PC Looking To Build A New Computer For Tsw2/tsc

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by malikrthr, Jul 10, 2022.

1. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I am currently looking for advice/opinions on possible system builds, I am currently in the process of looking to upgrade my computer system by the end of 2022 as I have had my computer for almost 10 years now. As it approaches this point, I would like to see smooth performance at 60fps or greater with no stutters in gameplay. I would also like to set my graphics settings set to max at 1080p/1440p with no loss in performance. Along with playing TSW2 and Train Simulator, I also use this computer for work/video editing and American Truck Simulator/Euro Truck Simulator. Currently, I run TSW2. Often at times, when I play TSW2 at the highest graphics settings, I see somewhere between 18-30fps with stutters and/or frame freezes and audio lags every few seconds.

After doing some research on current processors, I found a few processors that may be great for smooth gameplay and performance. My current budget for building a new computer system is $1200 or less. I would like to build a system that offers the most value for the performance while also having room for some upgrades /future proofing. Below are some processors that I have been looking at lately and trying to weight out the pros and cons of each.

- Intel Core i7 12700k
    - Intel Core i5 12600k
    - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D

From what I can tell, the above processors appear to be good for what I am trying to achieve. The Core i5 12600K may be good value for the money as it comes close to the core i7 12700k in terms of fps. These 12th gen Intel processors are compatible with both DDR4 and DDR5 memory, which means there may be room for a mid-life upgrade in a few years if I was to go this route. I would go for a motherboard that supports DDR4 RAM for now as DDR5 memory is very expensive and outside of my budget range. Later on, once the price drops, I can look into a midlife upgrade to a motherboard that supports DDR5 RAM, which may further increase my performance from the 12th gen Intel processors.

As for an AMD, the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D seems to be a great processor under the Zen 3 architecture as it offers 96MB of L3 cache, which would not be found on other mainstream processors. With this amount of cache, it has similar or even better performance than a Ryzen 9 5000 series processor. I am sure TSW2 and TSC would run flawlessly under this processor. The only thing is, there is no room for upgrades in the future as AM5 is right around the corner. AM4 is approaching EOL. AM5 for now will be supporting DDR5 only but there are some rumors that there may be some Zen4 Ryzen 7000 processors coming out soon that may support DDR4 RAM and the AM4 architecture. If this rumor is true, it is unknown how much longer AM4 will be supported.

For playing both TSW and Train Simulator Classic, which processor would be the best option for playing at either 1080p or 1440p max settings. I currently also have a GTX1060SSC 6GB but may look into a new graphics card for when I build a new computer. Below are the current specs that I run TSW2 and Train Simulator Classic.

My current specs

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @3.4Ghz (2009)
    GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX1060 SSC 6GB (2016)
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX case (2012)
    RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance @ 1366Mhz in Dual Channel configuration (2012)
    PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W Modular Power supply (2016)
    Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D ATX Midtower (2015)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  2. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Futureproofing is tricky, because there's always some new tech just around the corner worth waiting for, except in the end it may have been worth it or not. Do the best you can now with your budget now, and don't sweat what you can't control.

GPU prices are dropping, but still high, so my suggestion would be to start there and then let your remaining budget dictate the rest of your system. You're also going to need a new motherboard and RAM at the very least. Your PSU certainly looks like overkill even today, so if you can keep that and your case, that'll help. You will want good airflow and cooling. I'm still using a nearly 15 year old case currently on its fourth system, but it has six fan mounts, all populated, which lets me run my AMD 3700X with the stock cooler just as well as the old Intel 870 I originally bought it for.

3. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

my new pc
    CPU:i9 12900k +ASUS ROG Ryujin II 360
    GPU: GTX 1080TI SLI
    RAM 32GB Kingston FURY Beast 32GB DDR5 6000MHz
    PSU:ROG-THOR-1200P2-GAMING
    Mobo:ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
    Case:ANTEC 700
    SSD Samsung 2TB 980 PRO NVME M.2 PCIE 4.0 SSD

4. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Even with a beast machine, you might not be able to get 60fps all the time. in tsc, your fps might drop to 30 in certain areas. Some routes are very poorly optimized so low fps, performance.

