Question Thread - Roadmap Stream, 5th July

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DTG JD, Jul 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Not just gameplay issues, but all kinds of issues. Such a list would be nice, as it would at least give us some recognizition and acknownledgement that some things are actually considered an 'issue' by DTG. Even though it's not actively worked on, we at least know that DTG agrees there's room for improvements and things aren't working as intended.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

There have been at least three "state of the game" type chats since Xmas, and several times even JD has said he's tired of apologising for the things which are broken in game. What more acknowledgement do you need that things aren't working as they intended?

3. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

This isn't a suggestion, this is just an example what could he great to have

4. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Any News on Scenario Planner / Livery Designer Vr.2?

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Long Island Railroad will be getting a preservation crew update.

6. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

That's nice for those things that are clearly broken, but there's also quite a few things which aren't necessarily game breaking, but could use improvement (in the community POV). To me, it isn't clear wether DTG agrees with the community POV. Several questions has been asked in this topic, but basically DTG just replied that they'll say the same old "if it isn't on the roadmap, it isn't being worked on", which, I believe, isn't an answer that really answers these kind of questions.

Things like train physics, audio, lighting, etc. in many cases aren't necessarily broken, but that doesn't mean there isn't a desire for improvement. If all we get is a "it isn't being worked on", this whole Q&A suddenly became a lot less useful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ARuscoe

And for many people something that granular would be too long and convoluted. Somewhere there has to be a balance and maybe that's something DTG will never be able to find
    After all it's not like they can just publish their snaglist or ticket system

8. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Even at the risk of being stoned now-
    I could well imagine a heavily(!) extended scenario planner / livery designer as a DLC.

On the one hand, because these tools are not used by everyone, certainly on the consoles, on the other hand, it is certainly not an easy task to expand these tools according to the user's wishes.

We already have both tools, albeit rudimentary, and I think it would be ok if it came out as DLC - provided it was worthy of it in scope. So everyone can decide for themselves whether they need these tools or not, but the costs for them would also be covered. After all, it doesn't program itself. And maybe you could outsource it to third-party developers.

And if it really did have the features we can only dream of today, I'd be willing to pay 15 bucks for it. Others who don't need it just save it. After all, the people at DTG do not live from our wishes alone.

9. tallboy7648

So then what's the point of the QA then? Not everyone was just asking or wondering for new routes you know. The same generic response isn't gonna stop some of the conversations about lighting or physics for example. You can't say if the company agrees with the community's point of view on some things

• Like Like x 1
  10. tallboy7648

Who cares if it would be too long. They can always just summarize it. Someone from the community would probably do that as well. Nobody has even asked to publish their ticket sysyem

• Like Like x 1
  11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Forgot the uproar when DTG initially wanted to make the Creators Club part of a paid DLC? Didn't go too well...

Editing tools, of any kind, should be free. The more people have access to these tools, the more community content we all have access to.

• Like Like x 5
  12. tallboy7648

Remember how DTG tried to charge for creators club? That was an unpopular idea and they didn't do it. We paid for this game so it makes zero sense to charge players to do repaints. No game does that as far as I know. Editing tools or the ability to repaint should be free. It makes no sense to charge for the ability to customize your experience. The more people that have access to these tools, the more the community benefits

• Like Like x 3
  13. ARuscoe

"Things like train physics, audio, lighting, etc. in many cases aren't necessarily broken, but that doesn't mean there isn't a desire for improvement."
    So there are loads of issues to do with physics, audio, lighting, things like red light issues, pathing issues etc etc. If DTG "summarized" they could just as easily say "Yep, we want to fix everything, but if it's not on the map..." ie exactly what they have been doing which as the person above says is basically useless.

14. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I remember them talking an hour about the console DLC limit issues. That's all good and fine for console users, but as a PC player, it really was no interest to me. I'm sure they can spend a minute on things like lighting that affects all platforms and the majority, if not all, DLC.

The fact that there's a page long discussion topic about it, and several people have brought it up on this Q&A topic, is a good indication that quite a few people would like DTG to take a stance on the issue.

