Next Rivet Route Speculation

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by highland beastie, May 20, 2022.

1. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan BUT if it does prove to be a commercial success it will open the possibility of us seeing more routes getting a revised version either historically or more modern.

Still not sure I'm a fan of this approach mind. Would I rather have a new version of X when I could have had Y?

2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

For something on the Isle Of Man I might make an exception. But a remake of IOW seems to me clutching at the low hanging fruit and I have no faith they will do the Class 484 justice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Well, the train looks brilliant- Rivet's 3D vehicle modeling has always been top-drawer. I especially like the keys to open the driver's doors. But whether the route as a whole stands up- Well, if it is good and the price is low enough, I might bite. Luzerne seems to be OK from what I've seen, just short and sleepy.
    -------

• Like Like x 3
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Keep in mind DTG get a veto; if Chatham is planning a 700, they aren't going to let a third party do one.

• Like Like x 4
  5. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

That's a good point. We can only speculate from the outside

6. VictoryWorks

VictoryWorks Well-Known Member

Why would they choose a train that they can't get the rights to the actual livery for?
    Seems an odd decision to me :|

• Like Like x 3
  7. JBViper

JBViper Well-Known Member

The modelling of the Class 484 is superb, as always from Rivet Games.
    I hope the road will be more lively with static UMs, for example.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

I really hope that given this seems to be getting the "High Fives" on tonight's stream, it doesn't mean the barrel is that empty regarding anything else for the UK. The "pause" notwithstanding, there is not even a whisper of anything else for the UK in the pipeline. Please tell me DTG aren't pinning their commercial future for TSW in 2022 on the Rivet equivalent of a remould tyre!

• Like Like x 6
  9. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

A lot of the time in games the building of something is done in parallel to licensing discussions, it is simply a more efficient use of time. This happens in sim racing fairly often too.

So either they were hoping to reach an agreement this time around and didn't manage to, or this add-on (and the add-on for the Swiss route) is being used to provide a return on updating routes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. 5cip

5cip Active Member

so i get this for free when i have IOW ?

11. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Maybe someone tipped them off that if they get the license people would be grumbling about their trains representation

• Like Like x 1
  12. chieflongshin

How did you get that from £14.99 and a free texture upgrade to the old IOW route? :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Why don’t you ask AP and Other 3rd party that question seems the only complaint people can come up with here is the livery which is rather amusing as everyone trying to complain is clearly clutching at straws. Funny thing is you never see people complain that AP screenshots will always show unbranded units and trains hence the branding patch so why do people never jump on those post

• Like Like x 1
  14. redrev1917

Because they arent rivet, and certain sections of the TSW community have nothing but venom for any 3rd party TSW content which isnt TSG. Quite frankly its pathetic.

Yes Im disappointed that this doesnt appeal to me as I was looking forward to some fresh UK content, am I going to throw a hissy fit over it? No.

• Like Like x 5
  15. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

exactly well said as usual one rule for DTg and partners and a separate whole set of rules for all the other certain 3 party’s

16. 5cip

5cip Active Member

idk maybe have read something wrong....... so 14.99€ for the loco but the same short track ?? what is the point to make a new loco without a extended track ?

17. redrev1917

Its an updated track (I'd hope they correctly modelled the additional passing point) along with updated stations etc.

A 8 mile route with just one trainset is not my idea of fun which is why IoW is one of just 2 routes I dont own, but had it been of interest to me I'd think £15 is a fair price especially considering standard loco DLCs are now £15 on epic anyway.

18. redrev1917

Is it just me or did they not show off any working PIS? Just welcome aboard showed outside and in? Surely they have included working PIS? Isnt that like an expected feature?

19. VictoryWorks

Let me do that...

Hey Victory Works, how do you feel as a 3rd party about creating locos with fictional liveries?

Thanks for asking. I'd say that as part of a package if you can't get a specific livery then something close might be acceptable - we did this with the GWR Small Prairies as at the time we didn't have permission to use the London Transport logo. However it was just a logo, the livery was the same and it was only one livery in a a much, much larger pack. Would we produce a loco with a single livery, that was clearly fictional? No, we'd pick another of the hundreds of available locos to build, it's not like there is limited choice.