Even in tsw2 For some routes, you might not be able to get 60fps especially on rush hour routes such as london commuter (cuz of all the ai traffic and stuff), riesa dresden, etc

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  5. wcwood92

wcwood92 Well-Known Member

I recently got a prebuilt PowerSpec from Micro Center and I love it. Price was reasonable given the graphics card situation
    If you’re curious on the specifics it’s the PowerSpec G509. It’s since been discontinued, but you should be able to find it on their site.
    I paid $1,500 when it was on sale.

6. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

for me i be looking at upgrading my pc in future. my current pc specs is quad cord i7 4770k cpu, 16gb ddr3 ram, evga 2060 super gpu, 1tb ssd.
    for new pc i'll be looking at raptor lake cpu 13700k, ddr 5 ram. pcie5.0 gpu support and if it out pcie 5.0 speed nvme storages. if not then pcie 4.0 nvme support. future proof for while.

7. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

My recommendation would be to budget down on the processor a little bit. Think about an i5-12600K rather than an i7/i9. They can be much cheaper, still come with lots of cores, and are also standout in gaming. Unlike the R7 5800X3D on AM4, LGA1700 does have an upgrade path both for the next generation of CPUs (Raptor Lake) and DDR5. Then, take those savings from your CPU and put that towards buying the best GPU you can afford. I use an RTX 3080 at 3440x1440 resolution and it works brilliantly, still with some headroom for demanding Engine.ini tweaks. The best value GPU in my opinion (if you can find one at or below MSRP) is the RTX 3060ti which should handle TSW at 1440p max settings so long as you don't go crazy with the Engine.ini tweaks.

I would also caution against using that PSU for much longer if it really has been in use for a decade. They don't last forever and when they go out, they can easily take other (expensive) components with them. If you can afford to, a nice modular 750W power supply is all you'll need unless you plan on seriously overclocking both your CPU and GPU.

Cheers

8. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

I have just built a new PC after grabbing a founders edition 3060ti for msrp direct from Nvidia.
    I5-12400, MSI Z-690 MB, 16gb ram, 750w power supply. Plays TSW2 at 1440p, ultra settings, with AA on. Able to keep 60fps comfortably. (Except the poorly optimized bits)
    Could have saved money on a budget MB, as no plans to overclock, but got a good price.

9. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I bought this computer 1.5 years ago and it still runs TSW2 well. Most of the time see fps over 60 except when the system dumps stuff and then it can fall to 20.
    Intel Core i9-9900 @ 3.60 GHz
    32.0 GB installed RAM
    1 TB SSD HD (TSW2 installed on this drive)
    4 TB drive
    Video
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    8 MB GDDR6 memory

10. The 12600kf is slightly cheaper than the k also it can be cooled with conventional air cooler whereas the i7/i9 require a more expensive liquid cooling system, especially when paired with a 3070 or equivalent.

There's talk of nvidia launching rtx 4xxx series in the near future, with the 4070 priced around the 500 mark boasting the performance of the current 3080 priced over a $1000.

Also with amd's zen4 just around the corner I wouldn't rush into buying anything just yet.

11. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

even the most powerful computer in the world would not stop the micro stutters that TSW2 suffers from,

• Like Like x 3
  12. Callum B.

This is important to keep in mind as well. Thankfully, geloxo has helped me reduce most of my micro stuttering, but you can still experience macro stutter in dense areas like Dresden or Liverpool just due to the nature of tile loading.

Cheers

13. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Callum, it was noted by Matt in a Q and A thread some time ago that most of the stuttering we experience is not from loading but the process of offloading stuff from memory that has been used.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. fanta1682002

i wait GPU rtx 4090

15. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

I got a All in One, not the best for TSW2 because whats in it stays in it.. but it has a
    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz bit old now...
    16 gig Ram.
    Play scenarios at the 15fps in built up areas with high graphics settings, country the fps goes into green, Im happy with it...

16. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Last year, I realized that the only way to get a high-end graphics card for a reasonable price was to buy it as part of a new system.
    So I bought a machine with a good processor, 32 GB of memory, plenty of SSD storage, high wattage PSU and, most importantly, an RTX 3080. These components allow me to run TSW at a consistent 60 fps in 4k at ultra/high settings ( or faster at 1440p ). I also think this PC is about 5 years future proofed, but who knows for sure?

17. I dunno. With a few tweaks here and there I've managed to almost get rid of the stutters on most routes. It's not perfect but a hell of a lot better than it was! That's @1080 though. 4k on the other hand is dreadful. Then a lot of the textures in tsw I belive aren't true 4k textures! What's the deal with 1440?

18. countcussy

countcussy Well-Known Member

I have only just moved to 1440, having been at 1080p for what seems like forever.
    At 1440, I generally get really good performance. Even at Ultra with TAA on. If remove the 60fps limit, some areas of the game and routes comfortably get into three figures. If I max the FPS to 60, my gpu sits in the 50-80% utilization range. Which at the moment is good for temps !! - I actually get better performance now than when I had a 1080p monitor and used the scaling feature.
    Its noticeable, by using some monitoring software, that the fps drops around London on BML and other areas, do not seem to be hardware related. I could understand it if the GPU/CPU were nearly maxed out, but they are not.
    I find it interesting that the tile loading issue, is so very similar to the dip you get for an in game acknowledgment.
    Eg. Arrive at a platform early. Load passengers, close doors. FPS sat at constant 60 (Locked FPS), even when another train goes past.
    When the passenger circle goes from yellow to green, and the game gives the next destination, there is a momentary drop in FPS, sometime really significantly. If you do a run, and your destination is "Go Via Location", as you go through the location, and your destination changes, there is an FPS hit. It does not make sense.
    Also worth noting, that even at 1440p, Ultra settings, TAA on, My basic I5-12400 never utilizes at more than 50%.
    I feel that this game has so much more to give, performance wise.

Knowing I have got some headroom, I would be interested in you INI tweaks.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  19. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

On the engine.ini thread there are some excellent tweaks that help with that problem by essentially rewriting the flush routine. I still get stutters, but far, far fewer than before.

20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

BTW, if you aren't playing on a 42-inch monitor, 4k is really a waste of money and processor power. In fact, I'm not sure there are many 4k monitors/TVs smaller than that

21. Crosstie

Sorry, but that just isn't true. The sweet spot for 4k monitors is generally acknowledged to be 32", which is what I have. Even 27" is good for high res displays.
    Now, if you're talking TV sizes, 55" and up is recommended for 4k because watching movies and shows is a different activity than playing games etc on a computer.
    Of course, if you're using your dual purpose TV with a console, larger screen sizes make sense.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. malikrthr

Hi everyone, thank you for the suggestions. I really appreciate the advice. Here is my take based on the provided suggestions.

Calidore266: For my case, it was given to me for free from someone that was going to throw it away because the motors in one of the case fans were not working. To resolve the issue, I replaced the default fan for a quiet 140mm fan case fan. I decided to use this Corsair Obsidian 650D case when I performed a mid computer life upgrade, but in doing so, I did not realize that the front USB 3.0 port was not fully working. Currently, the screw for my top case fan is stripped as well. I shorted the rear USB ports for my current motherboard by inserting an old USB 2.0 flash drive so ever since, my system at various points may have USB shorts/restart issues. I would definitely like to hold onto the PSU. While this PSU may be overkill, I have had it for 6 years. It has a 10 year lifetime warranty. I am wondering how much longer my PSU will last. Would it be wise to re-use it in a new build since it is a few years old or would it be okay to use for another 5-6 years as it is 80+ Gold certified? Part of me is thinking of going for a new ATX mid tower or micro ATX PC case. I would like a smaller system that is ligher in weight, since my ATX mid tower case takes up a decent chunk of space in my case. The drawback to using a microATX case is that I would be limited to how much I can store inside the case and the system may run a bit warmer, I am assuming this is because the components are more closely packed.

