PlayStation Train Sim World: What Is The Proper State Of Mind?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Everett, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Everett

Everett New Member

I couldn't think of a better title for this post, so let me add this information and a question and this may clear things up a little:

I am new to simulations games like this and am brand new to TSW. I am glad the game is on console because I will never have a PC solid enough to run the game the way it should be run. The more I play this game (about 120 miles in), the more I enjoy it.

When I am working through the tutorials, I play to learn (I am complete novice with trains).
    When I play through the scenarios I battle between wanting to earn a good score and wanting to run a solid, safe route and wanting to get better at handling the train and enjoying the trip, the scenery, and the detail.
    I hope to get to Service Mode soon and enjoy all of that - which I think is an incredible mode to have in a video game.

I have read quite a few posts that suggest to not concern oneself with the scoring and focus keeping the route safe and enjoying the game - So I guess my question is this:

Should I be more concerned with progressing through the game and scoring well (most video game goals) or should I concentrate more on driving the trains well and enjoying the experience (that seems to have more to do with reading a book than a video game)?

I think my answer is the latter, but I'd be interested in everyone else's thoughts...

• Like Like x 1
  2. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

I would say you should focus on having fun with the game, enjoying the trains, scenery.
    Personally i think the score and levels in the game can be ignored. You wont get anything for these levels and some bugs in the game and scenarios will make it hard to play for a better score because you have to restart / save often and such stuff.

My fun is coming from learning how to operate the different trains and feeling the progression i´m doing with sticking more and more to the time table , getting better in finding the right breaking points and knowing the signals / signs. And its pretty relaxing for me to have the scenery fly by while operating the train.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

It would be interesting to hear more about anywhere you feel that getting a good score contradicts driving properly - it's intended to give a better score for better driving!

4. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I would suggest a good example is the WSR. If you drive the Class 09 in the correct manner (in terms of amps and speed limits) there's no way you'll be able to complete the service on time. It doesn't help that the service timetable has less time between some stops than the real WSR's timetable does, and the Class 09 is much slower than the traction which would be used in regular service; So you have less time and slower traction than in reality, which means you can't complete many of the Class 09 services on time.

• Like Like x 3
  5. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I strongly suggest that you experiment with TSW for a good while before letting yourself be discouraged by the vast amounts of negativity available on this and other forums. I came to this sim after many pleasant years with TS and find myself enjoying TSW more with each new DLC release. I wish the same for you.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Everett

Everett New Member

I am concentrating on learning how to drive trains (and do other tasks like shunting and uncoupling) and taking my time with it.
    There is something really rewarding about completing a scenario - and the running it again and improving, even if it is only a little improvement.
    I catch myself a lot changing cameras and watching the train run down the track, then I have to dash back to the internal camera and drive!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Robbo1169

Robbo1169 New Member

I'm a newbie to tsw and train sims. I haven't a clue when it comes to good stopping points, when to start applying the brakes for a good stop at a station or red signal or to slow down in time for the speed restrictions. Any hint and tips would be appreciated or guides. I'm all for learning how to do it but I thought I'd get people's thoughts with their experience.

8. pdxmark77

pdxmark77 Active Member

Just watch some YouTube videos, twitch streams and start Practicing, that’s how I learned

9. Caineth

Caineth Member

I'm also new to train sims, TSW being my first game of this kind. In the beginning the timetable was kinda stressing me out (took a bit of enjoyment out of it, to be honest), but I'm having so much more fun with the game now when I'm a more efficient driver. It's also nice to mix it up with freight, since you don't have to stress with those services. I guess real life drivers often run on tight schedules, but for me, TSW is like comfort food I play in the evenings when I relax.

So to answer your question, I'm leaning towards the latter. :)

10. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

You didn't mention the tutorials, so I'm going to ask whether you've run them and suggest that if you haven't, so so; if you have, run them again from time to time. They're not perfect, but they do help.