Horseshoe Curve - Definitive Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

From pictures I have seen online 5 digits for NS coal cars.

2. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

NS hoppers have both 5 and 6 digit reporting marks, depending on age, though it should be the same in all locations on the car. Just spend some time watching the HSC cam and you can see this. The black ones tend to be 6 digit. CSXT hoppers have also gotten into the 6 digit range. With the number of hoppers in the fleet, you run out of 5 digit numbers.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I think the issue is having different numbers on the same car.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I think if HSC had both 5 and 6 digit range hoppers, where the numbers would be correct (the same around the whole car), people would appreciate the detail :)

5. Sharon E

What I am seeing on most hoppers that I looked at is, the end numbers are correct, but the side numbers leave off the last digit. The number should be spaced with 3 digits in each of the bays, but Skyhook only has 2 in the left bay and 3 in the right. I bet that leads to truncation of the final digit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

Yeah, thats what caught my eye.

In the first patch they fixed a spot on the main line where grass was going across the tracks, there is another spot on the South Branch line that has the same issue. At this location :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another thing I noticed today is some of the upper containers on the intermodal cars are floating. Cars with two long containers or a short container on top of a long look fine but cars with two short containers or a long on top of a short are showing some levitation. I checked a couple different intermodal services and they showed the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DW

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sharon E

Gee, that gives the South Fork branch a real branch line look. ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  8. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

yes it really does, hopefully they leave it in

• Like Like x 3
  9. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Well ok, a main line should be free of grass, but this branch looks just atmospheric with that grass on it. I hope they are not gonna change that.

Same with cane creek, it lets you convince to actually be in that wide open desert on a uranium ride during sunset.

Even if the grass on tracks might be a bug, skyhooks horseshoe curve is a big enjoyment for me to drive on.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

So perhaps some scattered weed growth would be apropos but thats quite the meadow.

Need a brush cutter attachment on the front of that ES44AC.

"Objective Complete : Mow the weeds. +250AP"

DW

• Like Like x 4
  11. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Well, Skyhook did make Lawnmower Simulator...

• Like Like x 2
  12. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

That grass looks quite atmospheric!
    Whether true to life or not is another matter. Where it rankles a bit is on routes like SEHS or ECW. Makes you wonder at what sort of play testing went on and is the UE4 editor so complex that what would take 30 seconds to accomplish in the Trainz, TSC or even MSTS editors places such simple snagging out of reach once the route is baked.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I'm curious about these switches in the ES44AC.

On the back wall there is this switch that says Crosswalk Lights.
    [​IMG]

Then on the control stand there is another switch that says Crosswalk Lights when you mouse over it.
    [​IMG]

They both have to be set to On to get the little circular lights on the walkways at the nose and tail to come on.

But the light below the switch on the control stand says Crossing Lights. The label above with the arrow pointing to that switch refers to three settings, up for flashing, center off and down for on. That almost sounds like a control for flashing ditch lights?

DW

• Like Like x 1
  14. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

The back panel are breakers not switches. A bit like you have a trip or breaker in your fuse box in your home for your lights plus a light switch to actually turn the lights on and off in a room. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Not so for that specific switch on the back panel. That is a regular switch. The "crossing lights" switch is indeed most likely supposed to make the ditch lights flash. That is common on GE locomotives equipped with flashing lights, however from what I've seen Skyhook has not implemented them for the ES44AC.

Cheers

16. meridian#2659

While the ES44DC has a different operator desk (depends on the configuration), the Switch Panel on the back looks pretty the same. Its written in the Manual (File attached)

ES44DC.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. meridian#2659

ES44DC_Switch Panel.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

I found it interesting that I'm supposed to have four locomotives, 60 loads, and two rear dpu helpers.

Actually, I have four locomotives up front, 30 loads, and no helpers... Other than that scenario works just fine for me

19. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Which service use the flatcar?

20. Sharon E

What service is this, it sounds like a console setup no one for PC or second gen consoles

21. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I'm still tempted by this route but not sure how much needs ironing out still

22. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

If you’ve waited till now i think I’d just wait a little while longer till it’s in a sale.

• Like Like x 1
  23. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

(Xbox) Scenario: Does wet coal burn

24. Sharon E

DTG told us in the steam introducing HSC that earlier consoles would get shorter trains due to the limitation of the system in them.

25. chieflongshin

Well I picked this up today with a fiver off and so far I'm liking it. Feels a bit better than some of other routes. I like the train factoids and the short and sweet tutorials. Not scratched too far into it yet but some of the things sound better. I picked up on some track noise. I did notice though that notch 5 and notch 8 on the 44 going up the grade sound identical. I'd have hope to have heard the sound/engine load up and labour more. I shall report more as happen across it.

26. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Is
    Is that the Gevo? I can't remember if it was here or discussing the Run 8 version that the engine note doesn't change between the higher notches.

