Simrail 2021 Vs Tsw2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arapajoe3, Oct 13, 2020.

1. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

The last I heard was sometime before the end of July, but looking at it realistically, because we have been seeing it put back so much I expect it to arrive before the end of the year!!! September is my guess! Was originally due August 2021.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is a good release how many will jump ship or continue to play both (expensive).

3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think it largely depends on the content. I will probably give it a go to see what it is like but as I mainly prefer UK content if none emerges then I probably won't invest in it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dhekelian

Same here, hope there is UK content.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Watched the demo and it looks quite good. Polish developers are very talented and studios have the potential to handle large projects, as you can see in RPG hits like "The Witcher" or "Cyberpunk". It also uses the latest graphic technologies, by showing of beautiful volume light effects, motion blur and realistic material and shadow rendering. So it's definitly more modern than the good old "Classic" TS. The main difference between Sim Rail and TSW is the game engine. Sim Rail uses "Unity" and TSW uses "Unreal Engine". I personally like TSW better, because it can also be played on console and meanwhile has a large variety of routes and rolling stock. In contrast, Sim Rail is still in its infancy and has to build up a fan base first in order to become profitable. By focusing on Polish trains, one can first target the rail fans living in the region and later expand to countries that TSW hasn't covered yet. This way the two games don't get in each other's way, as if everyone was doing the same thing...

• Like Like x 1
  6. theorganist

Yes of course, it would be good for them to concentrate on other regions otherwise we will just get similar things repeated. I am looking forward to seeing what it is like.

• Like Like x 3
  7. orb

orb Well-Known Member

But doesn't it mean they shouldn't even think about making any UK content, which has been covered by every other train simulator, but which also is what you are only interested in?

8. theorganist

Well it is up to them to decide which markets they want to appeal to. If they don't make any UK content then that is fair enough, presumably they will also not make any German or American content. It won't stop me purchasing Simrail but it might mean I won't be purchasing lots of DLC for it in the future as you can only have so much.

And UK content is what I am mainly interested in, not ONLY interested, I enjoy plenty of content from other countries but concentrate mainly on the UK as that is where I have grown up and where my main railway interests and knowledge lie.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Competition is inevitable, and third-party developers will move a lot of content into it. At present, the development environment of TSW is closed, and third-party development is very difficult, because to develop DLC for TSW, it is necessary to understand the relevant knowledge of Unreal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dhekelian

Although TSW2 is what 5 years old? When Simrail drops it will have to play catch up for a while but given that DTG hasn't really expanded to many countries it won't take them long.

• Like Like x 2
  11. breblimator

breblimator Guest

UEngine is old
    Unity is old too

12. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Unreal Engine might be old, but it can do wonders. In TSW it's not exploited.

• Like Like x 3
  13. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Hope simrail arrives soon. It appears that TSW has no plans to develop long-haul routes. It seems that TSW's current plan is to focus on fixing bugs and improving the authenticity and experience of multiple DLCs!

14. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

TSW really needs to get out of the 3 "default" country. Its just boring. Simrail finally brings some new. I cant be bothered with a new german route. There's more than enough of it. I just hope simrail gonna support scripting addons with new signal system and vigilance devices.

• Like Like x 6
  15. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Matt's mentioned on stream that they want more third party devs to get involved with TSW in order to expand the covered regions of the game. DTG have got enough work on their hands focusing on the core three regions. If they added more countries to the rotation, fans of UK/GER/USA routes would be waiting a lot longer between releases. As a UK focused player, I'm personally glad they've kept it as is.

Hopefully as more third parties join, TSW will expand like Rivet has with Arosa and Luzern-Sursee. Leaving DTG to cover the core regions.

16. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

If all the rest of us have had to wait forever, I'm sure they could afford a bit of waiting - and unlike us, with fifty trillion routes already released for their benefit, it would be much easier for them to entertain themselves in the meanwhile.

More on topic: Simrail looks awesome, but as mentioned above, if they don't enable an editor so that people can add routes from around the world, it will become just as one-dimensional and repetitive as TSW2 has.

• Like Like x 3
  17. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it will include an editor, also multiplayer, both are big plus points for me. I'm sure these functions have been mentioned by the developers several times. It would be a shame if these were dropped, but I would still buy given the quality of the prologue and demo versions.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

Show "Train Crew" and Dev Work:
    "-Open and close doors, insert and remove keys from the door switch
    -Buzzer signal for train departure
    -Safety check on the side of the train
    -Checking the rear of the train after leaving the platform
    -In-train broadcasting (using tablet terminals)"

The Arosaline is basically "already equipped" for this on the platforms.
    You could have installed all of that in an MP at TSW. Nothing was done.

19. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Yet. I'm sure at some point MP will find it's way into TSW2. But it's a big project. And there were and are other projects before that, like steam. They can't do everything at once. Same for SimRail. I doubt, they'll release the big routes, the dispatcher mode and the MP at the same time. They already changed the release date so much which just means: Developing something good isn't done overnight. I do hope that SimRail will be a good game because at the end according so liberal-market theory ( -which is btw really bad at describing real-world situations), competition forces innovation if you want to survive. So that again could mean that TSW also get's better.

• Like Like x 1
  20. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

SimRail channels seem awfully quiet lately...The game should release this month or the next according to Steam, yet there hasn't been any update since May on Facebook, even longer on Steam...

• Like Like x 1
  21. dhekelian

A lot of games go quiet before release as they are polishing the game and trying to correct any bugs last minute. I'm not saying this is the case here but might be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. praxidike.meng

True, and I hope you are right. It's just that in one of their past updates they said some sort of a countdown will begin, but then only silence. Let's hope they are indeed just too busy getting ready to release the game.

• Like Like x 2
  23. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

steam always claim games are being released 'soon' and make up dates to keep people happy.

i'd prefer it if the simrail team took another year before release if that's how much time they needed to get most things right, rather than release a half completed and rushed product,

First impressions of the full release will be a big thing here,
    lots of people are hoping for something that will be better than TSW2,
    But a lot more people are ready to pick out every little fault and do all they can to make the project fail.

24. dhekelian

Don't know know about anyone else but I am looking forward to it and hope they do some UK content to give me the excuse to buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I wish them the best of luck, but like some other people, there is currently nothing of interest for me. Hopefully in the future there can be (Whether officially or 3rd party)

26. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

i only like to drive German trains and routes,
    but i am still interested in SimRail, because if they can pull it off they may have something that can become amazing.

We need a proper train driving simulator with good graphics, where you feel you are actually driving a train and not playing a game,
    sure you will need to learn how to operate the train, and from what i've seen so far this is the route they are going down, i.e. changing the headlight configuration before being routed on the wrong track, radio used to tell you when you've been routed to a different platform, most switches and levers are operational etc.

but of course the bit that will really ensure this simulator is still being used in 10 years time is the ability for almost anyone to make content for it,
    So it may start out as a polish railway simulator, but once people around the world get hold of it's editor / SDK, anything is possible.

• Like Like x 2
  27. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Would you try making Hauptstrecke Berlin Breslau (Wroclaw) (HBB) on the SDK for Simrail Or RE4 Dresden Hbf Dresden Klotzsche Gorlitz Breslau DB BR644 642 633

28. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

Just to update from the various sources the devs are releasing (or not) information to:
    - they haven't updated Facebook since June
    - they haven't touched Steam since *January* and the release date on the latter has been changed (again) from 'Q2 2022' to 'Coming soon'
    - the publisher site (Poland's least reliable company) has this very month (Aug 2022) as the date! I will give everyone on this site 10 zlotych if this comes true
    - SteamDB suggests December 2022 - I trust this slightly more than PlayWay's estimate, but only because it's further away.*

* - NB, I'm not including Discord announcements as they're done through the publisher's hub, meaning you automatically sign up for posts about every crappy game those guys release (from 'Garage Flipper' to a bunch of ripoffs of more famous games) so I'm not up for that sacrifice, sorry. All reports suggest that this is equally dead, though.

Is the project dead? Probably not. Will we ever see it in a form that meets the initial promise? I'll just say I'm glad we have TSC and TSW to play, because I no longer expect anything from this game. It's a pity, I really was looking forward to seeing Poland's trains in a more modern presentation than MaSzyna and the demos were really promising. As has been patiently explained up-thread by DTG staff, though, getting a full simulator to publishable state is clearly a big task that may have been more than the team here expected. I was cautiously optimistic, as you'll see from my previous posts here, but I've since relegated my enthusiasm to "I'll be pleased if it comes out at all and has the full Kato-Warsaw route initially promised". It's definitely more likely to see daylight than PlayWay's 'Trans Siberian Railway Sim', in the way I'm more likely to become a millionaire than a billionaire, but otherwise I think we can safely write this one off as a damp squib.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  29. praxidike.meng

I no longer think we will see this game in any forseeable future. Updates are scarcer than water in a desert and the release date on Steam page has been pushed back to vague "coming soon". To be honest, I'm not surprised it has come to this. The scope of this game was enormous from the start, and if TSW and TSC are any indication, such undertaking of this magnitude would certainly require a far bigger timeframe than was originally promised.

• Like Like x 1
  30. driverwoods#1787

you mean 2 Eur since 1 EUR gets 5 pln. For me I'm for TSW3

31. dhekelian

Ah what a shame. The game was looking good as well.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

TSW was announced in 2014 and came out in 2017, with a limited beta in 2016 I believe. That means the game was in development for at least four years, so SimRail may be in development for that amount or longer.

33. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Give them some time. It takes 6-9 months for our teams to create a route even when they know the tools and systems well and the game is (broadly speaking) stable. Engineering new tech then pulling together the tools to allow the creation of routes, locos to a high enough standard is going to take a while.

• Like Like x 8
  34. Rybnicki

It's not about impatience and not giving them time - it's about how over the past two years they have promised, to my memory, 4 different release dates so far and obviously met none of them. All with zero explanation. I'm used to sim companies treating their customers like fools but this is beyond that, not even treating them with contempt - simply ignoring them entirely.

PlayWay are notorious in Poland for all their products ending up like this, and the devs have been working with simulators for years, perhaps longer than some of the Dovetail team, so I don't think a few more months will change much. They've had 6-9 months, over 5 times. Absolutely no reason to put any faith in this project henceforth.

• Like Like x 2
  35. JarkPomsky

JarkPomsky Member

• Like Like x 5
  36. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Superior sounds. This year is so fantastic. Run 8 V3, TSW 3, and now This \o/ :)

37. driverwoods#1787

Is this locomotive the same age as an East German DR Baureihe 250 DB Baureihe 155 from Ruhr Sieg Nord. If so Simrail EU7 PKP Polish Railways answer to the TSW 2020 2 & 3 DB Baureihe 155 tap changer locomotive. Maximum power is attained on the higher level taps. VEB Hans Beimler Baureihe 250 DB BR155 28-30 max power.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  38. Rybnicki

Nice update at last - though it strikes me we're still in Silesia and not the other end of the 500km of track, and this hub station doesn't yet have complete platform signage... I'm still not confident of a 2022 release, not before Christmas at the earliest anyway.

39. Rybnicki

Its closest relative internationally is the British Class 83, in fact - Poland bought the designs to make the predecessor EU06 and this was the mid 60s upgrade. Tap control though, yes.

40. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for the information and for the Class 83 it can arrive in-game for WCML South Birmingham Milton Keynes London Euston if set in the 1960s. At least DTG TSW 3 has an answer to Sim Rail PKP EU06 in the form of Class 83 if TSW 3 community wants a British tap changer locomotive for WCML South if the community wants it in BR Blue. Simrail can probably make a PKP EU04 made by VEB Hans Beimler Hennigsdorf the maker of DB BR143 DB BR155.
    Here's what a PKP EU04 looks like
    [​IMG]
    Another Simrail PKP loco if they want it is the ST44 Ukraine Russia M62. DTG version Riesa-Dresden Rapid Transit Tharandter Rampe DR BR120 Taigatrommel. ST44 was called Gagarin as its nickname
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  41. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

I joined their Discord to see if there was any news and feedback section, and there were so many channels for all their different titles, it honestly put me off.

42. Rybnicki

It's a terrible system that I can only assume is part of the publishing contract, not getting your own server. I get that the publishers are not the developer but with the best will in the world, deciding to go with them is a bad idea from the off. Anyway, I'm aware I'm a stuck record on this so I'll pipe down until I'm proven happily wrong about the project.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

I didn't think of distinguishing the two; the impression it left was a studio "pumping out" simulators, not one that cared about player feedback.

44. robbo2k

robbo2k Member

The publisher of Simrail is Maximus Games. This could mean two things. Planned entry to consoles and content outside of Poland

45. Pit

Pit Member

Players in multiplayer mode can use both text and voice communication.
    The traffic dispatcher also has a telephone for communication with neighboring stations.

c6800ee53e8aa9570a8b5497cfbac8fc1372910bb68cf24444ba1dc59a32e8fe_0.jpeg

Stations that are not served temporarily by players are supported by Virtual Dispatcher, which, using AI algorithms, can handle the post and communicate with real players.
    Thanks to this, train traffic takes place around the clock.

• Like Like x 3
  46. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

Is there any controller support in the paid version? I only tested the trial and you can't even change keybinds.

47. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

Playway and Maximum Games.
    Consoles, no. This have been stated by the developers several times. In the future maybe, but it can barely run on a high end computer right now. To my knowledge Maximum Games have never published any games online. Only boxed versions. My guess is that Playway will release the game online, and Maximum Games will release it on CD/DVD.

• Like Like x 2
  48. JarkPomsky

JarkPomsky Member

Developers confirmed on Facebook that there is support for NVIDIA DLSS and AMD FSR, performance will increase.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Pit

Pit Member

Będzin station signal box at day ☀️ & night
    Screenshot_77e4a29a-c0ee-43ec-8692-4533ffe9a8f7.jpg
    Screenshot_bec19d95-86f3-47ee-8512-24cfc59ed777.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  50. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

They said it will have controller support