Tsw3 - The Cat Is Out Of The Bag & The Unofficial Tsw3 Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

To make you spend more money.

Cheers

• Like Like x 7
  2. Cloadmcally

Cloadmcally Active Member

A couple of queries:

If I'm only interested in the German route, but own both SEHS and SoS, my best bet would be to buy the German Starter Pack, Which would get me the core update, the updates for the two routes, and would only leave out Cajon pass, is this right?

Also, where are these starter packs at, can't find them on the steam store page.

Cheers

3. The eurostar would look good running alongside the 395 though.

4. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Not sure whether to pick this up. US freight isn’t my thing, SEHS I found a bit underwhelming, with an extension it might be ok.. the German route looks alright but I don’t know. Time will tell, I’ll see what it’s like before finally deciding. Right now my money is staying with me for MSFS.

5. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I'm more curious about what happened to the premise of the TSxx approach to core updates. I think that's the upsetting thing for me and many other people who are not normally buying new routes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Question for tomorrow. Will the game
    Include a benchmark function

7. EchoKilo

EchoKilo Member

That's how I understood it. I have SEHS, so if I pick up the German Starter Pack, I'd get updated SEHS as well, but not the new US route. I could live with that, as US heavy freight isn't so much of an interest to me. The biggest stumbling block to me are the new system requirements... I may have to give TSW3 a pass until I learn more about how it performs. (I hope that the remaining preservation crew updates will be released for TSW2 as well...)

If I understood correctly, the starter packs will be available once the game is launched. It's not possible to pre-order those.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PseudoStalker

PseudoStalker Well-Known Member

So i7-11600K & RTX 3070 sounds like a great optimisation improvements. Really? Is this for 4K resolution or is it so bad at all?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Another issue I feel is that the starter packs seem set too close to the pricing of the standard edition. $10 off is too lean when they're taking away two thirds of the content in my mind. Route DLCs have been standardize at $30 for TSW, and with the starter packs only having a single route I think that would make perfect sense here. The starter packs make a lot more sense at a $20 discount over base pricing than $10 off.

• Like Like x 3
  10. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Bethesda have been doing this for years and tbh DTG do like to model themselves on them. Creation Club?

Rivet games cracked how to do Lightning and wanted to put it into the latest IOW they released but DTG told them to remove it 'as it could trigger some people'. So either now DTG don't care about said people or the effect is watered down.

I was looking at the different versions of TSW3 and the only one interested me was the UK standard version which included SEHS for £29.99. I already own that but it would still cost me £29.99. So I would have to re buy all my existing routes as well?

You can bugger off. This is a money grab, a royal one at that. Why have they released TSW3 when it is still UE 4.26? so all these tweaks could of been made in TSW2. I bet people who bought SOS and IOW are not happy. DTG can't even answer if it will run properly on the Xbox Series S (which is 9th gen). I would advise people not to pre order untill they are fully aware what they are getting and what they have to pay, I still wouldn't after that.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Fully agree there was no need to retitle it. This kind of thing just confuses new players. Which is often the intended goal. Just sell the same bundle of new longer distance routes at the same price with their weather enhancements as "TSW2: Long Haul" and update the main menu system for every TSW2 owner.

• Like Like x 6
  12. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Just FYI, the issue with lightning was that there wasn't the option to toggle (epilepsy warning) (and the lightning is what was made by DTG for with TSW3 in mind, which was used by Rivet - similar to the third-rail sparks).

• Like Like x 1
  13. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

The new lighting and weather features and the new UI look great so far, however what will happen to loco DLCs? Will they become bundled with their relevant routes at launch, like the Class 465 on the new SEHS? Or is this only for SEHS?

• Like Like x 1
  14. DTG JD

Depends what you mean. For the 465, it'll be bundled into the new SEHS. All others will remain as they are.

The Training Center will allow us to separate routes and locos in the future, but we'll start with new TSW3 Add-ons first.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Callum B.

There aren't any screenshots of the updated Liverpool route on the main website, Steam, or Epic so I'll post these here for anyone that was curious.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The most interesting thing in my opinion is the appearance of the sky at sunset. It looks like an improvement but I wonder how the ambient lighting on the ground will hold up.

