More Of This Please, Dtg

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LWDAdnane, Jun 11, 2022.

1. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

I recently voiced my disappointment in another thread regarding the way DTG have been conducting themselves and their product, however I pride myself on being a realist rather than an optimist/pessimist, and so therefore it is only right I give praise where praise is due.

I have been working my way through the Dresden - Riesa journey mode, and have been particularly impressed by the 1442 on the highspeed sections. I know the RE18 service utilises these sections, but not sure what other services do. Anyhow, the sense of speed and drama as the train accelerates towards 99mph, is something that caught me by surprise. Funnily enough, nothing too crazy happens, rather it's the sounds. I don't necessarily "see" the speed, maybe because I play without motion blur, however the way the volume increases, and you begin to hear the rumble alongside the clicking/clacking coming from different bits of the train, really gives the sense of driving a heavy train, metal on metal, at speed. While this may come across as sad/cringe, it genuinely gets my heart running, and honestly that's what I want from a game that simulates driving trains; that sense of occasion. I love it and it makes me feel like a kid again.

If all your routes/trains were like this Dovetail, I would go out and advertise you myself, you wouldn't need to spend a penny on marketing, and I'm sure a lot of us here would feel a similar way. I appreciate the effort you put into this DLC, in terms of these sort of sounds, the lighting, the timetable, the loco variety. It's not a perfect DLC by any means, but one that definitely sticks out.

• Like Like x 10
  2. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Totally agree, but now drive the 1442 on the Rapid Transit route and you will be very disappointed. You will have to stop driving as you will not be able to enjoy it in any way and you will feel very frustrated.

Good sounds are very important in a train simulator and it depends on them whether players feel a great immersion or not.
    There are many of us who are always asking DTG to do their best to improve the sounds, but unfortunately there is a lot of inconsistency in the results. Steam for example is a disaster, with the sound cutting out every few seconds when the train is going fast, which completely ruins the experience. They have a lot of problems with sound, I think they've sometimes said they have limitations with UE.

DTG is able to get it right many times, like in the experience you described, so it's hard to understand why they don't always get it right, with sounds they are capable of the best but also the worst.

One thing that especially irritates me is that routes preservation messed up a lot of sounds that in TSW 2020 were very well done and it's unbelievable that two years later they are still broken.

• Like Like x 3
  3. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

DTG should just port the physics and sounds of their best 442 to the bad versions (like RT). That would make RT 100 times more enjoable. Driving with no sound is no fun.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

They tried doing that and apparently it resulted in an absolute mess because for Koln, they rebuilt it from scratch I believe. It's also worth noting that the RT1442 has synthesised sounds, subsequent releases of the 442 use sounds recorded off an actual unit.

5. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

I agree completely, my Rapid Transit experience with regards to the train over there was abysmal, the sounds aren't the only issue. So this praise is specifically for the DRA version and that one only.

• Like Like x 1