Tsw3 - The Cat Is Out Of The Bag & The Unofficial Tsw3 Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Jul 5, 2022.

1. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Had a chance to go on the LUMO 803 the other week and found them to be noticeably more comfortable than the LNER 801 seats.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Basically, the UK Government have specified what is to be installed on these units, and therefore they're the cheapest possible. When the people who run the trains specify, the seats are better, but not always that much better
    So yeah, cost mainly, but also non railway people saying what railways should look and feel like never really ends up working well

• Like Like x 1
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Actually that’s a good point. I remember when the Mark 2F’s and later Mark 3’s came out with the turquoise seats in second and orange in first, being regarded as most uncomfortable. When the Southern 4CEP units got refurbished there were cries of concrete slab and I remember catching one down to Dover for the ferry and yes, most uncomfortable. The last squadron refurb GWR did on their HST fleet replaced relatively comfortable seats with quite firm versions that were also quite high and claustrophobic if sat in an airline type seat.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I just hope they improve the lighting.

This might be the single biggest flaw in TSW currently.

After playing a few other games and especially MSFS I'm actually physically unable to look at the lighting in TSW so I stopped playing.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

After the release on Tuesday hoping we might hear something more about all this. Interesting the sparks were obviously in the build on TSW2 so the plot thickens.

6. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

TSW3 you say , does it come with RTX , DLSS support. 4k 120fps on console. Aberdeen to Penzance. Err a consist that never ends or passengers that have Lazer beams to signal trains . Or a collector's edition that includes a 3in7 rover ticket , or an all access pass to DTG headquarters with tea and biscuits.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

another railfan tv schedule like the calm befor3 the storm

• Like Like x 1
  8. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Joking aside, for me personally, this is the route I'd want to see appear the most at some point in the future - primarily so we can get to use the awesome 313 on other than just the service to Lewes or Seaford from ECW, plus a nice bonus of some bonus Class 166 services to/from Brighton on the WCW.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

There are a few more southern routes I’d like to see, however the issue with that sort of content (and to be fair, most of DTG’s content) is that they release too much of the same stuff, too close together.

The result is burn out, and it’s a real issue across both UK and DE content.

• Like Like x 7
  10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Yes you just need to look at the range of UK and German (plus Austria) routes in TSC to see a huge variety in era and location. So far as the UK is concerned, I wouldn’t object to something like the Wherry Lines, with maybe Sheringham tagged on as well. I’d even swallow my era preference and have it set modern day, if that was a key factor in getting it to game. As regards Germany, we need to get away from the interurban S-Bahn with a token high speed run. How about the Karwendalbahn from Innsbruck up to Garmisch or Kempten down to Lindau? Both those are in TSC so most of the reference is already there.

• Like Like x 5
  11. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

As long as the performance and sound issues are sorted I don't care, as long as it's not a £50 upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Performance, Sound and Lighting (!) ;)

• Like Like x 4
  13. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

maybe simrail giving dtg some future ideas? haha wonder the kind of shock of announcement that TSW3 will run on unity engine lol.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Der Uni

Der Uni Well-Known Member

I think the "New American Route" an the "New German Route" that hat been announced in the last Roadmaps, are both Routes for TSW3.

I think no new Routes will be released from DTG for TSW2 - except from third partie Developers like Rivet or Skyhook.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I have a feeling in my bones that the long-awaited improved moving map will at last be realised for TSW3. Outside of such fantastical theories as UE5 and a complete game rewrite, I wonder what other smaller, more reasonable improvements await us? (After all, TSW is more about evolution than revolution)

16. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

The monthly roadmap excites me. But then came the moment of stillness, and now the forum is so calm; the calm is terrifying. I think it's time for DTG to make some changes, is it TSW3's highlight this year? Any news for next month?

• Like Like x 4
  17. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

It most definitely does feel like the calm before the storm. There's still some preserved stuff to come so we shall see I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I think IOW 2022 will be the final route release for TSW2. Funnily enough, the first IOW route was the first original TSW2 DLC release too!

• Like Like x 4
  19. JBVector

JBVector New Member

I absolutely agree! I honestly don't care about the cost of the game, as long as its UE5.