Cheers

• Like Like x 8
  16. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

I wish there was a slightly less expensive option (maybe normal route price?) for those who have sehs and sos and just want the upgraded features and route. Just because we have bought £40 of tsw dlc especially if we only play UK dlc. :)

• Like Like x 9
  17. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Actually when the announced preserved collection they also said they were gonna bring over all the routes, but that was back when they original weren't planning to add TSW2 features to them. It was after they changed course and added adhesion to all the routes that they trashed NEC: New York. I don't think it's likely for a repeat of the situation to happen given there's no change to the Unreal Engine this time, but unlikely isn't the same as it being impossible.
    That's insane, Microsoft Flight Simulator's recommend spec on Steam is a GTX 970, which is considerably less than what DTG are asking for here. I'd also note that while not on Steam Microsoft actually published what they considered a ideal spec list for it as well that's tier above recommended. They considered the ideal graphics card to be a RTX 2080, which granted isn't that much less powerful than a 3070 I believe. But the fact that TSW's got any specs above the ideal list in what is probably the most demanding simulator around is ridiculous.
    They haven't though, the only version of SEHS coming to TSW3 is the extended version, they've not implemented anything special for it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Thanks. It seems a bit weird having one loco DLC becoming essentially redundant (the Class 465) whilst the others stay in the same format, i.e. needing the base route to run it (DLC for DLC). And if new TSW3 add-ons use a different format, it gets confusing quickly (wouldn't like to be a new player trying to understand what to purchase).

19. PseudoStalker

PseudoStalker Well-Known Member

DTG JD, Please tell us where we can find this bundle of TSW3 with free SEHS for the owners? I've only see 2 bundles with all 3 routes and 2 bundles of 1 of each non-SEHS route which summary costs more then 3 routes version. Looks like there is no free SEHS for owners, whos wants to bought 2 new routes.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

If trains/locos will no longer be tied to routes, will this extend to Preserved Collection trains, too, or will they be tied to the route?

If the goal is for trains to no longer be tied to routes, how will Dovetail Games reconcile the multiple different versions of certain trains/locos/passenger cars/freight cars that exist (like Dostos)?

With the renewed focus on immersive weather/skies and lighting, and hinted-at functional TPWS on SEHS, will there be a similar effort to increase the functionality of in-cab buttons and switches/guard panels? (E.g. the Harlem Line M3A has a functional guard buzzer on both the cab desk and the guard panel; but on the M7A, the buzzer only functions on the desk.)

• Like Like x 2
  21. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Biggest question for the RM tomorrow is will DTG JD be leaking details of TSW4?

• Like Like x 9
  22. dhekelian

So you're saying that the new feature was dropped because a 'toggle' couldn't be made, WOW! No coders at DTG could do a toggle for it?

I looked at their different versions and looked at the UK versions. One is for SOS but I will not touch that with a barge pole and the other was a standard UK version that includes SEHS for £29.99. If you already have the route that is tough you get no discount and have to pay full whack, unless I'm wrong JD?

I'd like to see how far DTG back their new lighting system for TSW3. I challenge them to drive a train at 1.00am in the morning and let us see the quality of the lighting. Preferably Cathcart. Also will GWE be available in TSW3?

• Like Like x 2
  23. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

On the plus side, gen 8 isn't being dropped which is good for those users. I wonder what those people who were calling for it to be dropped are thinking now. Also if your on gamepass, you get the standard edition for free I believe. Although I think $50 is a bit ridiculous for this game for non xbox gamepass users

I don't get why dtg won't do what they did with rush hour by having the bundle and the option to buy these routes separately. It gave players options. That was a fantastic concept they introduced so I don't get why they didn't re- introduce that option other than trying to just get the most money as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  24. globbits73

globbits73 Member

It's not just a dev adding toggle - it needs someone from the art / UI team to go over it and make sure the settings screen still looks readable, the text would need localising, QA would need to go through everything to make sure the toggle doesn't break every other bit of DLC (even though no other bit of DLC will use it). And I'm sure that all of the people who needed to get involved are currently busy doing TSW3 work, instead of adding one setting for one small feature in one bit of third party DLC.

I don't work for DTG, but if they're anything like the place I do work for, things are rarely as simple as "just adding a toggle" - if it was, the toggle would just get added, and no one would even notice it was there.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

The BNSF ES44C4 is quite a bit different in terms of functionality. It only has four powered axles and the ability to "lift" (=lower the load on) the middle unpowered axle to put on more weight on the powered ones and increase the traction on them. The loco trucks are basically "changing shape" to adapt to the needed performance.

• Like Like x 1
  26. JBVector

JBVector New Member

Did I hear correctly they are adding a sandbox free roam?

