Tsw3 - The Cat Is Out Of The Bag & The Unofficial Tsw3 Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Ultimately its a personal thing. I grew up with BR Blue and then the sectors. Privatisation wiped out steadily everything that I was a fan of although tbh BR tried to do that with loco hauled passenger trains although never ordered enough units. I am sure OldVern of this parish can relate as especially on the Western region and up here around Liverpool and Manchester we continued seeing loco and stock on trains supposedly meant for total DMU monopoly.

Sprinters maybe old but do nothing for me on the excitement front. They invoke some memories of the 80s in their original liveries and some days out on them but Ultimately for me once you have experienced a loud loco at high speed on a line like the Highland Mainline or Dawlish sea wall then riding a sprinter to somewhere just doesn't cut it. Plastic describes the experience of the beholder not just the decor of the trains.

I am similar over 37s in some of the moder commercial liveries and mods just isn't the same even if they sound good. Don't take offence people if the term plastic is used its simply down to the fact that little or no enjoyment is found.

• Like Like x 6
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Yes, plastic should be read in the same context as real ale lovers (like myself) will describe pasteurised keg beer as “fizz”. Yes it’s beer and it will get you p****d but the journey is nowhere near as pleasant or tasty.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Now that the Island Line has been released, I feel we need some sort of reveal very soon (ie within the next week or so). Whether it be TSW3 or the identity of one of those 2 routes in development...new content/news seems rather thin at the moment.

Who is with me on this ?

• Like Like x 8
  4. OldVern

Definitely.

I think it’s also high time we had some detailed news on the promised improvements and fixes to Spirit Of Steam, which appears to have dropped off the radar even quicker than most previous DLC.

• Like Like x 3
  5. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

No thanks. We’ve had enough Southern third rail modern routes. I certainly don’t want to see the Electrostar recycled yet again…

Time for something different. A route set in the Midlands, The North or Wales. Anything but modern Southern third rail…

• Like Like x 13
  6. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

I would like to remind everyone that even if TSW3 will release, there is a huge chance it will be like TSW2's release. More features than the previous one, everything old in pres crew, and, well, you know how buggy TSW2 can be and was on day one.

7. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I hope that "TSW 3" isn't full of additional features which don't add to the overall game. An updated livery editor is a must given the Creators Club has taken off. I'd also like to see an improved map but don't hold much hope of seeing one. I just want them to build on what we get in TSW 2, don't add unnecessary things for the sake of it and just keep improving the core game.

• Like Like x 3
  8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

More important to me would be a proper scenario editor with a consist maker and ability to insert into a live timetable rather than everything being empty

• Like Like x 9
  9. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Agreed. I forgot about that as I never use it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

Me neither, and it's LESS useful than the livery editor, hence mentioning it.
    Spent many hours in TSC creating scenarios but the one in TSW is so limited I tried once, never again until it has way more functionality

• Like Like x 4
  11. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

No. The 313 if we're unlucky! If it's a layer from the loco DLC I bought for extra cost, OK. Giving it basically for free would mean that I paid €15 just for the ECW timetable.

• Like Like x 1
  12. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

My thoughts on TSW3. I do not think that this year there will be TSW3 on the updated UE5 engine.
    My expectation is a new summer issue of TSW, which will most likely appear no earlier than September. Which will include 3 routes, one old British improved (possibly Bakerloo with a new timetable or Liverpool - Crewe) and two new routes, American and German.
    TSW3 may be announced, but it won't be released until May 2023, as was the case with "Spirit of Steam".
    I would be very surprised if this happens this summer. Especially if TSW3 includes the new Scenario Editor 2.0 and Livery Editor 2.0, which were omitted from the roadmap. And if it does, it will most likely be on the old engine.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  13. OldVern

Actually I am beginning to wonder if this whole TSW3 "leak" was to redirect attention from some of the more pressing issues.