27. chieflongshin

Thats the one. Its like one of those weird Lexus with no gears where it just sits at a constant whine with no indication of loads or revs.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  28. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

The GEVO does that in real life.
    The GEVO prime mover reaches it's max operating RPM on Notch 4-8 @ 990 RPM. Sometimes, depending on the train weight and grade, the RPM boosted to 1050 RPM @ Notch 8 in low speed condition only.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

How does it then produce more power if the RPMs stay constant? Does something change in the generator?

30. solicitr

Yes. It is equivalent to what in older locos would have been a serial-parallel circuit transition, but in modern engines is computer-controlled. Diesels don't like being run over a wide RPM range.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Heat engines have a power band. The benefit of petrol-electric or diesel-electric is that the heat engines can maintain optimal RPMs for power output while the electronics can change things like torque and efficiency.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  32. chieflongshin

I'd like to compliment skyhook on their voiceover and scenario narratives too. They felt more personal. Almost like a work colleague was talking to you rather than "formal communication " narrative. Picking up your hard hat, coffee etc were nice unexpected touches(excuses) to wander the yard a bit.
    We just need more personnel behind stations

• Like Like x 3
  33. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I had the same thoughts initially about the ES44AC sounds. Even after reading explanations like those above I still find it hard to get used to. I always think I'm idling even labouring up a grade.

Is there anything missing from the ES44AC sounds? I thought some people mentioned something about traction motor or turbocharger noises?

DW

34. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

It is missing the traction motor whining sound.
    Example video :

35. Anthony Pecoraro

There is an excellent mod on TSC.

• Like Like x 1
  36. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

Ah ok. Thats an interesting video, the stock sound of the prime mover sounds pretty close. I see what you mean about that buzzing whine sound, its really pronounced on the trains going at a faster speed. I hope they will tweak the audio and add that in a future patch, especially if its something that changes pitch and tone with the throttle setting.

Yeah I've been going back and forth between the HSC sound mods and stock, not sure I've heard anything like that whine with the mods though.

Few things I noticed about the alerter and alerter reset button on the ES44AC :

When you press the alerter reset button only the outer edge of the button depresses, the center "peg" stays sticking out.

[​IMG]

Should the button actually be like that or this an animation glitch?

Also the sound of the button depressing is often absent. It comes and goes but more often than not the click noise doesn't play.

Lastly when you manipulate the dynamic brake lever, the alerter timer does not reset. Is that correct? I thought any throttle/brake/dynamic/horn usage was supposed to reset the alerter?

DW

37. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

Has anyone else gotten any odd spikes in their speed under dynamic braking on HSC?

I was exiting the single track tunnel at Gallitzin heading for Altoona today when my speed shot way up for just a split second, the HUD speedometer went way into the red. I took a screenshot of the menu after it happened and didn't think much of it but a couple of minutes later it did it again and derailed the train. In fact it shot the second locomotive and some cars into the sky from what I could see before the scenario ended. I restarted from the last checkpoint and made it down to Altoona but it spiked twice more on the way, though not enough to derail.

As you can see when the speed shoots up it creates this lower case cursive L looking pattern.

[​IMG]

It looks more dramatic on the end of service screen.

[​IMG]

Not sure I've seen this before. Is this a common issue with HSC or the game in general?

DW

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Did you happen to notice a push or leap forward as these spikes happened? Tagging FD1003 just in case - call me paranoid but this could line up with some other recent problems.

• Like Like x 2
  39. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yeah it might just be confirmation bias but I've noticed a lot of odd derailments and jerky trains reported since the 30.05 update.

• Like Like x 1
  40. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

The last time it happened I was in an external view at the time and I did indeed notice the train visually move forward when the spike hit.

DW

41. chieflongshin

I had the dlc train which was made on Sandpatch the other day (two units, can’t remember name of top of my head) and with a 1700t train I stopped it from 30mph mph in little over 100yds. Also it was like a greyhound accelerating. Physics always seem dialled up with that train to me compared to others

42. Anthony Pecoraro

The air brake does work.

43. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I had another derailment between Horseshoe Curve and Altoona today. I had a couple surges just before it happened so I was anticipating a derailment and was quick on the screenshot key. It appears it blew my entire load of intermodal cars into the sky!

[​IMG]

DW

44. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Those same-day deliveries going wild in Pennsylvania :D

• Like Like x 2
  45. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Not what I had in mind when Amazon talked about drone deliveries :D

46. solicitr

I'm pretty sure that this behavior - a core problem, versions of it reported on Sand Patch, SoS, MSB and Cane Creek as well - is a change to the buffer (or buffered coupler) physics which gives them excessive springback after compression. This certainly would explain the "surge" described here.

• Like Like x 1
  47. chieflongshin

The trains jump together too sometimes when connecting