The Weirdest Ai Service That I've Ever Seen

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by WonterRail, Jun 13, 2022.

1. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

Now that I've finally finished a pdf timetable for Liverpool Lime Crewe, I'm pretty sure that everyone wants to know if there is any additional AI traffic on this route, especially around the focal point of this post, Crewe. I can say that there is some AI traffic around Crewe, but would you like to know how many there actually are...

3... legitimate ones...

Those three are...:
    • One that starts at 1:15 (continues on from the 0:30 preparation service around Crewe) that heads up the WCML non-stop and exits heading towards Warrington
    • A second that comes into the route (from the direction of London Euston) at around 2:10 and then continues up the WCML in the same manner as the previous service.
    • A third that comes into Crewe at 10:45, again from London Euston, but then doesn't continue up the WCML, but rather takes a left turn heading out of Crewe in the direction of what would be Chester.
    There might be more that I've missed, but that's pretty much all of the legitimate AI services that I have be able to find around Crewe, and the key word there is legitimate, because there are some more AI services around Crewe, however...

...to be honest, I all my years of playing TSW2, and especially when making pdf timetables out of the various routes that have come out of this game, I don't know about you, but what I'm about to show you might go down as possibly the strangest AI service that I have ever seen in any TSW routes. I really is something that has to be seen to be believed, and I have plenty of images to show you in order to take you on the journey that this service takes.
    [​IMG]
    So we start by spawning into the route around Crewe at 8:35 and the service in question comes into the route from the direction of what would be Shrewsbury, heading towards Crewe.
    [​IMG]
    The service, which is a 5 coach train lead by a Jubilee, spawns in and starts moving into the route at around 8:37...
    [​IMG]
    ...but barely makes it to the limits of the route before coming to a complete stop. Is it because it's been held up by a red signal? No...

Brace yourselves, you're not going to believe what happens next...
    [​IMG]
    The Jubilee uncouples from it's coaches and just drives off...
    [​IMG]
    Leaving it's coaches behind, stranded just outside of Crewe.

But that's not all, let's follow that Jubilee and see where it goes next...
    [​IMG]
    Across a bridge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Passes by the carriage sheds
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Takes a bypass line around Crewe.
    [​IMG]
    Passes the 8:41 stopping service that's just arriving into Crewe
    [​IMG]
    Passes Crewe North engine sheds in the background...
    [​IMG]
    Before coming to a brief stop in the area around Crewe Works.
    [​IMG]
    It then carries on it's way out of the map.

But that's not all. Let's head back to those stranded coaches as we haven't ended quite yet.
    [​IMG]
    As soon as that Jubilee exits the route, another one spawns in right behind the coaches it left behind (Sorry for the blurry textures on one of the coaches in this screenshot here).
    [​IMG]
    It then couples up to the back of those coaches...
    [​IMG]
    ...and then takes them back out of the map towards what would be Shrewsbury.

...and I'm just left here thinking 'What on earth just happen?'.

What's even crazier is that this is not the only time this happens on this route timetables, another one happens at around 12:40 and then a third at about 17:15, and both of those services happen in the same manner as this one.

So all I have to ask is, is this suppose to happen? Was this something that genuinely happen in 1958? where trains would just stop right outside Crewe and abandone it's coaches for another train to take it back in the same direction? Or is it (as I think it is) something that shouldn't be happening and these services should ideally be removed from the timetable. The reason why I think the later is because these services happen around the same time a Liverpool Lime Street-Ditton Junction service exits the map on it's way to Manchester London Road. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but considering that the consists seen in those services are very similar to the one that's shown here, it might explain what's happening here, but that would leave alot of explaining as to why Liverpool-Ditton services are showing up at Crewe after they have left the confines of the route.

But at the end of the day, with these services, and the few legitimate AI services around Crewe that I was able to find, I leaves Crewe feeling a bit empty. But here's hoping that someday in the future, whether it would be with what we have now, or any future loco add-on that comes to this route, we will see more AI traffic added to this part of this route, to really make it more alive than what it currently is now...

...but not in the manner that we have just witness here.

• Like Like x 30
  2. highland beastie

highland beastie Well-Known Member

That's very strange, I wonder where DTG got the information for that service from, because it seems very strange for a train to stop in a random place, uncouple it's coaches go off to do something else, and then another train to come and pickup the coaches and take them back the way they came.

• Like Like x 1
  3. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Hmm, seems to happen in a weird way, but maybe dtg wanted to show a "recoaling / water" stop for that steam service.

A problem with an engine would more be realistic in scenarios than in the service mode.

4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Well you wouldn't just leave a rake of carriages on a running line like that I wouldn't have thought. I can't imagine what it is trying to portray.

It appears to have three brake carriages also which is overkill on a five carriage train.

5. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the passengers coming from Shrewsbury saw Crewe and decided they wanted to go home :D

• Like Like x 8
  6. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

I could understand it if it went all the way into Crewe and did that!

7. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

No need, they saw it out the window and panicked :o

8. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

If they made it do it in one of the platforms it would probably look quite good as a bit of background activity.

9. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

It may look odd at first sight, but I have a strong suspicion it is based on one of the test paths Crewe Works - Salop and return. That's just a hunch, but I don't see anything odd about this (as an emulation of those test paths), except that perhaps the coaches might be stabled not quite directly outside Gresty Lane No 1: going into the carriage sidings is more likely on the balance of probabilities.

It's a while since I've seen WTTs for the joint line to Salop, so I'm going on fallible memory. I'm pretty sure I have seen services akin to this in WTTs of similar or even date.

• Like Like x 2
  10. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Yeah its pretty weird and I admire you dedication to chasing it around the place WonterRail - I'm impressed.

• Like Like x 1