A Thank You To The Preservation Team

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Jun 20, 2022.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I'd just like to say thank you to the splendid job the preservation team have done to Great Western Express.

I'm loving the new skies, populated yards, improved Class 166 physics as well as the other improvements having been made to the route. Its the 'small' things like this which bring the legacy TSW routes back to life and up to a modern standard.

This update was eagerly acquired by a lot of people within the community for a long time, but the wait is finally over.

Keep up the good work and I hope you can continue to make these 'massive' updates to your other, older TSW routes.

upload_2022-6-20_22-9-15.png

• Like Like x 70
  2. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Yes i agree, it was worth the waiting. The Class 166 drives like an entirely new train. Good work from the Preservation Team in all Routes so far.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  3. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Really appreciate DTG revisiting older content and making improvements for free, this is almost unheard of in TS Classic.

• Like Like x 4
  4. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Yep a big well done and thanks to them on the brilliant work they have done!

• Like Like x 1
  5. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

In full agreement, I've been left a little underwhelmed on previous PC updates but so far have found nothing to complain about and ran both GWE & NTP for the first time in ages (since getting a raildriver) and thoroughly enjoyed both routes. The PIS on NTP is just how I remember them although possibly a little to clean if I'm splitting hairs. Any chance a modder could weather them at all??

• Like Like x 2
  6. londonmidland

I made a blue, weathered version, previously for TVL. Would this interest you by any chance?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Agreed - today's update was a massive success as a confidence booster for me. They needed to get a solid release, and they did.

Could it be that we left the days of updates pushed out with trains inside the buffer stops and insta-derailing behind?

I still have some reservations, but I am once again hopeful that TSW has gone back into a positive trajectory after the very rough 30.05 update.

Sad that they missed yet another chance to fix the BR182 speedo but I am the only one complaining about it and being a broken record on the forum won't help.

Thanks to the recent XBOX discounts I have been somewhat overwhelmed recently and I still haven't had a change to give GWE a try - but even if it's a route I never liked I genuinely want to give it another chance.

Hopeful that the DTL issues and buffer problem will be adressed in a reasonable time frame, and dare I say, eagerly waiting for the Peninsula Corridor Update.

The Baby Bullet and MP15DC really changed that route completely - it's a lot more fun that I remembered

To be completely honest I was expecting the game to remain in a terrible state for quite a while after the 30.05 update, but I am happy that I was proven wrong.

Good work Adam and good work DTG in general for bringing TSW back on track.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. w2sjw

w2sjw Active Member

I'm very impressed as well with the way that GWE turned out! Just one quick question, the new 166 physics - is it supposed to be that 'sluggish' in real life? Looks like ItsYa165 might have to adjust his sound mods as well. The audio on the new 166 seems 'off' with his mods in place...
    TSW2_Scott_1655755412_00.jpg TSW2_Scott_1655755737_00.jpg

9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Erm- now I am not getting any AWS functionality in the 166.
    EDIT: Never mind. I thought I had flipped the breaker but I hadn't. Bug note: Ctrl-Enter does not turn AWS on.
    --------------------------------
    Wow, the 166 really is sluggish now! Is it possible to keep to schedule?

10. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Tell me about it, seems way slower than before, not saying it's inaccurate, honestly wouldn't know that, but it's very jarring coming from previous versions. That said based on the one service I've played while the timings are tightened quite a bit, it was still doable, and that was in winter.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Just drove the 166 and I agree it's sluggish hard to keep on schedule.

12. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

I Think we've been too accustomed to the fake rocket ship-esque acceleration from releases such as the M7A from Harlem Line and other DLCs like the 465, so when we get a proper realistic train like the 166, it feels very strange. Bravo to Dovetail for revisiting older DLCs and tuning them! Hopefully other trains follow suit!