Without labouring the point from other threads, Spirit Of Steam seems to have rapidly joined the catalogue of "fired and forgotten" routes, despite the assurances that improvements were going on, not to mention the numerous bugs and gameplay issues pointed out by the customers. Some of which - like poorly formed consists requiring manual release of the brakes on fitted wagons and the whole train then rendered unfitted - could be fixed by a few minutes in their editor.

• Like Like x 8
  14. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

What new additional features would you classify as unnecessary? Just wondering.

Which means, you think that leak wasn't an accident but surved the prupose to divert discussion to something else? I mean, nobody said, we're not allowed to discuss outstanding SOS bugs. There are still some active threads where this is done right now.

Maybe these fixes take their time? These fixes have to be tested. I'm sure it's not "forgotten". Not at all, as SOS has been one of the most played DLCs so far. These fixes including the manual fireman are being worked on. If it takes time, it takes time. It's better to wait longer than having a fast fix, that does the opposite in the end :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. OldVern

Remains to be seen. I am a natural sceptic where DTG assurances are concerned and nothing will change that. At the least they could sort out the misformed consists which I highly doubt would take more than an hour or two to run through the affected scenarios and correct them.

And given the high profile all the "ongoing" improvements were given in the pre-release hype, a little information about where they are wouldn't hurt.

• Like Like x 3
  16. ARuscoe

Their Q&S post just before the roadmap earlier this month would tell anyone looking that issues never get forgotten about, same for the "what can Rivet do to help the 150" post...

Yeah, they really don't help themselves on these ones. That could easily have been a day one fix...

"Anything involving an electrostar" would be some people's answer... In the end there are a great many things which COULD be added into the game which would greatly enhance people's experience including some form of editor, scenario editor, consist editor, random weather, random time of year and temperature, a passenger system that doesn't involve people stuck in the stairs or only boarding one carriage... that sort of thing

• Like Like x 1
  17. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure as I don't know what they have in mind, but for the sake of argument, here are some additional features which I feel, shouldn't be in the game.

Mastery was a waste of time.
    Didn't work for many people and not available on every route but this may have changed, I don't check.

Scenario Creator in it's current form is pointless.
    Nothing more than a glorified quick drive.

Collectables (see mastery).
    Makes it feel like a kids game more than a "Simulator".

The 2d map. Since day one, it's been all but useless as it provides us with so little information. No station names, junction names, showing us which are the up and down lines, head code of passing trains etc..

All these add nothing to the driving experience and that's what the game is about. I'd rather they spent time on more pressing things.

• Like Like x 1
  18. matinakbary

Well... yes and no. There ARE some very good scenarios in the CC. With many AI, nice service. So the SD 1.0 was in my opinion a great improvement to no scenario designer at all. But yes, it needs more love to become better and more flexible with individual pathing, signal changing and placing static stock on yards.

I don't care either for the collectables. But as seen in some discussions here, there are many people who really like them [who cannot love the IOW dino?]. But the good thing is: One can just ignore them and doesn't have any disatvantage at all.

Agreed. A map with hardly any information isn't useful at all. I remember even Sam ranting about it in some streams :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

i don't care for collectables, doing platform / track maintenance / litter picking work, or the whole damn trophies and points thing, i bought this game to pretend i'm a train driver, not to play a sort of pokemon go game around railway lines.

And yes, whilst i can ignore most of it, unless i turn the HUD completely off i can't stop the annoying popup's blocking half the view ahead when i'm driving, congratulating me for having driven so many hundred km's that match the loco's BR number and other crap like that.

• Like Like x 3
  20. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I don't particularly care for the collectables although I do quite like to have a wander around the virtual world and I quite like some of the tasks, like placing maps etc. I think the cameras on IOW are a nice touch and show some thinking out of the box.

However, just because I am not particularly into the less driving orientated side of things a lot of people are and it probably appeals to a lot of users who aren't necessary ardent train enthusiasts.

However I just ignore the parts of the sim I am not interested in, they certainly don't bother me.

