Manx Electric Railway

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by NotAgain, Sep 30, 2018.

1. NotAgain

NotAgain Member

Anyone who has been to the Isle of Man will know this one, a beautiful historic railway, running from Douglas, at Derby Castle station, all the way to Ramsey via the Glen Roy Viaduct at Laxey, where it meets the Snaefell Mountain Railway, a distance of 17 miles.

[​IMG]

The MER is home to the oldest operational electric tramcars in the world, with two of the three that originally opened the 3" gauge line in 1893 still in operation, and it also boasts the Isle of Man's only dual-gauge staion at Laxey, which is also the lower terminus of the Snaefell Mountain Railway, a 3" 6' electric mountain railway that operates similarly old rolling stock in a very similar style.

I'll add more to this later, but my mind's gone blank for now.

• Like Like x 3
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

It may be ambitious but how about modelling all the Isle of Man railways in one route? The horse tramway might present problems but otherwise it would be well within the scope of TS.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Similar in scope to Isle of Wight???

• Like Like x 2
  4. JJTimothy

Indeed. I could imagine a free-roam scenario which would set you up to spend the day exploring the IoM by rail (though that might work better in TSW because you can just ride the trains or hop on and off as driver while they run to timetable can't you?)

5. ARuscoe

I was thinking similar to the scenarios where you run the steam line and then either continue onto the main line, or drive the old tube train then continue on to the Santa Special on the steam... A free roam over multiple gauges wouldn't work, but a multiscenario setup that incorporates the various trains would do.

6. JJTimothy

Would it not? I thought you'd just be able to click from one to another as you can with any Free Roam. But then I don't know much about setting up scenarios- I can pose things for the screen shot competitions but that's as far as it goes.

7. ARuscoe

I haven't looked at multi-gauge scenarios, but would imagine you can't route from one to the other. Certainly it would make for interesting interactions if you could route large trains down a narrow gauge

8. JJTimothy

Actually I think as long as there's track TS isn't fussy. It's like electric loco's- if you select one in quick drive you can't then choose a non-electrified route but the type of electrification isn't important so you can drive an EM2 under 25KV wires. I can't find it now but I'm sure I've seen a video of a 5MT or some such running on the Corris line.

That wasn't my point though- in Free Roam you can switch between different loco's as long as you can click on them so the wrong gauge thing, while it might be childish fun, wouldn't be a thing.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  9. ARuscoe

Maybe that's only in quick drive. Scenarios you certainly can't route like that, having spent half an hour trying to route an electric train onto Bedford platform 4 before realising that platform doesn't have overhead wires...

10. JJTimothy

But I suspect you could if there was a third rail. The EM2 is a 1,500V DC electric- IRL if you tried to run it under 25KV AC there would be fire and screaming and much tidying up required. Try it in TS and you're fine....

...Suddenly I want to see a GG1 on the Manx Electric.

11. ARuscoe

This was a thameslink train so either overhead or third rail would suffice. Bedford P4 has neither

12. cooltoyn

cooltoyn Member

13. cooltoyn

cooltoyn Member

i believe this would be a perfect route for train simulator 2020 i myself have been on this route myself its a great tram journey to do.

14. dwal1

dwal1 Member

Great idea :)

15. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Very interesting idea NotAgain, never been there but it somewhere I would love to go to, what era would you set the railway?

16. cooltoyn

cooltoyn Member

I still like the idea of the Manx electric railway for train simulator 2021 in fact you should do the other railways as well the isle of man steam railway and the Snaefell mountain railway and finally the Great Laxey Mine that is on the island after all the isle of wright has already been done and now its the isle of man's turn. and if it happens this big landmark should be there

Attached Files:

17. cooltoyn

cooltoyn Member

i really do like the idea of the Manx electric railway for train simulator 2022 the isle of man is full of railways that you can do.

18. jrpageuk

jrpageuk Member

Love the idea and the route despite it being short is super busy with the passing points between Port Erin ( and Loco Shed ) and Douglas (with Loco shed) on Steam Railway (narrow gauge) and Manx Electrics too Douglas to snaefell summit and douglas to ramsey

19. cooltoyn

cooltoyn Member

is there anymore news on this yet it feels like its be a while since we heard anything.