Vivarail Class 230 'd-train' Battery Electric Multiple Unit

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by NotAgain, Sep 21, 2018.

?
  1. Yes, but just the train.

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Yes, both the Class 230 and the Comwy Valley line.

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. No, but I'd like some more battery stock.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nope.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. NotAgain

NotAgain Member

One thing I've noticed that Train Simulator is seriously lacking is battery-electric stock, the only one I can find being the English Electric Type 3B locomotive from the 'Return to Maerdy' addon. (There's also Corris No.9 for the Corris Railway, but this thread is concerned with standard gauge stock.)

[​IMG]

Vivarail's new Class 230 DMU/Battery EMU is something of an answer to alleviating stock shortages and replacing aging DMUs, including Pacers, especially on rural services. The Class 230 itself is a converted London Underground D78 stock train, previously used on the District Line until the introduction of modern S-Stock trains.

[​IMG]

A few orders have been placed for both the diesel and battery-electric versions of the train, including an order for five units for the Borderlands line operated by Transport for Wales (running between Wrexham, Wales and Bidston, England), plus an undisclosed number on their Conwy Valley line, and Chester to Crewe line (part of the North Wales Coast line, already available as a DLC). West Midlands Trains have also announced an intention to run three Class 230 trainsets on the Marston Vale line.

Seeing as we already have one of the routes that these trains are going to operate on (North Wales Coastal), I think that selling the Class 230 as a stock and scenario expansion for that could be quite a good idea. I also think it creates an excellent opportunity to sell an extension for North Wales Coastal, giving us this train (and possibly an Arriva Trains Wales Class 153) and the lovely Conwy Valley Line running from Llandudno via Llandudno Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

And the D stock already exists in the game, so a reskin or rework would be possible...

• Like Like x 1
  3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I think these were first proposed for the North East. I can't tell you how excited people got around here at the news that the clapped out, life expired and thus much reviled Pacers might be replaced by... er... clapped out, life expired London Underground units with new workings.

Personally I'll wait and see. They'll have to meet certain standards which the Pacers can't be adapted to or you bet they'd be run into the ground for a few more years. They might be brilliant. They do however sound like a half arsed, cheap jack solution when everywhere else seems to be getting new stock so you see the concerns.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NotAgain

NotAgain Member

I never said they were a good solution, just an amusing prospect for Train Simulator. I share people's hatred of Pacers, but that doesn't stop me driving them in TS, but I do see your point, JJTimothy.

5. JJTimothy

As I said, although on the face of it they seem half baked, I'm not going to dump on 230s just for the sake of it. I can't get too upset about Pacers either for that matter- they were meant to be cheap to build and run and (after teething troubles) they were just that. There are no few passenger services still running thanks to the Pacers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

?
    Does not make sense

7. JJTimothy

Simply that the Pacers' low running costs make passenger services viable that wouldn't be otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I was trying to understand the English

9. NotAgain

NotAgain Member

To add to my original post, the Class 230 has been confirmed for operation in three two-car units on the Bedford-Bletchley line from December of this year, and the first production trainset (230003, right) has been completed and painted in its LNWR rivery, as seen here alongside the prototypes (230002, left, and 230001, partially in shot, far left).

[​IMG]

The three trainsets are configured as DMUs, with the option to convert to battery-electric power later on.

10. NotAgain

NotAgain Member

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The one difference between the BEMU on Steam, Class 419, and this Class 230 is power supply.
    When it gets going the Class 230 has a Diesel engine powering Traction Motors so it's a DEMU - like the Voyager units.

The Class 419 was really a EMU with additional power available from the Batteries for working away from the Third Rail but with only limited power available - they were designed to run with luggage vans around Dover Western Docks and Folkestone Harbour
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_419

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Nope... http://vivarail.co.uk/class-230-future-proofed/

"We offer the Class 230 as a DMU, EMU, battery or battery hybrid with minimal changes to the base specification"
    So there are different power versions, full Diesel, full electric, full battery or battery hybrid. There WILL be a version that runs completely from the battery with charging points...

"The new test train will simulate an EMU with on-board energy storage using lithium batteries and is designed to operate where continuous electrification is undesirable or expensive. These battery powered trains are capable of running all day with Automatic Charging Points installed at each end of the line."

I saw an "all the stations" special on you tube where they detailed the battery only version, including an interview with the project development manager

• Like Like x 1
  13. iAspex

iAspex Active Member

The Conwy Valley line is already released as a freeware route.

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Of the current trains they have built only One is battery powered.
    http://vivarail.co.uk/class-230-development/
    " The UK’s first mainline production battery train in action. The Class 230 unit 230002 carried hundreds of passengers over 3 days in Scotland"
    And http://vivarail.co.uk/about-vivarail/
    "Fully approved 3-car DEMU that has been in mainline passenger use
    Soon-to-be-approved 2-car battery train that will be used as a demonstrator vehicle"
    The only train that is mainline passed is a DEMU

And you are unlikely to see them in passenger service this year
    http://vivarail.co.uk/vivarail-official-statement-marston-vale-line/

Peter