Tsw3 - The Cat Is Out Of The Bag & The Unofficial Tsw3 Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Jul 5, 2022.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It’s the briefing where Matt idly strokes his cat….

• Like Like x 4
  2. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The dev chat is interesting now, I missed the word "toggle" first time around, and thought it was sparks that were the TSW3 feature, but now reading it back it sounds like maybe the TSW3 feature is the ability to toggle on and off some of the lighting features. I really hope one of the improvements is to make a lot more settings possible in the menus so people don't have to use ini edits etc.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Good point since everything about it is speculation.

But I'm definitley loving all the speculation and ideas everyone seems to be coming up with. It seems that if TSW3 isn't going to be a major upgrade there will be alot of disappointed people.

I still suspect it will just be everything they are not using to full potential on UE4. And may only be applicable to 9th gen. Since they only promised they would continue support for TSW2 on 8th gen, if they change to TSW3 they aren't lying

Perhaps for the next couple of years the routes they make will be available on both 8th gen versions for TSW2 and 9th gen and PC will get all the little extra features on the routes but will be labelled as TSW3.

They seem to be already pushing the 8th gens to their limits of what can be done.

Or pehaps TSW3 is just a place holder until they finally decide between bunch of names they are considering.

Maybe it will be TSW - the Wrath of Sam.

Oh wait that should of been TSW2

TSW - the Search for Matt.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

What I would do if I were JD is create a TSW4 folder under the 4.26 and TSW3 ones and then whip the camera by again, just for fun.

• Like Like x 3
  5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

So basically no roadmap streams at all then?

Don't get me wrong. I agree that the roadmap streams have sort of become pointless to an extent since nothing new is really announced and there usually isn't any real indication on what fixes are being worked on other than what is already been listed again and again. But what would you suggest if these streams were gone that should replace it. Bi-Weekly Q&A streams?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I'm not against having Q&A streams, my post was more directed at the written monthly roadmaps. They seem to be not much more than a depository for interviews and information that could be served just as well as seperate DTL articles.

The roadmap part is just pointless if all we are seeing there are generic terms such as 'German Route' or 'US Route' and things they are actually working on arent on there.

• Like Like x 8
  7. bakedpotatos.jm

They used to be better thats for sure but with JD saying that the Roadmap is not the place for big announcments I doubt that any TSW3 announcment will come that way.

As well as what the "German" or "US" routes will ultimately be.

The Roadmap has become mundane with just articles nowadays that they don't seem to release otherwise. Very confusing because you could give us all this info with one or two articles a week.

And the streams just seem to be apologetic and here is what were going to do about it for the next month, very repetitive. No new news on anything and when it gets brought up on the chat we get the same answer, the Roadmap is not a place to announce new products.

So I say toss it and just give us more articles and who cares replace the stream with a Creators club stream that they drive a scenario from Creators Club.

Or just a good old fashioned once a month Matt plays stream for 2-3 hours. I miss those.

Anything but another round of these painful roadmap streams that just repeat the same stuff over and over.

Hey the bi weekly bug fixes were great too but what happend to those?

Edit: JD is great on the streams and I don't mean any offence to him. I love it when you can see how genuinely excited he gets at times. Its more the content of the Roadmap streams just seem to have turned to be more depressing than anything over the last several months.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  8. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I genuinely miss the Sam and Matt show. Time moves on but they were the best funniest streams by far…..

Bring back the humour.

• Like Like x 12
  9. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I agree, they made the decision but now it's just dragging on. How long has the German and US route been on the roadmap, 3/4 months..? Not being funny but I think the excuse was they don't want to say it's from X to Y and then have to scale it back (which is fair enough). But by now I'm sure they'll know where it'll start and end and are just waiting on the right time to announce more details (see below).

I'm sure we'll see an unnamed UK route soon which will complete the trio for the Summer update & those three routes will be announced in an article away from the roadmap.

• Like Like x 4
  10. bakedpotatos.jm

Watching Matts streams to see how happy he is driving his train was just so honest and fun.

Sam just added the spice and took it to a new level.

But that was why I first bought the game. I wanted to be that happy. And I am.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Last night I played Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order on PS4.
    The intro says, this game uses Unreal Engine.
    This gave me the shivers but anything went nice and smoothly.
    What does this mean to us?
    1. They are already using UE5?
    2. They know how to optimize a game for a Gen8 console?
    3. Absolutely nothing.

12. bakedpotatos.jm

Actually that game is old and came out before 9th gen consoles. It was released 2019.

And it uses an older version of UE4 than TSW uses I believe. But a great game none the less.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Unreal Engine shader compilation stutter is also significantly worse in DX12, Fallen Order, due to its age, is a DX11 game and so does not have the same issues as something like Elden Ring.

