Tsw3 Out This Summer - Leaked In Last Night's Stream

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Skyz2020, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I'm also a bit of a multi platform player. I have a basic TSW2 package, with just a few routes, installed on PC and on my Laptop. Even the Laptop version runs quite smoothly, but I didn't play intensively on both systems. Of course you can enjoy maximum graphics settings and all train layers, but the most relaxed way to play the game is sitting on the couch with the controller in your hand. The PC means too much working atmosphere for me and serves more to be productive in your job than to play. But if you want to quickly check or update liveries in Creator's Club, the Laptop is very practical.

As a loyal Playstation guy I'm also hoping to get a next gen PS5 soon, but there's no rush. My PS4 Pro still works fine. On one hand the 64GB DLC limit fix or content managing tool isn't finished yet, but well on the way. And on the other hand the lack of availability, as everyone knows. Perhaps Sony is currently developing a PS5 slim version, so that no one can complain about a toaster or refrigerator design anymore. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Now the jackhammer has been fixed I am back on Series X. Image quality is identical to PS5 but with what little testing I have done on London-Brighton, fps is on average 10-15% higher on the SX at Victoria. The PS5 64 gb DLC limit is a major PITA but it will hopefully be fixed soon. This generation MS gets my vote as the SX is a neatly designed little console and the vastly improved MS ecosystem IMHO superior to Sony’s efforts this time around (I had a PS4 last gen but played mainly on PC).

3. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I really don't get this gen8-is-holding-us-back mantra. I have a gen9 console (Xbox) and I can"t see what the big deal is with TSW2 and next gen and what features would be missing because of gen8. Gen8 is already missing out on features so gen9 is not being hold back. Gen8 will be around during the entirety of 2022 and a big part of 2023.
    Sony send me an invite to buy a PS5 and on the day I could order they retracted the whole order-directly-with-Sony thingie. This chip shortage doesn't seem to go away any soon. The majority of players will be on gen8 for still a long time.

• Like Like x 4
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Everybody who says they don’t get the ‘gen 8 is holding us back’ thing are also ignoring the other factors. Continuing development of gen 8 is expensive because it takes a lot of effort to get TSW to work on those consoles. It hasn’t worked well on those consoles for a long time and if TSW was to continue to be developed on them it would not improve but get worse.

DTG won’t allow gen 8 consoles to hold them back, they are clear on that. Development of better routes with new features and more of what the players want will be introduced for PC and gen 9 players regardless of gen 8 being continued or not. But that causes DTG a huge problem as the distance between what can be developed for current machines and legacy machines gets wider. As it gets wider it gets more expensive and gen 8 takes up a much bigger percentage of the development time and budget and may not even be possible without a separate development stream for gen 8. And that definitely isn’t going to happen. The gen 8 builds would have to continue to be stripped down versions of the PC game. DTG’s idea of where TSW needs to be has outgrown their capability to provide it on gen 8. That can already be seen with the recent gen 8 releases and the lack of content across all platforms. DTG want to make TSW better, not to struggle on making it the same as it has been before. That requires change.

Gen 8 can handle a couple of trains on a complex route. Just about. Imagine if DTG want to release a route with three trains, but they can’t include all three on the gen 8 versions. That becomes an issue with designing two versions of the experience. It already happens mainly with layers and some rolling stock variety, but it’s a different story when it becomes the included locos that can’t be delivered. I don’t really think gen 8 players will accept it. The same is true if DTG want to release a loco DLC. The gen 8 versions of routes can’t handle it, so it doesn’t get made. That’s content that is missing for everyone. If DTG wanted to sell a loco DLC to just a portion of the players does anyone think that gen 8 players would accept that? Potentially having their favourite train available to PC and gen 9 players but not them. DTG would be very reluctant to have to deal with that. So do they just release simple routes with one train and maybe one layer from something else with no prospect of a loco DLC? No, they move on with their vision for where TSW needs to be and make any decisions that will allow that to happen. And that means saying goodbye to gen 8 consoles.

Stopping gen 8 development is like pulling a plaster (band-aid) off a hairy arm. You don’t want it to happen slowly and painfully over a period of time with ever reducing content disparity and development issues and terrible content for gen 8 players, it needs to be pulled off quickly, with a big jolt of moderate pain now but just for a very short time, by deciding to end the misery of gen 8 development and the poor experience the players get from it.