• Like Like x 2
  15. tallboy7648

I can understand your perspective. But I feel like DTG should summarize these issues in articles as well for those that don't have the time to watch a two hour live stream

Also the reality is that TSW2 is on different platforms so there can be issues that affect some players on a specific platform but not others on a different platform. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be discussed in detail just because it doesn't affect you. The PS5 dlc issue doesn't affect me but personally I do find the topic interesting and I don't think that it shouldn't be discussed at detail just because it doesn't affect me.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ARuscoe

This suggests that A> You think that dynamic loading and unloading of DLC doesn't open up opportunities for all platforms and B> That lighting is a single fix issue. Neither are correct
    Dynamic DLC would open up the possibility for route mergers and extensions that could be loaded on the fly
    Lighting requires tweaking of all assets that produce or interact with said light, ie most of them

• Like Like x 1
  17. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I already asked to add the Q&A to the article as well, because streams are an inefficient method to find specific pieces of information. Haven't had a reply yet. Perhaps DTG JD can give us a head up if we can expect the article itself to shine some light on the questions posted in this topic.

I didn't mind them spending an hour discussing the subject, but if I knew in advance it'd take an hour, I would've skipped an hour. Problem with streams is that you can't just skip to the next chapter, since you have no clue at what timestamp the next chapter even starts.

However, my point was, that if they could spend an hour to discuss a subject that only affect a portion of the playerbase, it shouldn't be a problem taking a few minutes to discuss a subject that affects us all.

Lets agree to disagree. DTG offered me the possibility to ask a question, so I did (and I wasn't alone). It's up to DTG to come with an answer.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ARuscoe

And both of us will likely jump into the article when it's posted... As always

19. When are you planning on applying a fix for sos service mode?

And random derailment issue?

I understand that lighting is not on your list of priorities but are you ever gonna address it?

Sounds on the 387 still have cutting out issues! Is this on the agenda?

Thanks.

20. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

With the reveal of the 2022 Island Line a interesting question has came to mind with it. So I know DTG has stated in the past they don't do unlicensed/brandless content and the reasons for their decisions, and it makes decent enough sense. However during TS Classic though we did get a few lines like that by third parties, mainly for a number of years we got international brandless versions of the BNSF routes to allow for sale worldwide. While I understand that these are third parties, these were still sold on Steam, and thus have DTG's name, and presumably approval attached to these products. This would lead me think they could get DTG in hot water with companies in the same way as if a first party route were to be made without branding. Could you explain the reasoning why DTG themselves can't make unbranded content, but can host unbranded third party content on the Steam?

• Like Like x 1
  21. ARuscoe

DTG CAN make unbranded content, they have done so for TSC (North Wales Coastal, South Wales Mainline and the Marshes Line all spring to mind) but those were all released originally WITH branding (Virgin and Arriva) but those companies then removed the licenses when they lost the franchise, so DTG kind of had to remove them (orphaning a few things along the way)
    In TSW they COULD do this, but they have chosen not to, obviously Rivet being 3rd party can make their own choices

22. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

They've said in the past that they don't like doing unbranded content because it can make it harder to negotiate with companies. However hosting unbranded content seems like it should cause the same issues, yet they do it anyways. It's such a odd stance to take from the outside looking in, and that's why want to hear them explain their logic behind it.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

No, I missed that. And no, I don't think it makes sense to charge fees for players who share their own creations either! The shot can only backfire.

And I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about the Scenario Planner / Livery Designer 2.0. About these tools themselves. But the wishes and demands on it are high and yet not everyone wants them. I look at it like any other DLC. If you don't want SoS, don't buy it. But it was created and it took time and money. Even for those who didn't want it and didn't buy it.

But if there were sophisticated tools that take almost every wish into account, why does it have to be for free? Compared to other DLC?

Ok, now I don't know to what extent the planner/designer is anchored in the core game and whether it could even run as a separate DLC. It has to be core, otherwise it wouldn't be able to access other DLC either. It is therefore only a theoretical idea as to whether and how it could be implemented.

But that brings me to another question, what is core and what is DLC? So it means that you have to treat each DLC as a separate game. But there are also basic functions, namely Core. But which ones are they and which ones aren't? There's little point in worrying about it if you don't know what is connected to what. Like the night light thing. Is that core or does it have to be edited for each individual DLC? These are interesting questions!

It may be that this has long since been answered (in the streams). But I don't watch them consciously, because I only understand half of them anyway and half of them are wrong. I don't have subtitles and my english is not that good. But I'll take a look tonight...

24. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

GWE HST Livery Question:-
    When the GWE HST gets Livery support I am assuming you will change the model as the current one has the GWR 3D Logo as part of the model. This would obviously ruin any Livery repaints. Just wanted to ask how this model will be updated.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  25. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Article is live now.

