How Save Game Will Look Like

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by gallifillo, Sep 4, 2022.

1. gallifillo

gallifillo Member

Hi guys,
    I'm posting this to let you have a look at how the Save Game "card" will look like once it is implemented.
    You can see that it is in the top left corner of the screen and has the image of a HST on the Great Western Express.
    I'm sorry if it is in Italian but it basically says: "Resume Last Game Session".
    upload_2022-9-4_18-6-11.png
    If you're wondering how I did this, I used Universal Unreal Unlocker to enable the in-game console and then I used this console command (ts2.ui.SaveGame) to save the game session. You can then use the command ts2.ui.LoadSaveGame to load the last save or you can use the prompt shown in the image above.
    You can also use ts2.ui.DeleteSaveGame to delete the save and, by doing so, the prompt will also disappear.

I hope this was interesting!

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Looking forward to DTG implementing Save Game. I haven’t the time to play for an hour or so and prefer to play for half an hour to forty minutes at a time, so a save game function is important to me.

• Like Like x 3
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I assume you have to inject the dll every time you start the game for this to work?

4. gallifillo

gallifillo Member

Yes, you have to do that. I don't know if Unreal Unlocker has also a feature that auto-injects the DLL, but I do it manually every time.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. 5cip

5cip Active Member

gallifillo so you can save and load the game now ?

6. gallifillo

gallifillo Member

Yes, if you use Unreal Unlocker to enable the in-game console, you can use the commands I wrote in the first post to save and load the game as normal.
    I tried and it works fine, just like in TSW2.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. 5cip

5cip Active Member

gallifillo u are a hero thanks a lot it works :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. gallifillo

gallifillo Member

No problem. I'm glad I could help you :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Hey, what's UUU version do you use? I tried it on latest version, but i couldn't activate the console even though i have injected the dll into the TSW3 service.

10. gallifillo

gallifillo Member

Hey, I use the 3.0.21 version. To correctly inject the DLL you have to open UUU, start your game and go to the main menu. When you're there you have to inject the DLL and, after you do that, you can start your service and use the console to save the game.
    Sometimes the console doesn't unlock and when that happens I simply restart the game or my PC and after that it usually works.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OldVern

I intend to give this a try later on.

However it is at best a stopgap and no substitute for DTG restoring our built in save game facility.

12. Suryaaji#2369

Aaaa, i never tried it after uninstalling my PC. Okay, i'll try it later. Thanks.
    So, to clear things up, do i open the TSW3 first or the UUU first?

13. OldVern

I read it as start UUU first.

14. gallifillo

gallifillo Member

These are the correct steps:
    1. Start UUU;
    2. Start TSW3 and go to the main menu;
    3. Inject the DLL into the game;
    4. Wait for the console to unlock (if it doesn't unlock, reboot the game or your PC);
    5. Start your service or scenario or tutorial;
    6. Use the console to save and load the game whenever you want.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. gallifillo

gallifillo Member

I know. Furthermore, it's a bit frustating always having to use the console to save the game. I hope they'll put back the save function as quickly as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Suryaaji#2369

Appreciate it man, thanks a lot

• Like Like x 1
  17. gallifillo

gallifillo Member

No problem!

18. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

This is amazing, anyway someone can implement this as a mod? Would be huge.

19. OldVern

I don’t know that it could be created as a permanent mod, looks like we will just have to persevere with the dll injection and console commands each time for now.

However I think this should send a clear message to DTG that demand for a save game is high, if so many users are prepared to use this solution to get a working save. For god’s sake put the old system back while you work on its replacement.

• Like Like x 7
  20. 5cip

5cip Active Member

even the save tool is working to have more than 1 save slot avaible :D

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Thought it would've been a little tricky hence my suggestion for a mod, but turns out it's very simple yet so, so effective. Thank you again for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  22. royswap

royswap New Member

Thank you to the OP for this great find. I have a small query. On the Kassel-Wurzburg route after reloading a saved session using this method, the LZB and PZB systems no longer restart normally and I cannot find a method of getting them to work again. If anyone has a method to get them to work again please do share.
    Thanks again

23. gallifillo

gallifillo Member

I don't know if you've tried to turn them off and on again. If that doesn't work, then it's a problem related to the save function and that's exactly what DTG should fix.

24. royswap

royswap New Member

Yes I did turn them off and back on but no luck in getting them back. Probably one of the things DTG still haven't successfully solved relating to the save game function.