Pretty much everybody agrees that it will happen at some point. How those people can’t see that ‘some point’ is going to be very soon, I don’t know. Nobody’s argument here means anything, DTG will do it anyway.

As a town cryer outside DTG’s headquarters may proclaim, “The consoles are dead, long live the consoles.”

You may find that the majority is shrinking faster than you think. It may not even be a majority now.

• Like Like x 7
  5. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Just going back to the original post and the thread title. If we assume (which I am not) that the “leaked” message on the live stream was not a typo and there are plans for a TSW3, where did it say it would be out this summer?

• Like Like x 1
  6. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I have just read the message again, I have double checked it and no it doesn't say anything about a summer release, BUT as most of us know that in the past Dovetail have released their main game core updates and next working title for TSW in the summer months. July - September. So it seems a natural thing to carry on doing. Also the fact that they have announced they are working on a USA and a German route and yet to say they are working on a UK Route and release any details of said routes then I would have thought that these routes will be announced as routes for the upcoming new version of TSW. And of Course I could be completely wrong but there you go. Im going to go out on a limb and suggest the US one might be Tehachapi loop (bringing BNSF into the TSW family), possibly Fife Circle line or WCML South for the Uk and have absolutely no idea for the German one :) But I am probably far off the mark. Anyhow cant wait till September :o

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  7. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Not necessarily this summer though :)

8. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Well whatever the truth about PS5’s being easily available for a fair price I won’t be desperate to get one until they solve the dlc limit and progress transfer issues. That for me is a deal breaker.

Actually I understand the dlc add on limit for PS5 is nearly solved and I’m pretty sure it will help PS4 memory capability if I heard that correctly on the live stream. Is this correct? and if so maybe there is still life in the PS4 yet. More memory = more dlc content doesn’t it? Or will any PS4 memory savings not be that great.

• Like Like x 3
  9. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

In theory the addons manager should help with memory on all platforms including 8th gen

• Like Like x 1
  10. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

https://gamingbolt.com/final-fantas...ecause-its-vast-world-needed-the-consoles-ssd

This kind of news will become more and more common as time goes on. Ps4 users have the choice to jump on the bandwagon, or stay on the ground. The choice is theirs. The generational shift should be a reality by now, and if it hasn't been, it's because of the problems COVID has caused in the supply chains. But despite all this shortage, 20 million ps5s have already been sold.

But that will end, those holding on to their old (but beautifully designed) dinosaurs will be left without playing many gen 9 exclusive titles. If you don't want that to happen to you, start looking around and you'll find a next gen console without too much effort. If it seems expensive, start saving. But don't cry if you can't play many titles and don't threaten with the argument that without your financial support the studios will go under and close their doors. They can't be tied down programming for obsolete hardware indefinitely, so they will care less and less about what you think.

And I believe that the supposed TSW 3 will continue to be gen 8 compatible, because it makes the most sense for DTG, which is still a small studio. But even so, these versions are going to be more and more behind gen 9 and PC in terms of performance. So the move from gen 8 to gen 9 will be a natural one, DTG won't need to abandon these users, because they won't want to get indefinitely less or worse quality content for the same amount of money.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

Its people like you who infuriate me. You just don't get it

• Like Like x 2
  12. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Very well argued on your part

• Like Like x 4
  13. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Lol also the fact of history. The NES and Sega Master systems came out, within a couple of years you can't get Atari or Coleco Vision games anymore.

Then the SNES and Genesis came out and a couple years later you can't get anything for the consoles before.

And it happens with every generation built. Heck Xbox has already announced several 9th gen only upcoming titles for 2023. So it's going to happen eventually and sooner than later whether everyone has a new console or not. They just need to hit whatever sales target first, and by the looks of the increase in numbers over the last 2 quarters on both 9th gen consoles the numbers are getting up there.

Trust me I got burned on the Xbox 360 to Xbox One swithover. I waited too long and no one was making versions of games before I switched.

14. antwerpcentral

Are you joking? This got to be a joke right? Gen8 is bringing in the money for DTG. Most players are on gen8 so stop developing for them will be more expensive as less money comes in. I stopped playing TSW2 when I got my gen9 console because it ran even worse on gen9 than it did on gen8. Everybody who says gen8 is holding us back don't realise that TSW2 is not a gen9 game. Removing TSW2 from my Series S was the band aid I needed to pull. I'll come back to this game when it's finally ready for gen9.