CallumB: That sounds like a great CPU recommendation. While the Intel Core i5 is considered to be Intel's middle of the road processor, it’s specs appear to be better than 9th and/or 10th generation core i7 processors in terms of performance and efficiency. I definitely would like to use a processor that has an upgrade path so I can do system upgrades later down the line if necessary. Currently, if I get the i5 12600KF, I can do a mid system upgrade later down the line (approximately 3-4 years) where I can possibly upgrade the system to a DDR5 motherboard with DDR5 RAM. Right now, I would consider getting a DDR4 motherboard with RAM that has a low Cas Latency and high clock speed. At this point in time, DDR5 RAM is very expensive and the cheaper ones would offer the lowest speed of DDR5.

CountCussy: Great find and it’s good to know that your system is able to run 60fps at ultra settings in most instances. I also wouldn’t really mess around with overclocking. I tried it once on my AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor. My Hyper 212 Evo assisted with cooling the processor. It was stable at 3.7Ghz overclock but anything past that, I would begin to experience system lockups and reboots. Ever since then, I don’t overclock the CPU. Hopefully at some point the devs can identify those issues for TSW2 and work on fixing it so that way those fps drops don’t occur.

SharonE: Those are great specs you have. I also plan to have a dedicated drive for TSW2/Train Simulator Classic. I was thinking of getting a 2TB NVME for the OS, 1TB NVME for TSW2/Train Simulator Classic, and a 2TB SSHD drive for storage and everything else

DangerousDave: Great suggestion. I would look for the core i5 12600KF. Since I am going to upgrade my graphics card, I can always hold onto the GTX1060 SSC as a backup GPU incase something goes wrong with the new graphics card. I hope when the RTX 4xxx series cards releases, the prices don’t increase. Lately, it seems the prices of GPU’s have slowly but surely began to drop. When Zen 4 releases, lets see if they develop processors for the AM4 architecture, but if it’s only AM5, I would consider going the intel route as the motherboards that support DDR5, and the slowest DDR5 RAM sticks are currently very expensive. Btw, how did you tweak TSW2 to get rid of most of the microstutters. From my gameplay so far, TSW2 has higher fps than Train Simulator Classic in most cases but stutters much more which can be very annoying when playing a route. So far, I play @ 1920x1080 and find it to be a perfectly crisp and sharp resolution.

Gazz292: Definitely agreed, part of it also comes down to how optimized the simulator is.

Solicitr: I would also be interested in the engine.ini tweaks with the hopes of optimizing gameplay performance as much as possible. I would make a backup of the original engine.ini file incase something goes wrong during the modification process.

23. Calidore266

malikrthr Just to be clear, the power supply being overkill is a good thing. Plus, EVGA is a good brand, and 1000w should let you use even the latest high-end Intel room heater and newest-gen GPU without a problem if you were to go that way. The components in PSUs will die eventually, but hopefully you'll have plenty of life in that one yet. It's not like your current setup has been taxing it at all. As long everything is working, there's no reason to replace it.

As far as case, for myself I prefer a big mid-tower with plenty of space for cables and airflow and plenty of fan mounts. In addition, current GPUs are big and heavy. Would your current GPU or a replacement even fit in a micro ATX case? (And would the PSU for that matter?) And then, are you sure everything else would fit? Especially if you also need liquid cooling for your new CPU? And even if it does, would the space you gain on the outside benefit you in proportion to the increased heat and hassle of the cramped inside? Whether you get a new case at all, of course, depends on your tolerance for those current glitches you mentioned. The rear USB port problem will of course be fixed with the new motherboard.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

The reason bigger TVs are recommended has nothing to do with movies inherently not benefiting from them as much like you seem to be implying. Keep in mind, there was no hard limit to resolution back when everything was made on film, so even films like the original Star Wars when properly scanned will actually net you true 4K picture despite how old it is.

