What Steam Routes Would You Like To See Come To Tsw3?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by WonterRail, Jul 9, 2022.

1. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

Okay, time to see how this goes down with everyone.

To give a bit of an introduction to this route, around this time last year, I posted up a thread on this part of the forum that was the final part of a series of thread that I wrote in the build up to the release of the Rush Hour routes. I had already written two threads about what to expect of those routes and how to improve the timetables on the existing routes, but in the final part, I talked about a bunch of routes, that are not currently in TSW2, that had to potential to be a great 'Rush Hour' route, featuring routes that ranged from being already available in TS Classic, to those that are highly suggested by the community. I would list down a couple of the more promising ones, talk about them in brief detail about what they would be, what locos could come with them and more, and at the end of it, I put up a poll which had all of those routes featured where you could vote for which of those routes you would most like to see in TSW2. This is something that to this day, I am still incredibly proud of, and I really enjoyed, not only writing that thread, but also seeing the results of the poll that came out of it, and later writing more in-depth suggestions on the routes themselves, starting with the most voted on routes and hopefully one day, ending with the least voted on routes (something that is still ongoing to this day).

Which leads me onto this thread, as the original plan of this was to do same as that thread, but replace the subject of 'Rush Hour' routes with steam routes, asking about what steam routes could come to TSW in the future? Especially after we have just had our first steam route, in the form of Liverpool Lime Street – Crewe 1958. It would of followed a similar pattern to that thread in which I talk about a bunch of potential steam routes for TSW, ranging from those already available in TS Classic to those highly requested by community, and then put them up in a poll for you all to vote for which of those routes you would most want to see come to TSW. I'm sure it would have been just as enjoyable as the Rush Hour thread was, but there was just one problem.

Ever since that thread got made a year ago, the poll feature has been disabled from this forum, for reasons that I completely understand may I add. But this did throw a wretch into this as I couldn't take all the route I wanted to talk about a put them in a poll like I did last time. I could of used another poll site to do it on, but I thought for the best not to do that and it seemed like this whole thing was dead right there. Until I had this thought...

...you see, that thread from last year, that was just routes that I personally thought would be great for TSW. What about you lot on this forum? What do you want to see come to TSW one day?

...and that's what this thread is now about. This is a place where you can write down about what steam routes that you want to see come to TSW. All you have to do is just write down what steam route you what to see in the replies here, and I'll leave a link to each suggestion here on the first post here so that all these suggestions can be accessed easily, kinda like a log of all the steam route that people have suggested for TSW. Now before we begin, I do want to set some rules for anyone who wants to suggest a route on this thread, these are:

1. Don't just say 'I want to see this route', give details about the route in question. It might be a great route that you are suggesting, but tell me more about it. Don't just say you want to see it, tell me stuff like.
    • Where does the route go to and from
    • What time-frame is the route set in?
    • Are there any branches on this route?
    • What locos could come with the route? (Giving details on rolling stock like coaches and wagons is optional).
    I'm not asking for tons of detail, I just want enough to tell me about what the route you're suggesting could offer.

2. If you want to make more than one suggestion here, that's fine, but I will outline two things.
    • Only make one suggestion per post on this thread. This is just for the sake of making this thread work, and I don't want one post filled with dozens of route suggestions (I know I did that with the 'Rush Hour thread last year, but that's besides the point).
    • Please wait until another person has posted after you to make another suggestion here. This is so I don't end up with one person just constantly filling the thread with routes they want to see. At least try to give other people a chance here.
    3. I'm not going to subject you to the rules that I abided to with my suggestions like having routes come with only one new loco and the rest are reused, or limiting routes to below 100 miles. But what I will say is please try to reasonable and realistic with you're suggestions. What I mean by this is don't come here and start suggesting routes that are a billion miles long and would take many years to make. Like, at least try to be realistic to want could be made for TSW. But I will also say that, If you want to suggest a route form outside the three core countries we go too, then I'm completely okay with that.

4. Once one route has been suggested, it cannot be suggested again here. This to prevent the same route being spam multiple times here. But I will allow routes that start from the same start/end point, if the route leads to a different start/end point. (For example, If one route is Reading to Oxford, you can suggest another route that is Reading to Newbury. Not the best examples I know, but hopefully you get the point).

Now don't worry, if you are a bit stuck with what to do here, I will leave down an example suggestion down below for everyone to follow, as I do have one steam route that I would personally like to see in this game more than anything else. I will also leave down below a link to each suggestion that has been made on this thread so that they can easily accessed from the first post (and don't worry, I will remember to give you credit for the steam route that you have suggested).