• Like Like x 1
  20. chieflongshin

Have you seen the train station? Is that Why?

21. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Sure enough that whatever TSW3 is, I would be looking to buy. Assuming, of course, that it exists, which was certainly implied. However, I do rather wish that it had been included on the last roadmap, or for as many roadmaps as may have been relevant. If it truly is in some stage of production, I don't really see why it would not have been included on the roadmap, all oblique references to new routes notwithstanding. To me, this may reduce the relevance of of the roadmap, although for many I believe it is already somewhat irrelevant. If TSW3 is truly coming, I would have wanted the community to be able to respond to the plan. Perhaps these are still early days, and the chance to give input is coming. But for now, speculation.

If TSW3 is really coming, my personal request would be for all achievements, levels, tasks, etc. to carry over, although I understand this is not important to some players.

• Like Like x 4
  22. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Thinking back over the past 4 years, It would be counterintuitive for a summer to pass without a major announcement.

(Please no discussion about when summer ends. We settled on Octember 45th last year.).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  23. ARuscoe

Thinking back over the past five years it's unusual for no announcement by now to be fair...

• Like Like x 2
  24. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

It is, and also Matt is being very quiet recently not even seen a forum post for a while.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

My issue is that when this hiatus started they said that it was simply for catching up on preserved crew content, and other updates. But this whole TSW3 thing suggests that was a cover story more than anything, which kind of ticks me off. If you're to do something like this either say what you're doing off the bat, or don't say a single damn thing, don't try and mislead people.

• Like Like x 3
  26. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Today, tomorrow or one day, I hope for a solid reboot of the series without sad stories, taged #preservation. New game, on the new version of UEngine. I am counting on such a brave move. DTG, go go go.

27. ARuscoe

They said they were taking a pause in releases to do updates. They've released updates.
    If they're doing something else as well, this is standard company practice so not an omission or misleading, it's what companies do when they have multiple teams.

28. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

A decision which would cause irreparable damage.

• Like Like x 4
  29. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Maaaan, how can you make a 13-pager out of a freudian slip?! Amazing!

• Like Like x 4
  30. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Or not. But You are right. It could be very risky :) BR o7

31. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, but a Freudian slip is usually covering up a hidden, if sub- conscious, truth. That's why there are over 600 posts.

• Like Like x 1
  32. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Lol you people will literally hoover up any tiny crumb regarding anything and think its got a hidden agenda or something. It was a TYPO plain and simple and it was referring to the Class 484 for the IOW. Sparks... Does that ring any bells? Sparks is a feature of TSW2 you can see them with wheelslip especially on the SoS locos. I think you all need to get out a bit more instead of coming up with conspiracy theories about everything. TSW3 isn't coming anytime soon and if they do suddenly announce it then I'll eat my hat... IF I had one lol.

• Like Like x 3
  33. ARuscoe

Which is basically the whole idea behind having a forum...

• Like Like x 1
  34. breblimator

breblimator Guest

So, this thread is not an official one?
    Oh my... :D

35. ARuscoe

The entire forum is barely official... :o

• Like Like x 3
  36. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Its ok when it's officially announced then we'll have a whip around to buy you a hat to eat. Do you take yours with salt and vinegar or mayo?

• Like Like x 2
  37. BeastyBill88

Please can you try and make it one of them big nacho sombreros like this? Lol

38. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Far too palatable. I was think more of one of the Russian bear skin hats.

39. BeastyBill88

Russian or Queens guard version? Either way I think I'll have mayo with it lol

• Like Like x 1
  40. ARuscoe

Queens guard is fake bear (plastic)

• Like Like x 1
  41. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Honestly, I wouldn't be that upset if TSW3 was essentially a fresh start if, and only if, the Preservation Crew continued to support TSW2 to fix bugs, improve signalling, and bring the feature set of older routes to the 2022 standard. Then TSW2 can be 'finished' and remain on sale, as happens with most other series.

I think it is going to be increasingly unfeasible to keep porting the older routes through engine updates, to new versions of the game, and to add new features to older routes without breaking them. And let's be honest, there's a good deal of stuff holding TSW2 back--the DLC limit on PS5, Sony's trophy limits, 8th gen console memory limitations, janky signalling logic on older routes ("red signals only go green after the lock doors objective is complete"), DLC add-ons being tied to particular routes, and feature sets and trains being inconsistent because routes are self-contained, to name a few.

