Dovetail, Trust, And Myself - An Essay

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Doomotron, Jun 5, 2022.

1. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Im not going to lie, I have my doubts on the effectiveness of this site tbh
    upload_2022-6-18_0-10-33.png

• Like Like x 3
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If you click on the full list of words it looks for none of them are actually gender specific but are perceived as subtly suggesting masculine or feminine traits by persons unknown. It is a nonsense really. I’m assuming its inclusion in this thread in the first place was a joke.

• Like Like x 3
  3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

A public bug list just isn't sustainable. There are many bugs in this game. It would be hard to keep up with every major and minor bug in the game. DTG did add a bug list of sorts in the early days of tsw2 roadmap but that got removed since DTG couldn't keep up with the bugs that were fixed and those that weren't which caused confusion. A list would just create a bit of a mess and just wouldn't be worth the effort

• Like Like x 3
  4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Widely used in a lot of places for adverts, I came across it through inclusivity drives, if I recollect it was mentioned by an individual from the national centre of diversity at work as part of an accreditation I was involved in . Interestingly, though it’s there to reduce bias, more feminine worded literature/attracts more clicks from both male and females

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

You need to add in "queued for release" and "scheduled for release".
    People love hearing how Adam's team fixed bugs on GWE LAST YEAR and still haven't got them to play yet...

• Like Like x 1
  6. chieflongshin

I'm at risk of being one of those players that' thinks it's easier to invest my game time elsewhere currently. Seems to be an unmanageable backlog to work through. Hopefully this reset time fixing things sorts their QA and overall trajectory out

• Like Like x 5
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention that. Already earmarked a few TSC items for the sale, nothing for TSW. Then in the meantime I see Run 8 have just released Donner Pass. Over 200 miles apparently, just waiting the courage to ask the wife to let me part with the $40/£32 to purchase it.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Mitchellman151

Mitchellman151 Member

while i do agree with a lot of the post especially London commuter being marketed as a rush hour route that still doesn't have the rush hour passenger system, i really don't understand why people get so up in arms about a female firemen or pride liveries, yes i know a female fireman isn't accurate but having it and pride liveries isn't political at all, its so more people can feel included in a traditionally male dominated industry/interest.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Pride isn't political? I think you are missing the point about the female fireman. No-one is against a female fireman, I'm sure somewhere there are a few but the whole point of having Steam in the late 1950's was to capture the period and at that time there was no female fireman. By you're logic then it wouldn't matter if the carriages had sliding doors? The controls in the cab were all push buttons?

If DTG want to have female fireman either give us the choice to choose between a m/f or make the route a 'fantasy' route but please stop rewriting history. Some people just want an accurate portrayal of history.

I said before I remember many LGBT people speaking out against that 'Trainbow' liveried train as they saw it as mis-guided virtue signalling, shouldn't we listen to them as well? And let's face it they are only doing it for profit as are a number of much larger companies while at the same time removing the 'Rainbow' from their logo when their logo goes to Muslim countries, funny that eh? And you say it isn't political?

• Like Like x 9
  10. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

Agreed. If DTG wants to virtue signal while also claiming to care about historical accuracy, fine but include an option to let the user decide if they want that. That way everyone can be happy without bs shoved down their throats because where does it end in the pursuit of the 100% virtue signal? Furries need representation too?

What's so hard about including options where everyone can choose what works for them?

• Like Like x 5
  11. chieflongshin

It will be because the menu system that can't accommodate a slider for steam or additional graphics because it's too fragile, which can support an option for fireman, actually can't support any contentious settings non conducive to dlc sales

• Like Like x 3
  12. The_Drunken_Engineer

"Contentious settings"

Just sent a cold chill down my spine like being in the presence of pure evil. I'm scared.

• Like Like x 3
  13. chieflongshin

Possibly not my best choice of words ..... let me reframe that to "settings that make some people vocal"

I can't put "settings that make people vocal" , there's not enough time to develop that menu

• Like Like x 2
  14. The_Drunken_Engineer

I thought it was funny. Like if you disabled the female fireman, that'd be a contentious setting and would brand one as a sexist misogynist lol you know, not so much inclusion but an effort to shove a political agenda in your face.

2023: "Problematic contentious settings have been banned across all platforms" - NYT

• Like Like x 3
  15. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Well, there are so many inconsistencies between all the DLC's, from sounds to lighting to simulation depth...