• Like Like x 8
  13. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

2 years too late for me. I've already finished all the scenarios and completed the timetable. Although I read in the release notes a couple have been added

• Like Like x 3
  14. solicitr

However, the timetable is based on the old jet-fighter acceleration

• Like Like x 3
  15. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

It’s really nice and I feel the route is on par with some of the latest releases- if not superior.

I love the fact that PS4 gets the full allocation of static rolling stock and freight services unlike with rush hour.
    Obviously there are limitations with the rush hour routes but no freight at all on BML was disappointing.

Just the disappearing buffers at Paddington left to fix and it will be perfect.

• Like Like x 2
  16. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I will have to drag myself away from various distractions to try this. A positive development for once.

Re 166 physics, in reality these were quite sluggish. If you recall we had a real 166 driver on here some time ago who stated the acceleration was far too quick. In the real world, when the 166’s were cascaded down to Bristol in 2016/2017, they lost time hand over fist on the Severn Beach line. Part of that down to drivers becoming familiar with the traction, but also the 90 MPH gearing could not keep to the timings for 150’s and 143’s with 75 MPH gearing. They were regularly losing 7 or 8 minutes on a 40 minute trip, eventually having to start turning trains round short at Avonmouth or Clifton Down to recover the service or in extreme cases knocking out a complete round trip.

• Like Like x 2
  17. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Thanks to the team for a great job! I like SPG, but I understand that the vegetation that is used on the route repels me. I really hope that the time will come when the team will have the opportunity to make the route more beautiful, and the quality of the vegetation will not be inferior to the German routes.

18. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

A welcome update on a much loved route, it's a shame the sounds have improved but are still not amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Great work on an already v good route. Liking that they have kept/tweaked the original track as well. I forgot that they had installed TPWS/OSS on this route, they are probably fake but that doesn't bother me that much, all these details add to the experience.
    If only we could carry on to Oxford etc, maybe one for the future. Great effort, team.

• Like Like x 2
  20. 5cip

5cip Active Member

thank you DTG Team :D

21. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Member

Very happy to add my thanks to the Preservation Team for the GWE update. I didn't get to spend much time with it yesterday, not much more than a wander around Paddington Station, but it's certainly looking good. Great to read such positive feedback.

22. londonmidland

Regarding the sluggish acceleration on the 166, this is true to real life. You can just about keep to timings if you get your braking points correct.

A lot of train drivers and guards despise working them in real life, because of how sluggish they are.

• Like Like x 9
  23. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

I am loving the updated 166 its great as the sluggishnesss adds to the challenge. Going to try winter/wet/snow for extra difficulty.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

About that:
    Source
    To be fair, not Adam's problem for once but no DTG update is complete without trains in buffer stops :D

• Like Like x 1
  25. londonmidland

For those on PC, I've made a FKA wagon weathering mod, which you can download from here

Let me know what you think of it :)

upload_2022-6-21_9-56-4.png

• Like Like x 8
  26. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I played GWE last night and it was very enjoyable.

A couple of points:

The HST seemed to have all carriages marked as coach A except for the end one which was coach L, not sure if this is a new thing?
    The 166 had one door which even when open I couldn't enter, I could exit through it but I couldn't go into it. Was one of the passenger doors on an end car. Not sure if it was the station or the train which was the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I notice PIS has not made it into the WSR update, is this still on the go or no longer going to appear?

• Like Like x 1
  28. londonmidland

This is a day one GWE thing. It seems they did things ‘differently’ back then. I believe they only used one type of coach for Standard Class, hence why there is multiple/identical coach A carriages.

• Like Like x 1
  29. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't think it's that. When I looked at this a few weeks ago the coach letters are auto generated, but that system isn't working so all cars bar that last one are being marked as "A" rather than ABCDE etc

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Seems like I can't use the ECW Class 66 on GWE? Was it always like this?

And how can I change brake mode in the GWE one? Can't see anything relevant on the EM2000

31. Very nice indeed. Well done the preservation team. Its like a new route.

The 166 now feels like a diesel hydraulic instead of diesel electric.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Is it worth asking whether Rivet might use the revised 166 simugraph items to help with the 150?