• Like Like x 1
  25. gallifillo

gallifillo Member

I will try that myself and see if there's anything I can do to get them back on again. Did you run a service or a scenario? And what was its name?

26. royswap

royswap New Member

It was a service. Freight BR 185 to Kassel starting around 22:30. Sorry don't have my PC at hand right now so can't give the exact service number. Thanks again

• Like Like x 1
  27. OldVern

Just tested on Cajon and it works - great!

One quick question, when I come to restart the game later, can I launch the console from the menu screen and load the game or do I need to start a run (any run) in the sim first?

• Like Like x 1
  28. gallifillo

gallifillo Member

No, when you restart your game, simply follow the steps I wrote earlier again. Start UUU first, then start the game and go to the main menu, then inject the DLL and then start whatever mode you want.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. Suryaaji#2369

Yes you can launch the console on menu screen. It works for me, the game automatically load the last saved session if you choose ts2.ui.LoadSaveGame command

• Like Like x 1
  30. 5cip

5cip Active Member

it should also work now with the god mode mod which has a console integrated

31. OldVern

I do have to report a failure on Cajon yesterday evening. Reloaded a saved run from SB to Victorville but after about two miles came up on a red signal that couldn’t be passed and no other trains about. That’s not a problem and comes under my ongoing plea for DTG to reinstate the save under caveat emptor anyway.

What it does make me ponder is - if the save game issues are primarily linked to the route, then why wasn’t Cajon (as a new DLC) built to avoid these? It seems strange too as Cajon is not a particularly busy route like BML or Dresden to Riesa, so I’m wondering if the beta testers were finding more instances of the save game failure in TSW3 which led to the decision. Either way does not fill me with absolute confidence that we will get the refreshed system any time soon.

• Like Like x 3
  32. gallifillo

gallifillo Member

I know, the problem of red signals also happened to me on TSW2. I suppose since the saving system is the same (but it's just disabled) these problem continue to exist even on TSW3 and it's kinda bad they still haven't fixed them even if this is what they should have done since the beginning of their work on the saving system.

33. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

We don't know if this instance of the red light bug on Cajon was caused by a core problem. Matt did say at least some, if not all, issues with save lie in the core, and indeed he mentioned they have now fixed one related issue in the core in their private builds.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. Alex656

Alex656 Member

Grazie Gallifillo per l'ottima soluzione, funziona perfettamente; mi permetto di scrivere in italiano perchè forse sei un connazionale :love:

• Like Like x 1
  35. gallifillo

gallifillo Member

Nessun problema, figurati! Sono sempre felice di incontrare almeno qualche italiano ogni tanto :)

36. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The issue is the console command invokes the old TSW2 save routine, which is just as iffy as it always was. The problem has never been "route specific," simply that there are situations the creaky save routine can handle, and others it can't.

• Like Like x 1
  37. OldVern

That's why I said, it's not a problem and I'm quite comfortable to work with the limitations and retain the view DTG should restore it until something better can be devised.

38. dr1980

dr1980 Member

Personally I never encountered an issue loading games in TSW2 (must just be lucky). However I would vastly prefer having the TSW2 save system in TSW3 than none at all. Let us roll the dice. Many of the timetable runs on Cajon are just too long for me to do in one sitting.

• Like Like x 1
  39. March Hare

I decided to continue my Minehead Shunter Part 2 journey in TSW3 tonight. It apparently carried over the red signal bug from my last save game, because in the same place, after 1 hour I shouldn't have spent playing this damn game, I got to the point where you connect the main loco up to the carriages you've just spent an age connecting together, and the signals are supposed to automatically switch. No. I got red lights in front of the carriages, so the signals didn't switch. And the one time it actually worked in TSW2, the moment I finally got to reverse and connect to those carriages, Unreal Engine decided to crash. So I'm just screwed on every attempt of this journey mode scenario, and my last fuse is about blown.

40. March Hare

Also, I'm past the point of no return in hours spent playing for a Steam refund. So whether or not I have wasted money on both TSW2 and 3 and the add-ons I enthusiastically bought in a sale before I realised the extent of the game's issues is entirely in DTG's hands.

I've got to say this is absolutely the most unstable piece of software I've ever used. Ever. And it's a crying shame because it's potentially so good.

So, DTG, when you finally fix every red signal bug and related save game issue, have a working save game in place, and have made it generally more stable, just let me know. Because I can't trust it enough right now to waste another minute.

This is not, currently, entertainment.

• Like Like x 2
  41. 5cip

5cip Active Member

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  42. March Hare

But I wouldn't be able to cross the red signals anyway, because when the signals are on danger the switches don't automatically change for me to access that section of track.