Perhaps making TSW3 a new and separate product, exclusive to PC/9th gen consoles, with a 'home' route that all trains (including loco DLC) are tied to, better lighting systems, more detail on locos (as seen in Rivet's Class 484), a better menu UI, and Scenario Planner and Livery Designer 2.0, is not such a bad idea.

• Like Like x 6
  42. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I disagree. For me now the thought of coming back to TSW2020 is unthinkable, and if it's going to be the same for TSW2 in two year's time I might have as well wasted all the money I spent on TSW, and will deter me heavily from buying content for the new game, as it would have a much lower "service life" it that makes sense. It's the same reason why it's crucial to me that rivet went back and fixed Arosa after the bugs caused by 4.26

They either keep coming back to it and add new features (which doesn't make a lot of sense if they game if "finished" - so no longer supported) or they keep updating the same game like they did/are doing with Train Sim, which is, in my opinion, the better option

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  43. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

This argument doesn’t really make any sense. You haven’t “wasted” your money, as the routes would still be playable and, to a certain extent, supported under my idea. That’s like saying you wasted your money on Euro Truck Sim because American Truck Sim was an entirely new game that didn’t allow you to bring over your old DLC.

Compared to TSC, where routes are very much released and then dropped, having everything brought up to the ‘final’ polished level of TSW2’s most recent releases is substantially better. Indeed, even that exceeds the original scope of the Pres Crew, as iirc the goal was to bring routes into TSW2 and then leave them in their original state (as they had been in TSW2020), not to backport new features/tech into them. But if you think the “release it and forget it” system of TSC is better than having a “release it, upgrade it, and leave it in a state where it is, permanently playable, with a majority of bugs and issues fixed” is better, then… uh, go ahead, I guess?

I think the very example you stated—bugs introduced to Arosalinie after the upgrade from 4.23 to 4.26—actually reinforces my point that it doesn’t make sense to keep dragging old routes through engine updates that could substantially break them. Isn’t it better to have a preserved, playable TSW2 that doesn’t require you to wait for a year (or more) for the Pres Crew or a third-party developer to get around to bug-fixing because “oops! The UE update accidentally made the route unplayable”?

We’ve seen how long it takes Pres Crew to get releases and bug fixes out. Heck, even for them to get a QA slot. (Which, based on past performance, may have been a waste of time anyway.) Do you want to experience the same thing again, and even worse moving forward as the back-catalog ever grows?

44. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

For this you are right. The money wouldn't be wasted, as I still played the route in the past, I just didn't get as much value as initially expected.
    Yes, the routes would technically be "playable" just like NEC - NY is now, but I don't think people are too happy to having to go back to TSW2020 now, it's just a huge downgrade from TSW2. Yes, they would be "playable"... but if TSW is going to evolve at the same pace it did a few years ago it's going to feel like a downgrade.
    This is not a good business practice, no one is saying otherwise (I hope) but there is a difference between back porting new features and just doing basic maintenance to make sure new routes don't get broken by new updates. Things like the Arosa fix was necessary, adding the level crossing to HRR wasn't, and while those things are "nice to have" they don't hugely impact the game, also by continuing to support older routes you keep the window open for further updates, let's say a future EBuLa implementation. If TSW2 is a thing of the past, no route will get it, even if it's a core change that requires very little DLC change (like the skybox), also you close the window to using more upgraded train, for example, if RH was a different game we would have been stuck with the much worse RSN BR143. You can't tell me to go back to using the RSN BR143 after having used the BRD BR143, I'm just not going to do it, no matter how much I love RSN.
    No, I very much don't. But, I knew what I was buying when I bought it, and making it better is not as important as fixing bugs. The RSN update added railroad crossing, but you still can't use the DRA BR185.5, the BR155 still has broken PZB on Cab 2, not wanting new "shiny" but ultimately not fundamental changes for them to just focus on bug fixes is not supporting a "release and forget system".
    No, that's an example that supports the fact that Adam's team is needed if this games wants to go forward. And yes, I am prepared to lose a few DLC along the way, if it so happens they were built in a way that doesn't support the new engine (like the TSW2020 NEC NY) but purposefully abandoning them seems silly to me. Especially when I wouldn't ever trust DTG to leave them in a good enough state to not need that further fix.

