Tsw2 Routes Have A Worse Frame Rate (fps) On Tsw3 Than Their Native Game.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Xaineth, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Xaineth

Xaineth New Member

Hi all :),

Is anyone experiencing worse frame rates on TSW2 routes within TSW3? It's really making certain routes not enjoyable. As per example, I used to get around 30 - 40 frames around Dresden Nuestadt and Dresden Hbf on DRA. Now I go as low as 23 frames in TSW3. London Victoria as well is getting smashed. From around 32 frames in TSW2, it goes all the way down to 14 in TSW3.

I've tried running with both DX11 (which is worse) and DX12 launch options on Steam and the build number is 63.

My PC specs are:

RAM: 24GB DDR4 RAM,
    Space: 1TB NVMe SSD,
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS,
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Max-Q

There is no way Dynamic weather is able to tank a route by about 20 frames, legacy routes even! I hope I'm not the only one experiencing this and DTG decided to optimize the old routes for TSW3 because even KWG performs better than this and this just discourages me from playing older routes.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Yeah the games still needs further optimization

• Like Like x 1
  3. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

So even worse performance then already in TSW2? That could end up ruining many older routes

• Like Like x 2
  4. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I doubt it's the weather. More likely the lighting causing it
    I didn't try Victoria yesterday on TSW3 but will do tonight and have a look

6. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

It could be the new volumetric skies/clouds, a pretty strong performance hit that one

7. Xaineth

Xaineth New Member

Train sim world 2 routes do not get the new lighting nor volumetric skies so they cannot be the reason for the performance loss.

The only thing tsw2 routes get are dynamic weather.

8. Peter Smith

Peter Smith Member

I have noticed no change when using TSW2 DLC in TSW3 other than the new dynamic weather (although the quality varies quite noticeably between different TSW2 DLCs). Dynamic weather in TSW2 DLC varies, dependant on the time of year, but is quite impressive in some scenarios. (Some pretty impressive lightning, thunder claps and even howling of the wind). I am able to get a steady 60-80 fps with no stuttering with both TSW2 and TSW3 content (I have pegged fps at 80 to avoid occasional stuttering). My Engin.ini settings from TSW2 work just fine in TSW3. Sound is still an issue with much of the DLC (especially that of TSW2). Although mentioned in other parts of this forum, I note in particular, that clicking of wheels as they cross track joints and switches is generally very soft or non-existent. (I am still using DX12 in TSW3).

I am not too fussed by some of the quality criticism (I don't mind too many female passengers wearing baseball caps!) , but I do expect a simulation game such as this to get maximum attention from developers to ensure the following at the very least:

a. No bugs on release.
    b. Best possible "smooth" graphics.
    c. Best realistic audio.
    d. Realistic, accurate physics.
    e. Challenging scenarios.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core CPU; ASUS Cross Hair VIII Formula Mobo; Win 11 Pro (64 bit); 32GB RAM; 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. 1TB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; MSI GeForce RTX 3090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC; Dell G-Sync 144Hz Monitor.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  9. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

I have noticed more stuttering on TSW2 routes than TSW3 routes also.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Uff, that does not sound good.
    Are you guys playing in DX12?

11. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

All the pre-TSW3 routes seem to be way more stuttery in TSW3, in my experience. Its most notable with sounds, like a DJ skipping a record. WEeeOOOoo Weoooooo Weeurrrpp WEEoooo (and so forth)

• Like Like x 1
  12. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

About to give one a quick try. Then it might be back to Sparks Yard in Run 8!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Xaineth

Xaineth New Member

Yup, always have been.

14. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Hard to say from the little bit of driving I did last night. HRR seemed more jerky though I only got about 8km before having to quit due to a stuck train ahead. TVL seemed okay but then I was only going at a maximum of 45 to 50 MPH in the old DMU anyway.

There must have been some changes to how legacy routes are handled in the game core as they do look better and more vibrant, so maybe this has led to a performance hit?

15. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

There should not be a performance hit and if there is its another issue that needs fixing

• Like Like x 4
  16. Peter Smith

Peter Smith Member

tsw2: I concur.

• Like Like x 1
  17. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

So TSW2 route performance is even worse in TSW3 ? :(
    Has DTG said something about that?

18. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Are there Dostos nearby on German routes when you’re having FPS issues?

Dostos on TSW2 seem to have an issue where they cause massive FPS drop if their interior coach/passenger cabin lights are turned on. I mentioned it in a few other threads and reported it to DTG. But I’m wondering if the same issue is appearing on German routes in TSW3.

• Like Like x 3
  19. robert_LH

robert_LH Member

Can confirm the same for Hamburg-Lübeck.

20. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Im not seeing this in DX11 quite frankly, the likes of Dresden Riesa is still maddening around Dresden itself (as always) but even that seems marginally better. Have to agree DX12 is horrible, it always has been on my laptop but I am sure its actually worst now.