43. OldVern

This is the problem. Fine if the route ahead is set but there is no way for the player to take over from the AI signaller and set up the route themselves.

If it’s any consolation, I had a stuck train ahead of me on HRR last night and that’s without using the save game, really far too buggy and DTG don’t seem to care.

I must admit after diving back into Run 8 yesterday evening while TSW3 was completing its download, finishing my drive over Donner then putting my Yardmaster hat on to start sorting out the traffic in the yard at Sparks, I was actually quite reluctant to go back over to TSW3!

44. March Hare

I think, on reflection, the issue last night had nothing to do with continuing my journey from my TSW2 profile and it's just a random signalling bug that crops up in this scenario. I know it's nothing I'm doing wrong, because last time I played it the signals changed, the switches switched, but then I had an Unreal Engine crash as soon as I coupled up. It just seems there's always something getting in the way.

However, clearly others have far more success. It would be nice to think my luck will change. But there's the major issue: it isn't supposed to be about luck.

I'm playing a more traditional game with boss fights. Currently stuck on one. I turn it on, play for a few minutes, I'm defeated a few times, save, turn it off. Repeat the next evening: 10 minutes of getting slaughtered, save, turn off. Maybe I'll go back to it tonight for another few minutes. Am I frustrated that I have failed two play sessions so far? No, because it's all on me. And in failing, I'm finding new strategies. Although I haven't progressed in the obvious way – I haven't defeated the boss to progress with the story – I don't feel like I've wasted my time.

But TSW... What's it going to be today? I resume a save and get a red signal (TSW2 obviously)? I don't save but I still get a red signal? I do everything well, I see the last station stop approaching, and Unreal Engine crashes?

45. OldVern

As we said previously, WSR is particularly twitchy when it comes to signalling anyway.

46. March Hare

It's time for them to look into that, me thinks, if it's a well-known problem with that route.

To be fair, I'll give it a few days of doing better things with my evenings (like sleeping), then I'll come back to it and find shorter scenarios on other routes. I might just have to ditch that route for some time, or at least ditch the idea of progressing in journey mode and just approach the game/this route differently.

47. OldVern

Anyone found the UUU command no longer working?

Tried it a couple of times now each time starting the PC afresh and despite following the procedure I cannot get the console line to appear.

Please don't tell me DTG have nerfed our one hope of saving the game with a silent update.

48. 5cip

5cip Active Member

its still working and i dont believe that DTG would do something against it ...why they should ? i think even its also good to see that saving is still possible

49. March Hare

After my Unreal Engine crash the other day, I decided to use it for the first time today. So it's definitely working.

I began the first journey mode scenario this morning, during breakfast, and saved at the first station stop. So, only a few minutes while the family were still sleeping. And I did it after starting to load passengers and stepping off onto the platform.

Tonight, when family went to bed, I resumed my save game. I'd almost reached the next station stop when, guess what? I came across a red signal. I waited 10+ minutes for it to change. I tried contacting the controller. Denied. I checked the map. Not many trains on the route. A couple in sidings. One on the opposite tracks stopped behind a red signal at a station quite a distance ahead. A string of red lights ahead of my train. And even further ahead than the stopped train was one heading away from me on my line, way, way ahead of me, moving but merrily running through red signals on its way.

So, yeah, first time using UUU in case the game decides to crash again and I would safely say I've encountered the red signal save game bug.

Right now, I'm giving the big middle finger to this abysmal attempt at coding, and hoping we get that functioning save game much sooner than later.

I mean, forget whether wiper state restores, etc., the only game-breaking issue with save that I know of is the red signal bug. So when they fix that, they should reinstate it.

But right now? Spending any time with this is wasted time for me, because no matter what I do I seem to encounter a crash or a signal bug.

Oh, apart from a 4- and 8-minute timetable run that I did in between time, just so I could feel like I'd completed something successfully, but whoopee-bloomin'-do...

50. OldVern

I will try it again later, maybe I was a bit premature to condemn DTG.

But yes with the bugs and save issue it requires careful planning to pick a run at the moment. Which means doing something on the little Hornby Dublo oval aka Test Centre.

I quickly found myself back in Run 8 where all the cars I’d been switching off the industry sidings at Sparks were exactly where I had left them. Got to work forming them up, drag back to the yard and start forming into east and westbound manifests. Then I have all the inbound traffic that needs sorting and dropping off at the various spurs. Rinse and repeat for the other main locations along the route!