Train Sim World 2 - Pringles Competition

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Jun 21, 2022.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

• Like Like x 7
  2. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

So reading the gumph from the pringles competition posted in you could have your digital self implanted into TSW as an NPC character going round filling up pringles vending machines (presumably on Kol Aachen, Sandpatch Grade and the Bakerloo route and possibly any other new route that gets made). So the gumph goes " The successful applicant will then be chosen, and their likeness will be virtually reproduced and 3D modelled, to appear in Train Sim World from September!"
    Would the successful applicant filling up Pringles vending machines across all platforms PS, Xbox and PC or just on the current Xbox and PC?
    Would this also indicate perhaps when the "summer update" would be released? (just speculating)

Hentis

3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Interesting competition. I guess this means we will see pringles machines in the game. I had no idea Pringles machines were even a thing. I wonder where the machines will be placed in game?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Hey, that's something really innovative or simply said: marketing of the 21st century. So you can become a digital "Pringles" seller on train platforms in the TSW universe or at least fill up the vending machines. I prefer to take part in livery competitions, but a really great idea. I'm sure many will join...

By the way: welcome Alex in our TSW community. JD will be a good mentor for sure! ;)

5. antony.henley

Only open to those residents in UK, France & Germany also to those that are 18 years or older and only for players of Microsoft Game Pass and Xbox. Not open for Playstation owners.

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Or even Steam or Epic on Microsoft Windows.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

The patch notes yesterday, mentioned the addition of the vending machines although I have yet to see any on PC (steam)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

If you spawn in at Köln you will seem them (Series X)

9. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Haven't found any there and i have the bidstack enabled

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. antony.henley

Dont think it works for Steam as I have looked on Bakerloo and Koln and Achen and nothing showed up for me.

Same here.

Hentis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. AtherianKing

strange, patch notes yesterday state PC and Xbox just not PlayStation

12. antony.henley

I think its the NON steam version. Download it from the MS store as its available on Gamepass the same as the Xbox version./

Hentis

13. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

In a competition about creativity it matters less how creative you are and more who you are friends with.
    I might be talking about something extinct here but not everybody use social media, for personal reasons, which means they can't participate.
    "Mind popping"

• Like Like x 2
  14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I love TSW2
    I love Pringles
    I love £20,000

But nobody deserves the visual torture of seeing a digital version of my wobbly old self working the machines every time they play the game. The judges of the competition will agree with me on this, as they will no doubt be after a young good looking specimen of a typical gamer to promote how cool their delicious compressed potato mush wafers are, not the fat old man that results from consuming copious amounts of them over a prolonged period of time. It is for that reason alone that I won’t be entering the competition. Good luck to anyone who does.

• Like Like x 18
  15. AtherianKing

I couldn’t agree more, SKA being one of my all time favourite routes, getting to zoom past Duren on the way from or up to Köln will always be my go to option on that route

now the chance of looking onto the platforms and seeing my virtual self load vending machines isn’t going to be a good sight but rather a nightmare

if I entered the competition I hope I would lose

• Like Like x 4
  16. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to sending in a stamped self-addressed envelope or entering on the back of a postcard. I shall not be making a video with a pringles can. Cringe! Also yes making people have to use insta etc is not very inclusive. This seems like cheap advertising for pringles (other snacks are available).

• Like Like x 7
  17. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

I had to double check my calendar to make sure it was June not April1st!

• Like Like x 7
  18. tallboy7648

Best summary of this competition frankly. This campaign is just marketing for a potato chip company. Also considering the requirements, it doesn't seem very inclusive. Ironic since dtg wants this game to be inclusive with the virtue signaling that they do

• Like Like x 5
  19. tallboy7648

I guess it's much easier to make a digital article about it.

Im curious what DTG gains out of placing some rando next to a pringles machine. I guess potato chips and Train Simulation go hand in hand

• Like Like x 1
  20. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I was only having a laugh really but it is a modern competition open only to those people who are comfortable putting themselves ‘out there’ as all entries are very public, so it fits with how social media is used by a lot of (mainly) younger people. For those people it’s a great opportunity to have fun and maybe win an interesting prize. For me, just the entry process fills me with utter dread.

• Like Like x 8
  21. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  22. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, since it seems the contest is not open to US players, it's a moot point for me. Even if it was, I would be ineligible since I don't mess with social media. Plus I prefer popcorn to potato chips for snacking anyway so it would be disingenuous of me to promote the latter. Good luck to those who do take the plunge, though.

( Of course, sales of the chips would have skyrocketed if my handsome face had been chosen.) :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  23. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

The U.S. exclusion is a bummer. Having had a temp job for Proctor & Gamble years ago which included working a lot with the Pringles plant in Jackson, TN, my NPC avatar would totally have an in when needed to help resolve shipment problems or whatever. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  24. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

This is genuinely really cool and unexpected. Good luck to all applicants!

• Like Like x 1
  25. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

It's a gamepass promotion so it would only be appearing for the PC-Gamepass version (Not Steam or Epic)

• Like Like x 1
  26. longo239

Being as DTG have been so righteous about inclusivity, political correctness and generally doing the right thing, it does raise the question about their stance on the present rise in obesity amongst the population in general and young people in particular.

Should they really be promoting such a partnership with a snack food company?

Or doesn't it matter as much if there's cash in it for them?

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 4
  27. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Really?

• Like Like x 5
  28. Melbourne_Dan

Melbourne_Dan New Member

Mate it's not like it's McDonald's, but I mean if you want to be picky, look at WSR, where they advertise fizzy pop, table mustard, and even cocoa (oh the audacity...)

OF course there's be cash for dtg, which could mean more staff, more content etc, more interesting things for TSW.