If the old version is worse enough than the new one it becomes unplayable by default to me, again I wouldn't be able to go back to use the RSN BR143 after using the DRA one, the same way I can't go back to using the TSW2020 ACS-64 in NEC NY after trying the still mediocre NEC Boston one.
    If this is the price to pay to have old DLC being brought forward, with added features (adhesion physics was added to all TSW2020 DLC) then so be it. I hope they do a better job next time, but it's better than the alternative.

Addendum: I also almost forgot to add, you lose a lot of option for loco DLC and scenario designer ideas, do you think Maik is going to be happy to release his BR420 DLC for a game that is no longer supported? What if that causes bugs that need fixing from DTG?

Also let's say in the future a route with a Class 700 is released. If TSW2 is a thing of the past, there would be no hope of adding it to BML.

• Like Like x 3
  45. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time for making such an inane post, if the thread does not 'excite' you in any way why do you feel the need to comment on it. Does it make you feel superior?

Couldn't agree more, especially the Station Lighting, it is embarrassing. We have 24 hour timetable's but you can't effectively use them as you cannot see nowt.

Over the years I have known plenty of forums as a player, user and moderator and Admin I even ran a forum with a team of moderators and had a right laugh doing so and comparing to this one with some of the more 'awkward' stuff it does OK imo. I used to run a 'clan' forum and boy those get spicy granted they were a few years ago now but even so.

For me there is a difference between a heated debate and someone just being nasty. If someone says a train is 'plastic trash' no-one gets hurt, just put your opinion why you think they are not. Forums are just for opinions and so long as no-one is being nasty with intent I do not see it as a problem.

I love the Steam era in it's infancy (1820's), not all do, and I think the BR era was great also. Yes there were problems but I liked and loved the variety. People have poured scorn on that era it doesn't matter, all you can do is put your opinion forward.

I used to travel on the HST in the 70's-early 2000's and had no problem with the seats. I had no trouble falling asleep for example and I travelled all over GB, had a right ball sometimes. I have seen a few reviews of the 800's though on youtube saying about the poor seats and the over use of plastic inside and the 'cracking' which had to be addressed which comes down to cost I think. To me seating should be given a much higher priority though as surely a happy customer would be better than a miserable one?

Are you sure on that? As of December 2021 they were still wearing real Bear skin, certainly the Grenadier and Coldstream Guards were. And the skins were ordered from black bears which have to be culled in Canada. Unless something has recently changed I remember seeing a report where they said the guards didn't like the artificial hair as it reacted more, static electricity and things like that I presume.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It was a response to a question asked by another user. Such is the purpose of fora.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  47. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Um, the same could be asked about a pointless post insulting both a previous post and the poster for no reason. Except Callum B. simply told the truth. Aside from the initial post screencapping JD's camera slip, and JD's response to same, everything else is smoke without fire. Some are aware of that and just having fun "what if"-ing, while others seem to have lost the plot.

48. chieflongshin

Unreal 5 ,,, ooh I hope it's unreal 5, yes we need unreal 5, the game will be so much better on unreal 5.

This is the peace pipe I'd like extinguished with a harsh dose of being your 3090 back to 2022. It will still likely be a bag of nails, run awful and then everyone will whine it didn't look like that station demo.

It should be at this time "get real 5" , dreamers .

• Like Like x 2
  49. ARuscoe

I'd read it somewhere, but then I just looked it up (which I should have done previously) and nope...
    Parlimentary debate results - 2022

• Like Like x 1
  50. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

I'm nearly 50 and grew up with R stock District Line trains and Class 302s. I love the old traction. However, older rail fans will prefer Q-stock and Steam and think that the 1950s & 60s BR Multiple Units are "plastic crap". Younger fans grew up with D stock and 357s. There's no wrong or right, love what you love.

However, for DTG to keep growing the TS brands, they will need to embrace newer trains in order to bring new enthusiasts on board, as most people love the trains they grew up with.

• Like Like x 5