Really it just boils down to the fact most people are way further back from their TV than their computer monitor. You're not gonna notice the difference with even a massive 4K TV if you're 50 feet back and having to squint just to get a look at it. On the other hand 4K on even a small phone display can be a benefit since you're holding it so close to your face.

25. I've found the ini tweaks seem to be quite dependent from one system to the next. For example ini tweaks on one machine will normally not work well on another. It's just a case of sitting down for and hour or 2 changing settings until you hit a sweet spot.

26. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

My advice: send money on a good power supply, good cooling fans and a silent case. Also make sure you get a fast SSD with loads of capacity, 2Tb is fine for now and you may consider to have a 1 Tb disk for the OS in addition. I use Samsung SSDs. With other brands I had a lot of trouble, Samsung is fast and very reliable.

The reason for my advice to have a better balance between stability and performance. It depends a lot on your budget, but it is good to reserve some money for quality.

27. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

and then the .ini tweaks work per DLC, i managed to get one of my DLC's running pretty much butter smooth, started a different route up and it was a slide show at 5fps,

i kinda gave up after that and just run stock for now, having to treat every DLC as a seperate game is the only way to do it, so that means being able to load different .ini settings for each DLC you own, and 2+hours tweaking for every DLC.

28. Changing settings in the ini file has somewhat helped. But it's not a case of just copying someone else's tweaks as performance varies on different machines.

The 2 main problems I found with stuttering are having a active Internet connection. And memory. I opted to stay with ddr4 when upgrading because there's a lot more choice. I went for corsair vengeance pro 3600 with tight timings after trying crucial ballistix 3600 and and patriot viper 3600. The corsair memory threw a hell of a lot less errors.

Other things like resizable bar makes a difference. Although it takes a bit of messing around to get tsw2 to make use of it. I've not seen any gain in frame rate but it's how the frames are delivered in tsw that I'm interested in, as tsw sucks at it.

Gui get rid of it! I've never known gui to affect any games like it affects tsw. Although it has got better recently.

I think 1080 is a sweet spot for tsw. With everything on ultra settings, I see frame rates anywhere between 80-100 or more fps. Capped at 60 it stays at 60.

1440 I haven't gone there yet and 2160 is a waste of time. On a 43" display the textures in tsw are no where near 4k quality when compared to other games!
    And where other titles I get a frame rates in the low 30s and looking rather smooth tsw on the other hand is showing 60fps but looking more like 10fps!

29. One thing I will add when going for a drive is make sure it is a nvme drive and not a pci-e ssd. There's quite a difference in performance. And of course you want the drive in Northbridge in the cpu lanes and not in southbridge.

30. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Personally I don't think now is a good time to upgrade your computer, I think next year is a good time to upgrade. First, AMD and Intel will launch new processors in the second half of the year, AMD and NVIDIA will also release new GPUs in the second half of the year, and DDR5 is cutting prices.
    I personally prefer the following hardware:
    Processor: I5 13400F
    Motherboard: ASUS 760
    Graphics Card: 4060 or 4060TI

31. malikrthr

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree, the PSU could come in handy to use for a new system. To have 1000W sitting and gathering dust while it has life left would be a waste. Utilizing my current PSU in a way would help me to dedicate some of my budget for more powerful components. I can always use a multimeter to test to see if it goes below is receiving an approximate 12 volts. If it goes below 11.2 volts though, that is an indication to begin looking for a replacement.

I have never looked into liquid cooling. I may check for a decent air cooler if the core i5 2600kf doesn't come with an air cooler.

I may look into a new case for my future build. When I received my case, one of the front USB 3.0 ports was defective on the USB front case panel. If I were to reuse the case, I would need to see how to replace the front USB case header along with the gromets for the top case fan

32. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Please help! Assembled a new system performance sufficient for 4K!
    I planned to purchase a 4-k monitor 32 "MSI Optix MPG321UR-QD IPS 3840x2160 144 Hz 1 ms HDR60, but it has not been on sale for a long time and it is not known when it will arrive.