Oh, interesting. Thanks for answering my question.
    And now back to our regular fanboy'ing where every poor decision is defended relentlessly

• Like Like x 2
  20. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

you just said and I quote “asking. I'd say that as part of a package if you can't get a specific livery then something close might be acceptable”

well that’s exactly what rivet have done and your complaining.

21. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

I find it a nice little route to do if I want a quick train sim fix and it fits that nicely I totally understand your point about the 8 mile single line run though. Will be interesting to see the upgraded route though.

22. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

That’s all I saw as well. I am guessing this is an early WIP show off then done and hopefully it gets “updated” for release.

23. redrev1917

As was clarified on stream, talks between DTG & SWT are still on going, its not a definite no. If the lack of license bothers you, wait until its resolved either way before deciding on to purchase or not.

Its really simple.

Personally I prefer the fictional livery to the real one, although I would prefer the real life one if I was in the mind to purchase.

• Like Like x 3
  24. redrev1917

The road map stream had working PIS so all good on that.

• Like Like x 1
  25. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Well said

26. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Not watched the full roadmap will catch it later always look forward to them. And the detail the go down to

27. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahaha, nice one. You just keep doing what you do in TSC, VW. I have all your GWR BR-WR addons.
    Pure nirvana and excellence.

• Like Like x 2
  28. chieflongshin

i think I might be ill. On the basis I didn’t buy the original train crash I might try and see what this is like. I kept swinging between lurzee and Harlem today but as they both just don’t light my fire I went for the 187 whilst on sale pending fixes and the expansion pack to pad koln.

29. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They can’t extend the track because the route is only that long in real life. Normal loco DLC for other routes is only a couple of Euros cheaper and they don’t come with any track. This has a reworked route which is necessary for this loco as the real route had changes made to it and it should be an improvement on the old version, and the route is included for only a couple of extra Euros than a normal loco DLC.

• Like Like x 3
  30. redrev1917

I do agree that owners of the original should get a discount, but in reality theres probably a million and one reasons why it would be impractical to do it.

31. redrev1917

Its not all that different from paying full price and seeing it discounted in a sale 3 months later, Im always of the mindset that Ive choosen to purchase something at a price at that moment in time because at that moment it fulfilled a want and I was happy at that price point.

32. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Even so doing something like cutting the price of Sherman Hill by 75% is just a bad move from a business perspective no matter how you spin it. There's a very delicate game to play in regards to pricing, and moves like that just don't make sense unless you want to make your product worth less in a very literal sense of the word.

33. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes, I bought the original on release too. I’m not too bothered about it because it was a while ago now. Someone could have just bought the original at full price this morning and that would be gutting, like when I bought the Class 52 for WSR just to complete my collection of UK locos only a couple of days before Diesel Legends was announced where I could get to drive it faster if I bought another version of it. I cried a little then bought DLOTGW. I guess they are just trying to cater for those who wanted the new train as a loco DLC and entice new buyers for the route with their middling price point but it isn’t a great look that an updated and improved route is cheaper than one that people have already bought.

• Like Like x 1
  34. VictoryWorks

Is English not your first language? I do apologise. I'll make my 3rd party opinion clearer.
    If there are half a dozen liveries and variants in your single product package and one of the more obscure ones for that loco class has to be fictional due to licensing, well it's not perfect but it's not the end of the world. If your one and only livery is made up.. choose another loco to build. There are LOTS to choose from ;)

• Like Like x 1
  35. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

English is my first language yes and I find that extremely rude in the tone you asked that.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  36. VictoryWorks

As rude as deliberately cutting out 1 line from my entire statement so you could totally misrepresent what I said?