• Like Like x 1
  33. ARuscoe

Given the pres crew are working with 3rd parties when they do releases (and maybe updated) I am sure their schematic for the diesel hydraulic would be something they'd discuss... But then again I would have thought that would have happened anyway!

• Like Like x 2
  34. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

Class 166 is brilliant

• Like Like x 1
  35. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Wanna add to the praise for the preservation crew. GWE is really good now, and i also got NTP/Heavy Freight in the flash sale so looking forward to giving that a go for the first time in quite a while.

Looks like the "pause" in 1st-party releases is paying some dividends- good job DTG!

• Like Like x 2
  36. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

It is a great update and enjoying being able to use my Rail Driver to drive on this route. Have done both a 166 and 66 run and both are now fun to the max. That sluggish acceleration on the 166 seems to match some of the runs on the Don Coffey's cab ride videos of the DMUs he has run. I do not remember if any were 166s but it seems most DMUs are slower to accelerate.

• Like Like x 2
  37. ARuscoe

Don tends to be "up north" so 166 wouldn't feature

38. StenioBlackHawnk

StenioBlackHawnk Active Member

I gotta say, Class 166 is my favorite loco now, thanks Adam and team!

• Like Like x 1
  39. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Cool! I have to check these delights :D
    Which DLCs are layers for GWE?

40. solicitr

1) That change was made quite a while ago, because the ECW version of the 66 doesn't have a functioning fuel fill system, making certain GWE scenarios/services impossible.

2) That's correct: the GWE version has a stripped-down onboard computer (or rather, the ECW version was upgraded)

41. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

None of the reskins are showing in timetable mode on NTP. You can select them OK in scenario creator though.

Is this due to the memory problems?

• Like Like x 1
  42. solicitr

The issue isn't the slowdown into stations, it's the taking forever to get up to line speed afterwards. Even neck-snapping emergency-brake stops don't save enough time to compensate.

43. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Only a couple of niggles however; the numbers on the front and rear HST powercars are still the same, and the timetable has become 'untidy' like other preservation updates (i.e. timings now displayed to the exact second). Though I've only done two runs so far, the route overall feels much nicer now. Will give NTP a try later hopefully.

44. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

do the freight speed limits work now or can i still drive freight at 90mph

45. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

Nice to see the tube train on platfourm at Ealing Broadway. Also is this new name for Hanwell? (See files below)

Note for the tube. It don't move and you can't drive it.

Attached Files:

46. OldVern

Hanwell and Elthorne was the original GWR name for the station and could be seen on one of the original retained nameboards, not sure if still there now Crossrail rule the roost. Sounds like a little PresCrew homage crept into the PIS display.

I really am going to have to drag myself away from Run 8’s new Donner Pass this evening to try GWE.

47. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Interesting, good to know. I guess it's good that some old memories of the ECW 66 on GWE were not just a brain fart.

So no changing brake modes... right that's probably me not touching freight on GWE then.

Maybe the lighter intermodal trains could be run with the pass mode? I don't know what's the threshold to switch from one mode to the other IRL.

48. OldVern

Have to concur, the 166 is now very nice and please keep the physics "as is".
    However the timings are definitely tight, 2 minutes late at Slough running a skip stop (fast West Drayton to Slough) local.
    So some tweaking certainly in order.

Of course in the real world, the stoppers would largely have been largely handled by 165/1's which while mechanically pretty much identical possibly had a very slight power to weight advantage, not being fitted with air conditioning equipment.

• Like Like x 1
  49. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

The tube train is totally unrealistic at ealing broadway. IRL, the Central Line 92 stock runs there, not the Bakerloo Line 72 stock. Still, better than nothing :D

• Like Like x 2
  50. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

Is it just me or are the brakes on 166 very weak? Strange that it only have two brake notches before full brake..