List of steam routes that have been suggested on this thread

1. South Western Main Line Late 40s/Early 50s: SouthamptonWeymouth (Suggested by Myself)
    2. N&W Pocahontas Division 1955: St PaulHonaker (Suggested by Steamfan#1309) Follow link on post for more details.
    3. Somerset & Dorset Line 1961: Bath Green ParkTemplecombe (Suggested by OldVern)
    4. Great Central Main Line Mid/Late 50s: AnnesleyWoodford Halse (Suggested by OldVern)
    5. Marshall Pass Late 1940s: SalidaSargant (Suggested by Challenger3985)
    Fairford Branch Line Early/Mid 50s: OxfordFairford (Suggested by OldVern)
    7. Southern Pacific Post WWII: Oakland MoleMartinez (Suggested by Blacknred81)
    8. Black Canyon (Cerro Summit) 1940s: GunnisonCimarron (Suggested by Challenger3985)
    Elbtalbahn 1950s: DresdenDěčín (Suggested by Myself)
    10. East Lincolnshire Line Early 50s: BostonGrimsby (Suggested by matt#4801)
    11. Strasburg Railroad Modern: East StrasburgLeaman Place (Suggested by mlouie100)
    12. West Highland Line Modern (Steam Loco Included): Fort WilliamMallaig (Suggested by sa14duffyn)
    13. BambergHof Railway 1950s-1970s (Suggested by driverwoods#1787)
    14. DM&IR Iron Range Division 1953: ProctorTower (Suggested by max#3831)
    15. Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (Suggested by jedi247)
    16. Kent & East Sussex Railway Early 1950s: HeadcornRobertsbridge (Suggested by Myself)
    17. ATSF Raton Pass 1940s-50s: RatonTrinidad (Suggested by jedi247)
    18. Isle of Wight Steam Railway Modern: Smallbrook JunctionWootton (Suggested by d.heal)
    19. Sherman Hill Steam-Era (Either 1870s or 1940s/50s): CheyenneLaramie (Suggested by jedi247)
    20. Weißeritztalbahn Modern: Freital-Hainsburg–Kurort Kipsdorf (Suggested by Myself)
    21. Stratford-upon-Avon & Midland Junction Railway Late 40s: BlisworthStratford-upon-Avon (Suggested by OldVern)
    22. South Wales Main Line Pre-1964: SwanseaNeyland (Suggested by IsambardKingdomBrunel)
    23. Lößnitzgrundbahn Modern: Radebeul Ost–Radeburg (Suggested by Myself)
    24. Cambrian Line Late 50s/Early 60s: Machynlleth–Aberystwyth or Pwllheli (Suggested by trainsmad1812)
    25. Cornish Main Line 1940s/50s (Suggested by Rail Runner)
    26. Pere Marquette Route 1945: DetriotLansing (Suggested by theozzmanishere)
    27. Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railway Modern: Blaenau Ffestiniog–Caernarfon (Suggested by eldomtom2)
    28. Döllnitzbahn Modern: Oschatz–Glossen (Suggested by Myself)
    29. Central Railroad of New Jersey 1930s-1950s: Raritan–Allentown (Suggested by driverwoods#1787)
    30. PR Horseshoe Curve 1940s/50s: Altoona–Johnstown & South Fork (Suggested by jedi247)
    31. Outeniqua Choo Tjoe Pre-2006: George–Knysna (Suggested by Myself)
    32. SP Donner Pass 1950s: Roseville–Reno (Suggested by jedi247)
    33. Spirit of Steam: Salisbury–Verwood 1940s (Suggested by tft6439)
    34. Leipzig–Dresden Railway 1970s-1990s (Suggested by driverwoods#1787)
    35. Grand Canyon Railway Early 2000s: Williams–South Rim (Suggested by mlouie100)
    36. The Waverley Route 1950s: Carlisle–Edinburgh (Suggested by tranquil#5345)
    37. Little River Railroad 2007-2017: Coldwater–Hillsdale (Suggested by theozzmanishere)
    38. North Yorkshire Moors Railway 2008: Whitby–Pickering (Suggested by lucasfor49)
    39. Cass Scenic Railroad Modern: Cass–Durbin, Bald Knob & Elkins (Suggested by tornado811)
    40. Ōigawa Railway Modren: Kanaya–Senzu (Suggested by mlouie100)
    41. Oxted & Groombridge Line 1961: London Victoria–Lewes via Eridge (Suggested by dangerousdave)
    42. NYC Water-Level Route: New YorkAlbany 1950s (Suggested by jedi247)
    43. Black River & Western Railroad Modern: Flemington–Ringoes (Suggested by mlouie100)
    44. Northwestern Pacific South End 1910-1941: Santa Rosa & Schellvile–Sausalito & Tiburon (Suggested by Adam Palmer)
    45. Moselstrecke Koblenz – Wittlich (– Trier) 1970/71 (Suggested by jolojonasgames)
    46. N&W Roanoke–Lynchburg 1945-1950 (Suggested by steamfan#1309)
    47. Mary Valley Railway 1950s: Gympie–Brooloo (Suggested by jackmiller1234567890) Follow link on post for more details.
    48. Beaudesert Railway Line 1920: Bethania–Beaudesert (Suggested by jackmiller1234567890) Follow link on post for more details.
    49. North Australian Railway 1944: Darwin–Birdum (Suggested by jackmiller1234567890) Follow link on post for more details.
    50. Main Line Railway 1950: Brisbane–Toowoomba (Suggested by jackmiller1234567890) Follow link on post for more details.
    51. Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway 1950s: South Lynn & Cromer–Yarmouth & Norwich (Suggested by royalscot#3684)
    52. New Hope & Ivyland Railroad Modern: New Hope–Warrington (Suggested by mlouie100)
    53. Isle of Wight Network 1950s (Suggested by lockietardis458)

So I guess without further ado, what are waiting for? Let's see what steam routes we can come up here on this thread!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  2. WonterRail

So here is my steam route suggestion for anyone looking for ideas for what to write here.

