Train Sim World 2 - Pringles Competition

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Jun 21, 2022.

1. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

I guess we should be thankful it’s not being done by Durex

• Like Like x 7
  2. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Hear, hear. More money coming in to help expand the dev and QA staffs, as well as make no-DLC problem-fixing breaks less painful, can only be a good thing.

3. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Is this Pringles thing an April fools joke that got delayed by the bottleneck in QA?

• Like Like x 6
  4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Probably ;)

• Like Like x 3
  5. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

With the way everyones luck has been lately i'll bet pringles CO hires Matt so he can get discounted pringles to munch on during his live streams.lol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

I like your optimism, but realistically it's more profit for the owner / shareholders.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

While facts about mustard gas can be interesting - It certainly has no relevance for a Pringles promotional competition so let's stay on topic folks.

• Like Like x 5
  8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not sure "the topic" needs discussion in this case...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

It's just seems a bit strange that Pringles would use such a niche game to promote their product, I could understand a triple A game, but TSW2.

I wonder if TSW2 will be advertised on the packaging?

• Like Like x 2
  10. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

A. Have I woken up on April Fools Day?
    B. I don't want to have to pay for a game which still includes ads
    C. Why can't I turn this pringles nonsense off? I am paying for a product. Not to see some random Pringle company. The ads in game are not realistic as to what you would see on a railway.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. tallboy7648

But wouldn't this benefit the shareholders the most though? I looked on the Pringles website and it doesn't really talk about TSW2 except in the FAQs. Also the console wouldn't be a tsw2 xbox but a pringles xbox. Shouldn't it be a TSW2 xbox or something along those lines or even both? Now don't get me wrong, DTG getting more exposure is a good thing, but having deeper dive I feel like it should tie in better with the game and there are some things that I don't really get.

MSFS for example had a free top gun maverick expansion released a few weeks ago. You get one new plane and some missions. That ties in with aviation and is good marketing material for both MSFS and Top Gun Maverick which by the way is a nice movie.

Something else I don't understand is if part of the goal is for DTG to have more exposure, then why is the competition only open to those that live in three Western European countries (U.K, France and Germany). Whilst I understand DTG is a European/British company, Wouldn't it make more sense to have it open to more countries if DTG wants to get more exposure? Why isn't it available in Spain, Finland, Sweeden, Italy, Greece, The Netherlands etc. There are dutch railfans and players. There are spainsh players. Why isn't the competition available in the United States where Pringles is from? Or other North American markets etc. There are players and potential players here in the United States and North America. If your trying to expose a company and potentially get more players, it doesn't make sense to only have a competition available in just three European countries. Pringles is not just available in three European countries nor are there players or potential players that live in just three European countries. That's not really a good marketing decision.

All in all, I am glad that DTG are wanted to get their name out there and have a partnership with Pringles. However the fact that it is only exculsively in France, Germany and The United Kingdom and not in other markets along with that there really isn't much of a tie in between Potato Chips and a Train Simulator plus seeming to benefit Pringles the most, personally I don't think this competition was really thought out very well. If they do another competition, it should be available to more players and have more of a tie in with Train Simulation like how Top Gun and MSFS are a tie in because chips and train simulation doesn't really match.

Good luck to those that do enter though.

(P.S, can we please have the option to disable the Pringles advertising on SKA. It doesn't exist in reality. Or at the very least if there is an option to have it on/off, make the words in German and not in English. It kills immersion)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

'this competition is open for the UK, Germany and France only'. Poor me, silly Belgian :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Pringles aren’t distributed and marketed by the same people in all territories they are sold, just like most global brands. The competition is being run by Pringles in Europe. It’s a partnership competition and just because it isn’t worldwide doesn’t mean DTG are going to say no to it. DTG aren’t running the competition.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Just stopping by to say that paprika Pringles are the best Pringles ;)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  15. ARuscoe

My other half likes the paprika bugles, but you can't buy them in the UK which sucks royally...

16. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

They are good but you can't beat the Sour Cream and Chives :)

17. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Okay, those are definitely up there too

• Like Like x 1
  18. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

This is an unexpected "feature" of TSW2!
    I like Pringles very much!
    But there will be a chance for Lay's later too? :D

19. tallboy7648

Hence which is why I said that this seems to benefit Pringles the most because if DTG wanted more exposure, then it wouldn't make sense for it to just be in three countries.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Its quite hard to think of something hugely popular in all of Germany, UK and US. There are crossovers between two of the three but to get all of them isn't easy.

21. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

But you didn’t actually say that it benefitted Pringles the most anywhere in this thread. I’ve just reread all your posts to make sure. DTG will have more exposure in the countries the competition is running so it benefits all parties involved. Pringles is a big brand and putting the name of TSW out to all the people who follow them even just on social media in those three countries is massive exposure. Plus it will leak out across the world even to people who can’t take part. It’s all good.

22. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Lays = walkers in the U.K. ;)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  23. tallboy7648

Uh, I think you missed it. I did say "plus seeming to benefit Pringles the most" in the post where I raised some points about the competition in this thread. That's in the forth paragraph. No edits either

I do still stand by my point though that it would've been better to have the competition open to more countries

• Like Like x 2
  24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, missed it twice in a row :o

• Like Like x 1
  25. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself; I would think that would be at least as interesting. I'd definitely enter a competition that promises me to print my face on ingame boards. Even with a catchy phrase!

• Like Like x 1
  26. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

"When I empty my cylinder cocks, I always use Durex" :o;)

• Like Like x 12
  27. Calidore266

Some of this conversation has me confused. Pringles is advertising on TSW; TSW is not advertising on Pringles, correct? Or have I missed something?

28. akstorlied#2840

akstorlied#2840 Member

I've never seen a Pringles machine in my life, this is false advertising. Or is it? Where are these machines full of deliciousness?

29. ARuscoe

And both = PepsiCo...

30. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I have to say its Texas BBQ steak.

Hentis

31. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Oh Gilly :o

• Like Like x 1
  32. deki32

deki32 Well-Known Member

This sure is getting a bit silly. Not gonna lie. Waiting an eternity for a new loco dlc or other major feature updates(Steam was amazing btw, nothing against that) only to get Pringles vending machines… Good luck to the participants i guess? Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  33. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

There's obviously more money in sponsorship deals than DLC sales!

• Like Like x 2
  34. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Just to register, I don’t like this. I object to being advertised to in a game I’ve already paid for. Especially being as I’ve never seen a Pringles vending machine in real life. So in my view it’s not realistic.

If it was opt in, I wouldn’t mind so much, but I have bidstack turned off (never worked for me in Switzerland anyway). So why can’t it be tied into that? I can’t enter the competition anyway.

Also, just to run salt into my wounds, I had to download it over Hotel wifi which took hours.

From my personal point of view I hope this promotion fails and we never see such things again

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Calidore266

It's worse if you can mentally hear that in Rik Mayall's voice.

• Like Like x 4
  36. tallboy7648

Well it is a competition sponsored by and run by Pringles. They are getting more exposure than DTG are. DTG just place the ads and machines on some routes to advertise the potato chip brand and competition.

I just wish we can disable these ads like how PC players can turn off bidstack ad's. This should've been tied to bidstack in my opinion

• Like Like x 1
  37. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I just hope all the Pringles money means new content announcements soon lol.

Really appreciate the "pause" to let the preservation updates come through, but I'm itching to hear about what's coming next!

• Like Like x 4
  38. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Good job it wasn't skittles doing the promo and all the complaints which would have followed about the politics behind the message, taste the rainbow

• Like Like x 3
  39. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Oh well, ever step on to a bus, hail a cab, watch a movie in a theater or buy a subway ticket? We all get assailed with ads after buying something. Advertising is part and parcel of life in the big city ( or anyplace else ). I can't see what the fuss is about with billboards in the game, seems like real life.

