Road Map Train Sim World 2 - Roadmap Update 5th July 2022

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Jul 5, 2022.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Given the numerous pages of discussion it’s hardly being ignored. Probably the hottest topic on the board this morning and has deflected nicely away from Rivet’s mediocre IOW rehash.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

It hasn't been ignored...there is a thread about it in the PC forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the 187 update that coming later means after TSW3 then.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

I've had a glance at the thread in the PC forum but currently my view is "insufficient data". I know they have dispatcher versions and it's perfectly possible that internally DTG may be referrring to the next upgrade in functionality of TSW as 'TSW3'. Whether that becomes TSW3 externally or just an upgrade of the existing TSW(2) is another matter altogether.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I have watched the stream and it is good to see the progress with solving some major issues. At least some of them are now in the testing stage. There is one thing really disappointing for me. The total lack of progress in the Scenario Planner.

As we all remember, Some years ago we got a crippled product that allows to drive a train up and down the line. I then spent quite some time in reverse engineering the data structure and to my dismay I discovered this has fatal design flaws for further progress. The major issue is that you need to choose at the service level which events you like. The choice is pick up passengers or stop at, nothing else and you cannot mix them. They even did not bother to look at TS Classic which has a not perfect but workable set of commands.

DTG solicited feedback with the promise this was only the start of a development. It even reached the roadmap, but before any design was done it was removed again. Matt said then they wanted to do Creators Club first and get that in place. That is OK, but until today, no improvements on Creators Club are scheduled at the roadmap and it is is still beta. So what are we waiting for? I have no idea. Scenario Planner is important to me and I would love to be able to create good scenarios. It looks like the only option is to get a third party developer status. Matt also announced this would be easier, but we did not hear any progress on that.

I love this game, but the problem is we cannot trust DTG and we get far less than has been promised. This is a waste. Many routes have completely unused features and we do not have any access to them. That is one of the reasons a good scenario creation tool is important. It would increase the value of the game so much.

• Like Like x 13
  6. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

Excuse me, but what on Earth TSW3 leak?

7. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

8. redrev1917

Really good to hear that the Class 150 has been looked at and changes made.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

This paragraph in the roadmap referring to the new IoW route could do with a bit of explanation in light of last nights stream and leak:

"New functionality developed for this route includes new arcing effects on the third rail to special effects for scenarios. And the scenarios themselves are more interactive than ever before - more details to follow in a later article though."

Are the arcing effects the sparks referred to in the discord conversation?

• Like Like x 1
  10. SubwayRailfanner

SubwayRailfanner Well-Known Member

At what point did they leak it on stream?

11. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I believe so.

12. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

When was this mentioned on the stream?

Was it the sounds by any chance, the wheel flange and rub sound like a metal plate being scrapped on a gravel floor... eh

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

From 22:00

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Excellent, maybe they will make it do its more distinctive take off and struggle rather than notch 7 and f1 start

15. ARuscoe

I guess we'll find out, and then no doubt the music teacher will rip it apart again if it's wrong.

16. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

If there is no actual content, there is no need to publish a roadmap. If DTG has any interest in us, please feel free to post on the official website. I think the roadmap can be omitted.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ARuscoe

There's a difference between "No content", "No new content", "No interesting content" and "stuff which isn't actually content in the context of a roadmap but we'll stick it in here in the hopes people won't notice"
    You could have omitted to read the roadmap if that would make you feel better

18. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

Starts making me sad. Nothing new on the horizon, no news on German Route or 420.
    Some placeholders and only a new loco from Rivet..
    Good to see you‘re working on all the bugs on older routes, but it feels like this takes too long (because it hasn’t been done for too long before)

• Like Like x 1
  19. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Perhaps, my personal guess is that next month's roadmap content is also a non-practical presentation. As long as there is more content, DTG can be published at any time. If not, publishing every three to five months is fine.

20. ARuscoe

Guess all you want, speculation is a forum staple
    I would say not, mainly because the roadmap is really the only time we get a data dump on what's actually happening in the dev cycle, QA cycle etc. It used to be every fortnight but of course content is drying up at the moment so they had less to talk about, hence the longer Q&A section, but at least we now have some answers to what people are asking, even if we have no information on any new routes (which I never expected anyway and don't see that as the only point of a roadmap)

21. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Roadmap live stream is available here:

It's timestamped so you can easily navigate to the bits you're interested in.

• Like Like x 1
  22. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Unless and until something with more substance appears, I'm calling "typo."

23. solicitr

A little dramatic, don't you think? DTG announced, quite some time ago, that following SoS they were going to do a stand-down and take a break from new content development so that they can fix existing problems, both with product and with internal procedures.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

JD has posted in the TSW3 leak thread - read it yourself.

• Like Like x 4
  25. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Remember Flight Sim World, is my response to that. And the fact that a little speculation never hurts but I'm more than happy to see the likelihood TSW3 will be emerging at some point hopefully later this year.

26. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

In any case, after having it dangled for so long, my anticipation of the "huge" Peninsula Corridor update is roughly equal to a new route release.

• Like Like x 3
  27. derek#2931

derek#2931 Well-Known Member

Time stamp pls?

28. bakedpotatos.jm

About 28:30 in the chat that JD showed briefly while adjusting cameras.