Ive actually been able to up my screen percentage from 130 to 150% as well.

Have to agree with Old Vern, despite what DTG stated that the older routes havent received any visual updates they definately look better and lighter then in TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

I have very little problems with stutter, but sometimes a small freeze/jump of a sound effect that gets loaded, maybe it's a buffering issue..

22. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

I find if anything my TSW2 routes are running better on 3… but I’m not sure if it’s the game itself or just thanks to the fact that because of Sony I only have a fraction of my DLC installed. Adding DLC seems to be detrimental to performance on 2.

I get stutters that are annoying, often when sounds play (like thunder or a wiper noise) but I had similar in TSW2 often enough (not the thunder part but in general).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  23. Xaineth

Xaineth New Member

"TSW3 will run similarly to TSW2"

Not even DCZ Dresden Hbf runs this bad under rain. They need to optimize this game, it's really becoming a nuisance and there's no way I'm getting better hardware for the next 2 years.

upload_2022-9-10_13-33-0.png

• Like Like x 2
  24. Veryfatbloke

Veryfatbloke Member

Ok, so before I begin I must say that I don't run any of the German routes as they don't interest me so I can't comment on their performance.

I thought that I'd try and compare 2 TSW 2 routes, in TSW 2 and TSW 3, and see what results I got. The first route, and scenario I tried was IoW 2022, service 2D29, in December in rain storm conditions. In TSW 3 I used snow storm. As it happens my TSW 2 weather became a snow storm due to the temperature. I noted down the frame rates as I was going along at various points in the scenario, and the results showed that the route ran much better in TSW 3, between 5 and 10 FPS difference. For example, in the tunnel before Ryde St John station TSW 2 was 48 FPS and TSW 3 60 FPS, Smallbrook station, 45 TSW 2 and 60 TSW 3, between Sandown and Lake 39 to 51 in TSW 2 and 59 to 60 in TSW 3.

Maybe, IoW 2022 isn't too resource hungry so I then decided to try a service on London Commuter. I selected 1D36 Victoria to Gatwick Airport, light rain was the weather choice available in both. Results as follows: -
    In Victoria, 24 - 30 TSW 2 and 36 - 38 in TSW 3, Clapham Junction 45 TSW 2 and 52 in TSW 3, East Croydon 35 in TSW 2 and 42 in TSW 3, between Purley and Horley there were regular quick stutters dropping as low as 28 in TSW 2 but dropping to 32 in TSW 3. Max FPS in this section was 45 in TSW 2 and 60 in TSW 3. At Gatwick Airport, TSW 2 was 40 and TSW 3 was 51.

My system specs are Ryzen 5 3600 6 core, 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 3060, 1 TB SSD.

My TSW settings are full screen 1920*1080, main setting ultra, foliage ultra, shadow and effects high, sky, post process, view distance and texture quality ultra. FPS limited to 62. AA - TSA, VSync on and screen % 200.

I appreciate that this is not a very scientific review, as it only covers 2 services, but it at least shows that performance for me is better for TSW2 routes running in TSW 3.

(Edited for spelling)

• Like Like x 1
  25. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

I'm like a broken record on this, sorry! DX12 moves more of the processing to the GPU, so if you're CPU-bound under DX11, it should be an improvement. But if you're GPU-bound on DX11, it will probably make things worse. And laptops typically don't have great GPUs.

• Like Like x 2
  26. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

But it was worst for me on my desktop before I switched over and on that the CPU was definately the weakest link

27. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

The performance across all systems needs looking at. Pc xbox series x playstation 5 xbox and ps4. Beta released to the general public that's how train sim world 3 feels.

28. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

i made a thread talking about the same issue
    some routes From TSW2 runs pretty bad in TSW3

here the link to the thread if anyone wanna check and leave feedback

29. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I haven't really noticed but tbh i've been playing the TSW3 stuff 95% of the time.

Somewhat OT, but how do you know if the game is launching in dx11 or dx12? Steam doesn't give me an option when launching like some other games do.

30. bsmm

bsmm New Member

I would agree on this for the LGV Med route, which ran way better (fps wise) in TSW2. Running the LGV Med in TSW3 is just a "stutter-fest" which highly breaks the immersion. Looks like it is due to the procedural generation of incoming route scenery.

31. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I haven't done any precise research on this, but to me it generally seems the routes are running better in TSW3. Stutters are definitely sometimes very apparent, but overall the FPS got a noticeable bump up, sometimes even capping the monitor framerate, which it didn't even get close to in TSW2.

32. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

The game only officially supports DX11. To launch it in DX12 via Steam you need to right click on the game in your library then ‘properties’ and in launch parameters type ‘-DX12’. That should launch the game under that api.

• Like Like x 1