South Western Main Line Late 40s/Early 50s: Southampton–Weymouth

This route is pretty close to my heart as it's my local route that I have lived next too for over 20 years. But with a steam twist as it's set during the early days of BR and therefore, would feature sections that are no longer in existence today. While the route would of course be the main line between Southampton Central and Weymouth via Bournemouth & Poole, you would also have the section down to the old Southampton Terminus Station, as well as the whole dockyard area and Northam Engine Sheds. But the big area of interest is the so-called 'Castleman's Corkscrew', named after the man who built it (Charles Castleman), this was an alternative route that was the first railway line to be built in the area that took a more meandering route via Ringwood and Wimbourne (hence the corkscrew in the name) on it's way to Dorchester, as part of an route that would have gone to Exeter, before eventually went south to Weymouth instead. This section is long gone (closed to passengers in 1964, and eventually the last section for freight in 1977) but with this route being set in the Late 40s/Early 50s, I couldn't resist the temptation to not include that section here on this route suggestion. I also envision this route coming with the Lymington Branch Line, which also had an addition station at the time in the form of Ampress Works Halt.

The locos I envision for this route are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. You first have the SR Unrebuilt Bulleid Light Pacific Class 4-6-2 in BR Green, complete with with the exterior air-smoothed casing and chain-driven valve gear, which would operate express and semi-fast services between Southampton and Weymouth (either via Bournemouth or Ringwood). On the other end of the scale, you have the LSWR M7 Class 0-4-4T in BR Black, operating commuter trains across various sections of the route using vintage LSWR push-pull carriages. It also worth mentioning that both locos would display the early BR emblem on either side of each loco, whether that would be on the tender in the case of the Bulleid pacifics, or on the side-tanks in the case of the M7's.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  3. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

Pocahontas division N&W

4. WonterRail

I'm afarid that I'll need more than that.

Don't get me wrong, it's probably a good route you're suggesting, but give me more details like:
    • Where does the route go to and from?
    • What time-frame is that route set in?
    • Are there any branches on this route?
    • What locos could come with that route? (Giving details on rolling stock like coaches and wagons is optional).
    I'm not asking for tons of detail, I just want enough to tell me about what the route you're suggesting could offer.

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Somerset and Dorset Line - Bath Green Park to Templecombe which is around 37 miles. The full line ran through to Bournemouth West but maybe too long at 71 miles.

Time period 1961, before the line was run down and still saw lots of holiday traffic on summer Saturdays, including the Pines Express.

Initial locos included would be BR Standard 9F 2-10-0 and the unique S&D 8F 53xxx series locos. Scope for many more including BR Standard 4MT and 5MT tender locos, Black Fives, 2P 4-4-0's and 4F 0-6-0's as well as various tank engines. Oh and Bulleid Light Pacifics were a common sight on expresses too usually requiring a pilot engine in both directions over the Mendips.

In terms of branch lines, at Bath Jn just beyond Green Park the main line diverged towards Bristol and the North via Mangotsfield. There was also a cross country branch from Evercreech Jn to Highbridge on the Somerset coast.

Loads of reference material for this route which was one of the most iconic steam runs in the country. Very scenic. One of the original Kuju Rail Simulator routes and has stood the test of time. Worth venturing over to TSC and giving it a drive, to get the vibe. Would sell like hot cakes and still surprised it wasn't chosen as the first attempt at a steam route in TSW.

(Edited to correct distances and add more information).

• Like Like x 2
  6. steamfan#1309

I have to post the link to my thread that specifically gives location engine, milage (kilometers), services

7. steamfan#1309

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

(Part Of) Great Central Main Line
    The entire route stretched from Marylebone to Manchester and included the section across Woodhead. My proposal is for the more southerly section - Annesley (Notts) to Woodford Halse (Northants). Total around 65 miles, if too long then curtail at Nottingham Victoria to give around 50 miles.

Time period mid to late 50's before the line was run down. Motive power was a rich variety but one of the principal traffic flows was the "Windcutter" fast freights from Annesley to Woodford which were hauled by 9F's. Passenger services take your pick - BR Standard classes, various LNER express locos (a V2 perhaps), A1's.

Some reasonable scenery from rural Northants with numerous viaducts and the famous Catesby Tunnel, the "birdcage" bridge over the WCML at Rugby, to the big cities of Leicester, Loughborough and Nottingham.

Another route that has plenty of documentation available to assist with building.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Marshall Pass:
    [Edit: additional info for why]

Was once the original narrow gauge mainline heading west to Grande Junction and Utah before Tennessee Pass and Moffat Road. This route goes from Salida to Gunnison, and while it's over 73 miles from end to end, the closest to work in the development limit is ending at Sargent (which is roughly at 40 miles of track and the only part of the section with the named pass in between them).