27. dhekelian

I feel the same. I'm glad gen8 are included but what sort of experience they get is anyone's guess. I get the feeling that Xbox Series S owners are getting nervous as well with memory issues (just remembered I have one of those :cool:)

Normally I would agree with you but we are talking about DTG. DTG the ones that said the overhead cables couldn't be removed from GWE where a week later modders did just that and more. DTG where they have struggled with lighting since the beginning and another modder, londonmidland, is fixing that and without the tools DTG have at it's disposal so pardon me with my 'lack of faith'.

• Like Like x 4
  28. globbits73

globbits73 Member

Sure, but modders don't need to worry about logging their time against whatever work their managers have told them to do, or don't need to worry about getting sign off from 3 other departments, or getting QA to spend many multiples of days testing it against every bit of product they release, etc.

We don't know for example that DTG didn't try to remove the overhead cables, found 3 different unrelated bugs, and decided it was low enough priority to not fix or safer to leave it alone - a modder can just hack it out, cross their fingers, and say "here's a zip, good luck!". Or maybe the person who originally added the overhead cables had left, and no one on the appropriate team had the time or expertise to reverse engineer the old code - again, a modder who is doing this in their spare time can just have a go, and if they work out how, then great, otherwise, no one would ever know they tried.

Or of course it could all just be a one line change, and Matt vetoed it for some arbitrary / future release reason, we'll probably never know on the outside. But what I do know from many, many years in the industry, is that software developement in any company bigger than a few people really is harder and more involved than a lot of people expect.

• Like Like x 6
  29. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

You saying these are ingame shots from TSW3? If so more please :P

30. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I must say I'm rather distressed at this marketing approach, which IMO could have been handled like Rush Hour last year- the functional core improvements were a free update for everyone, who then had the option of buying the new routes individually or bundled.

Back when TSW2 was released for cash money, Matt, Sam and everyone else were very apologetic at having been forced for financial reasons to do something they didn't want to do, so they said. I haven't heard a hint of expressed reluctance or apology this time around.

• Like Like x 8
  31. DTG JD

If you were to get the Regional Starter Pack, that would entitle you to the SEHS upgrade for free (you'd get either Kassel/Cajon Pass and then on release day, the updated SEHS would be available for you to download).

• Like Like x 1
  32. DTG JD

Quite a few questions here - will try to answer them:

1) We're starting with future TSW3 routes. It may be something the Preservation Crew picks up in future, but new Add-ons will be the first focus.

2) I'll make a note of this one for the Q&A session/Roadmap, as I don't know the answer to hand at the moment.

3) We always strive to provide the best experience we can - each Add-on we build new tech and options. I can't say definitively, but for TSW3 core routes, I'd encourage you to tune into the preview streams as it'll give you the best answer on that one!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  33. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

DTG is a business. The pricing model is designed to provide options but to have the best value be the most expensive option that they'd prefer you buy. This is basic product pricing strategy, not some nefarious scheme. It's not about being "fair". Buy more things bundled and the price of the bundled things comes down.

• Like Like x 3
  34. DTG JD

There are the regional editions, which will essentially give you the core game, Training Center (which is effectively a new, if small, route) and a regional edition for a lower cost. If you own SEHS/SOS, you'll get the updated versions free (will need a download on release day, but you'll be entitled to it).

The new lighting will only be a feature on the TSW3 routes (dynamic weather will be a feature of TSW2-compatible content), but we'll aim to show the routes in different conditions, as we do with most previews.

GWE will, of course, be ported over to TSW3, but as mentioned above, the new feature will be dynamic weather.

35. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

So we are still stuck with the black soup over everything on TSW2 routes?

Less and less reason to splash out £40 on this.

This is from the Konstanz route in TSC just now, beautiful.
    TSCNight.jpg

If TSW3 can't deliver that experience for all our routes, what's the point?

• Like Like x 5
  36. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

You know that if it would be easy they would implement it for the TSW2 routes?
    Have you thought about the fact that it might be complicated to change the whole lighting system for more than 50 routes? The people in DTG have got an own passion for this game, and trust me if it would be easy they would be the first that would want to implement the new lighting system on older routes.
    I read through this thread and instead of positive feedback I can see a lot of comments that some people were predicting before the announcement. In germany we call that “Nietenzähler”… And yeah, everyone should share their opinion! But the people here are only sharing the negativ things! Instead of saying “we finally got longer routes/dynamic wheather/etc.” you only hear “we didn’t get XYZ”

If you don’t want to buy the game, then don’t do it! But commenting something like “Less and less reason to splash out £40 on this.” on something that a lot of people have been working on with passion because the lighting isn’t getting upgraded for older routes is just not really nice.

