Tsw3 - The Cat Is Out Of The Bag & The Unofficial Tsw3 Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I am asking about the routes which will be ported into TSW3 from TSW2. I know the ones in TSW2 are dead in the water, but what about when we play GWE TVL NTP etc in TSW3 - do we get just the dynamic weather or the new lighting system and passengers with umbrellas etc?

• Like Like x 1
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m saving my comments until I’ve seen the roadmaps and potentially the live stream because there are some answers I need before I go full on with my praise or wraith. As with all things there are both good and bad here and some usual odd choices by DTG. Extending SEHS was the perfect choice for not having to make a new train but beyond that a little strange for example. At least if we already own it we can get it for free by buying it again. That’s going to be my running gag for quite some time I feel.

• Like Like x 5
  3. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I’ve heard (take with pinch of salt as I can’t find to clarify it)

lighting is TSW3 routes only

Lightning is TSW2+3 (not %100 heard anything on Preserved TSW1) Same goes with Weather settings

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I'm feeling like the reason this is a new paid version instead of a core patch like Rush Hour is that the new features and changes required an extensive rewrite of the code rather than just tweaks. Basically, DTG feels that the investment of time and money they put into this upgrade justifies releasing it as a new game. Granted, an assumption.

5. Calidore266

No, it wasn't. DTG has recently released numerous fixes, and they were certainly working on TSW3 when those came out.

Furthermore, I don't think they would dare abandon the fixes and Preservation Crew updates they still have in queue. One, it would send a terrible message to both TSW2 players looking to upgrade and to new players about DTG's commitment to them. Two, the beefy specs apparently needed to run TSW3 well, especially the still-pricey GPUs, probably means lots of current TSW2 players who want to upgrade are going to have to hold off.

For DTG to simply abandon TSW2 now would be very much shooting themselves in the foot for no gain.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

not too mention work still ongoing for livery compatibility of preservation Collection

7. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

So, when replacing the lighting system for any game, there's a lot more than just replacing it within the engine.
    There's a whole load of work needs to be done within individual maps within the game to alter every light source to function under the new system. Look at stuff like Digital Foundry's in-depth video on how the Metro Exodus devs adapted all that game's maps to use the new lighting system included in their raytracing update. Everything had to be ripped out and replaced, because the lighting system now worked on wholly different principles. In TSW2, all that lighting baked into the older routes will need to be reworked for the new system, or you'll get messy areas with lighting bugs. So yeah, adding it would be a matter for the preservation crew, and need to be done on a route by route basis.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

As much as I would love to see the older routes upgraded, I have a feeling that the task of reconfiguring all the light sources in a route to match the new lighting system is out the Preservation Crew's reach. DTG did say that the new SEHS version was built practically from scratch, and I have a suspicion that the lighting setup massive contributed to the headache. I doubt we will see the new lighting, but maybe if we're lucky we might get some volumetric clouds to complement the dynamic weather.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  9. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I mean I guess you could look at the lighting improvments and weather a a fix...though not a free one lol.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

:D

I too am waiting for more information, though I must admit to being pretty impressed at this point. We're getting several things that we've been asking for forever, it seems, lighting upgrade, dynamic weather, smarter NPC's, longer routes.

I'm not yet sold on the new UI, it looks a bit confusing. And no upgraded map. That's a big letdown for me.

The price grid is also less than intuitive. But with a 10% discount and early access, I'll probably pop for the Deluxe, even though I own SEHS and SOS, since it'll be only $5 more than the Standard, just to make sure I don't miss out on anything.

But I still want to watch the streams before laying down the moola.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Crosstie

You have a right to your opinion, but so does OldVern. It's not necessary to " be nice" to DTG. It's a company, not a person. So, if someone is constructively critical, that actually helps DTG more than giving them unfettered praise. I and others on the forum, including you, if memory serves me, have been both critical and complimentary where appropriate over the last few years, and that's how it should be.

Do you think we'd be getting all the " nice things " in TSW3, if we, on the forum hadn't complained about their absence ad nauseam?

• Like Like x 8
  12. Callum B.

Now if they were a corporation then they would earn personhood. ;)

Cheers

13. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Still dont get the part with the existing tsw 2 content.

I own every single tsw2 dlc. So in this case it means i need to buy the tsw3 base pack and SEHS & SOS will be updated to tsw 3 standard for free?
    Also i can still run every other tsw 2 dlc, and if for example London 2 Brighton comes out for tsw 3, ill get it for free because i have it already in tsw2?