• Like Like x 6
  21. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

It beggars belief that there's been no update or talk of an updated map since TSW came out. That should be up there on the list of must have's imo.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I do play actual games, mainly Nintendo stuff, and from a game design standpoint the collectables do nothing to appeal to traditional gamers in my opinion. There's nothing actually going on that warrants collecting them, there's some bragging right achievements, but that's it. Good collectables give gameplay reasons to actually want to go out of your way and get them.

For example the Metroid series has optional collectables called Energy Tanks & Missile Tanks. When you collect each of these they increase how much Energy (aka health in laymen's terms) you have and how many missiles you can carry. These make tackling tough enemies and bosses much easier, and thus while they are technically optional you have incentive to grab them outside of just ticking up a number. Not to mention there's a real sense of progression with how much more powerful you get with each collectable. It is incredibly satisfy to go from 100 Energy and 10 missiles to having well over 1000 Energy and having over 250 stinking missiles.

It's having that progression that really matters, the fact that DTG think it's the mere act of collecting that does it is very off base. Euro & American Truck both get this, and thus this is why those have such great outreach beyond the sim crowd, even though they don't have a single damn collectable in sight.

• Like Like x 3
  23. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I was being sarcastic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  24. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

I think Marias Pass with a GE Tier 4 ET44C4 and an EMD GP38-2 in BNSF would make a nice debut route for TSW3 and with the happy times I am having on TSW2. I welcome it with open arms.

25. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'd say that's not a bad bet for the unannounced US route. BNSF has always been highly requested and Marias Pass is a fan-favorite.

I still think it'll be a BNSF route in SoCal, like Mojave sub or something like that.

26. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Well on Xbox and if you have game pass, when you collect all the collectables, you earn an achievement. If you get an achievement in any game on gamepass (including tsw2), you get microsoft rewards points which can be used to buy items such as gift cards and enter sweepstakes to potentially win items like laptops and consoles so technically there is an incentive to an extent on xbox to collect collectables and earn achievements

• Like Like x 3
  27. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

tsw3leak2.jpg

From tonights scenario stream. For them another unfortunate stream slip up when for a split second TSW3 desktop icons can be seen just above JD's head. Just more evidence of an imminent TSW3 announcment.

• Like Like x 17
  28. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

That's a slam dunk, we'd best get BeastyBill88 his hat ordered. I hope he's hungry

• Like Like x 10
  29. tallboy7648

At this point they are not even trying to hide it. No point really at this point

I wouldn't even be surprised if there was a tsw3 article leaked before the game was officially announced. Also judging by the Unreal engine logos, It doesn't appear that the game engine will change but I could be wrong although I don't see why tsw needs a new game engine anyways.

I suspect tsw3 will just be a free core update like what happened with tsw to tsw2020 and there will be new routes bundled together with an existing route for those that may want to get the summer bundle so to speak.

• Like Like x 7
  30. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Did we say he could have Mayo in the end?

In all seriousness though, open up DTG, it’s time to talk.

“taking some quiet time to work on bug fixes” eh?

• Like Like x 5
  31. tallboy7648

They could just be shifting their attention to tsw3 at the moment hence why we haven't seen the rest of the preserved crew updates yet

• Like Like x 1
  32. OldVern

Good spot on the stream.

My hope would be this is why we haven't yet seen even minor fixes for SoS. Maybe they are polishing it to be one of the front or at least second row routes fully upgraded for TSW3,

• Like Like x 2
  33. matinakbary

34. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

That's a great catch it was only on the screen for half a second.

• Like Like x 3
  35. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

TSW3? pffft, old hat, i've had TSW4 for like aaaages... here's the proof:

upload_2022-7-21_21-40-12.png

• Like Like x 1
  36. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

In 2019 Birmingham University were involved in developing a hydrogen train. I think we have two now that are up and running. I think it is called the class 799? Could be wrong but wouldn't it be great if DTG could actually do something like this?