• Like Like x 7
  37. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I totally disagree here, I don't think Old Vern was in any way being nasty or not very nice. He is entitled to his opinion on whether TSW3 is value for money and he has given his reasoning why it isn't, that's called feedback and if none of us ever gave negative feedback then nothing will improve, he didn't resort to name calling and calling the Devs every name under the sun so think you are being a little precious on DTG behalf.

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  38. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

I was not intending to reject anyone from giving negative feedback. That’s why it’s called a forum. The thing is, that I really don’t like that people here are often very fast with looking at what we don’t have, instead of looking what we have.
    I did not mean to offend anyone here, and if that’s the case I apologise! I was only intending to let people think about all the nice things we get, instead of only picking out the things we don’t.

• Like Like x 5
  39. whatshappin

whatshappin New Member

Will the old tsw2 routes continue to be improved and fixed ?

40. Callum B.

I pulled them from the Xbox store page. I don't see any further SoS screenshots for TSW3.

Cheers

41. DTG JD

The current Preservation Crew updates on the Roadmap are currently planned to be released for both games (they may come to TSW3 before TSW2 though).

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. tallboy7648

We are entitled to our own opinions. Nobody here has to be nice to DTG. They are trying to sell us a product and we have a right to praise the product and criticize the product as we see fit. If you don't like that then perhaps these fourms are not the best place for you.

I hear the Facebook discussions of tsw tend to have "positivity". Perhaps that would be a better place for you if you can't handle constructive criticism

• Like Like x 12
  43. dhekelian

nice to hear about GWE but I am right in thinking the UK standard pack featuring the SEHS will cost me £29.99 if I have the route or not? I'm sure I saw it stated there will be no discount which I find disappointing. So basically DTG is charging for updates. Could you explain why these updates could not be put into TSW2?

I'll be the first to give positive feedback when I see value in purchasing a new game. If you are happy to pay for a weather update then great but please do not expect everyone to fall in line especially in this 'cost of living' crisis many are going through. If I shell out for a new game I'd to feel that is a worthwhile purchase and tbh TSW3 to me at this moment in time is anything but.

The Bethesda way DTG trolled us with the unveiling of TSW3 left some of us feeling , meh. DTG had the opportunity to introduce something new, especially with the UK route. Like the Carlisle route plus a new Loco to boot but no, what do we get? A slightly longer SEHS with the same Loco's. Instead of this TSW3 if DTG had concentrated on the fixes that were promised, fixed the lighting, fixed the console problems and released a few Loco's to flush out all the empty routes I would bet a lot more people would be happy don't you?

• Like Like x 6
  44. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Well that's another thing. We were told that they were taking a break to work on fixes. It turns out that was a lie.

• Like Like x 4
  45. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I am confused if the lighting is not coming to the routes in TSW2 even in their TSW3 versions, why not? I thought it was a core change to the entire lighting system. That is a big issue really, as I am sure you aren't about to remake all of the routes so many items that people have will be stuck with duff lighting.

• Like Like x 6
  46. chieflongshin

Agree with chap above. Be thankful for all the awesome things you are getting. Miserable sods. Personally I’ll snap it all up bar that lame duck SOS

• Like Like x 4
  47. dhekelian

You should add the word 'IF' to the start of my quote in your message. ;)

TBH I think DTG might be looking to forget TSW2 a.s.a.p.

• Like Like x 1
  48. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Only really if you are remaining with TSW2 and not TSW3 or your not interested in the new extension Version and select either US, SOS or German pack

Edit: same thing kind of happened with the BR182 with HBL and RT, only differences are mostly livery and service type

49. chieflongshin

Tsw2 will disappear faster than they’ll ever admit. 9 platforms over two games. No chance. Just wait until you get all the people start asking if tsw3 features will be backported to 2.

those ones are out there in the player base who won’t comprehend it’s a new game

• Like Like x 1
  50. tallboy7648

It'll be interesting to hear why they are charging players for an updated version of the same game again even though they "felt bad" about charging for TSW 2 but I think it's clear why they did what they did.

Money talks in the end $$$$$

• Like Like x 5