Timeline wise, while the narrow gauge did exist for the Rio Grande since the 1870s, but the closest to fit the time period for this would be the late 1940s (after WWII) for sure. Before the line was abandoned and removed from existence in the early 1950s.

And there are a few branches that were made along the line, however with this purposed section, the Moarch Branch from Poncha to Monarch (15.3 miles) is the only branch on this end, before converted to standard gauge in 1956. While other branches are near Gunninson (the Baldwin Branch and the Crested Butte Branch).

And lastly, for the locos, there's no denying that the 2-8-2 K series (K-27, K-28, K-36, K-37) would fit well on this route before DRGW abandoned narrow gauge altogether. Not to mention a good mix of passenger and freight on the line too, so they are an ideal candidate indeed.

Now, the reason for this line is, well, there haven't been that many narrow gauge routes made for a train sim, let alone the many lines that are abandoned in the US. Which, resource wise, would make sense as not many have surviving track and structures these days. And since Milepost is doing another narrow gauge route for TSC (which looking like it's on the RGS mainline), though I would find a route that would be different and suitable for a steam era of the Rio Grande to make it work (and not to be modern like Cumbres & Toltec or Durango & Silverton).

• Like Like x 1
  10. WonterRail

This is the post that I have linked your suggestion too at the top and I'll leave a comment next to the suggestion telling people to click on that link to access more details about the route.

Appreciate the contribution here, but can you please only make one route suggestion per post here. I recommend moving the bottom suggestion there into a seperate post (which you can do now since someone has just made a suggestion below you). The top suggestion you can leave where it is.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. OldVern

(Moved to separate post)
    Oxford to Fairford @ 25 miles

The Fairford Branch Line - Introduction

This would add an iconic GWR branch line to the collection. Anyone who recalls the model railway scene from the 1960's/70's will be aware of the obsession with GWR branch line modelling and the Fairford branch cropped up quite regularly. Although services ran through to and from Oxford, the branch proper diverged from the Worcester main line at Yarnton Jn., running across fields and flood plains to Fairford in Gloucestershire. Fair bit of interest en route though with the large yard at Yarnton which was primarily used to stage trains coming off the line from Bletchley and going on to South Wales via Worcester and vv. Witney had the rail served blanket factory and the line passed adjacent to Brize Norton airfield. At the Oxford end it would be essential to include the yards at Hinksey to accommodate the outgoing and returning branch freights.

Era early to mid 1950's.

Loco wise most trains were worked by 57xx or 74xxPannier tanks, an absolute must for TSW steam! 2251 0-6-0 tender locos could also be seen on freight workings. The line had a "yellow" restriction so generally only lighter class of loco were permitted.

I think this could be an interesting line to operate, anything GWR is going to sell like a hot cake and the branch line pace but not subject to heritage line speed limits would make a nice change.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Southern Pacific: Oakland Mole to Martinez
    This route would cover Southern Pacific's Western terminus for their passenger trains at the old Oakland Mole, to where SP's lines split in Martinez, CA. Which is roughly about 30 miles. Era would be post WW2.

I originally made this suggestion for TSC, but a bit longer. However, cutting it back to Martinez puts it in TSW2's
    mileage range.
    The route did serve Southern Pacific's Shasta Daylight and San Joaquin Daylight, as well as the jointly operated Overland Route. One of the major industries along the line is the C&H Sugar Mill, located at Crockett.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The route could also extend to include the Martinez-
    Benicia Bridge
    [​IMG]

Stock wise could be a bit difficult to choose at least 2 locos, but possible locos would be the following

SP S-Class 0-6-0 Switching
    [​IMG]

SP Pacific Class 4-6-2 Local
    [​IMG]

SP Mountain Class 4-8-2 Passenger and Freight
    [​IMG]

SP GS Class 4-8-4 Passenger and Freight
    [​IMG]

SP AC10-AC12 Cab Foward 4-8-8-2 Passenger and Freight
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  13. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Black Canyon (aka Cerro Summit):

The second part of the narrow gauge main line after Marshall Pass that's heading west to Utah. Starting from Gunninson to Montrose, which is 62.9 miles, this section will be from Gunninson to Cimarron (roughly 40 miles), where it will follow the Gunninson River through the Black Canyon and with a Crystal Creek Bridge (aka Cimarron Canyon Trestle) at Cimarron River to include.

As with Marshall Pass, the year would be the same sometime around the 1940s, right before the line was abandoned from 1949 and tracks were removed afterwards.

Besides Gunninson having a few branch lines (Baldwin Branch [18 miles] and Crested Butte Branch [32 miles]), there were a few on this line as well, but they were gone before the time range I've chosen, unfortunately. But doesn't mean they have good services on these branch lines.

Lastly, I would also pick the 2-8-2 K Series for this line as well, but I've thought might as well add another class to make variety out of both of the routes. Which the second candidate is mostly the 2-8-0s (C-16, C-18, C-19, C-21, C-25) that would also fit well, even for both freights and passengers to run with.