I was once told DTG constantly has to work around the limitations of the Unreal Engine because the Unreal engine does not do many interconnected DLC's well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

By your logic, the mark 1 coaches should have sliding doors instead of slam doors. Would you be ok with that?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

This would be a start, although I worry if it would really achieve anything. It may change it from 'privately not fixing bugs' to publicly not fixing bugs. In an ideal world these things wouldn't have been released in the first place, and even DLCs like the BR101, which is very nearly perfect, have major issues such as the screens and a lack of a cab car. It's a 'that'll do' situation which just isn't good enough. Ironically I think they put more effort into things back in the Rail Simulator and early RailWorks days. The Class 08 pack had loads of liveries, some of which we never got back until Major Wales made the revamp pack. The Up The Junction DLC included loads of variants including the 'cow and calf' Class 13s (never seen again), a Dutch Class 11 and Dovetail's only Australian route, track and locomotive. The Class 66 pack came with half a dozen liveries including two fancy fictional ones (RSDL red/black and RSC grey).

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  18. ARuscoe

You realise railworks wasn't made by DTG???

19. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Except it was, Kuju's just DTG before they rebranded.

• Like Like x 2
  20. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well we don't know how many people from Kuju came across to RSDL >>> RSC >>> DTG. Would imagine there's at least a few who aligned their career path with the game.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ARuscoe

From what I understand it is a different company (hence needing to be licensed etc)

22. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

It is a different company. Paul Jackson's RSDL/RSC/DTG bought the game from Kuju - who originally started development of Rail Simulator for Microsoft. (Kuju are still commissioned by Software companies to develop games.) TS might be dead and gone now if he hadn't.

AFAIK Derek "RSDerek" Siddle (author of the brilliant TSC Weardale & Teesdale Rail Network) is the only original member from Kuju that is working for Dovetail Games now (Art Director).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Was he the only Kuju employee to come over at the time of the buyout though? Or did others come along initially and left over the years? Keep in mind anyone from Kuju will have been working on TS for 15 years or so at this point, that's a lot of time to be sticking with one company.

• Like Like x 1
  24. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I don't know of others who joined RSC - there might have been though. Remember they only bought "Rail Simulator", not the company Kuju. It was not a buyout. That was done by Kuju itself, buying them out of their former owner Eidos Interactive. Later they were bought by Catalis.

Fun fact: Kuju was originally called SIMIS - if you open MSTS files, the header looks like this:
    SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0D0t______

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  25. Doomotron

Where does RSDL fit into this. Was it a former name of RSC or was it something different?

• Like Like x 1
  26. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Looking like those of you wanting buffet cars may still have a bit of a wait, but there may be some pringles vending machines appearing on a footplate near you very soon! :D:D:D

• Like Like x 2
  28. Doomotron

The transition between RS and RW was quite weird. RW included Cajon Pass (alongside the three fictional routes), which was previously included as an expansion pack for Rail Simulator. However, the three other expansion packs, the Class 08, 66 and Isle Of Wight were re-released as separate purchases for RailWorks. It makes me wonder why they didn't include them as well, truly making RailWorks the definitive version of Rail Simulator.

• Like Like x 3
  29. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

You could see DTG's business strategy right from the start - tie RailWorks to Steam and offer DLC packs.

Isle of Wight was produced while DTG were still an Addon developer (RSDL) for Kuju's Rail Simulator.

The original and first ever RailSimulator routes were Cajon Pass, Ruhr-Sieg, Bath-Templecombe (SDJR), Oxford-Paddington (GWML) and the ECML Newcastle-York.

As Cajon Pass is the oldest route to have a random GUID (the same since first release, all the inhouse route folders are 00000001-0000-0000...), I suspect it was a commissioned 3rd party development by 3DTrainStuff - a renowned MSTS addon developer who created Cajon and Donner Pass for MSTS (website is still live and the DLC for sale) and later made their own great "Run 8 Train Simulator".

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2022
  30. Doomotron

Interesting to note the history of the route. Although that deepens the mystery further - why would DTG include a third party DLC and not their own? The 66 and 08 especially would have been great as base trains because they offered something that wasn't available before - a modern UK locomotive and a UK shunter. I guess we'll never know exactly why, although I presume they wanted Cajon Pass to market the game in the USA but still wanted to get DLC money for the Isle Of Wight, the Class 66 and 08 (although it would have been possible to install the Rail Simulator versions into TS anyway).

31. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Probably it was already part oj Kuju's Rail Simulator and the only US route - and the US is a big market. So the main thing was to feed the biggest markets first - US, UK and Germany.

There were actually different RS releases - the US release featured Cajon, and the European Release had Newcastle-York instead of Cajon Pass.

And btw, Ruhr-Sieg was co-developed by German Railroads.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2022