How people can't see that the chip stock shortage needs to go away before Gen8 becomes not profitable enough anymore baffles me.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  15. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think the point is more that TSW 3/4/5 etc won’t be Gen 8 games, the sheer number of DLC’s alone is taking its toll on Gen 8, let alone what’s contained within the DLC.

TSW has been steadily outgrowing Gen 8 for a while now, I don’t think it’s physically holding TSW back, but I do think it’s a heavy weight on what devs are willing to try and put on them.

I think if routes continue to release with less features & increasing performance issues on Gen 8, then that income stream will steadily reduce.

Personally I couldn’t care less how long Gen 8 is supported, TSW is riddled with issues that have nothing to do with Gen8, which I think need solving first, but there is no denying the logic behind the reasons given to drop the old generation, using money as the only reason to support them is a decaying example, Gen 8 income will reduce whilst Gen 9 revenue will increase.

• Like Like x 2
  16. antwerpcentral

Sure, I'm not saying TSW should stick with gen8. I already have a gen9 now so I wouldn't care if they dropped gen8 but at the moment it does not make any sense to drop it, you see it with every game developer. Because of the shortages they are forced to support gen8. Games that were meant for gen9 only have become gen8 supported just because they would miss out on too many sales. TSW3 should be gen9 only that's for sure but the question should be if TSW3 is being held back by the shortages?

Things are so out of control with these shortages. I even bought an Xbox. That was never meant to happen if we did not had all those shortages. I was supposed to go from PS4 to PS5 not to Xbox. Still it happened. The whole market has been shaken up because of these shortages. Game developers must be scratching their heads which strategy to follow.

• Like Like x 2
  17. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

It is with a little irony I notice that there are some members who now have a Gen 9 console and are arguing the point that support for Gen 8 consoles is dropped because "it's holding them back". The same members who once argued against some of the PC users who were saying support for ALL consoles should be dropped - because it was holding them back.

Also, in the grand scheme of technology advancement, the 2 year old "new" consoles are already out of date and given just a little time it will again be said they are holding back the PC version once more. Deja vu!

And IF there is a TSW 3 I could see that it would make sense to make it latest Gen only. It would be a good point to draw the line. It doesn't mean they stop supporting TSW 2 fully though, there just might not be any further DLC. Or if there is it would be limited. Which as a PS4 user I'd be fine with, things move on. I've still got plenty of routes to play until (if/when) I get a PS5.

• Like Like x 9
  18. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I think you need to look at the numbers.
    There are still approximately 120 million PS4's out there compared to about 20 million PS5's. Plus, from what I read, PS4 sales are still greater than PS5.
    There's no reason to believe that TSW players don't reflect those figures.

You think that DTG's lack of public ripostes about still supporting gen8 means that they are getting ready to ditch them. I would say that the silence probably reflects the dilemma they're in when faced with ownership figures. They simply cannot abandon the overwhelming majority of gen8 players. They will have to keep supporting gen8 until gen9 players become, at the very least, a sizeable plurality of the console base, which is estimated to be in mid 2024 at the earliest.

Besides, my opinion is that it's not gen8 that's holding TSW back, but simply financial constraints. I think development costs are restricting route dlc's to <50 miles and one new loco. Nothing to do with PS4 limitations.

Maybe DTG will soon start making an enhanced Gen9/PC version of the game. But they'll still have to put out a Gen8 version for some time to come, or risk losing a big chunk of their player base.

Oh, wait? Aren't they kind of doing that already?

• Like Like x 3
  19. antwerpcentral

Exactly! In 2 years it will be "Xbox Series S is holding us back" :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I mean that is how technology works…

The irony of all this is that when Gen8 gets less in their DLC, they are up in arms on the forums.

• Like Like x 1
  21. antwerpcentral

How it used to work. It's the big numbers that count. I think we will have to lower expectations of what gen9 will have to offer. PS5 is going to need a lot of exclusives to repair the damage because at the moment it looks like Microsoft is winning the gen9 era. And that entry console of theirs might set the limit of what gen9 games will be able to do. I wanted a PS5 desperately but today I'm not in a hurry. Don't see me buying one before Final Fantasy 7 comes out and maybe by that time I'm so brainwashed by Microsoft I don't want one anymore :D

• Like Like x 1
  22. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I will say that I look forward to the Microsoft exclusives more so far, but that’s the only interest I have in the Xbox, I dislike pretty much everything else about it, the controller is too ‘clicky’ and the UI is clunky and in desperate need of a refresh.