And there you go, two narrow gauge options on two different sections from two different routes. And I'm sure either of them would both be fitting for a narrow gauge route in Colorado. Might be a shot in the dark, but it will be worth it for some Rio Grande Steam action back in the old days before narrow gauge was lost to time.

• Like Like x 3
  14. WonterRail

Seems like this is going well so far, so it's time I threw another route suggestion here, and since we've had quite a few UK & USA routes so far, it's time for something German.

Elbtalbahn 1950s: Dresden–Děčín

Admittedly, I couldn't find much out about this route, but by putting it up here, it might get some more ideas on how to improve this suggestion further. But bascially, this route focusing on the last route out of Dresden that hasn't been adapted for TSW yet, which is the line heading east towards and across the border with the Czech Republic, while following the path of the Elbe river for most of the way. this route would also come with the massive yard at Friedrichstadt and the old engine sheds at Altstadt in order to expand the area around Dresden during the time the route is set in. The setting of the 1950s is after the double-track section between Dresden and Schöna was restored, having been single tracked for a time after the second world war, and when services were gradually being reintroduced and increased on this route.

For locos, I only have one for now, which is the DR BR 52 'Kriegsloks' 2-10-0. This would take charge of all sorts of services, from long-distance passenger to freight operations, with many of these services either crossing the border in the Czech Republic, or terminating short at Schöna.

That's all I could find about this route, but if I anything else about it, I'll be sure to add them to this suggestion.

• Like Like x 2
  15. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I am suggesting the East Lincolnshire Line in Lincolnshire. The East Lincolnshire line was a railway which ran through Lincolnshire between Boston and Grimsby. It runs for approximately 48 miles across the pleasant Lincolnshire countryside and will really help to fill in another part of England missing from TSW. Along with the double tracked mainline I think the branch to Skegness should be included as it adds approximately 10 miles to the route taking the mileage overall up to about 58 miles. However there are other branches which could be included instead.The route would be set in the early 50s before the roof at Louth station was removed. The locos I think that should be included are the LNER V2s and LNER B1s. Both of these locos provide a good starting point for both the passenger services and the freight ( V2s were known for working the fish vans) as they are both versatile and will operate both types of train. The rolling stock used would be LNER teaks as mk1s were introduced in about 51 (if my memory serves me right) and so wouldn't really be as common as what they became but also the teaks are just beautiful coaches. Also as mentioned earlier the line was well known for it's fast fish services which would require fish vans to operate these services. Sadly the line shut to passengers in 1970 and to freight in 1980 with line tracks removed soon after.

Some potential DLC would be LNER J11s, LNER C12s,LNER N5s LNER K3s and really most other any widespread LNER stock.

Overall I think this mainline with the skeggy branch would be a great addition to TSW and will give us a route in a part of England we have nothing from currently.
    If I have forgot anything please let me know as I should have been asleep a few hours ago instead of dusting the cobwebs of my memories.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  16. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

I want the the Strasburg Railroad in Lancaster, PA the line is a 4 mile tourist railroad that runs from East Strasburg to the Amtrak interchange at Leaman Place where the trains turn around for the return trip. the locos that should come with this are engine 475 a 4-8-0 Northfolk and Western Steam Locomotive, Engine 90 a 2-10-0 Great Western Railway of Colorado and Canadain National 2-6-0 engine 89. This line has a mix of tourist passenger trains and short line freight services. The route could be set in the present or in the 1980's when they had 2 PRR steam locomotives that ran on the line that are now retired. The two PRR engines are the 4-4-0 1223 and 4-4-2 7002

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  17. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

I would really like to see the Fort William - Mallaig (Scotland) west coast railways railtour service. This route can have Steam as well as the Class 156's that also operate on this route.

18. TSW Nathan

The Jacobite Runs a Class 8f Strainer

19. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

did you not just read the thread

20. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

I can see everyones a steam fan in this thread

• Like Like x 1
  21. steamfan#1309

I am the one who made the thread about it

22. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I would suggest the Bamberg Hof Railway since It features a steep ramp where 2 steam locomotives are required to make the trip between Kulmbach and Hof. Locomotives are DB BR010 001 095 041 050 052.

• Like Like x 2
  23. WonterRail

Quick question, is there a specific time period for this route? (I would guess it would be of a period considering the locos listed there).

24. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

That will be the 1950s-1970s West Germany Hochstadt is the last stop for Electric Trains

• Like Like x 1
  25. TSW Nathan

FORT WILLIAM - MALAIG

West Coast Railways and ScotRail run services from between Fort William and Mallaig. One of those services is called The Jacobite. It is a Harry Potter style Steam locomotive that operates a special service in the mornings and afternoons. It is a Class 8f Strainer and is operated by West Coast Railways. There are also ScotRail services between Fort William and Mallaig operated with Class 156's. This route is really special because it goes over the famous Glen Finnan Viaduct (harry potter bridge) and people from all around the world to ride on the train and on the route. I would love to see this route because it's a Scottish route and it has a mix of Steam and Desil Locomotives.
    Please look at this and tell me what you think.

• Like Like x 1
  26. max#3831

max#3831 Member

I would like to see the Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range Railway set in 1953 which ran in Northern Minnesota and Wisconsin and their headquarters was in Proctor, MN. In 1953 the DM&IR hauled a tonnage of ore that reached over 49 million tons of ore by '53 and also by this year they got their first diesels which were EMD SW9s.