One thing is for sure. I dont spend money in something to buy it again 2 years later.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

To be honest, it can’t be any worse than TSW2’s UI, so I’ll take it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I wonder what type of performance “recommended” gets and what fps?
    I have a 2080ti, i9-10900 and 64gb of Ram

I’m wondering if I’ll still get 60fps and ultra settings at 1440

1281A7B9-C101-4C33-B15C-877A17868513.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  16. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

They are a business not a charity. They are not working on it for the love of the game, they are working on ot for a pay cheque - this is not some freeware project for MSTS or TSC.

At no point in my posts on here have I been rude or offhand to DTG as a company or individuals. However, lighting, sound and the save game are probably the three biggest issues which afflict TSW2 and I really don’t see much point in spending £40 on a new version with three routes I don’t really want if it’s not going to improve previous content.

As a consumer or a potential customer I am simply asking some factual questions which will determine if and/or when I actually buy the product.

• Like Like x 10
  17. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

touché :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. heliq

heliq Active Member

Will the new DLCs already include new lights and weather?

I'm talking about which will be released later. Not 3 basic.

• Like Like x 1
  19. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

As far as I'm aware, yes.

Yes.

Time will tell in regards to that..

This is similar to what happened with TSW2020 when TSW2 was announced. Some people don't mind and will be happy to pay for TSW3, others will moan, some may never buy it, but most will bite the bullet eventually. I personally don't see the point in buying as the standard version will be available on GamePass but if I did eventually buy it then I look at it from the view that, I don't own any of the new routes so would I be happy to pay £24.99 (standard price of route DLC) x 3 for them plus new features and upgrades or £39.99 for 3 new routes plus new features and upgrades..

• Like Like x 1
  20. chieflongshin

I thought the older routes were being upgraded with these features? Have I misunderstood?

21. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Sure I read somewhere on here they’re not, which is what prompted my post last night. DTG need to confirm this.

• Like Like x 1
  22. chieflongshin

Dont know OldVern to be honest mate.

23. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

As far as I know they are being upgraded if you own TSW3; e.g. the new weather will come to older routes. The only feature that the old routes don’t get is the new lighting. But as far as I’m aware, only in TSW3- but would be cool to be proven wrong!

• Like Like x 1
  24. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

From what I've seen:
    The routes that are being supplied with the base game and the deluxe addition (to SoS) are all being updated with all the new features
    ***EDIT*** If you own the TSW2 SEHS or the TSW2 SoS you will get these DLC in the NEW version in TSW3 rather than having to "buy them again". So if you get the US TSW3 bundle you get the updated SEHS if you owned that route in TSW2

All other routes are being supplied "in TSW form" so old skybox clouds etc, but the things which are part of the core will be on all routes

A note from DTG on what those core features are would be good, but that's what the two roadmaps should kick off this week. Hopefully ONE will concentrate on what's happening with TSW2 and the other will concentrate on what's moving / copying / upcoming in TSW3 rather than it being a hodgepodge of both

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Amtrak_Fan

Amtrak_Fan Well-Known Member

For me I'm gonna have to go for the German regional edition. I don't really have a defined love of German trains, as I am more of an Amtrak guy (add the Acela please I beg you), but to be honest the ICE 1 looks very promising, and actually did a tour of north America with the Amtrak logo on it. For Cajon I could just get it in Run8 and play multiplayer with my friends, not to mention that in Run8 you actually feel tension going up the slopes as you don't know if your going to snap a knuckle, and the fact that you can have multiple engine faults makes the experience amazing. I've already got SEHS so I don't really care about that, and steam isn't really my thing so German edition it is.

I don't mind playing 10 dollar's for a new version of tsw with some quality improvements, however my wallet is not infinite, so please don't keep releasing new tsw titles (looking at you tsw 4) unless there's a giant update. This is not horrible thought.

*Edit: Fixed bad grammar*

• Like Like x 2
  26. Calidore266

This is how I'm understanding it, too. It sounds like TSW3 has implemented backwards compatibility to play TSW2 routes as is (just requiring a re-download), while beefing the routes up with TSW3 features a la SEHS 2 would be a manual development process and a separate release.

And keeping in that full backwards compatibility on top of rewriting the game for all this other stuff must have taken quite some work, so big thanks to DTG for that.

• Like Like x 2
  27. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

They are a corporation (which have been legal persons for centuries; otherwise they couldn't own property, enter into contracts etc etc)

28. ARuscoe

We shall see how much of a rework / import / cut and paste the TSW2 versions were to TSW3. It could be they're exactly the same as the old ones and given it's the same UE4.26 engine there would not necessarily be much to do to get them to work (unlike going from TSW1 to TSW2 where they had things like signal lights changing to cars etc)

• Like Like x 1
  29. Callum B.

