Modular: Adding The Wivelsfield Branch Between Bml And Ecw As An Entirely Separate 9-mile Route

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by cloudyskies21, Jun 30, 2022.

1. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

So, the forums on here have long talked of adding the Wivelsfield branch between London Commuter (Brighton Mainline) and East Coastway (ECW) to join the two routes up. For context, this stretch of track stretches for roughly just 9 miles of countryside from Wivelsfield, before diverging from the BML at Keymer Junction to Lewes on ECW, with a pair of small, rural stations - Plumpton and Cooksbridge - in between.

My suggestion is to have this branch released as effectively a mini route DLC. Why, do you ask? Well, lets face it, route extensions and merges are highly complex tasks, and bring challenges to get a timetable working correctly. How long would we have to wait for this, years, if ever? The modular approach would be a quicker approach and, with just 9 miles of track in the countryside and just a few stations, hopefully it won't be too technical to achieve.

With this modular style, the Wivelsfield branch is completely separate, and would be available to those who wish, and importantly, for those who don't want it, their other two routes (London Commuter and ECW) would be unaffected by any extensions and/or merging.

Obviously, this separate, modular Wivelsfield branch would have drawbacks, namely having to change routes on TSW 2 three times if you want to drive between Victoria and Eastbourne - but I'd rather have this than not at all!

Other factors would also need addressing, such as that the London services would have to be added to the ECW timetable of course; then, you'll have the issue of having London Commuter and the separate Wivelsfield branch with the updated Class 377, and ECW with the original version.

While this suggestion may not be agreed by everyone, this option I see is the most realistic and achievable option to finally get the branch line without all the hassle of route extensions and/or merging. This modular technique could also be applied across other TSW 2 routes - such as London Commuter to Caterham and Tattenham Corner for example.

Additionally, DLC is what keeps this game fresh, so I see this all as a positive!

Plus, the Wivelsfield branch sees freight down to Newhaven, so maybe a good reason to add more Class 66 services into the London Commuter timetable?

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

IMG_20210602_114352.jpg
    A Southern service, operated by 377 149, departs Lewes towards Eastbourne in Summer 2021.

• Like Like x 2
  2. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

I’d get this to finally complete my route with the 395 on scenario planner from Eastbourne - Lewes, Lewes - Wivelsfield and Wivelsfield - Victoria

• Like Like x 1
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This should make 1F96 Drivable from London Victoria to Eastbourne for Ore. At Lewes it splits up from the Front section which was 2C96 London Victoria to Seaford. Provided DTG merges ECW BML and Wivelsfield Connector route.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I think this would be great if it ever becomes possible. Despite the complexities, it'll be a great idea

• Like Like x 1
  5. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

I think this is a good option. Perhaps it could be rolled out to connect other routes too. The idea of giving us short branch lines at a lower cost would work for many missing stretches of route such as all the GWE branches.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I’ve been trying to get this since it BML was released. Cooksbridge is my local station so I was quite disappointed when it wasn’t added. It’s also a better crew change place for the Eastbourne and Ore services on BML.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cloudyskies21

Indeed, would be fantastic to go the whole route and would provide some highly interesting gameplay!

Thanks!

Yeah, GWE is a great example. This seems the most realistic option for at least having the branches, even if it means having a couple mini routes within a route itself. Just out of interest, what is the distance/journey time for some of the branches?

• Like Like x 1
  8. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The thing about gwe is that dtg said that there would be like big differences between how it was built and how they build routes today. There would be like a big contrast between the now gwe route and how they would build it if there were extensions and stuff. Gwe would need like some sort of graphical improvement/overhaul to blend in well with how routes look like now. But it would still be welcome once they master it if they can

• Like Like x 2
  9. elarthur

I believe I have outlined distance of the branches in a previous thread about GWE Branch Lines.

• Like Like x 1
  10. seandouglas

seandouglas Active Member

This route would be so much more appealing if you doubled up the route from Lewes to Eastbourne and then extended the line to Ore. Would mean basically having the same section of track on two routes but would also complete East Coastway and the BML in one move.

• Like Like x 2
  11. cloudyskies21

You make a good point, again there are positives and negatives from the modular style approach. But, then again, considering the recent preservation update to GWE, it may be a long time before they go back. So, at this time, I think I'd rather have the branch lines added regardless, rather than not at all.

Absolutely! The route up to Ore has some stunning views of the coastline - plus if this part of the route was extended, you'd have Southeastern AI traffic around the Hastings area. Plus, a perfect train DLC would be Southern's Class 171 on the link between Eastbourne to Ashford to increase traffic and gameplay variety.

• Like Like x 2
  12. elarthur

Totally agree with the whole section from Wivelsfield to Ore, the Southeastern AI and the Class 171. Very appealing choice.
    As far as GWE branches go, they would only require the stations along the mainline where they each emerge to be reworked. If released as micro routes at low purchase prices, each would surely take only short timescales to create but would be somewhat popular in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It's a good suggestion but probably hits the brick wall of DTG having no interest in joining or extending existing routes.

• Like Like x 1