Next Rivet Route Speculation

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by highland beastie, May 20, 2022.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Diesels generally, given the 204

• Like Like x 5
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Arosa had two problems at launch: first off, braking physics which were completely borked- a situation made worse by Rivet essentially lying to us, telling us that the problem was driving technique and even doing a video on a completely fictional way to drive, rather than admit the physics were screwed up.

Well, they did fix that, finally - but they have never fixed the horrible, Kuju-grade scenery in what should have been the most spectacular route in TSW. (When I drive it, I do it in winter with mist or fog- sort of like pouring ketchup on a bad steak).

• Like Like x 4
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

New screenshot out on rivets facebook

• Like Like x 1
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

If it’s what I was just looking at, third rail modern platform, oh gawd another Electrostar era route in the South East, possibly? Or it could be Merseyrail but not really much to go on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Upgraded IOW for 484.

• Like Like x 4
  6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I wonder how would that work? Would the 484 loco DLC actually include a different IOW?

7. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It probably could.

8. A new route will do nicely. Don't care where it is or what it is. As long as I can play all the scenarios and not get stuck at red lights or randomly spaded, I'll be happy enough.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Well, seeing that the real Island Line was improved recently, including adding in the 484s. I would not be surprised if Rivet is doing the same for this loco add-on if it is for the IoW route.

• Like Like x 1
  10. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Class 484 then and an upgraded Isle of Wright route perhaps :o

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yes - my point was different, the "483 IoW" and the "484 IoW" are for all intents and purposes two different routes, the track alignment and platform placements are slightly different, so I guess (I hope) if I get the Class 484 loco DLC then I won't ruin the Class 483 version, and I sincerely hope they don't just update the route making the 483 completely unrealistic.

We either got it all wrong and they are building a british loco DLC for the mainland, and on top of that doing the 484 and a new Isle of Wight which I doubt) or they have to get creative in how they implement the Class 484.

12. chieflongshin

If so..... more money saved

• Like Like x 4
  13. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

If it's the standard IoW with just the 484 then it will be a pass for me.
    And I don't believe for one minute that theyll be releasing a revamped IoW route

• Like Like x 3
  14. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

In this case i think they could / would do, but the question is how much they are gonna change. Its not just platform height. Brading got an extra loop, signalling was changed (not sure how much), and few more things. As far there is the modern era with all the changes, i would actually buy this dlc full price.

484.jpg

But maybe the entire community is wrong and they make in fact a class 442 ;) (The 484 was a wrong hint obviously):
    gw.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Sales would be atrocious if they release a ‘recycled’ IOW route. Especially given the poor reputation the original route got.

• Like Like x 3
  16. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

It is an upgraded iow, because the platform showed matches that irl on the line.

• Like Like x 3
  17. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

But I think they are branding it as a "loco DLC" so I assume it would be €14 (£12 IIRC)

18. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

If it's a 484 it would be interested to see it fit in the tunnels lol

• Like Like x 2
  19. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

If it were an updated IoW, would it still count as a loco DLC if the route got modernised as well?

20. chieflongshin

I genuinely do not see them updating a route for a paid dlc. They might as well just say bend over community, you've bought our other bits

21. redrev1917

I'll be absolutely gutted if they release a 484. Of all the trainsets available across all the UK routes why, just why would choose that one?

• Like Like x 5
  22. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's just a fundamentally boring route. Low speed, low activity, no variety of traffic, stopping pattern, signal checks or anything else. You could make an absolutely perfect recreation of it, and it would still be boring.

Looks like they've spent hundreds of hours changing textures and creating another uninteresting train to go on it though. Their choice, I suppose.

• Like Like x 2
  23. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I mean there was a thread with 9 likes on the Suggestions forum, so maybe proving a point? [sarcasm] jokes apart, no idea, I guess they might see it useful if they have any intention of modeling the actual C stock in the future, or they think it might sell well? It certainly is an odd choice.

And they better not to! If it's just an update to IoW the 483 will become out of place. They'd have to release a different route alongside for it to work - which seems a nightmare in terms of maintaining both routes in the future.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  24. redrev1917

9 whole likes? I take it back, clearly the demand for this is out there then. But back in reality, no sane person would sit around a table and say that a 484 is going to be the most profitable UK loco DLC option surely...

25. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yeah... surely it's not a "cheap" project either considering the modifications to the route

26. redrev1917

I fear anyone expecting an update to the route are going to be bitterly disappointed. I'm sure if this is the loco then this is simply going to be a new loco on the existing route.

27. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

But the screenshot above is eerily similar to the new platforms in IoW. I wouldn't be surprised if they only tweaked the station's models and didn't bother with the other changes (extra passing loop, signaling and tunnels) but at this point I don't know... it makes little sense to me as well. I guess we'll have to wait and see

28. redrev1917

Screenshot_20220704-220201.png

Looking more and more likely that it is indeed a 484. Ah well seeing as IoW is just 1 of 2 routes I don't own it'll be a pass from me. How will I ever survive?

• Like Like x 1
  29. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

"Boring" is rather subjective. Slow & quiet routes can be enjoyable as well, here i speak only for my self.

My guess is its advertised as loco dlc, so you need the base route for it. And the 484 dlc brings the new changes. Not sure, maybe the changes can also be included in just another timetable? Not sure about that.