• Like Like x 1
  14. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Here my personal guess:

TSW3 will still be based on the UE4 engine, but will get a "massive" core update. This means all tsw2 content is still playable.

Either way, i hope the modders will update their creations, because they add a huge part to TSWs immersion.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Not on PS4. There it works like a charm. Nice and smoothly. I guess DirectX is not known in this world.

• Like Like x 1
  16. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

But it isn't the same route. A lot of work went into the route, it's modernised and defintively not the same as the first IOW release.

Except, it IS a Loco DLC. With the huge plus of coming with it's own route for like additional 3 Euros. Normally loco DLCs need a base route. This one brought it's base route with itself. It's a small, yet important difference.

Also: IOW is a Rivet product. So I doubt it fair to call DTG "greedy, anti-consumer" (whatever anti-consumer means), when that's not even their product.

Well, the 182 at least got a big physics update, also a new livery (same for the blue 363). If the alternative for Hamburg-Lübeck would be 112+dostos and no freight at all, i'd rather have a second 182 for the freight operation. The 363 has been our only german shunting loco for a long time. If the alternative is no shunting at all, i'd rather have a second 363.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I apologise as I responded in a pretty awful way, I am rewriting my response.

Ok, so I will try to explain again what is my problem with it.

The fact that the route is the same (with some big differences) is not a problem to me.

A Loco DLC, is an additional locomotive that is layered on an existing route. This is a route DLC, if you buy IoW 2022 you get a route and a train, the only quirk being that the route is already in the game.

So, my problem with it is the lack of transparency regarding this release. There was a video made by Rivet that "leaked" the 484 months ago, and given the nature of this release, the MOMENT they knew they would package this DLC the way they did, they needed to make clear to any potential IoW customer: "Hey, in a few months time you can get the Isle of Wight Route set in 2022 with different signalling and a different passing loop and it will cost less than the old DLC, so if you wanted to buy IoW, you might want to wait for that release". Not only this wasn't done, the DLC was misleadingly labelled as a Loco DLC, so there could potentially be people that wanted the 484, and maybe that are not as well versed on how TSW works that bought IoW to then get the Class 484, there might have been people that don't care wether or not the route is set before or after the transition to the 484, bought the route a few days before the first announcement of the IoW 2022 was made, and basically got the DLC they wanted for extra price for no reason.

The problem is not the DLC itself, but how and when it was announced, and the price. It makes no sense that it costs less than the old one, the proper way to do it would have been to price it like IoW and offer a discount to the old IoW owners. And yes, I know it's probably not possible with xbox and PS, but still, a better solution should have been found. That's why I say DTG is at fault.

The 363 and 182 are an acceptable compromise, what should have actually happen was to have a completely new and different shunter and freight loco , but I get it, they don't always have the time and resources to do that... so I can accept this compromise, but it's still not ideal, it would have been better for the RT BR182 customers to have HHL come with a BR185 while the BR182 would have got a free upgrade and layered on HHL... but I guess this take would not be shared by anyone who hasn't bought the RT BR182, and would have made them less profit.

• Like Like x 2
  18. matinakbary

Thank you for you constructive and thoughtful answer. Appreciate that!

• Like Like x 1
  19. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Hmmm... it's hard to detect sarcasm through written text, I also mentioned some points you raised in my response.

In case it wasn't sarcastic then... we're good hopefully it made more sense.

20. Princess Entrapta

So often a thing you see in ports from console to PC of games designed for say, PS4 first, like Detroit, have a half hour or so shader compilation phase prior to getting to the main menu the first time you run them. this is because on standardised hardware like a Playstation or XBox, you can often precompile the shaders easily in advance and have it all ready to go out of the box. Whereas on PC it needs to configure it for your hardware. that 30 minute wait to play a game (which shows up again if you do things like updating your graphics drivers) is generally shied away from by developers designing PC games rather than porting them from console where they may not have a choice but to do so.

Fallen Order, being designed for the limited capabilities of last gen consoles, also has workarounds for a lot of issues with slow loading of stuff, like the sections where you move through narrow gaps very slowly as it loads the next area.

21. Princess Entrapta

Meanwhile, if they framed it that way, those of us who care about achievements would feel cheated when it came out as a loco DLC with none.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

You have a point in principle, I'll give you that. But in practical terms it was fine for me because I paid $20.69 for Island Line 2022 which is very close to the normal price of $19.99 for a new loco dlc. So I got the updated route for 70¢ which is close to free.
    When you're in the store shopping, it's always a practical, money matter, isn't it?
    Some, perhaps many, people thought that " New Journeys " should have been less expensive or even free, because it contained no new locos or routes. But any new content, even repaints, have almost never been free in either TSC* or TSW. It takes work to upgrade textures, repaint or write a new timetable and that work has to be paid for.
    So, Island Line 2022 was unusual because it was virtually a free route upgrade. That's how I see it, anyway.