Steam passenger service ended in 1953 which was replaced by a Budd RDC to reduce operating costs.

The locomotives that were the M-3/M-4 2-8-8-4 "Yellowstones" which were their famous locomotives. upload_2022-7-11_10-39-33.png
    The railroad also had second hand steam locomotives like the Bessemer and Lake Erie railroad 2-10-4s which were sold to the DM&IR when the B&LE dieselized by 1953. upload_2022-7-11_10-41-59.png
    The also bought 0-10-2 Union type locomotives from the Union Railroad in 1949 which also by that year was dieselized and the DM&IR used them for shunting ore cars or pulling empty ore cars. upload_2022-7-11_10-46-22.png
    The railroad had a lot locomotives they used into the 1938 merger which were the Duluth & Iron Range and Duluth, Missabe and Northern and the locomotives they had we're 2-8-8-2s upload_2022-7-11_10-49-40.png
    They also had 4-6-2s for passenger trains until 1953. upload_2022-7-11_10-51-4.png
    And they also had 2-8-2 Mikados and 4 0-10-0s which were the largest switching steam locomotives on the railroad.

• Like Like x 5
  27. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I really want to see the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge in TSW2. The route passes through the mountains of Colorado and has some impressive scenery, especially in the Animas Canyon. The D&SNG was formerly built by the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad (D&RGW) as part of the railroad's three-foot gauge empire in the mountains of Colorado and New Mexico. The route is 45.2 miles (72.7 kilometers) long. If we get the D&SNG, I would like to see the route set in either the modern day or in the 1920s-50s when freight trains carrying gold and silver ran along this route. The D&RGW operated the Silverton passenger train in the summer months on this route, as well as freight trains carrying gold and silver (and other loads as well). If this route is made, I really want to see freight, maintenance-of- way, and passenger services.

-Locomotives to include with base route:
    -K-28-Class 2-8-2 Mikado (470-series numbering)
    -K-36 Mikado (480-series)
    -K37 Mikado (490-series)

• Like Like x 7
  28. WonterRail

Seems like this thread is going down really well, so it's for me to throw another steamr oute suggested here.

Kent & East Sussex Railway Early 1950s: Headcorn-Robertsbridge

This one was actually inspired by the fact that some of the Mk1 coach sounds from Liverpool-Crewe were recorded off a Mk1 from the K&ESR. But this suggestion isn't the heritage line that exists today, but rather route during it's heyday, specifically during the early 50s before the line closed to passengers in 1954 (and later for freight in 1961). This means this route would be the entire K&ESR as it was during that time, connecting the South Eastern Main Line at Headcorn Junction with the Hastings Line at Robertsbridge Junction. With this being a light railway, it means that the route caters to full sized trains, but follows the contours of the land, rather than being carved out of the scenery, to minimise construction costs. This means the route has steep gradients, plenty of level crossings, and has a low speed restriction of around 25 mph.

The route would come with two locos dating from the victorian era. The first being the SE&CR O1 Class 0-6-0, which would operate a mixture of passenger and freight works and the LB&SCR A1X 'Terrier' Class 0-6-0T, which would mainly take charge of passenger workings in this route. It's also worth mentioning that both locos would come in BR Black livery, as this route is set during the early days of BR (before the 1955 modernisation plan).

• Like Like x 4
  29. jedi247

Route suggestion: ATSF Raton Pass (1940s-50s):
    I should suggest a route with one of my favorite railroads: the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe railroad. Personally, I would choose Cajon Pass between Barstow Yard and San Bernardino, but at 82 miles, that's a bit too long for TSW2 at this time. So I'm suggesting the 45 mile Raton Pass route between Raton, New Mexico and Trinidad, Colorado. The route features steep mountain grades (about 3%). The version I'm suggesting is set in the steam-diesel transition era of the late 1940s-early 1950s, so steam and diesel engines would be operating together. Passenger trains could include the Super Chief, Grand Canyon, or Chief.

-Locomotives to include with base route:
    -ATSF 4-8-4 (3751, 3765, 3776, or 2900-Classes) for passenger services
    -ATSF 2-10-4 Texas (5000, 5001, or 5011-Classes) for heavy freight services
    -ATSF GP7 for switching operations

-Possible DLCs:
    -ATSF 3450 or 3460-Class Hudson (#3460 is the Blue Goose)
    -ATSF FM H-12-44 or FM H-10-44
    -ATSF FT, F3, or F7 A/B in both freight and passenger liveries
    -ATSF 3800-Class 2-10-2 "Santa Fes"

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  30. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

The Isle of Wight steam railway
    I have suggested it before the line run between Wootton and smallbrook passing the village of Havenstreet the headcounts of the railway. Here is a list of all steam locos W24 Calbourne (Adam's o2) (the pride of the feet), W11 Newport and W8 Freshwater (A1X terrier) ivatt 41298 and Ivatt 41313, Hunslet 198 Royal Engineer and 192 Wagoner, W37 invincible and W38 Ajax. Diesel locos are D2059 Class 03, Class 05 Nuclear Fred and 235. Tram number 2 from Ryde pier tramway. Class 483007 jess harper museum only at the current time.
    For the pack W24 Calbourne and both ivatts tanks and the class o3 for around the yard shunting. Time table red for 2 train service. One scenario could be D2059 going to pick up a failed loco from Wootton or smallbrook and a blue timetable running or a santa special

• Like Like x 4
  31. jedi247

My next steam route suggestion is UP Sherman Hill with steam locomotives. We already have Sherman Hill in game, but the current version is set in the modern day. I have two possible steam-era UP Sherman Hill versions. Both would be amazing to see. The route is 58 miles long.