Hahaha, good spot. I'm imagining how JD is hated by some at DTG ;) No doubt they will cover their arses and say they meant to leak it.

If they do this UE5 I wonder if they will just release it as an upgrade to TSW2 or will we get a brand game in TSW3? If so will the game be new from scratch or will they import things over from TSW2 which will mean we get the same bugs no?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at one of their meetings.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

It seems rather likely now those 2 routes in development will be part of TSW3 along with all the features which have been talked about up until now (Scenario Planner 2.0, Content/DLC Manager, Bakerloo timetable update, SoS manual fireman, savegame improvments and other things the preservation crew have been working on).

I just hope we don't have the debacle of what we went through when they moved to TSW2 with the mixed messaging and backtracking. Hopefully all the TSW2 DLC makes the cut to TSW3 and not left to rot like how NEC NY was

• Like Like x 1
  38. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

aww i'm jealous TSW3-Editor lol

• Like Like x 1
  39. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Can't blame JD for that one....that was Michael's desktop

• Like Like x 1
  40. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Hmm it seems TSW2 will be leaving Xbox game pass soon. And conveniently it gets removed on a Tuesday. I wonder if thats a clue.

Hopefully some news soon.

• Like Like x 2
  41. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Call me cynical, call me paranoid, call me what you want but I have a sneaky feeling that the original IoW isn't compatible with TSW3 and that is the reasoning behind Island Line 2022

• Like Like x 3
  42. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

eh....I'm not too sure about that tbh, that seems like a bit of a stretch. Their reasoning is that the route is totally different now with the modified platforms to support the new Class 484. I'm sure they will want the old route with the 483 to remain in the game for the historians amongst us

Addding the 483 as DLC for Island Route 2022 wouldn't work either due to the platform height differences

43. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20220721-175053_YouTube.jpg Umm on the stream today at 21:05 in a bunch of icons show up.

On the bottom left are 4 Unreal Icons.

The top 2 both say TSW Editor v4.26 and TSW game v4.26 so that is what version of UE we are currently on.

The bottom 2 clearly say TSW3 editor and TSW3 game.

So again another whoops drop? Or intentional.

Definitely not a typo this time to those who keep saying that it was just a typo.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  44. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Read up...it has been noticed and discussed

• Like Like x 3
  45. tallboy7648

People who watch these streams must have eagle eyes then :)

• Like Like x 4
  46. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the mayo please! Lol

• Like Like x 1
  47. ARuscoe

Can't we have units and locos that number in the hundreds rather than niche units that haven't even done 10000 miles let alone a few million?

48. ARuscoe

Or pause and zoom whenever JD shows his desktop...

49. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Leaks are the new roadmap. An icon on a desktop saying TSW3 is about the same level of information as a roadmap entry saying German Route.

Above the TSW3 icons are TSW 4.26 icons which will have been named as such to distinguish them from the version of TSW2 that was already released at the time while it was still in development. That wasn’t a new game but just the upgrade to 4.26. Nothing more can be gleaned from these desktop items than it being a different version of the game from that which is already released. Only the same speculation as before, that it is a new game rather than the normal upgrade, and all the other speculation that follows on from what a new game may bring, or that it is just another upgrade to TSW2.

I’m sticking with all my predictions for now though, based not only on the limited info from leaks but other factors such as the big lull in DLC releases and the fact that something big needs to happen because there have been too many horrors recently, that this is a new game, but it is just speculation. If it is this summer’s release then it is about time it was announced. Maybe today, maybe next week, but should be before the August roadmap in any case. Speculation is fun but cast iron (or modern plastic) information is better.

• Like Like x 2
  50. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

I suspect there will be an announcement about the announcement soon!!
    Much in the same way the movie industry announces the dates of trailer releases with almost as much hype as the main feature film.

Can't say I'm a fan of the stepped style of publicity

Tha cat is out of the bag to some degree. It may be the case though that it's not definitely happening although in a way no news is good news.....?

• Like Like x 2