* I know that there is free content in Workshop, but that's not DTG product.

• Like Like x 2
  23. matinakbary

No sarcasm! I am always happy to read constructive explanations :)

• Like Like x 1
  24. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Well... why not add that it doesn't come with achievements at the end. That's exactly my point, given the fact this release was going to be different from the othets they needed to get an article as early as possible explaining all the quirks of this unusual release.

25. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Ditto the Eastern Region/East Anglia. Nothing there yet (Saltburn to Darlington is North Eastern Region to all us southerners).

26. bakedpotatos.jm

My thought was they called this a loco DLC because they were not adding achievements. And as they said back in November loco DLC will not have acheivments. So that is the reasoning I can see.

Also say they didn't upgrade the route and released just the 484. People would be up in arms because the platforms wouldn't fit and we are missing a passing loop. So Rivets hands were tied to upgrading the route.

At the same time say they were making the 482 instead and juat released that loco. In that case the loco DLC would of been married to the old IOW route anyways and you would of had to buy the old route and the loco DLC, spending even more.

These are why I have no issues with how it was released, and the fact Rivet wasn't pushing the old IOW on to people seems like good customer service to me.

• Like Like x 3
  27. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Have you noticed how DTG have virtually eliminated customer feedback, it used to be every two weeks now it is 10 mins every month if we are lucky and then the questions are cherry picked and have to follow a certain narrative. The roadmap does mean much so I don't put a lot of faith in that but if there was a Q&A bi weekly where players could ask questions of their own choosing or taken from the forum there would be a lot more faith in their product assuming they would answer those questions honestly apart from the ones about dates and such.

Trouble with Matt is that he wants to please and so we get misinformation sometimes. And don't be fooled by Sam, he is 100% DTG and has rehearsed what he is going to say with all the others including Matt. He likes to appear on the players side but he isn't not really, imho anyway.

I used to watch the all the streams but now find it hard to stay awake, there doesn't seem to be any personality for me but saying that CAT is good. I have watch her Livery stream and have no interest in that whatsoever but CAT is pleasant to listen to and has a sense of humour to boot, imo she beats all the others on DTG.

The 'British Ace' is also good. I know he is an 'Ambassador' whatever that means but he is pleasant to listen too and he can play the game with his eyes shut. I still can't understand why DTG isn't making use of him doing tutorials, he would be awesome.

• Like Like x 6
  28. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

We will see what happens over the next few weeks and months. With TSW2 leaving gamepass on the 16th of August, I hope we will get an announcment of some kind before then. That or it was just a timed deal and alot of people will lose access to it if they dont replace it with something.

• Like Like x 1
  29. jiroo#5329

jiroo#5329 Member

Now this is going too far for me. Last night I had a dream where Matt was streaming and in the main menu showed "accidentally" a route called "Clapham Junction Network". It had the Blue Pullman HST on the cover and later Class 25 flashed in the scenario planner. It doesn't make any sense :cool:

• Like Like x 6
  30. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

The silence is a little unusual. I commented elsewhere I am not a fan of stepped advertising but we are now approaching a road map with virtually no DLC even to talk about yet. Usually the PR guys have dropped a "tune into next week for something big" by now. I am not convinced that anything is certain and stand by my thoughts that SoS was a watershed event. Even if sales and feedback was good if the Boss of the company doesn't like it then we could see a radical direction change!

• Like Like x 3
  31. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Remember the roadmap update which told us there will be no roadmap update..? We're heading that way again ;)

They'll pad it out with a pointless article or two again.

• Like Like x 9
  32. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

A week is a long time in politics. We are a whole week away from the roadmap. That’s plenty of time for an announcement or an article or at least a promise to explain what TSW3 is in relation to our questions if it isn’t actually this year’s annual update. If it is this year’s annual update, whether a new game or just a core update, then we can fully expect an announcement before next week’s roadmap because of the timing of it.

• Like Like x 3
  33. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I disagree. I don't think anything is going to happen between now and next weeks roadmap. Whenever DTG have done a big reveal in previous years, there has always been an 'announcement announcing the announcement', usually with a large DD.MM.YYYY format on the loading screens. For something as big as TSW3, I can't see them just 'announcing' it without generating hype first.

I think next weeks roadmap will be the same as usual. If we are lucky we'll find out a bit more about the US and German routes in development and maybe something UK based will be added.

• Like Like x 4
  34. Crosstie

If there is no major announcement soon, there will be an enormous " whoosh " coming from the TSW community, which will be the sound of widespread balloon deflation.
    What would we do for the rest of the summer?
    Last year we made summer last all the way through October.
    Will last year's " Indian Summer " become this year's " Winter Of Our Discontent "?
    Time is running out.

