Getting Quite Frustrated With Branch Freight: Clock Face Colliery-speke Junction

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by grolbu#3497, Jun 4, 2022.

1. grolbu#3497

grolbu#3497 New Member

I can see that this is a great trip and would be a lot of fun and a challenge for people who knew what they were doing. But the vast majority of people who try it will have no idea what they're doing, because it's the second thing the journey throws in the face of completely new players, a decision that could be described as "interesting" ....

Getting the train moving, and stopping without derailing ? Known issues, google is your friend.

Getting the train to move backwards up a steep hill in the rain instead of sliding through a red signal ? Yeah, you're on your own with that one. 20-30% reverser and anything from 5-15% regulator plus backwards sand as per the gameplay guide just means I slide more slowly through the red signal. Use the handbrake in the brake van ? Be happy to if there was a working hotkey to get there in a hurry but ctrl - and + don't do anything and aren't listed as doing anything in the key commands, and I can't walk back to it because there's an invisible wall halfway up the hill.

Just for a laugh I said yes I wanted to give up control of the service then had a look at how the AI driver was backing up this hill. Reverser forwards 18%, regulator closed, brakes full applied, front sand.

Next please.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Just use the rear 3 camera. Works like a charm.

• Like Like x 1
  3. grolbu#3497

grolbu#3497 New Member

:o Well bugger me ! (are we allowed to say that in a UK forum ? LOL) It did indeed work a charm, I even got gold for it, I didn't realise we could use controls other than key commands from any of the remote cameras, thank you so much, that's a heck of a tool to add to my collection !!!

Rather supports my point though - if it's necessary for completing this trip that we cycle the exterior camera (which I would confidently say will be the least used one that most people don't even remember is there) so it's focused on the brake van, then move it into a position where we can use the brake van handbrake, then apply that brake, then release it again at the appropriate moment after starting the engine doing its thing, and NONE of this is mentioned anywhere ......... should this really be the second trip in a new players journey ???

4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

You’re welcome :) It’s extremely useful for stuff like setting up the rear DPUs on American trains or correcting the brake modes on German freight trains. You’d go mad otherwise :D

I agree. There should be a way to signal the (imaginary) brakeman to apply the brake and the run shouldn’t be such an early part of the journey, at least not in adverse weather conditions. Reversing the train in dry conditions is easy enough and no handbrakes are required but it’s a real challenge in adverse weather. Using the external camera for accessing controls is rather well known on the forums but it’s true that the game never teaches you that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

I have to agree that its not an appropriate service to put on the Journey mode especially so early on. I imagine most people wouldn't have a clue how to move the train without looking it up since the game never says you have to release the brakes on the wagons.

Also the very fist service in journey mode where you drive the jubilee is in the morning where everything is pitch black it doesn't make much sense.

6. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Is this the one where they accidently put unbraked wagons between the loco and braked wagons?

7. grolbu#3497

grolbu#3497 New Member

Yes, and you drive past a few more consists in yards like it. Presume DTG will fix any consists we are intended to pull so that the braked wagons are all behind the engine followed by the unbraked, since they have pointed out that that is an error in the consist.

8. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

You mean how they fixed the Incab signalling in Sherman Hill and Boston Sprinter after they pointed out it wasn't working?
    Don't be surprised if this issue never gets fixed