Tsw3 - The Cat Is Out Of The Bag & The Unofficial Tsw3 Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Jul 5, 2022.

1. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Yet we got amazing games during that generation so I can't see how it wasn't that good

• Like Like x 2
  2. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Have you been living under a box for the last 5 years? Games like God of War, the Witcher 3, RDR2 and Hitman have been amazing experiences and pushed the boundaries of video games technically, all on gen 8.

• Like Like x 5
  3. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I said it once and I will say it again.
    If they don't fix the lighting in TSW3 then it's uninstall, don't buy TSW3 and move on to another sim completely.

The lighting in TSW2 is embarrassing and awful. Super Nintendo games had better lighting.

• Like Like x 6
  4. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I think its best for everyone to see their expectations very, very low for when it comes to TSW 3's announcement.

I'm expecting nothing more than a simple new route bundle and maybe a refreshed UI. All the long standing issues with lighting, sounds and performance issues will of course remain an issue (probably)

The reason for TSW's new name (number) is most likely to be just for marketing purposes. To attract new players in, as per what Train Sim Classic used to do.

• Like Like x 9
  5. SJA

SJA Active Member

Hear hear! *applause*

To say gen 8 was poor to begin with is an absolute joke. There was a big leap between PS3 and PS4, for example, and the leap between PS4 and PS5 is noticeable but more subtle in my opinion. More about draw distances, finary and so on. All important stuff, obviously.

But gen 8 was out a decade ago and was a great leap forwards IMO. It still holds immersion today. Anyone who has played GTA on it will know this.

• Like Like x 4
  6. tallboy7648

DTG should just hire you for your services. It still boggles my mind as to why they can't improve aspects of lighting themselves

• Like Like x 2
  7. londonmidland

Quite a few people have said this but they just don't seem interested. *shrugs*

• Like Like x 8
  8. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that mate. I have SCA 14 and a load of secondary issues like double vision which is a pain in the arse.

DTG will only drop Gen8 when the Gen9 consoles start out selling them and by a long way otherwise it makes no financial sense as a business.

• Like Like x 2
  9. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Lighting, performance, sound.
    The big three.
    If TSW3 does not fix them its an instant epic fail not worth a single $. Sorry.

• Like Like x 4
  10. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Its almost as if they want to have this terrible lighting for a reason...i wonder why.
    Its the same with the sky. A modder fixed it. Before that TSW2 had one of the worst skyboxes in the history of video games. It was so bad that this alone was reason enough to not play TSW2 for me...and i usually play lots of indie games so i can put up with some flaws but come one, it was embarrassing.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  11. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

This is probably for the best.

There are a few members here who do quite alot for TSW, yourself included, who wouldnā€™t be able to do such things if they went ahead and worked with DTG.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, if you get hired by someone, they get to set parameters and tell you specifically what to work on.

Then there's the dreaded NDA. ;)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  13. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think this content drought highlights one big issue; there is no depth to the routes.

I donā€™t think Iā€™m far off being correct in saying that DRA & BML are in the top 5 routes in TSW, and this is because they both offer something real, one being a mixed traffic pattern with multiple service types & rolling stock, the other being a railway that feels fulfilled & alive.

So many other routes just donā€™t have enough, be it a lack of rolling stock, services or length. I really donā€™t blame people who are pandering after the next release, because the DLCā€™s seem like they are structured in a way to make you want the next route.

We need to see more focus on going back to routes, enhancing timetables and adding loco DLCā€™s. We see too many routes coming out, then a few months later, another route comes out which is the same experience, just a few miles away from the previous route.

We really donā€™t have much in the way of a repayable experience, at least not one that will last more than a few weeks, not when every route releases with 2 trains and only spans 20-50 miles.

Iā€™m hoping that DTG see the success with DRA & BML, and build onto them, letā€™s see the Riesa - Leipzig extension with a new ICE, and letā€™s see the 700 and freight services make it onto BML. We need more fleshed out content, and we need it built on routes that have a solid foundation already.

Iā€™m bored of DLCā€™s coming out with 1 reused train & 1 mostly new unit, when in reality said route has a plethora of rolling stock.

It only adds salt into the wound when we end up back in the south with electrostar route #38. If we need to go back to the same area in the same era, letā€™s see an actual new set of rolling stock, that can be used on other Southern lines.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 11
  14. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

If they try and charge us for a non-existent upgrade...

