Colour Of The Yes/no Boxes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dave from Cornwall, Sep 3, 2022.

1. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

Is it me, or trying to work out if you are agreeing with or rejecting option with the grey option is rather confusing?

The light grey option is the selection?
    Dark grey is unselected?

I am pretty sure I am guessing!

D

• Like Like x 16
  2. Driver8666

Driver8666 Active Member

No you're not guessing. They should change that to white for yes and grey or black for no.

• Like Like x 6
  3. richard cooper

richard cooper Active Member

I agree. Should have more obvious colour difference. For more elderly users like myself ,whose eyesight might not be the best anymore, it is confusing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dejin

Dejin New Member

I completely agree with all of you. It was super confusing. I had to move the d-stick back and forth a couple of times watching the colors change to be sure I understood what I was doing.

They should change the color to something other than white and gray or use the effect they use when choosing Trains vs. Routes where the selected “Square” expands in size and adds a bit of shading giving it the illusion of popping slightly out of the screen.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes, selected things beed to be highlighted. Something like a yellow border around the selection to make it obvious. I know the modern way is to go all understated, simple and subtle but it needs to be obvious which is selected. There should be no room for ambiguity. At all.

• Like Like x 12
  6. StokesJH

StokesJH Active Member

While the new UI is a major improvement with respect to the TSW2 UI, I agree with you that the colours are confusing. I already selected several times the wrong tile, it is absolutely not intuitive.

• Like Like x 5
  7. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

Agreed, with all the right steps they've made with improving the UI over previous iterations, how they were then able to mess up something as simple, and essential, as knowing what you're actually highlighting, is quite simply, astounding.

But at the same time, this being DTG, nothing should really surprise me any more...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

If it's white it's unselected, if it's greyed out it's selected is absolute bizarro world logic.

• Like Like x 5
  9. dave from Cornwall

Glad I am not the only one confused!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

That’s the worst part of the new UI, it’s definitely not obvious what you are selecting, which is a shame as the new UI is a massive improvement over the old system.

• Like Like x 2
  11. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I’m baffled by how they always manage to mess up the UI. But I’m glad it still seems to be an overall improvement.
    They are clearly talented developers but the simplest things seem to be an issue. I can’t wait to upgrade as the TSW2 Ui is probably the worst I’ve experienced. It was better in TSW1.

12. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

They really don't learn. How it's even possible they can mess up the UI like this. My first impression of TSW3 is already starting negative. Been playing for 20 minutes and I already had to head to the forum to complain about the color mess up with the UI and look up how to recover an ICE train from an emergency stop. Starting to look like the same mess like before.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I agree the grey is confusing, best just to highlight round the box with a blue outline in my opinion

• Like Like x 1
  14. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

This shows the UI was designed by mouse users who didn't take into account that you have no visual reference with a controller, no pointer to see where you are.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Ensor42

Ensor42 Well-Known Member

Whilst on the subject of the UI, I'd just like to add that from a visually impaired perspective, the dark text on white backgrounds is far more difficult to read than the reverse as seen in the earlier games. Would be nice to have a contrast / dark mode option.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Loco Dave

Loco Dave Member

TSW2 is a nice orange on selection. Much better.

• Like Like x 2
  17. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

I preferred the earlier blue UI to be honest, and the diorama train selection screen was so much better than the run down station where you could barely see the side of the engines.

• Like Like x 2
  18. tuxcatazuma

tuxcatazuma Active Member

I was stuck on the import profile screen for a while, not realising I was cancelling the import. My mind was assuming the button in white was the one selected.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Larvi

Larvi New Member

Glad it's not just me, been playing for a few hours and still can't get used to to this. I've been using computers for over 40 years now and can't remember another UI where the greyed out box is the active one. Need an option to switch this around or some change to make it easier to identify the active selection.

• Like Like x 3
  20. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

I'll chase this for you as it was brought up during development (the plan was to have a yellow highlight on the currently selected item, as well as having the button change colour).

• Like Like x 13
  21. mandonov

mandonov Active Member

This is also obvious in the pause menu.

We went from pre-Rush Hour being able to quickly get to the main menu, the settings, or to restart the game with one button click after pausing the game. 1 step.
    Rush Hour now hid these options in a sub menu by holding LB then making your selection. 2 steps.
    TSW3 now puts you 3 tabs away from this sub menu before you can select one. 4 steps.

No one needs to see the HUD or Controller Guides every time they want to change a setting, restart a service, or return to the home page.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  22. antwerpcentral

Please add this because what we have now is not working and this is not a case of users needing to adjust. My brain shuts down when I need to click a button. I don't choose something I just click and hope I get what I wanted. The UI is perfect for consoles but the color of the buttons make the UI harder to understand

23. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

From what everyone's saying, it sounds like the UI testing has been done with somebody on a PC literally moving their mouse cursor over the boxes and clicking, with far less need for highlight feedback. If they've even done any UI work on consoles, it will have been by the devs who were already so familiar with using it on the PC that they didn't think about how much sense it would make to a console user where that highlight (be it colour change, border, box enlarging – which should be consistently implemented) is the only method of identifying a selection.

TSW has always felt like a poor PC port and that's largely down to the UI interaction with a controller. That menu should be easy to follow and as stujoy said above, there should be no ambiguity, even to a first time user, about what's selected and what's going to happen when you select it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  24. dave from Cornwall

Thanks for acknowledging the thread and that it is a problem!
    Lets hope it gets fixed before TSW4 :)

• Like Like x 1
  25. antwerpcentral

Been playing around with TSW3 yesterday and found out I had been pushing the wrong buttons the day before so I did not get what I wanted to play. The game only works if you think "this is not what I want so I have to click it to get what I want". Very confusing.

26. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

While you are on the case can you ask that the controller shortcut to get to the search function in the timetable lists is reinstated please. It was Triangle on PS and now it’s gone.

27. Princess Entrapta

Yellow's a solid choice. Blue can sometimes be too bright.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Princess Entrapta

This, everything about this, so much this. Cannot be stated enough.

29. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

I had wondered how this got through accessibility as I recently had the exact same issue at work and was told we had to highlight with a definite contrast and not by shading

• Like Like x 1