I have a choice:
    1. 2K monitor MSI Optix MPG321QRF-QD 32" IPS 2560x1440 (16:9) 175Hz;
    2. 4K monitor MSI Optix MAG281URF 27.9" IPS 3840x2160 (16:9) 144Hz;
    3. 4K monitor MSI Optix MAG281URV 27.9" IPS 3840x2160 (16:9) 60Hz;
    4. MSI Optix MAG321CURV 4K Monitor 32" *VA 3840x2160 (16:9) 60Hz.
    5. wait for the MSI Optix MPG321UR-QD to go on sale

What can you recommend for TSW? Is a 2K picture significantly different from 4K?

I would appreciate advice and help. Thank you!

33. fanta1682002

4K monitor MSI Optix MAG281URF 27.9" IPS 3840x2160 (16:9) 144Hz?
    i9 13900k+z690+rtx4090+ddr5

34. uvm0902

Intel Core i7-12700K+MSI MPG Z690 Carbon Wi-Fi +MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM 8192MB+G.Skill DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) 6000Mhz Trident Z5 Black+MSI SPATIUM M480 HS 3D NAND 2TB M.2 (2280 PCI-E) NVMe 1.4 (with the prospect of switching to RTX4070)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  35. fanta1682002

i new pc i9 12900k+Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO+asus rog ryujin ii 360+Samsung 2TB 980 PRO NVME M.2 PCIE 4.0 SSD (MZ-V8P2T0BW)+Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) RGB 記憶體 6000MHz KF552C40BBAK2-32+GTX1080TI+ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II

36. fanta1682002

wait RTX 4090

37. uvm0902

You certainly helped me in my choice!

38. malikrthr

I have been doing some more research on PC components lkately and almost have a finalized list but may make some more changes between now and Black Friday. It looks like the final build may be somewhere around $2,500. I definitely hope to get some Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals to reduce the final price.

Out of curiousity, I have been looking into some of the Radeon GPU's as well. Would TSW benefit from having more VRAM or would the core clock, core count for CUDA cores/Compute Units matter? What have people's experiences been so far with TSC/TSW using Radeon GPU's. I see some NVIDIA GPU's like the RTX3060 have 12GB of VRAM while the 3060Ti, 3070 have 8GB of VRAM. Also, cards like the Radeon RX6700XT and RX6800XT have 12GB-16GB of VRAM. I ask this because I am looking to mainly run @ 1080p with a solid 60fps, raising all the graphic details to Ultra and Screen to 200%. Now that TSW3 has released, I notice my TSW2 routes mainly run decent but the TSW3 routes with the new dynamic clouds and lighting improvements bring my system very low FPS. I would definitely like to run the new TSW3 routes with max graphics settings at ultra settings.

39. Callum B.

Get an Nvidia card, don't get a Radeon card for TSW3.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  40. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

you could buy a NASA supercomputer and TSW world still stutter. It's not the hardware that's the problem, it's the poor programming

• Like Like x 1
  41. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Just had an rtx 3080ti delivered alongside 32GB of 3600Mhz ram, I'm running a western digital sn850 nvme, ryzen 5 3600x (which doesn't bottleneck the gpu), all components that one way or another affect gaming performance. Not to mention adequate cooling for all components. Aaaaand as has been said already, stuttering is still a thing, and I was running cajon in the snow yesterday and experienced frame drops. I run at 4k60fps max settings, but my PC should handle it, as it does every other game I own. So build your pc according to other games you play, because if you spec it to run tsw perfectly you're going to be trying forever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Never build a PC for a terrible optimized game like TSW2 or TSW3.