• Like Like x 6
  15. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

I don't think that's enough. I think what is needed is a deliberate process of choosing routes that provide the maximum potential for service variety.

• Like Like x 3
  16. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah a did initially type a lot more, but I didnā€™t want to post a 30 paragraph rant.

I think TSW does stuff well, but just wanted to address my concern with the current content drought and why it seems to be a common theme of complaints on the forum.

The crux of my issue is simply; there is not enough trains, or stuff to do on routes.

• Like Like x 3
  17. tallboy7648

I couldn't agree more. I haven't played tsw in a few weeks now. There just isn't enough variety in the routes I own and since the experience is similar, it does get boring. They should add more to routes to expand the experience rather than just releasing the next route that has a dostos or another recycled train

• Like Like x 6
  18. tallboy7648

I wonder if they just want to have terrible lighting to be honest. Hopefully they do improve it for tsw3 or whatever the summer update will be but frankly I don't have high expectations

• Like Like x 4
  19. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

+1
    I just had a ball taking a double headed DB BR189 freight from Hausach across to Villingen in TSC. Superb experience and with the possible exception of Chemnitz to Dresden nothing comes close in TSW. The 189 sounds superb and I can only hope if it ever makes it to TSW, the sounds won't get botched as they did with the 187. In fact after hearing the 189 it will be hard to drive any DB electric in TSW again (exception being the 101) as the sounds are harsh and screechy, not the lovely smooth electrical whine.

• Like Like x 4
  20. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I wish I had your TSC collection chap. I also wish I could play it fir more than ten mins without thinking ā€œshippy graphicsā€ and uninstalling it

21. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I honestly thought we would be seeing some kind of announcement this week with the delaying of the roadmap....but it doesn't appear to be the case. Possibly roadmap and TSW3 annoucement on the same day....

• Like Like x 2
  22. polarisneo

polarisneo Member

Holiday season for most of the UK right now, might not be for a couple of weeks if I were to have a guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Dtg clearly needs to ask the question the other way around.
    Taking the sos initial release as a reference to decide if its worth to make more steam engines would be a totally wrong approach in my opinion, and a waste on top.
    If for some reason the sales were lower than expected, its because the lack of other rolling stock & the missing manual firing.

How can this be a base for decisions if the tsc version still gives the better "simulated" steam experience.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

That would explain the delayed roadmap as well then, I am not overly familiar with UK holidays being in Oz....thanks for that :)

• Like Like x 1
  25. OldVern

Well itā€™s all in the eye of the beholder and, within limits, graphics arenā€™t everything. And at least in TSC unlike TSW on a bright sunny day everything doesnā€™t look alternately washed out or covered with black tar. The Konstanz to Hausach route is also incredibly well crafted, one of the best Iā€™ve seen in TSC and, while Iā€™m well known for not liking modern stuff, the BR189 is a superb locomotive to drive.

• Like Like x 5
  26. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

What's "dreaded" about signing an NDA? You just keep your mouth shut and get on with it, I had to sign one when I was selected to become one of the Xbox beta testers.

• Like Like x 3
  27. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Look at FIFA 21, 22 and 23.

Other than the usual kits, players, stadiums, teams, leagues and whatnot being updated, virtually all of the new features (gameplay-wise) don't cross over. The "Hypermotion" technology for example doesn't. Cross-play is still separated, new cutscenes remain gen9-only, etc.

However, there aren't lawsuits because A) EA have made it abundantly clear and B) There are changes.

And this example can apply to virtually any sports game if you substitute the terms used.

28. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Peninsula Corridor. Been waiting so impatiently for that one. Love the route, but maaaan, the bugs.

29. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

It's not about how they look, it's about how they play - and with that in mind you could argue that three of those games are just inferior versions of their 7th generation equivalents!
    Speaking as one of those who hasn't been "living under a box for the last 5 years", in terms of quality of gaming I can hand on heart say that gen 8 never even came close to delivering this supposed new era of great games and I for one am eternally grateful that this chapter is finally coming to an end.

Fun fact: I'm a huge COD fan (a fact made all the more strange being a 'mature' female gamer...but hey, that's how it is) and such has been the negative impact this modern generation of gaming has had on me personally, I played COD5:WaW on X360 (2700 hours over a period of 4 years) for longer than *every XB1 COD game combined*. Oh gawd, that's quite sad really, isn't it :cool:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  30. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

What makes you think that this gen will be any better?