There’s also the fact that you can never simply power it off completely, even in ‘full shutdown’ it still draws power.

You also can’t use the audio jack on the controller to watch stuff, because if you do that and the controller turns off, no more audio for you.

Then there’s not having any flexibility on internal storage, outside of their overpriced single option.

The PS5 is just a smoother experience that just feels much better, of course there are blunders with that too, such as no 1440p support & the 64GB DLC cap.

Anyway I’m radically off topic & verging on starting another type of console battle so I’ll leave that at that.

Hopefully DTG will open up a discussion on the current state of TSW and where we are going in the near future.

23. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

FWIW, according to vgchartz, as of the month of May, the PS5 has sold over 20 million units, while the Xbox series S & X combined are just under 15 million. In the past 12 months, the PS5 has outsold the Xboxes by 1.62 million units.

• Like Like x 1
  24. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

For me not. They could write what they want, I will buy a PS5 first if it's available for a normal price by not making scalping rich. I
    By talking about the Xbox SX always you should had realized that we're in the Playstation part of the forum.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for the stimulating conversation so far.

Most interesting absent party.. DTG

By now I would have expected a denial and the usual "of course gen 8 is going to be on TSW3..."

The silence would indicate the theory it isnt part of it is growing with every passing day.

Anyhow some good reading here and some excellent posts, keep it up

• Like Like x 2
  26. docsnyder1911

And how much of them stand in the hubs of scalpers, so that nobody can play with them:).

• Like Like x 1
  27. docsnyder1911

Exactly. Perhaps if there were 3 or 4 routes for TSW2 I could imagine to change to PS5, but not with the 36 routes TSW2 has already.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I think that’s a bit of an understatement. As someone who loves Bethesda and Obsidian games (meaning I am biased, to be fair), I see the future of Playstation in serious jeopardy. If Microsoft continues to buy major studios and publishers at the rate they’re currently doing, I don’t see how Sony will be able to compete long-term.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Calidore266

Possibly it's not going to be on 8th gen. Possibly it's early enough in the planning stage that DTG themselves have no idea when it might be released and thus no idea whether 8th gen will be supported or not. Lack of response just means that they don't feel the need to spend time responding to "theories" and rumors right now. And why would they? All the speculating may be fun for the community, but what makes it important enough to compel an official response outside of whenever an official announcement might be--weeks, months, 2023, 2024, 2025...?

• Like Like x 1
  30. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Maybe TSW3 is gonna be mobile only and we’re all gonna have aneurysms in response

• Like Like x 3
  31. bakedpotatos.jm

Who made you the forum police?

You do realize PS people post on both the Xbox and PC forums. So whats your problem?

32. bakedpotatos.jm

But Sony and Microsoft don't care who's buying them, scalpers or not. All they care about are sales, but we are still awhile off as I suspect the sales figures they want are probably closer to the 50 million number before they start to cut 8th gen off.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Calidore266

Doesn't really matter, I don't think. Scalpers are affected by the supply problems as much as end users are. MS and Sony certainly don't care who's doing the purchasing.

Oh, ninjaed.

But I also don't think current gen sales numbers matter as far as MS and Sony dropping last gen, just last gen activity. Sony is still making PS4s, and people are still buying them. MS stopped manufacturing their 8th gen consoles in January, but I'm sure they'll happily accept whatever money comes their way by developers. Meanwhile, even the huge AAA studios are still actively developing for 8th gen, and people are still buying the games. Unreal Engine 5 still supports 8th gen. It's on its way out eventually, sure, but it still has legs for now.

• Like Like x 3
  34. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

He's just upset he can't find a ps5. Taking it a bit too personally, in fact he seems quite butthurt. A serious case of denial.

• Like Like x 2
  35. antwerpcentral

It's all you need as a gamer right? Remember the announcement of the gen8 Xbox? The one where they talked all media and almost no games? Playstation got it very right when they announced their PS4 and it was all about games. Today I feel it's the other way around. The economics that Microsoft is using to lure in gamers is insane. I'm already passed the clunky controllers as an Elite controller costs as much as 2 PS5 games. Got an expansion card on Prime Day for the price of 2 PS5 games and in the meanwhile Microsoft is making it rain games with Game Pass.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  36. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Honestly I bet there will be some PC players in a few years that will say the PS5/Series X is holding the game back