(and sorry if I misspoke earlier Purno - the reference was specifically to specific route-based requests. We will speak about lighting etc. and larger game focuses, later - can't promise it'll be what you want to hear, but we'll chat about it and discuss it.

As for a write-up, we do now timestamp specific parts of the VOD so it's more easily navigable. As we can't get across some of the nuance involved in live streams as we'd do in written form (not to mention how much content we get through!), we hope that's a suitable compromise.

• Like Like x 2
  26. max#3831

max#3831 Member

Will there be any interurban Railways like the Sacramento Northern Railway for Train Simulator? If so for Train Sim World 2 will you guys do the Pacific Electric railway that ran in Los Angeles, CA or the North Shore Line which ran between Milwaukee WI and Chicago IL?

• Like Like x 1
  27. Greyhound

Greyhound Member

How's work going on the stability and overall quality of London - Brighton on eighth-generation consoles? The route seems to have had some improvements since launch but there is still a lot wrong. Have all the collision volumes (think that's what Matt called them) been removed around the rails to use less memory?

28. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

How about you concentrate on the most popular questions being posed rather than individual route suggestions? You can answer those questions via the ticker.

Rather than just an acknowledgement some kind of fix would be good no?

Could there be a regular stream of a Q&A session. Getting just 10 minutes a month hardly seems in depth. I used to watch all the streams but what with the generalisation, vague answers they have become a real chore to watch. I only tend to watch Cat when she streams as she has a sense of humour.

Can you address the poor lighting in the game? How about you stand outside a Town/Railway station at night in an elevated position and take a photo just to remind DTG how BRIGHT stations are at night?

Any chance the RailDriver could be looked at as calibration is still iffy at best.

• Like Like x 1
  29. tallboy7648

And when I play F1 22, I don't play myteam and make my own custom car. Nor do I use livery designer in TSW2.

The point is any options that allow players to customize shouldn't cost a penny to consumers. Yes there will be some players that won't use them but that is no reason to charge money for it. Games have options to customize their experience yet they are included in the base game. There is no reason to charge people to paint their own train or create scenarios just because some may not want to use it. No game does this and it would be a ridiculous thing to do.

If a player wants to use it, that's fine. If they don't, then that's fine as well. It's called having options and that is no excuse to charge someone for making new liveries or scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  30. johncoaltrain

johncoaltrain Member

Given the recent Horseshoe Curve updates, are there any plans to look at the GEVO dynamic braking too? And equally some of the other US freight routes where braking performance is a bit funky?

• Like Like x 1
  31. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

There's been mention that the original Isle of Wight will receive a upgrade, but how extensive will this be? Obviously changes specifically made for the 484 won't be included, but will all other upgrades be included, or will the update only bring a portion of them over?

32. ARuscoe

Of course, but then if they're fixed they wouldn't need to be acknowledged as problems...

33. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

That is true of course but if DTG keep moaning at having to acknowledge problems the best way to get rid of that is to fix it no? The poor lighting being an excellent example.

34. madmatt213

madmatt213 Member

Any plans to ever update the PC Microsoft Store with newer DLC (post early 2021)?

I'm primarily an Xbox Series X player, but recently bought a new PC, so I've been dabbling with the Microsoft Store version of the game. It's great having my save/profile work between Xbox and PC. It would be absolutely fantastic if all of the newer DLC were also available on the Microsoft Store (I think pretty much everything after Cathcart release never made it to the PC Microsoft Store version of the game).

35. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I don't see any timestamps. Am I overlooking something, DTG JD ?

• Like Like x 1
  36. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

I need to add them in manually afterwards (normally the next morning). Should be available here now.

It's timestamped with chapters so you can easily navigate to the bits you're interested in.

37. robinson.will38b

robinson.will38b New Member

Hello, can you get the class 150 from cornish local on Northern Trans Pennine, Tees Valley etc via scenario planner into the ps4 version please

38. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

DTG JD will these be carrying forward into next roadmap stream or will you be announcing tsw 3 :D

I can still act surprised as requested ;)

• Like Like x 1
  39. olivermccormack9

olivermccormack9 New Member

Is there a possibility of a new EMU either the Class 380, 320 or 318 coming to Cathcart Cirlce? It has been over a year and not much has changed.

Ollie

40. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Should be a new roadmap next week I believe. Cathcart sis really in need of more things whipping around on it I agree but it’s such a limited route

• Like Like x 1
  41. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Has Island Line 2022 proven that unlicensed trains and/or updated revamped routes can be a commercial success and are we likely to see more of either(or both).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.