Build a PC for games like MSFS or the newest AAA shooter. TSW will always run mediocre or bad and stutter since there is a fundamental problem with the engine or DTGs version of the engine

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  43. malikrthr

I just saw Intel just revealed their new ARC series GPU's. So far, the Intel ARC A770 GPU looks like a good deal. It appears to hover somewhere around the RTX3060 to RTX3070 in terms or performance at a decent price. I wonder how Intel's new ARC line of GPU's would handle Train Sim World

44. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

So the Arc GPUs have issues with any game utilising DX11 and earlier. They're an absolute mess on those.
    DX12 titles they run better than the current crop of low end AMD cards (Although AMD's new ones are just a month away, so that will likely establish an order of price and performance for RTX 4000, RX 7000, and Arc A700 series cards.)

45. Calidore266

46. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Simple fact is ARC is pretty much beta hardware at this point, it's not gonna be worth it till driver issues and the like get worked out. By the time they are fixed you'll probably be able to get some good deals on the current gen, maybe even be able to consider grabbing next gen cards from Intel.

47. malikrthr

Good Day everyone, I would like to take the time to thank everyone for providing me with advice and suggestions on building a new PC :) After some delays with computer parts arriving throughout the holidays and some trial and error, I have finally built the successor to the 1st computer that I built back in 2012. I kind of went all out with this command station PC build, kicking it up a notch with some high performance parts and RGB fans. What I enjoy about building computers is that I have an idea of how it will operate based on the components. So far, I am very happy with it's performance. The difference between this computer and my old computer is night and day. This was a long overdue upgrade and I am amazed at how well it handles Train Simulator and Train Sim World. Now, with all the settings cranked up to ultra, along with the 165Hz monitor and Gsync enabled, I am getting over 80fps in Train Sim World 3 and Train Simulator Classic with very little to no stutter. This is amazing :D Below are the specs of my new PC build and some pictures. The only thing I wonder as this 27" monitor is 1080p, at times, Train Simulator Classic may look a bit pixelated with all the settings cranked up. I am wondering if it is due to the size of the screen or if there is something I might be able to do to get it to look sharp without it being a bit pixelated. Overall, it is not that bad and I am very happy with the end result of building my new computer. Thank you everyone and I hope everyone has a Happy Holidays :)

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Midtower Case
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4 ATX
    Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 OC Edition
    Processor: Intel Core i7 12700K LGA 1700 @ 3.6 Ghz
    Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterAir MA612 Stealth
    Memory: 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws CL16 RAM @ 3600Mhz in Dual Channel
    Storage #1: 1TB WD_Black SN850X NVME SSD @ 7300 MB/s (x2)
    Storage #2: 2TB SP A55 SSD (x2)
    Storage #3: 240GB Inland Professional SSD (X2)
    Fans: Corsair SP120 @ SP140 with Corsair iCue Commander Core XT Smart RGB Fan Controller
    Power Supply: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W 80+ Gold PSU
    UPS: APC Backup UPS 1500VA

The components before the build
    upload_2023-1-5_17-45-35.jpeg

Finished result. First boot of my new gaming computer
    upload_2023-1-5_17-45-51.jpeg

Interior of the gaming PC
    upload_2023-1-5_17-46-1.jpeg

Trying to improve my cable management skills
    upload_2023-1-5_17-46-13.jpeg

48. Crosstie

That's pretty much identical to my own rig, with the exception of the GPU ( RTX 3080 10 or 12 GB ).
    I get a consistent 60 fps (capped ) at 4k. You should get about the same, or higher fps at 1440p, with minimal stutter and settings at high /ultra.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  49. malikrthr

That is great. With my monitor going up to 1920x1080, I get roughly 70-80fps. I definitely think the refresh rate of the monitor paired with the CPU/GPU also help to smoothen out the fps.

50. uvm0902

malikrthr Congratulations on a successful purchase! I share your joy, I myself recently experienced my feelings and am extremely happy. For me, TSW3 and TC were revealed in all their glory! These screenshots can be admired forever.
    All I want to wish you is to switch to 4K resolution and you will see the game in a different way. Your system setup delivers 4K performance at a steady 60-80fps. Good luck and Happy New Year!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023