• Like Like x 2
  31. tallboy7648

Those games played just fine though along with many others. Man you really must've been living in a box.

• Like Like x 6
  32. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

So obviously it's all subjective, but I think you're being a little harsh- I'd argue there's just as many great games in every generation. I'll concede that there's probably more shovelware to dig through than ever before.

Speaking specficically about CoD, could it be more that your gaming tastes have changed over time? Personally, i put hundreds of hours each into COD4:MW and Halo 3 on the 360, but now i might buy a COD every few years, play it for a little bit and move on. I play a bit more Halo, but still not nearly what i used to.

Now i put 100s of hours into train-sims and RPGs, so....ā€*shrugs*

• Like Like x 2
  33. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Seriously?

Specifically with regard to COD and Halo, the issue isn't tech, it's that their producers are burned out and both IPs are dying from franchise fatigue. Just run out of ideas, like a TV series that's gone on too long.
    -------------------
    And I would point out that the whole gravamen of this discussion, TSW2, relates to how it looks.

• Like Like x 2
  34. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Even neighbours came to an end after 37 yrs. I bought vanguard, played 5hrs of it and it was boring even though I had 5 years out

• Like Like x 2
  35. OldVern

Still trying to figure out what the recent TV show was all about and the final episode was definitely a case of, "Ugh?"

• Like Like x 2
  36. trainnick77

trainnick77 Member

from what Sam said last night I am guessing the big reveal will be on Tuesday

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. londonmidland

What did he say?

38. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Go to 42:00
    "Why is the roadmap next week?"
    "Availability of people primarily, and also because the roadmap next week will be far more interesting"
    "The roadmap this week wouldn't be interesting. Next week it will be interesting"

• Helpful Helpful x 9
    • Like Like x 4
  39. trainnick77

trainnick77 Member

i think this is a big clue to an anouncement

40. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

A weekend teaser would be nice :)

• Like Like x 2
  41. ARuscoe

It's an announcement in itself.
    Next week's roadmap will be at least slightly less boring than the last two

• Like Like x 6
  42. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Even in the YouTube thumbnail the lighting looks terrible :D

• Like Like x 3
  43. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Sorry i missed your reply. Just looked that up, sounds a bit scarey, buddy. Mine is all anxiety and stress related. So at least i am not physically debilitated like your good self.

• Like Like x 1
  44. IsambardKingdomBrunel

I have been beta testing Trainz since Trs 2004, i don't even think about the NDA. Just keep your gob shut and everything is hunky dory.

• Like Like x 1
  45. IsambardKingdomBrunel

Don't tell me Mrs M, made you watch it. :D :D ;)

• Like Like x 1
  46. OldVern

;)

• Like Like x 2
  47. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Here's the thing though, and it fits in with a trend- apparently there is some juicy information which DTG is preparing to reveal next week which they wouldn't release this week. However, it appears that this juicy info (let's call it Floyd) is already known to them this week. So the question is- and this is a legitimate question, DTG Alex , - why is Floyd being withheld until some calendar date, rather than when Floyd is known to be the case? I think that this lies at the heart of the transparency issue: DTG doling out information on a timetable dictated by... what? The marketing department? The alignment of the planets?

• Like Like x 7
  48. ARuscoe

Because the stars have to align and everything be in place to announce such things. That's part of PR...
    Unfortunately if you're part of DTG you also have to consider the audience, and given already today I have seen people wanting announcements of what the announcement is (that announcement that's only hinted at 42 minutes into a lets play) you do the math... If they get announcements wrong (ie wrong time, don't know the complete details or have the right people answering the questions) then it goes "tits up"...
    Don't need another Rush Hour on our hands, do we?

49. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They go round the table until everyone agrees, likeā€¦
    Retro - GO
    Fido - GO
    Guidance - GO
    Control - GO
    Marketing - NO GO, need more screenshots.

• Like Like x 9
  50. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

That may have to do with the availability part. For example, maybe Matt was unavailable on 8/2 but really needs to be there for the "interesting" part. Hey, then the clue to your Floyd would be "Pink"! Well done!

• Like Like x 2