You are a correct. As a Limited Company in the UK they are a type of corporation. Ergo, DTG are a person.
    Q.E.D.

Cheers

30. Crosstie

Oh, my bad then. If DTG is a person, I'll start being much nicer to them/it/he/she.

(NOT!! :D )

• Like Like x 3
  31. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Perhaps someone could explain why TSW2 could not have been upgraded with the same result as TSW3 given you can play your old routes in TSW3, I understand only some are getting upgraded. And given it is the same engine.

The cynic in me says 'money grab'. Surely if the same old routes can be played in TSW3 the same old problems will exist as well no? DTG seem to be very proud of this new lighting and I hope it is brilliant so can we see a picture of a station around 1.oo AM?

• Like Like x 6
  32. ARuscoe

My take on this :
    the UI and core upgrades may have other consequences we don't know about, the largest of which would be the disassociation of the loco assets from the routes, which means the TSW3 DLC will likely be a different structure from the TSW2 ones (similar to how TSC ones are maybe) so there would possibly be all sorts of issues with having two versions of the DLC on the same game with different core structures.
    In other words it may well be structurally required to have a separate version of the program to address the differences in the DLC and in effect DTG have bundled this up with new DLC to "soften the blow" perhaps?

33. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect they have not been dissaciated from the routes, it's just that in future they'll all be associated with the Training Centre route which everyone has. If they were actually changing the file structure old loco DLCs probably wouldn't still require the corresponding route DLC in TSW3.

34. ARuscoe

Which is what they said would be true... I haven't seen any TSW3 versions of loco DLC to check if that's the case but that's what they said on the announcement stream

35. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I'm pretty certain DTG have said they won't be doing that at launch, they implied that it would be something they'd look at doing in the future though. Granted, this is DTG, so who knows what sort of time scale that's on, could be next week, could be never.

• Like Like x 2
  36. ARuscoe

[​IMG]
    There are some (ie lots of) gaps in this picture for everything outside of the TSW3 core routes

37. eldomtom2

So in other words, there is unlikely to have been a large change in file structure.

38. ARuscoe

From what I've seen and heard of the DLC structure. No idea on the remainder of the game
    But either way "where are my locos" is a fairly large change...
    Bit like trying to remember where in the car park your car is

39. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

What I wonder is: The class 66 there has a unique livery that seems to be only for Training Center? I wonder if the other trains will get the same treatment until release, similar to the Academy in TSC.

40. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

The pic contains both a grey and a standard EWS liveried 66. My guess is, every route needs at least 1 train for it function. The grey 66 was added as the Training Center "route"'s default train.

• Like Like x 2
  41. ARuscoe

I don't see why they need to really. Just makes more work for very very little output. Given all the liveries are licensed they can just use what they got

This would negate the reason to separate them in the first place

42. eldomtom2

No it isn't. It'll work like layers work. The route DLC will just point the game to the training centre route to find the trains.

43. ARuscoe

So how is that not a change programatically?
    I agree it's how layers work, but previously the layers had to load in the route and loco. Now they don't

44. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This change would be a lot more significant... if it helped eliminate duplicated rolling stock. The training center would have one Br 143 and would supply it to multiple routes it is domestic to. Similar with Dostos apart from the livery changes like the VVO version.

• Like Like x 1
  45. eldomtom2

They presumably still do that, it's just now the route they're "loading in" (I presume they're not loading in the full route even in TSW2) is the Training Centre.

• Like Like x 1
  46. ARuscoe

I presume (and very much hope) not too, but you never know... There was a whole heap of useless memory use on BML that DTG found out after they'd put the route out, so who knows any more

• Like Like x 1
  47. mrmaster#3790

mrmaster#3790 New Member

DTG is already giving us some hints about upcoming DLCs in part 2 of the roadmap...
    They placed it very clever between two screenshots of the Training center.
    Let the speculation begin! I see some New York content coming in the future

upload_2022-8-11_19-11-16.png

48. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

The rats mentioned are on the Harlem Line, the mastery for the train car sitting on one station. The Signal Box over Finnentrop is another Mastery, and the fireworks had been teased alongside other mastery rewards that still had been in the works. They might be for the LGV route, that features the french air show.

• Like Like x 2
  49. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

You find THAT interesting, when there's this?
    upload_2022-8-12_15-17-3.png

• Like Like x 1
  50. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I am hoping they will be chucking out a few steam locos and rolling stock DLCs to fill out SoS and give it the variety and traffic it deserves.

• Like Like x 4