I do find this one interesting, though. I've never seen this kind of vending machine in the US, which may be why we are excluded from the contest, although I think they have them in Canada. ( Correct me if I'm wrong ).

I do have a sweet tooth, though, so, if DTG ever link up with a candy manufacturer here in the US, I might be tempted to enter a contest. That's as long as it didn't involve any social media which Lady Gaga correctly described as " the toilet of the internet ".

• Like Like x 1
  40. grdaniel48

Yes, there are Pringles vending machines in real world.
    But not like the one showed for TSW2.

Pringles-Vending-Machine-TR207-.jpg Pringles-Vending-Machine-TR205-.jpg

41. tallboy7648

Except that there aren't any pringles adverts in real life on the Bakerloo line. Nor are there adverts of Pringles in SKA in real life. They didn't even bother to have the words in German at the very least. This is a realism issue and just like with the bidstick ads, players should have the option to turn these ads off since it's not realistic

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Except all of the things you mention already contain adverts and I'm aware of that at the point of purchase. In this case I have purchased a product that had no adverts at all and now I'm being advertised to. That is my objection. Therefore I believe it should be able to be switched off (as has already been done with bidstack). If DTG want to make it clear that future DLC's may contain adverts and fictional items such as vending machines that don't exist in real life, then so be it. Then it's up to me to make a choice. If I'm totally honest, if it's a route I really wanted, I'd probably be fine with it.

To be totally clear, I fully support DTG in seeking additional revenue streams. DTG has given us a lot for free.
    When you look at the work the preservation crew is doing, we've had some quite nice updates that go beyond just bug fixes. I just think things like adding adverts should only apply to new DLCs and be made clear up front. On current DLC it should in my opinion be optional.

43. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Look, the new wave of advertising is product placement in videogames. They've been doing it in movies for years - every time you see a character pop a Budweiser on camera, you can be sure AB-Inbev paid handsomely for it - and this is just an expansion of the idea. I suspect very strongly that whenever GTA VI comes out, there will be billboards advertising real-life products.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if these additions are a permanent fixture to the route or will they be removed once the competition ends? Do we get the choice?

45. grdaniel48

Yes it is that way!.
    Videogames advertisement is a really very big business. Even more than some ones on real things.

What you say on movies is also that way.
    Even the vehicle logos using in the movie is advertisment too.
    There are movies where they remove or hide them.

Any branded product on a movie, is advertisement..

So be the same here as a game or simulator.

46. grdaniel48

I guess it will be removed, as they are brands.
    So as I mentioned above, they will not do it for free.

For my point of view, it is not good to have advertisement on the simulator.
    But of course this is a business so it will be Ok for DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  47. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Sadly, I have to add. Whenever I see a movie now, and see a logo, I think "Is it placed there on purpose for ads? Is it just something they got the licence for (movie had to pay for it to be in the movie, just like music etc) or someone forgott to cover it up?"

Takes me out of the immersion to be honest, and so it will on TSW. Or have you never felt wierd watching a movie that plays all over the world but coincidentally everyone has the same phone or pc? Just like now no other brand except pringles will exist on TSW, great! And that after the updated billboards that we got "just so that we have a bigger variation of ads to improve immersion".

Thanks for that!

Usually I'm more on the soft side when it comes to critisism for this game, but this is a move that I definitely didn't saw comming and do not like at all.

EDIT: Before someone calls it a business move and that they have to make money; I already purchased all their DLC for TSW & TSW2, there is not much more that I can do.

• Like Like x 5
  48. ARuscoe

If you're paying that much attention to the phone or PC then the films kack

• Like Like x 1
  49. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

A partnership with the Kellogg Company? Shameful, though it could be worse; it could be a partnership with Nestle. Still, I would not want to partner with corporations best known for their contributions to the obesity epidemic and human rights violations.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  50. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Just want to log here: I’m really glad to be playing on the one platform that won’t be affected by this. These vending machines stick out like a sore thumb.

• Like Like x 2