64 Reasons To Play Train Simulator – I: Ts2019

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Sep 19, 2018.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Over the next several weeks, we are going to be covering all the reasons why you should be playing Train Simulator, and if you already are, maybe there will be something you haven’t thought of yet!

This week, we are going to be covering the latest and greatest: Train Simulator 2019

READ MORE

• Like Like x 12
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Three tidbits in one post... not so bad

3. ragn05

ragn05 Well-Known Member

are 8 reasons not 64 :)

4. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

I'm a bit excited for this, glad that it isn't too far off. Nice to also see that what is being offered, are all the most recent route expansions, two of which I don't yet have, so this will definitely be worth investing more into. I really hope that this 64 will have solved many of the issues that have plagued many us who have invested so much time and money into this. And especially for those who create routes, and have struggled with the tools to get them done. Can't wait for more info.

5. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

1. Good to see an earlier date than I had speculated
    2. Not much more insight into 64 bit but hopefully that follows
    3. A good choice of new routes for anyone new to the game. However for me Portsmouth Direct is one of the more laggy routes because of the richness. That might surprise some new players who find that a pretty capable Pc is needed to run that with the graphics up. Perhaps this might be a good time for DTG to revise the recommended hardware requirements if this is the type of content in the base game?
    4.The inclusion of varied editions is also promising. Hopefully there will be some options for existing players as well as new ones.
    5. The 1gb download size for 64 bit (mentioned in the New Era thread) was more than anticipated, but for most hopefully not an issue. Knowing nothing about Steam capacity but presuming that’s not going to be an issue on release day?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

Very good news, can't wait for 64-bit. Had enough of turning scenery quality down for 32-bit :P

On the other hand, a question.
    As I own all included content except the Salt Lake City extension, is there a 'complete my collection' edition that only covers the bit you don't already own?

Otherwise, can't wait as said.
    I have spend thousands of euro's into the game, own more then half of the steam library (close to 3/4) and many third party items, such as Dutch, German and English content (trains, routes, assets and scenario's).

7. Course carriage

Course carriage Member

hopefully it will work smoothly and will not cause any problem.

8. barrrybeet

barrrybeet New Member

about upated London Paddington from southall ececity wire to reading and class387130-174 4cars and class360201-205 4cars and class 332001-14

9. Larwood

Larwood New Member

It would be great if DTG started using bundles in Steam instead of packages, it really sucks getting penalised because a package comes out and you already have one of the items in the package.

10. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

Great news! I've thought it would come much later, about December 25th. Thanks, guys.

Could you answer some questions please?
    1. Do you have plans to improve landscape resolution to at least 1024x1024 per 8m grid? There're no limitations for x64 engine now and your graphics (and our assets) will greatly improve their visual quality... Landscape is the weakest part of a gameplay picture now.

2. Will we see any updates in loco simulation system, new controls or API maybe?
    3. Will some ancient bugs be fixed like not-working mechanical Compressor?
    4. Any improvements in track system? Weather? New kind of blueprints?

Thanks again!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Great news and looking forward to Oct 11 release date.

12. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

64-bit should greatly improve the user experience both when playing and when developing content. I am expecting the game to crash FAR less now.

13. jumbs10

jumbs10 New Member

Little disappointed that there are no new routes with this release. Do we have to buy it to get 64 bit upgrade

14. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

People complain when the release comes with a new route (TS2018 and North Wales Coastal) and then complain when the next one doesn't come with a route. The definition of futility?

After all, what other routes would DTG put in this package? With more and more work going into TSW, they don't have the time to make a new route just for the yearly update thing.

Regardless, this update is about 64 bit, not about the routes.

• Like Like x 2
  15. NekoNina

NekoNina Well-Known Member

Can you give some e
    Nope, you get that update for free, as Luke mentioned several times before now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Maybe you should take a page from Nintendo's book and start naming different DLCs with 64 in the title. For example: Soldier Summit 64, Portsmouth Direct 64, Frankfurt High Speed 64, etc.

17. rare_common_sense

No. That would imply that it only works in 64 bit only. Remember, TS is still going to be able run in 32 bit as well, you'll just get the option to start it in 64 bit like some other games do.

18. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

I'd like to have separate x64 version to remove tons of obsolete content. Cause I'm a RW/TS user since 2008, I have many old routes and rolling stock I wish to remove without breaking the dependencies.

19. ARuscoe

I think people are likely getting confused. The ROUTES won't be only 32 or 64 bit. The engine that runs the routes will be one or the other, but I agree that routes optimised for 32 bit or 64 bit could be marked as such. Would be a ton of work retrospectively going through all the 3rd party content to do this though

20. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

Routes cannot be x64-specific cause they're using same DEV tools as x86.

The only reason to separate x64 content could be, for example, support of 4K textures. Should be nice, but I don't think we'll see such feature. Talking about graphical capabilities, all Not-Be-Named-There products have landscape resolution up to 2048x2048 for 10m scale grid. And some like TSW use 4096 FullHD maps.

The main advantage of using x64 engine is no limitation of RAM and GRAM usage on top-notch desktop PCs. So large and heavily detalised routes will work much more stable and with slightly higher frame rates.

21. Medellinexpat

John Murphy i think you may be right. Ultimately some routes or scenarios are going to be so detailed and have such a large memory footprint that although in theory they’ll work on 32 bit they just aren’t going to be stable. I actually think there’s going to be a very large number of new items like this. Developers will a) want to make their routes more rich and b) the time to market will be reduced if they don’t continually have to compromise working within the memory limitations. From a workshop and personal point of view I would imagine many on here, including myself, are going to take advantage of the ability to add more and diverse stock to any scenarios that we build.

So yes the 32 bit option will exist but more and more new items won’t be suitable.

What will be interesting is whether Professional developers will continue to test new content on both 32 and 64 bit.
    My expectation that developers won’t designate new content as 64 bit only but will include some wording in the description that makes it pretty clear that it’s ‘heavy’, or use some designation like ‘Pro’.

As a community we will move from a constant fear of dumps to worrying about frame rates as our rigs struggle to process the 300 locos someone placed in a scenario. The ability to diversify content is also likely to lead to more and more DLC requirements for Scenarios.

22. ARuscoe

I agree with this, but can see it also being an issue. We see enough posts about people complaining about too much pay for content or installs crashing (even if they're user error)
    I look at some requirement lists and almost gasp (looked at the XCOUNTRY route last week, 25 core requirements and 35 scenario requirements)

• Like Like x 1
  23. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Jeez I was making a joke about the old N64 naming scheme. I wasn't being serious that they should put "64" at the end of all their routes. Lighten up a little.

24. Medellinexpat

John Murphy lighten up? I hadn’t taken your post literally to suggest they used the old N64 naming scheme but rather that DLC built with 64 bit as the intended platform be labeled as such. That seemed to me entirely sensible. If nothing else warning 32 bit players from not buying or downloading DLC that’s isn’t built to be stable in 32 bit seems the right thing to do.

25. rare_common_sense

I believe he was directing that to me LOL.

26. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

????????????????

27. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Maybe DTG will get round to publishing part 2 of this article today as it's been more than a week since this one.

28. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I think that DTG gets to set publishing schedules, not forum members. If they concentrated on your preference, others would complain that they were not paying attention to their demands. Would you like to be under pressure to respond to multiple questions, complaints, and demands every single day?

29. ARuscoe

True, but I have been wondering when the next 8 reasons might be sprung upon us given there's now two weeks til their published release date and 56 reasons left (if what they say is actually their intention). I just didn't post about these musings

30. SamYeager270

Get out of bed the wrong side today? It wasn't a question, complaint or demand but merely a passing comment.

As to your query I didn't apply for the post of Community Manager but I'm sure Luke had a pretty reasonable idea of what the job entailed before he applied.

31. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

Ooooooh, under pressure, great song by Queen, it's my signature tune, I've been singing it since 1982......

32. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

i think this week they might talk about implemented other fixes/additions as part of the core upgrade, which we will talk about at a later date. section of update. i'm keen on hearing about this :)

33. SamYeager270

Sadly this week's update is pretty disappointing IMHO.

34. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Are you posting in the correct thread?

35. nachman.pecos

nachman.pecos New Member

I wasn't being serious that they should put "64" at the end of all their routes. Lighten up a little.