRR Main Spessart Bahn Aschaffenburg-Gemünden Nahverkehr Dresden Tharandter Rampe Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen and Rapid Transit Ingo Ruff announcements. With DTG experimenting with London Underground Emma Clarke

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Coastway trainspotter

Why does every message you send include something about German or Austrian railways / safety systems ?

• Like Like x 2
  9. shinigamitrainfan

shinigamitrainfan New Member

Announcements, especially on an underground line would be really something that would elevate the playable experience in the same way PIS did when they introduced it. In past streams they suggested maybe having some of their team “recreate” the automated announcements and that would be a great idea if there’s licensing issues.

Sometimes playing the passenger services isn’t as interesting without those layers. I’d pay big to have that added as a feature.

• Like Like x 2
  10. simon_fielding

simon_fielding Well-Known Member

Adding announcements word for word would be copyright, but they could at least make their own (e.g the ones on platforms about hydration, passing trains etc) announcements for the trains. They could have a template and fill in the gaps for the service.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

ISTR a very old Amiga programme, Train Driver 3 (which ran on the PC under emulation) supporting announcements via the built in text to speak programme. Of course it was a monotone reminiscent of the Cylons from the original Battlestar Galactica, plus you had to spell the words phonetically so they pronounced reasonably correctly. However it certainly added to the immersion.

• Like Like x 1
  12. driverwoods#1787

It's due to the fact OBB uses the same PZB LZB Sifa as the existing Deutsche Bahn routes in the game. Furthermore, The female voice in the Taurus locomotives is Chris Lohner the OBB announcer which is their equivalent to DB Ingo Ruff. That should explain that to you. However, DTG needs to sort out legal reasons to use train announcements.

13. Coastway trainspotter

Right…

14. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Didn't understand lol

15. driverwoods#1787

If you want me to explain it to you it's this Germany and Austria uses the LZB Sifa PZB systems permitting through operation without having to change locomotives. Which happens on Germany and Austria to Switzerland services. Train announcements in Germany uses Ingo Ruff voice which is the normal practice on all German routes we have in game. While Austrian ÖBB uses Chris Lohner train and station announcements. Furthermore her voice is used by Siemens ES64U locomotives PZB LZB Sifa Afb Cruise control voice prompts.

16. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

That was the first time I understood more than a couple words from that well informed poster lololol

17. polarisneo

polarisneo Member

I totally agree with you and IMO it really is a key feature that I (and clearly many others) feel is sorely missing from the game. Particularly on the Tube route where announcements are one of the most distinct features of those networks.

Driving the Bakerloo line is enjoyable but does feel hollow & as if something is missing. Particularly if you are someone who regular or has recently travelled on the line in real life!

Even playing Roblox tube games have announcements (I am aware they are not necessarily entirely within copyright law) but the announcements do clearly add something to the experience.

• Like Like x 3