• Like Like x 8
  35. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Agreed, the last few weeks have been nothing but Pringles & Steam documentaries.

Something relevant would be nice.

• Like Like x 6
  36. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I haven't watched a full stream in weeks. Lately when the schedule has been released I've had a "ah ok" moment rather than an "oooh interesting"

• Like Like x 9
  37. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

I'm seeing a TSW3 front screen, there's an Aventra (Class 720), a DB class 429 and a Brightline SCB-40 locomotive.
    I'm seeing palm trees (Southend), more palm trees (Florida or possibly more from Southend) and Sassnitz beach.
    So, C2C or GA Crouch Valley. Florida Brightline and Sassnitz to the mainland.

All wild stabs in the dark, A "Summer Holiday" theme for TSW3.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  38. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

If Matt appears in your dreams you should take a step back from TSW :D

• Like Like x 13
  39. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

You’d have to be pretty desperate to spend a week at Southend! Clacton maybe or further north Skegness, Scarborough or Whitby. Though not so many palm trees that far north. Maybe they will do the famous Bermuda Railway, that had plenty of palm trees or the railway that ran on Barbados. “I’m goin’ to Barbados, la la la…”

Time for my medicine.

• Like Like x 4
  40. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Theres palm trees up near Oban at Arduaine, perhaps we will get the Oban to Crianlarich line.

41. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Could be worse it could of been Sam! :(:(:(:(:(:(

Just playing Devil's advocate, what if there is no TSW3? What have DTG been doing?

• Like Like x 2
  42. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I had a similar dream where I saw a ScotRail class 170 pulling into (a fairly empty) Inverness station. The thing is, it was totally TSW graphics, that polished was it all is. Then it cut to Matt and Sam talking about the route on a preview stream.
    It was a couple of days before the roadmap, the month after "British Route" (later revealed as steam) showed up.

• Like Like x 3
  43. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Is it me, or has it gone completely dead in regards to bug/content fixes? SOS is particular still has some glaring issues with it, yet its hype and mention died down very quickly. Though are you surprised with how dead the route feels?

There’s not even any mention or talk from DTG in regards to what they are currently fixing. All we seem to get now is articles about interviews from x, y & z person(s), advertisements and/or visiting x preserved railway. Basically all promo stuff and nothing actually about what’s upcoming for TSW.

I knew they talked about having a ‘down time’ but we are really being left in the dark in regards to what’s going on.

• Like Like x 8
  44. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this in a couple of threads. It probably comes across worse than the usual fire and forget because we were specifically told some of the fixes they pushed through to meet the release deadline were then continuing to be worked on, like the firing arrangements.

And yes, the more I play it the more "dead" and occasionally outright odd some things are. Whether it's the station at Crewe which still looks weird, like a HO building on a OO layout (the footbridge at the north end seems taller than the canopy) or other little things you start to notice. Ah yes, talking of Crewe arrived on the express run from Liverpool for Euston which gets there about 1236 (I was running late as the Jubilee can't keep to the Pendolino times they're using). There were a grand total of about six passengers waiting to board my train and the rest of the station was deserted! FGS, it's Crewe, major junction and interchange point. In 1958 the platform should have been two or three deep with people waiting to board a train for London, the service wasn't that frequent in those days. No station staff just seemed like a ghost town.

• Like Like x 8
  45. zappatime

zappatime Well-Known Member

Maybe a bit of restructuring of their design teams has been going off in the background recently, tied to the start of their new QA/testing leader. Perhaps TSW3 will be a revised version release featuring the new US and German proposed routes together with an updated/bug fixed SoS (sorted out firemen, etc) and that has been supplemented with additional local services and Jinty/2MT type locos - with all TSW2 owners getting the core and (if already owned) the SoS fixes, but without the addon local services and stock.

• Like Like x 1
  46. rjeeves#3580

rjeeves#3580 Active Member

Did anybody catch the 8 up tonight. At 1:15:14 Sam had a little chukle at JD's expense re TSW3. Cat said they need to come up with a code name and Sam replied "it's too late for that now"..

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  47. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Frankly it is too late to try to hide it now.

• Like Like x 2
  48. Crosstie

The " Rush Hour " feature didn't last long, did it? Will we ever see it again?

• Like Like x 1
  49. bakedpotatos.jm

No it's not just you I feel the same.

It feels like last year when they held back on releases before the big upgrade just to not have anything redundant in there that may break when the upgrade is done.

Which makes sense if your about to release an update no point in testing on the old version and possibly double the work.

50. bakedpotatos.jm

It is still there and released on all the routes.

The main Rush hour features was more passengers on the platform during typical peak hours. And asides from SOS and BML they all have that feature.