Train Sim World 2 - A Coastal Retreat

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Jul 5, 2022.

1. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

There are quite a few tweaks, which we'll detail with the release notes when the update hits. We'll talk over a few of them tonight.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

If kids cared only about what was new and shiny everyone would've flocked to see that UP Tier-4 SD70ACe when it came to my town. From what I remember nobody, adults or kids really cared about it, they were too busy looking at the big steam loco in front of it.

Being newer doesn't make it popular with the kids by default, and even if that was true, with how much DLC costs in this game very few kids are even playing this in the first place.

Isle of Wight is already a niche route, I don't think a whole ton are gonna be thrilled enough to double dipping. And I don't think a new version of the line with the 484's gonna have anymore appeal to those who weren't interest in the original line before.

At standard pricing probably, but mind you Isle of Wight goes for half off at this point, so it's still got the advantage with steam sales. If anything it makes me question how popular the 2022 line is gonna be even more. If there's a version which is available for half the price of the new one, just with different stock then how many are really gonna end up grabbing this version?
    In TS Classic DTG themselves don't do unlicensed content, but they're ok with hosting third party DLCs which do that. It is a extremely strange and I feel kind of stupid stance to take, but that's the stance they took with TSC, that's what they seem to be taking with TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Clearly you havent seen WCL where a maintenance train behind a Cl37 was included then.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I believe you answered your own question before you asked it

5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Looks like it opens the possibility of a SWR route that means the PDL if Rivet got the license properly. I wonder if we can get the Diesel multiple unit version the Class 230 for a Welsh route

• Like Like x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I just remember that at the time of the original release the was quite a bit of talk on the forum that it should have been the new train (not even in service at that point) and a bit of resistance specifically to the age of the 483, and afterwards quite a few requests for the 484 to be added as a DLC. I guess Rivet saw the same feedback as I saw. Anyone who wanted the 484 as a pure loco DLC are going to be getting much more with this release, so they will all surely buy it (plus others like myself who wouldn’t have bought it without the changes to the route but will consider it now), and lots of people who will get it as it is a route DLC on the cheap or solely because it is the newer train. It’s like a loco-plus DLC and is quite clever by Rivet. I think it will do alright.

• Like Like x 8
  7. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Yeh DTG said they would not make unbranded content for TSW. Oh the irony. So much for "accurate recreations of locos and routes"

I suspect this was a case of they were too far into the project to not cancel but then realized that the license they had for the original IOW couldn't be applied to this route and thus the swr license couldn't be applied hence the fictional livery.

That reminds me of what happened to the DB BR 101 where DTG had all the reference for the 101 and IC coaches but not the cab car but were too far into the project to cancel.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

" It's time to revisit the beautiful coastal scenery.....of the Isle of Wight...."
    Does that mean that they've improved the texture of the Solent to make it look more like water? I wonder what other improvements have been made?
    If they're substantial, it might be a worthwhile purchase for me because I quite liked the original for a relaxing half hour.

I could do without another one of those samey emus, though. I've got more than enough. Of course, then again , I'm having a whale of a time on GWE with the 166 and 101 which look similar but are so much more fun to drive. Diesels invariably need a little more " driving ".

Still, industrial design is very dull these days, isn't it? Like the modern US diesels, German electrics and all the SUV's parked on my block ( including mine ;))

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  9. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

The licence required to use SWR's actual Livery which Yes is Copyright as well as their logo.

Hentis

10. tallboy7648

A yellow line. I wasn't talking about a full livery. If a person needs a license to place a small yellow line then that's the most weird thing to hear.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Good to see an update and new stock for IOW. Why is it that I have no faith that it will be better than before.

The WCL route still badly needs correcting and if I have to pay for it, I will, providing there is evidence that the WCL looks like the real route and not some fantasy amateur attempt like it is at present.

• Like Like x 5
  12. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

In fairness to Rivet, the update to Arosa was good and (like IoW) we don't need to buy the add on to get the improvements so I'm OK with this approach, just not the speed it happens really

• Like Like x 1
  13. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Happy to see a new train.

Will get the route but I hope there is more effort and craftsmanship thats gone into making the route.

• Like Like x 1
  14. antony.henley

Its part of the livery of the train. So if SWR were not happy that it's there on the model then they have every right to say no. Whether you think its right or not.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  15. tallboy7648

Yeh yeh yeh. I know about licensing even if I think it's odd

• Like Like x 1
  16. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

That livery on the 484 is certainly interesting, looks like it was done by a 5 year old... I mean I understand Rivet weren't able to get an SWR license but couldn't they have at least made a better attempt to similarly match it to the actual livery used on the Island Line?

• Like Like x 3
  17. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Well, the original IoW route was NSE (I believe this was a result of being unable to agree a license for the route) so as far as things stand, nothing has changed.

Doesn't look very promising for us to get a proper mainline SWR route though. So that's probably unlikely for the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, there are lots of talented livery designers on the forums, so I hear. They could have had a competition with a small prize ( free dlc?). They would have gotten some nice, colorful liveries then.

