Cajon Pass: Prediction, Speculation, And Nit Picking Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Blacknred81, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

An entire subsystem to substitution dedicated to mixing U.S. rolling stock would be lovely. So many wagons from the Oakville sub are left hardly used, for example.

Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

This would be cool. A few months ago I saw a CN autorack train and I think it had cars from 6 different railroads.

I wonder if some of this could be related to the liscencing agreements for the game? Perhaps some of the railroads insist all the cars on "their" route have their markings?

DW

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Mind you, that's four pre-existing EMUs/locos, not a new build.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Mevans193

Mevans193 Well-Known Member

The official reasoning for not doing it is apparently car substitution causes all the cars in the train to become empty. It’s a shame they never fixed this as TSW2020 had car substitution on sand patch and oakville and it was much more realistic than TSW2’s all the same railroad trains.

5. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This is a problem for so long they could've done something about this by now...

• Like Like x 3
  6. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

Ah, I see. I had noticed all the substitution going on on Oakville Sub but yeah, your cars are almost always empty there. Too bad cause it does look more interesting.

DW

• Like Like x 1
  7. akstorlied#2840

akstorlied#2840 Member

There's UP services that are all AI, why can we not play them?

8. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

I do have to say the evening sky and scenery looked really good. And it looks like the headlights are a little brighter than before - though still not close to what it should be.

But...
    The audio is definitely terrible. Once again, we're getting a US freight loco that sounds like a vacuum. In all honesty, at times it sounds like the recordings have it, but once again was way over-mixed/processed and absolutely destroyed the quality. So much for the audio team putting effort into making the trains sound good and using youtube to try to match their recorded sounds to the real thing...

Draw distance is still terrible. In the pre-recorded clip of the train passing over the first train, the lower train I was watching cars pop in to the scene in the background. Honestly, might be worse than Sherman Hill.

Did anyone else notice the very pronounced horizontal line where the snow kickup texture cuts off? I'm glad they fixed the fade out but this isn't great either
    upload_2022-9-1_22-2-18.png

As I'm typing this, I just got the part in the stream where the horn seems to have the same bug from Sand patch where it gets stuck in one location.

My inner-meteorologist is cringing at how quickly the dynamic weather changes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

Yeah I saw that, quite a straight line. Hopefully they can tweak that a bit to break it up.

DW

10. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think there needs to be a heavier bias toward the weather staying the same at any given time. Two of two services both went from clear weather to rain in the span of 30 minutes? I know Matt and JD said summer tends to favor clear/partly cloudy, and autumn tends to prefer rain. But, at least where I live, most of the autumn is pretty dry. (And I live in Pennsylvania. It’s not exactly the desert here.)

I can see the “dynamic” weather getting boring or downright annoying if it’s pretty much guaranteed to go from clear to raining during every run of any meaningful length.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So to not repeat stuff said above, watched the Cajon part of the stream and here are my thoughts and general stuff.....

I'm glad that Train Symbols have finally returned, though some of these don't make any sense, especially the ones going to San Diego. San Diego doesn't take grain or has an intermodal facility.....
    [​IMG]

The 1st Street Bridge looks correct.
    [​IMG]

So, looks like at least the Stations are mostly modeled to a decent extent.

Barstow
    [​IMG]
    Victorville
    [​IMG]

San Bernardino
    [​IMG]

However at Barstow, none of the equipment owned by the Western America Railroad Museum is next to Barstow, a bit of a let down especially with what SHG's did with the Railroaders Memorial Museum in Altoona for HSC.
    [​IMG]

Frost looks decent, but a bit annoyed about the UP autoracks. There are plenty of different types of BNSF autoracks, some very similar to the ones already in game. A BNSF one could of probably been easily done....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't get a good look. but I assume the Santa Fe Smokestack is NOT modeled in San Bernardino. It should of been somewhere in the red circle, so that's 1 landmark not confirmed in game.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since UP traffic is AI only on the Palmdale Cutoff, is it still possible for the player to use scenario planner to utilize the crossover at Silverwood to simulate a UP train move onto/off of the BNSF Cajon Sub? Would be a waste for that to be modeled and not used at all.....
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Callum B.