Version 1: UP Sherman Hill in the 1870s:
    This version of the route would be set just after the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad in 1869. The operations would be vastly different since air brakes didn't exist until the 1880s and automatic couplers also didn't exist at the time of this route. These kinds of operations would make this version of the route very interesting.

-Locomotives to include in base route:
    -UP 4-4-0 American (include #119)
    -1 or 2 other UP 1860s-80s steam locos (2-6-0 Mogul, 2-8-0 Consolidation, etc.)

-Rolling Stock:
    -UP wooden passenger cars
    -UP freight cars and a caboose

Version 2: UP Sherman Hill in the 1940s-50s:
    This version of the route is set in the days when UP ran their massive steam locos. Do I need to say more?
    Of course, we need a UP passenger train and a selection of 1940s-50s-era freight cars and a caboose. Perhaps some military cars could be included as well. PFE reefers are another necessary piece of rolling stock to include.

-Locomotives to include in base route:
    -UP Big Boy
    -UP Challenger
    -UP FEF3 Northern

-Possible DLCs:
    -UP 4-12-2
    -UP 2-8-2 Mikado
    -UP Overland 4-10-2

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  32. WonterRail

Time for me to throw another one onto this, and it's quite a big one for those familiar with the recent German routes.

Weißeritztalbahn Modern: Freital-Hainsburg–Kurort Kipsdorf

This is part of a selection of routes that I called 'The Dresden Narrow-Gauge Trilogy', which is bascially adapting the three narrow-gauge lines that show up on the Dresden routes for TSW2. But since we can only have one route show up per post, I will only focus on one for now (but if anyone else wants to suggest the other two, then feel free). This is the longer of them, being at about 16 miles (26 km) long and winds it's way through the valley of the Red Weißeritz river from the mainline connection at Freital, to the spa at Kipsdorf in the Ore Mountains. This route was also the second narrow-gauge line to be built in Germany and is considering the oldest public narrow-gauge railway still in operation in Germany today, having been taking over by the Saxon Steam Railway Company in 2004, which also operates the narrow-gauge line that shows up on Riesa-Dresden at Radebeul Ost, but more on that when we get round to talking about it (or again, if someone else wants to talk about it, then feel free).

For locos, you have a pair of heavy 2-10-2T tank engines to choose from. Which are the DR BR 99.73-76 and the DR BR 99.77-79. These would charge of everything that happens on this route, from passenger services, to some freight workings and so much more.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  33. OldVern

This one will probably never get made but I want to throw in in the hat anyway:-
    Stratford On Avon And Midland Junction Railway (SMJ).
    [​IMG]

The core of the route was 38 miles from Blisworth on the WCML to Stratford Upon Avon. However there were numerous offshoots and branches which could add to the overall experience. Towcester to Banbury (Merton Street) 16 miles, Stratford to Broom Jn (about 8 miles) and Towcester to Ravenstone Wood Jn on the Northampton to Bedford line with running powers into Olney, about 12 miles. As can be seen from the diagram above the latter section saw scheduled passenger services withdrawn very early on but was an important freight link and also used for excursion traffic from London St Pancras to Towcester for the (horse) racing. The main route intersected with several north to south routes (though the spur) to the WCML at Roade was closed early on. The only section still in use today is from Fenny Compton to just short of Kineton for MOD traffic.

I would suggest any representation of the line set between the end of WWII (1945) and the withdrawal of passenger services (1951).

Passenger services were sparse on the other sections, with 3 tor4 per day each way from Blisworth to Stratford and 2 or 3 on the Banbury line.

Motive power would be ex Midland Railway 3F or 4F 0-6-0 tender locos though many other types could be seen particularly on through freight. For example the SMJ Ring website references 8F 2-8-0 being used on Byfield to Blisworth ironstone trains.

The appeal of this route is its unique rural nature, almost entirely single track but with some surprisingly heavy engineering and gradients to deal with. Lots of scope for DLC to add in additional locos and freight wagons.

More info here:
    Index - The SMJ Society (ning.com)
    Stratford-upon-Avon and Midland Junction Railway - Wikipedia

Reproduction of 1951 timetable:
    SMJTT.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  34. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Swansea - Neyland mainline, pre 1964. With Pembroke Dock, Milford Haven and Fishguard branches.
    DTG do that and i will worship at the altar of mediocrity, until the end of my days.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

Stratford on Avon and Midland Junction Railway (SMJ) - Great suggestion. I've been fascinated with this route ever since I read a series of articles about it in "Railway Bylines" magazine in 2012. Although the amount of passenger traffic doesn't look much, the variety of freight traffic made up for that.