• Like Like x 1
  19. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

I’m actually pretty intrigued by the idea of being able to run this route in 2 different eras, kind of like we can do on GWR with Diesel Legends.

• Like Like x 2
  20. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

At least with the creators club someone will sort Rivets amateur attempt.

• Like Like x 4
  21. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

As they don’t have the license, I would assume yes

not sure though how far it will be cracked down upon as some seem to get more of a ban than others

22. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

I just watched the preview video. Can someone confirm whether those brake release sounds are accurate or not, they sound like they've been copied over from the Swiss train.

• Like Like x 2
  23. RailFan97

RailFan97 Active Member

There's more than 10,000 miles of railway in the UK, of which around 1% has been replicated in Train Sim Word. Given we get about three new UK routes a year it's disappointing that it's not a new route.

• Like Like x 4
  24. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Anyone know if there’s a roadmap for the roadmap today ?

25. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Yes there is just delayed

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. antony.henley

The Class 484 is only used on the isle of wright so what are rivett to do?
    Produce the 484 on a non 3rd rail route where people would moan.
    Produce the 484 on the original Isle of Wright route...... where people would moan
    Produce the 484 on an upgraded Isle of wright route which will be released as a free update (the route), where people will moan..... oh wait.
    Produce the 484 for use on the London Underground Bakerloo route?

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  27. tallboy7648

Or just don't make the 484 at all or any dlc. There are some who don't mind not seeing any new dlc from rivet considering how their previous attempts at DLC were not good

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  28. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Class 484 was the D stock London underground District line

• Like Like x 2
  29. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

When is the Road map dropping?

30. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this !

31. antony.henley

But then that would mean you lot wont have anything to moan or split hairs about

• Like Like x 2
  32. tallboy7648

That wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Do you think people just want to split hairs all the time? Rivet's track record speaks for itself. It's not surprising that the community is skeptical of rivet.

• Like Like x 4
  33. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Rivet Games for making an amazing fictional livery… not

• Like Like x 3
  34. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

I wonder if the timetable will be the same, one train every 30 minutes with only 2 trains on the route? I can enjoy doing some turns on IoW if I'm in the right mood, so looking forward to this new DLC. But I would love if DTG added the dynamic weather feature, which would add some variation to those A-B-A-B-A-B runs.

35. ARuscoe

I will admit I would have preferred almost anything other than something for a very very limited use such as this. The only other use is as a class 230 but even then the DLC options are very limited

• Like Like x 3
  36. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

??? Dropping what?

37. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I really feel this is a waste of time and effort by Rivet. Regardless of their ongoing QA issues they should have been looking at something new, not a retread of the shortest most boring route in the game. Given they still haven't fixed the 1938/Class 483 sounds even if I was interested in the 484 I have no faith they will do it justice. It's not a train that can be subbed on any other route, about the only purpose it might serve is a basis for the diesel Class 230 version. IMHO that and something like Bletchley to Bedford should have been their target for a new route.

• Like Like x 5
  38. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Dropping its weekly shopping... What do you think I mean? Dropping onto the forum.

• Like Like x 5
  39. derek#2931

derek#2931 Well-Known Member

300EF7FC-1EB7-4CD4-9077-80742B9F4CC1.jpeg THIS IS WHAT IT WILL LOOK LIKE WHEN IT COMES OUT DONT BE FOOLED!

• Like Like x 6
  40. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

Some people on here just like to be awkward/different.

• Like Like x 2
  41. junior hornet

I don’t know what I thought you meant. That’s why I asked.

42. ARuscoe

Does anyone know if there's Island Line or SWR branding on the stations IRL? Can we assume that because Rivet and DTG don't have license for the train branding that they also don't for any platform branding???

43. SubwayRailfanner

SubwayRailfanner Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  44. junior hornet

The real 484 does sound ”dieselly”, not at all like how that used to sound as district line trains so this might be accurate. There wasn’t enough in the video I saw on the Rivet forum to be certain though. What I didn’t catch, which should be there, is the whining sound as it leaves the station.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Raven2156

Raven2156 Member

I have a very important question!

What if someone already have the Isle of Wight and then buy this "upgraded" route? The old one will be replaced by the new one or we'll have 2 separate IoW routes?

If it will be replaced I guess those who don't want to buy the same route again won't get a free "upgrade" right?

46. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Not so sure about that; the original IOW 483 comes in BR Network Southeast livery instead.

47. rjeeves#3580

rjeeves#3580 Active Member

They have already said it will count as a new route.

48. solicitr

If they reproduce the RL timetable, it's 3 trains an hour; the restored passing loop makes it possible.

49. clemenstrain Nr. 9036

clemenstrain Nr. 9036 Member

Another Roadmap without any information about the upcoming German and US Route. Slowly it gets annoying to look forward to the roadmap every month and then to be so disappointed... Especially the German route has been announced for 3 - 4 months (I don't know exactly) and every time these secrets
    I can't stand it anymore
    But still, rivet's new UK product will be released in mid-July - Rivet has managed to announce its product within a month. At least give us a few hints!

• Like Like x 7
  50. solicitr

"the train features true-to-life physics and audio based on recent recordings taking on the 484’s in real life"

• Like Like x 2