Curiously I can not seem to find any Amtrak branding at San Bernardino. I wonder if the other stations are embroidered?

Cheers

13. Blacknred81

From my understanding, every Amtrak sign is unbranded.

14. Callum B.

That's not a good sign for those of us hoping for a Southwest Chief layer in the future.

Cheers

15. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

If this is a licensing issue, it makes absolutely no sense, unless it's the two railroads not wanting their logos side by side, in which case it makes even less sense.

16. Blacknred81

It seems a reoccurring issue for most routes if Amtrak isn't included with the route, and is seen on both TSC and TSW.

A good example is Mileposts routes.

For example, Raton Pass came with Amtrak trains, the Amtrak Logo is featured on the stations..
    ss_3bf50791e0fdbbdcfadf655064f1649de0daa042.1920x1080.jpg

However, for Mount Shasta, the logo is missing from the Amtrak depots, as no Amtrak trains came with the route by default.
    3f18bf814587cd718ea1eb99c1a6fe93_1920_KR.jpg

Sand Patch Grade, Horseshoe Curve, and now Cajon Pass all have this unbranded Amtrak stuff on the TSW side of things.

17. Anna_AWVR

Anna_AWVR Active Member

I've tried working on that system myself but it's been an absolute nightmare. The loads not working with substitution thing has got me at every turn.

I recently attempted a workaround for specific car type tags. Which means semi-fixed consists where certain cars can sub in a variant in that slot. For example the 34th car will always be a 3-bay but any 3-bay could sub in there and stay loaded.

Sadly this didn't work. So I'm out of options outside of working to make fixed consists look better.

18. Callum B.

Found this cheerful bloke peddling hot dogs and pretzels in the rain. He must have had some friends in the Winnebago cooking something up. I wonder what they're doing out here in the desert with a Winnebago anyway?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  19. 5cip

5cip Active Member

This route looks amazing currently im drivin it and i must say this desert setting looks awesome :D

20. atledreier

atledreier Member

The fan in the ES44 keeps stopping. The cab is hot and stuffy, and I keep needing to restart the dang overhead fan.....

• Like Like x 1
  21. Callum B.

To go in the nitpick pile, some of these traffic patterns make no sense. Macroscopically this isn't such a huge deal and I wouldn't have ever noticed it if not for the fact I could see vehicles spawning on the overpass from my train...

[​IMG]

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  22. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

The ES44C4 minimum reduction airbrake reduced the ER by 8 psi to 82 psi, i believe in real life the correct amount of reduction in mimimum application is 6 psi, and dropped the ER from 90 psi to 84 psi. Not sure about the SD40-2 since I'm not try it yet.

23. Callum B.

I look forward to when the preserved collection is released for TSW3 so I can run some vintage ATSF equipment up and down the line. :love:

Cheers

24. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

F7s!

25. Crosstie

Am I the only one who cares about the anemic headlights on both locos?
    How much longer do we have to put up with this issue on North American locos? DTG has said that they are using the correct lumens count. Any US or Canadian player can tell you that this is clearly not the case.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  26. Callum B.

The lumens may be correct but there's more to headlights than just lumens. the geometry of the light cone being cast needs to be adjusted as well (take the DB BR 146.2 on DRA, for example).

Cheers

27. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

If it's a single value, can someone try to mod it to see what it does?

28. Crosstie

I've never used any mods ( I'm just a scaredy- cat ), but the headlight issue is so exasperating, I'd probably go for it if anyone can make a hack.

29. Whitsim

Whitsim Member

Minimum reduction for locos is 6-8psi. Anywhere within that range is considered normal.

30. Loco Dave

Loco Dave Member

The intro scenario states "Hold R2 to run"(PS5), thankfully a thing of the past.
    Strange how a new route scenario has been created with the old system in mind, begging the assumption that the old intros will still recommend old(incorrect?) controls on the new system.

31. Callum B.

Technically, the option to switch between walking and running by default has always been there. It's not actually new.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  32. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Mixing meth as per Breaking Bad?!

• Like Like x 1