29. solicitr

Flight Sim World was killed because the 800-pound gorilla Microsoft was stomping all over that market segment. TSW has no competitors on the console side which generates 2/3 of its sales.

• Like Like x 4
  30. ARuscoe

FSW was licensed from MS anyway, was it not?

31. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Oooh the waiting time for the DB BR420 requires maximum patience from my side :)

• Like Like x 2
  32. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

That patience is worth the awaiting as TSG never fails to amaze us with the high quality of their products

• Like Like x 7
  33. souleymane#2785

souleymane#2785 Well-Known Member

Ahh I can't wait any longer! It's even the one I'm waiting for the most with the 600 bakerloo line services :(

• Like Like x 1
  34. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

Oh don't forget me. I will say something too.

35. ARuscoe

Sorry Alex... How could I forget you...?

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. bakedpotatos.jm

It seems that the frequent pres. crew updates have disappeared again.

• Like Like x 1
  37. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Maybe because they are trying to make sure that they fix what they intend to fix and to make sure they roll out smoothly

• Like Like x 3
  38. redrev1917

I'd rather have infrequent updates but to the standard of the last update compared to the cluck fess that was the previous update

• Like Like x 1
  39. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I am not sure if I missed the roadmap notes from previously but I thought I saw the issue with the AI train getting stuck on the track was on the roadmap of things to fix, as this issue occurs in many services on the Harlem Line. Has this issue been addressed?

• Like Like x 1
  40. ARuscoe

The Harlem line is a specific issue as the signalling is quite distinct and allows multiple trains in a single segment
    You're right they did bring it up on a roadmap though and haven't said anything since

41. stimp#5938

stimp#5938 Well-Known Member

Or never at all. LMAO. I and many in this community have been waiting for a fix since last October when it was released and still nothing. Makes me a very very disappointed customer DTG! And this also does not look well for you concerning TSW3. Fix your game!!!! We all know we’re going to get more disappointments, so tread lightly my fellow train fans. Do your research before spending money here!

• Like Like x 4
  42. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Following the announcement that August’s roadmap will be on the 9th, get ready for all the “Where’s the roadmap” posts on Tuesday. :)

• Like Like x 8
  43. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling its probably not because a "huge" announcement, but more because the new bakerloo timetable finally ready. Cant wait for a busy LU experience withouth HUD ;)

• Like Like x 4
  44. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’m just hoping some more of what’s in this post is picked up. I’m really hoping there is something decent coming next week

45. bakedpotatos.jm

JD posted he was on holiday last week so there is probably the reason for the delay.

I think there will be no news until after the Roadmap. Which will have nothing new, just more developer deep dives.

No way Sam will be doing a solo lets play stream after a big announcement

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  46. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Over the past few months, I feel like the distance between the community and the developers has increased significantly once again. A big reason for this is - as I predicted - the cancellation of the bi-weekly roadmap streams. That format was much more laid-back and (ironically) more focused. There was a bit of roadmap talk, bringing everyone up to date quickly, and then the whole stream morphed into more of a laid-back Q&A session. This allowed us to get lots of insights and enabled the developers to connect with the community.

But that is no longer the case with the monthly streams. They seem to have gotten shorter while at the same time introducing more guests and talking points. This reduces the time for honest conversations with the community. The new developer insights are appreciated, but some short info on scenario creation doesn’t replace the lost community interaction in the slightest.

There has been some talk about the main reason for this situation: Completely focusing on improving the game and making big changes behind the scenes. But it’s hard to get behind that if we don’t have any info on what you’re working on. And we already know about the TSW3 leak, so there’s obviously concrete DLC development in progress while we’re being led to believe the silence is there because all attention is being spent on improving existing parts of the game.

I’m simply asking you to be more open. The roadmap is only shedding light on some select projects (preservation crew, DLC limit etc.) - probably less than 20% of the total work that’s actually going on.

This post isn’t supposed to be negative, and I’m sorry if it sounds like that. I’m simply offering my perspective on the current situation and ways to improve it. I know the community team has gone through some changes over the past few weeks/months, with some employees leaving and others joining. Just hoping we can maybe get the community interaction back to where it once was as soon as everybody’s settled in!

• Like Like x 20
  47. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more, I think things are close to regressing back to where they were before the roadmaps were introduced - long periods of silence between developers and community. You can see it in these forums, how much less active they are, and I no longer look forward to the roadmap releases for the expectations are they'll be bland and uninformative. "German route" three roadmaps in a row? Really?

The greater the silence, the deeper our expectations, and the likelier for disappointment to take root. Nothing was ever lost by communication, DTG. Please don't go back to old ways that have proven themselves unproductive and unhelpful. It may seem like the safe option, the one that has the minimum of criticism, but it's ultimately not helpful to community building. You learned that lesson once before, didn't you?

• Like Like x 16
  48. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

It was implied that the new Bakerloo timetable was coming out during the same roadmap as GWE and NTP but since the initial announcement there has been nothing, Has it been delayed? Cancelled? Due soon? Just some information would be nice.

• Like Like x 6
  49. ARuscoe

It's "in testing" was the last info given

50. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I wonder if they are done with testing

• Like Like x 4