• Like Like x 2
  36. WonterRail

Nice suggestion by the way (have included at the top of the page) but if you don't mind me asking, what would the locos be for this route your suggesting?

• Like Like x 1
  37. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Anything smaller than a King, west of Swansea.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  38. WonterRail

Time for the second the 'Dresden Narrow-Gauge trilogy' that I want to cover on this thread.

Lößnitzgrundbahn Modern: Radebeul Ost–Radeburg

Moving from the narrow-gauge line on Tharandter Rampe to the narrow-gauge line on Nahverkehr Dresden. This one is quite bit shorter than the last one, being at only 10 Miles long (compared to the 16 miles of the other one) but would still offer as much as the previous Dresden narrow-gauge line. Unlike the other dresden route, which has more mountainous scenery, this one starts by the mainline connection at Radebeul Ost and travels through the Moritzburg marshlands, cuts right across Dippelsdorf Lake via a causeway, and passes by the castle at Moritzburg, which can seen in the backdrop of the route. This is before theb route ends at Radeburg via Cunnertswalde.

Despite being a different route, the locos for this one would be the same as the previous Dresden Narrow-Gauge route. Them being the DR BR 99.73-76 and the DR BR 99.77-79, both a pair of 2-10-2T heavy tank engines that would take charge of many tasks along this route, from passenger operations to a few freight workings and much, much more.

39. trainsmad1812

trainsmad1812 New Member

what about the Cambrian route late 50s/early 60s with DMU 101 for diesel and a class 4575 prairie for steam the route runs for 70 miles if you did Machynlleth to Aberystwyth also the route runs Machynlleth to Pwllheli you could do goods runs and passenger maybe shorten the route into two parts if 70 miles is to long, or you could do the talyllyn railway again 50s or 60s or modern day you have steam engines no 1 to 4 and 6/7 and you also 4 diesel locos but i do not know their numbers again you do slate type goods runs or passengers.

• Like Like x 2
  40. OldVern

The Pwllheli line would be excellent. Throw in a BR Standard Class 3 or 4 along with a Dukedog and I’m sold.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

I would like to see ECML from Kings Cross to Stevenage, with Class 801 and Class 91 in LNER livery and maybe a Class 387 in Great Northern livery. So many people suggested it except going to Peterbrough which is too long for TSW2, but i thought Stevenage is enough. It can have layers from BML for the GX 387 (GN has some of them iirc), from ECW for JNA's, from NTP HFP for TEA's and for railtours if possible, from GWE for class 66, HKA's and FKA's and from TVL for PCA and BBA wagons.

42. WonterRail

Err... did you read the what this thread is about? Because that's not a steam route, but a modern route. This is a thread for suggesting steam routes only.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Epic era picking fail. Atleast it's a small mistake, right?

44. WonterRail

Not problem. But since your route is one that hasn't been suggested here yet, if you want to keep it, just change the period and locos to somewhere steam related (Like somwhere ranging from the late 40s to the early 60s, like alot of the routes already suggested here).

• Like Like x 1
  45. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

For me, part of the Cornish Mainline during the 40s/50s would 100% be up there. So many branchlines lots of gradients to master and several different locomotives and services to run.

Another route for me would be the Wisbech and Upwell tramway with a J70 and Y6.

• Like Like x 1
  46. WonterRail

Since the Cornish Main Line one has slightly more detail in it, that's the one I have linked your post at the top of the page (If you still want to suggested Wisbech & Upwell Tramway, then please make a seperate post for that, it just my life of tracking suggestions a little easier. Plus, if you want to use that opportunity add more detail to the later suggestion, then feel free).

Also with regards to the Cornish Main Line suggestion as great at it is, how big would the route be? Would it be the entire thing between Penzance and Plymouth, would it be as big as West Cornwall Local with maybe the Falmouth Branch added, or would it been even bigger than that? Depends on what you had in mind for it.

Also would be nice to know what the locos would be for a 1940/50s Cornish Main Line adaptation, but it's really how big the route would be that's the main priority here.

47. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

My apologies. I have been rather lazy recently with my presentation. I will update if you’d like.

48. WonterRail

No problem, go right ahead. I won't stop you.

49. theozzmanishere

theozzmanishere New Member

Personally I'd like a Pere Marquette route set in 1945. It's 91 miles, atleast from the math I did, so pretty hefty but maybe it could work out. (Idk this is a suggestions page), anyway, we'd have two steam locomotives to handle freight and passenger trains, the famous N Class 2-8-4 Berkshires (1201-1239), 39 to be exact for freight, and then the MK and MK-2 Class (1011-1050) 2-8-2 Mikados for heavy passenger trains. This would allow some representation of the Midwestern US in TSW and in my opinion would be a great route as you have two of the most famous and well-known designs the Pere Marquette used. (Foaming is reaching an all time level, apologies)

• Like Like x 1
  50. WonterRail

Would this be the line that runs between Chicago and Grand Rapids?