• Like Like x 2
  37. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

i fail to see how i misrespresented what you said but lets break it down then shall we.

point 1: you said. I'd say that as part of a package if you can't get a specific livery then something close might be acceptable
    so in the current release statement we have seen rivet have done just that made a close representation of the real worl livery.

point 2: you said:
    Would we produce a loco with a single livery, that was clearly fictional? No, we'd pick another of the hundreds of available locos to build, it's not like there is limited choice.
    Sadly there is not another hundreds of available liveries to choose from or stock the island line runs one stock and one livery. So what do you expect them to do then ??????
    The Island line is rivets route they have updated it to modern day standards it appears giving the stock coming with this pack so i would be interested to hear what you would do different as your a developer yourself.

Not arguing with you you do make some valid points granted. Just interested in hearinf how yourself as a developer would do things if it was your route and you wanted to "upgrade it".

38. VictoryWorks

Again, the one sentence you've repeated out of context is the issue - I do say in it "as part of a package" but you ignored my further explanation of what I actually mean by that, and I quite clearly state
    what I mean in the next sentence and have further expanded that in my second reply - I'd say it was ok if it's one less common livery out of MANY in the package - NOT the ONLY livery in the package.

In answer to what I would do if I wanted to update my previous route to it's modern appearance.. if I couldn't provide the one single item of rolling stock as it appears in real life, I'd say "Oh, that's a shame, I'll do something else"
    There are locos I'd like to build for TSC that have such a limited appeal that they aren't commercially viable. You have to make business decisions based on more than feelings and desires.

• Like Like x 2
  39. OldVern

I think Rivet might have garnered a better reception if they’d simply done a set of the older VEC TIS units, aka the old LT Standard tube stock which served the island from 1967 prior to arrival of the 1938 stock. They would also have been able to reskin and do a set for the Bakerloo Line, too.

Or better still go full retro and do the entire Island network as it was in steam days, Ventnor West hmmmmm (cue Homer Simpson drool).

• Like Like x 5
  40. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

Isle of Wight Network V7 is one of my favourite routes in TS Classic. Even with the odd visual glitch, it's till a fun route to explore.. I'd love to see that bought in to TSW2.

• Like Like x 2
  41. redrev1917

Out of interest if you was well invested in a project under the assumption that you either had a licence or would get one then it turned out for what ever reason that licence was no longer available, would you shelve the project and write off your investment or carry on to try and recover the money laid out?

• Like Like x 2
  42. VictoryWorks

In that circumstance I'd be forced to continue it (we have to eat and pay the bills).. but I tend not to make assumptions on something I would consider so critical so I don't end up in that position :)

• Like Like x 1
  43. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

They’d of had a better reception if they’d of chosen any other route, IoW simply isn’t very popular. In my opinion the fact that it’s Modern is probably one of the main reasons it will sell.

I think even an Allegra on Arosa would of been better received, but we just have so many routes in TSW that are crying out for loco DLC’s, so it’s a shame that IoW got the attention.

Of course the fact that Rivet dared to make content is to their detriment, the 700 is probably the most popular request at the moment, but If Rivet were to make it then the forum would be awash with how terrible it is that Rivet are making the 700.

Personally I am always interested to see what Rivet come up with, for all their issues, they are making content that is different to the usual cut and paste that DTG like to give us (SoS excluded of course), however their decision to go with an unpopular route & train, that they couldn’t get licensing for and also looking like they struggled with sounds, is a bit confounding.

• Like Like x 2
  44. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

If they had any sense they would have released that less than stellar emu in plain aluminium. The same as the LT R stock.

45. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

As usual I don’t know why people are so concerned as to what Rivet are / aren’t producing;

The usual suspects already said they would never buy another Rivet product after Arosa Line, oh sorry, after West Cornwall Line, oh wait sorry, after Luzern-Sursee. And the exact same will happen here, we’ve only seen a short video so far, they will say I’m not buying another Rivet product, buy it, hate it, same again, rinse and repeat.

I for one, I’m looking forward to it, I think it’s a quick win, nice easy DLC to keep us interested in UK content. I like the look of the 484 and an upgraded IOW with TPWS, Brading loop, what’s not to love?! It’s very topical within the enthusiast community having only reopened last year, I think it’s a really good choice.

• Like Like x 4
  46. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Congrats to Rivet for stepping up their game and finally going the DTG way!
    Recycling is the future, be it for waste, locos or routes.

• Like Like x 1