• Like Like x 1
  37. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

And in those few years some of them will have probably spent £1500-2000 each upgrading their PCs, while some the console owners will have shelled out £450 on nice new gen 10 machines (or enhanced gen 9), and the cycle begins again.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd - destiny is all! :D

• Like Like x 1
  38. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Community Update

The three people most likely to step in and say that there is no intention of DTG stopping gen 8 development of TSW have all been seen on the forum replying to other threads on different topics and have as yet not said a word about this. JD, Sam and Matt have all posted on the forum since this TSW3 topic has arisen and have not felt the need to add some facts contrary to claims by myself and others that gen 8 development is to stop later this year. It’s been over a week now. I wouldn’t take that as 100% proof that the soothsayers are correct in their assessment of the situation but I would say that serious doubt must now be creeping in to the minds of the (tellingly very low number of) people who are saying that gen 8 development simply has to continue,

Hmmm… the soup thickens!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Perhaps they are thinking, give them all enough rope and they will hang themselves.

After all if they denied it all now, give it another month or so and someone else will start the same or similar all over again and a week later someone will be saying, look they are not denying it so what I am saying must correct even though I don't really have a clue as to what is going on behind closed doors.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Calidore266

DTG have said repeatedly that gen 8 is the majority of the player base and will continue to be served; they just haven't taken the time to repeat it yet again in response to a thread based entirely on speculation and fantasy.

Regarding your statement that "gen 8 development is to stop later this year", is there an actual source for that, or is it more of the same?

• Like Like x 4
  41. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Would agree stujoy, the silence is like a clanging bell in a grave yard at this point.

It's been a good run however, 10 routes across the u.k and over 30 locos from emus to dmus on ps4, will have more than enough track and trains now to last a life time.

Will join the ps5 crew in 2030 when prices are more reasonable, more than enough dlc and activities here to continue on last gen until then. London Commuter alone will take at least another year to complete all journey modes... between crashes

• Like Like x 3
  42. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Pure speculation but not a random guess based on nothing and certainly not fantasy. There’s no source for it other than me though, and others have come to the same thinking. As for DTG repeatedly saying gen 8 is the majority of the player base, I do believe that would have been the case when they were saying it. If they are so fond of saying it every time it comes up then them not saying it this time and not confirming that gen 8 is safe (lots of players will be eager to know that and have actually asked for confirmation) is becoming stronger evidence for me with every day that passes.

The leak that TSW3 was being discussed between developers in relation to the new Rivet release and new features that maybe couldn’t be included in the TSW2 release is what has started this, not idle speculation. Something is definitely happening and my other posts detail most of the reasons I believe this TSW3 (the existence of which is more or less confirmed) will be UE5 based and not available for gen 8 consoles and released this summer in the normal time period for TSW yearly updates.

• Like Like x 1
  43. docsnyder1911

The thing is Sony and MS make no money with the consoles. They make it with the games. And for consoles at scalper hubs there will be no players, that buing games. :).

• Like Like x 2
  44. docsnyder1911

It's not about police. It's about context. I think it's obvious. :)

• Like Like x 1
  45. docsnyder1911

Like I said often before, for me and a lot of other PS4-players it is equal for us if TSW3 will be for PS4 or not. If yes we will buy it eventually (eventually because it depends on the the content and the quality we will get). If not than TSW3 will be without us. And without our money. :) We have enough TSW2 stuff already.

• Like Like x 4
  46. docsnyder1911

Complitly agree with you Skyz2020.

• Like Like x 2
  47. docsnyder1911

I like to discuss with people, who have the luxury to have a PS5 instead of having a family and children. I also like to discuss with people who think PS5 is out 3 years instead of 1,5 years in reality. :). Because one of my luxuries is to discuss with this people. :)

• Like Like x 3
  48. docsnyder1911

Sculpers are not affected from shortages. You can buy there an overpriced PS5 anytime you want. Because there are not so much people, that buy a PS5 for such prices.

• Like Like x 1
  49. docsnyder1911

iPhone 13 exclusive? Because all other will be holding back the development of TSW3. :)

• Like Like x 3
  50. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Tend to agree Stujoy, the fact that no one from DTG has (yet) stepped in to reassure the gen 8 folks does lead one naturally to the conclusion that that generation stops at TSW2. Of course they may choose not to say anything for now because TSW3 is not even officially announced (radio silence), but the fact we know they are moving up an iteration speaks loudly that major changes are upcoming.

• Like Like x 2