As long as it doesn't break the game, i've got no problems with it, even seeing people restocking vending machines adds realism.

Who knows it may lead to more commercial partners, which could reduce the cost of DLC in the future if there's revenue from these ads

• Like Like x 5
  29. longo239

It could appear that they're being selective as to which band wagon they're jumping on depending on the financial implications / benefits.

• Like Like x 1
  30. longo239

I'm not aware of Mustard contributing to obesity or cholesterol issues, although it's gas is quite nasty and is illegal.

As for adding realism, each to their own, but I would personally say that it's going to add more realism to a vending machine simulator than a rail simulator.

• Like Like x 2
  31. dtg_jd

dtg_jd Staff Member

They will be added soon on Steam.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Melbourne_Dan

Melbourne_Dan New Member

It's probably the things people tend to put mustard on I guess, but you see my point.

Exactly, each to their own, though every day I see vending machines being restocked at stations so..... And it's not a newspaper collecting simulator, or fence fixing simulator or bucket finding simulator either, but you know...

• Like Like x 1
  33. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Maybe celery and lettuce producers don't do paid promotions...

• Like Like x 3
  34. longo239

Apparently not.

• Like Like x 2
  35. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Also quick question why do you have two DTG JD accounts?

• Like Like x 2
  36. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile I'm just sat here waiting for adverts like this to make their way to PlayStation.

• Like Like x 3
  37. antony.henley

We will probably get them before the DLC limit fix is finished lol

Hentis

• Like Like x 3
  38. Calidore266

Mustard gas is a man-made chemical that has nothing whatsoever to do with the condiment.

Pringles, like most snacks, are perfectly fine in moderation, which is up to the eater. They're certainly healthier than some meals, like my first-ever Irish breakfast and pint of Guinness the other day.

39. Calidore266

Same here. I was thinking it's some British vending machine company with a coincidental name, but apparently Pringles vending machines are all over the place in the world, except the U.S. (Pringles' home country; go figure).

• Like Like x 1
  40. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

"Mustard" gas (1-Chloro-2-(2-chloroethyl) sulfanyl ethane) has nothing to do with plants of the genera Brassica and Sinapis, whose ground seeds are used to make a condiment. The poison gas got that nick-name because of its yellow-brown color, and the fact that its odor was said to resemble garlic, horseradish or mustard.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  41. longo239

Thanks, you learn something everyday.

42. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

[removed - JD - not relevant to discussion]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  43. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I like Pringles too much!

I wouldn't take part in this competition anyway as I wouldn't want to inflict myself on the player base and I am definately not a marketeers dream!

• Like Like x 3
  44. tallboy7648

How ironic that they aren't in this country (U.S). They probably don't like America anymore ;)

• Like Like x 1
  45. Calidore266

QUOTE="SamYeager270, post: 499073, member: 499"]Lets be realistic here - whoever is chosen has a high likelihood of being non white and non male.[/QUOTE]

Because that's so easy to tell from the 50-word essay and picture of a Pringles can that will be judged.

I daresay the chances are roughly equal to the ratio of non-white and/or non-male entrants.

• Like Like x 4
  46. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

A lot of money for shooting a video!?
    I don't get it I guess. Whats the point? Okay I don't get marketing...

• Like Like x 1
  47. tallboy7648

Well Pringles is owned by Kellogg which is an American multinational food making/manufacturing company which is worth $22.82 billion so I guess they just have some extra cash to spend.

48. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

The problem with this is that it feels incredibly generic, there's nothing about this which really directly ties into TSW2. The Pringles website doesn't even make mention of TSW2, which seems like incredibly odd choice as far as marketing goes. I'd think more people are probably gonna find out about this via Pringles website than the Dovetail one, yet all I see mentioning it is a brief line in the term & conditions that I easily missed first time looking through. Even the special edition console they're doing's a Pringles edition, why not a TSW2 edition to tie it more into the sweepstakes? All in all the game you're gonna appear in really seems to be a after thought, and DTG seem to be getting little exposure for taking part in this from everything I see.

Compare that with the MSFS Top Gun sweepstakes, where in order to enter you need to make a video using content from the Top Gun expansion in MSFS. That makes a lot more sense to me, it gives a excuse for people to post a video of the game and the movie content, which in exposes a lot more to the game and/or movie who otherwise might not pay much attention to it.

Not to mention the tie-in just makes a whole ton more sense in regards to Top Gun & MSFS (or the other ties-ins like Ace Combat & DCS for that matter). Both are about aviation, so there's a lot of potential overlap, thus it makes sense for both parties to partner up with each other to help promote the other. There's nothing special about Pringles and train simulation though, at least not any obvious ones. Honestly I think the only reason they picked TSW2 was probably because DTG are cheaper to work with than a game that the general population would actually care about.

Also £20,000!? That's a ton, the total grand prize for the Top Gun sweepstakes I'm comparing it to is only about $3000 worth of stuff, so there's some serious cash on the table here. Great for whoever wins for sure, but it seems like bad value for the companies involved. With that said I find it odd they're only doing the Pringles Xbox as a runner up prize. Even if you don't care to actually use it a rare one off console like this they can accumulate some good value over time. Granted not £20,000 worth of value, but I'd certainly rather have something like a £19,500 prize with a Pringles console than pure cash considering that the console could be sold off for quite a bit more than it's original worth in a few years time.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  49. Calidore266

:D I think few of us would mind DTG bending reality a bit for our avatars. Bolt-perfect locomotive representations are a must; for our own selves, we can be flexible.

• Like Like x 5
  50. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

The fact that a massive brand such as pringles even wants to do a promotion with DTG in TSW speaks volumes.

Its not something I want to bother entering, but long may these continue for the good of the game.

• Like Like x 7