• Like Like x 3
  30. chieflongshin

I don't get what the point is of developing for an 8 mile track. Is there only 2 people in their team or something. I know they're not as big as dtg but surely pumping out some decent longer routes would yield if the quality was good.

They'll be all over Barry from granthams sit on railway next with one old train, 3 carriages and a 40m route round his garden with 6 passenger services for the day as his grandkids visit and a freight run taking the shopping from the car to kitchen window

• Like Like x 1
  31. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Keep in mind Isle of Wight at standard pricing is only $5 more than a loco DLC, and if it's a separate route it has the advantage of being available for everyone, not just owners of Isle of Wight. I don't think it's nessicary a smart idea, but I could easily see how Rivet would justify the idea of making a second, entirely independent version of Isle of Wight in their heads.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  32. redrev1917

I'm scrapping the bottom of barrel here to try and find some positive over this.

The best I can come up with is that if a new IoW route with a 384 is a commercial success it might tempt DTG to redo GWE in the modern era.....

• Like Like x 1
  33. They could be adding the heritage line to iow?

34. With a new addition to steam locomotion.

35. chieflongshin

I mean this is a proper suspended upside down,head fully in, magnifying glasses on (illuminated) with a spoon scraping the barrel. Don’t do this to yourself mate :o;)

36. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Actually some miniature rideable railways are quite interesting. Our local one at Coate Water is quite extensive and takes 10 minutes or more to ride around. The Big Daddy of them all is Train Mountain out in the western USA. Would actually be fascinating to see in TSW either as is or scaled up to 1:1 size.

https://coatewaterrailway.wixsite.com/swindon/visitor-info

http://trainmtn.org/tmrr/Resources/maps/Triennial_Map_4-1-18-2.pdf

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  37. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Maybe it’s a new direction. Quality over quantity.

They’ve shown us they can’t really handle scenery on large routes and the physics of some of their rolling stock are poor with plenty of bugs.

Their rolling stock modelling however is first class so if they can knuckle down and release a few high quality rolling stock DLC’s, with extra time spent on physics and bugs instead of a route, I’m sure it will do much for them.

38. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Nobody is surprised.

I guess this will be the first loco DLC to release with a new route in it

P.S. nice BR155 sounds in there

• Like Like x 1
  39. redrev1917

Nobody is surprised and very few are pleased to be proved right.
    I mean it's a nice looking trainset but it's still an 8 mile route with very little variety.

• Like Like x 2
  40. I guess it will make way for some d stock re skins on gwe atleast.

41. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Even if I do actually like the IoW even to me this seems like a waste of resources... I'd much rather have a new German electric or British EMU, or even better, another swiss train to make Luzern feel less empty.

Don't think the formations will be anything apart from 2 and 4 coaches so it would be a pretty short tube train

• Like Like x 1
  42. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

It is a new British EMU ;)

Me being a cheeky bugger aside, it does seem like they are rebuilding the route: 'Get an exclusive first look on the Class 484, the new train for our Island Line 2022 route for Train' (I assume they accidentally didn't put in the whole description), Island Line 2022 sounds like a new version to me

• Like Like x 1
  43. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Well they have to don't they? The 484 does not fit in the tunnels and the platforms.

I truly don't understand how they came to building this train.

• If they wanted to sell a lot building something for BML and/or SEHS (I.e. thameslink 700) seems like a guaranteed win to me
    • In terms of long term gains, a swiss train would have made much more sense for starting to build the swiss ecosystem
    • If they were willing to remaster a route, why not the much more popular electric GWE with the 800?
    But I guess it's me vs a company that I think has a team focused on deciding those things so what do I know?

• Like Like x 4
  44. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

The main question at this is whether or not they're doing scenery improvements beyond the trackside? And if they are, will those improvements come in for the original version of Isle of Wight? Because the main concern I'd have with them doing a second version is that whether or not they're gonna improve the original route going forward.

45. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

From the article:

If you own the original Isle of Wight route you will also be getting a free update which has various updates and improvements including updated water textures used in Rivet’s West Cornwall route. Both the original Isle of Wight and the new Island Line 2022 are separate routes, one does not overwrite the other.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the route, but is there really that much different to the 2021 version of the route and the one we got in the current DLC?

I mean, I'm not against having different versions of the same route, I was quite happy with both the BR Green and BR Blue version of TSC Woodhead Line, as well as enjoying both modern day Riviera Line and the Riviera Line in the Fifties, but those routes had quite some differences between both versions...

Did the Island Line really change that much?

• Like Like x 1
  47. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

There’s some information about it here.

However, I’m not sure how much changed in real world use.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking, it's one thing to backdate a modern route to the 50's, because for many places the difference is night and day. Infrastructure around the line's is usually completely different after 50 years, and often the track network is usually quite different thanks to either up or downturns in traffic since. Hell, you have the extreme case of Sherman Hill & Cheyenne 1869 in TS Classic, technically representing the same line, but if you didn't know that going in it's completely unrecognizable.

However while stuff like the stations have changed and there's been little bits of trackwork I don't think there's a whole ton which differentiates between the two outside of the immediate trackside given they're only set two years apart.

49. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

‘Would of rather had’ aside, it’s certainly an interesting DLC concept.

I’m interested to see more of the route, and of course the train too.

• Like Like x 1
  50. chieflongshin

Well the train looks ermmm EMUsing. Another 3rd rail one, lovely looking model though. I couldn't get my wallet out last time for isle of man so doubt I will this time, the only 8mile I'll be watching is this....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1