Tsw 3 Ps4 Pro Performance

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by darylb88, Sep 4, 2022.

1. darylb88

darylb88 Member

Has anyone played on the PS4 Pro? If so how is the performance overall compared to TSW 2?

• Like Like x 1
  2. RealKenny_D

RealKenny_D Member

I'm sticking with TSW 2 on PS4 Pro after I gambled my money on TSW 3 being a step forward. TSW 3 actually looks like it has taken several steps backwards. It looks like someone's first attempts at simulation. And for me, if it doesn't look good, it's a fail.

When I first loaded the extended SEHS, I couldn't believe my eyes. Everything looked fake. Landscape colours are desaturated, signals have become less noticeable in daylight, while infrastructure colours are saturated. It just looks very odd and much less authentic than most of my TSW 2 content.

Then I started driving and my heart sunk deeper. Short drawing distances, pop-ups and stutters added to my disappointment.

I wasn't to know how good or how bad TSW 3 was, until I could see it for myself.
    It shouldn't feel like I'm gambling on buying a title like this.

I can buy other titles like FIFA and Gran Turismo and feel very confident that I am getting something which looks amazing right from the moment I unwrap it.

I won't get my money back, it's been an expensive mistake.

• Like Like x 2
  3. KatiaBLR

KatiaBLR Well-Known Member

sadly i have to agree with everything you've said.

i was really hopeful ahead of the release of tsw3, especially for the extended sehs route.

i decided to do my first run on tsw3 from gravesend to dartford, and as soon as it loaded i was struck with how poor the visual quality was, certain colours stand out way too much yet signals are barely visible.

i tried adjusting the settings on my tv screen but it made very little difference.

also there are much more noticeable drops in fps than before, the game really does stutter right now

also i ran a service from ashford to london and the external camera jumped uncontrollably back into the cab in several tunnels between ashford and ebbsfleet, which is a huge immersion breaker for me.

i'm gonna try the extended sehs route on tsw2 later, and if the visuals are better there i'm going back to tsw2, which is a shame as i've wasted £29.99 on a game that is significantly worse than the previous installment.

i hate to be negative i really do, but i am dissapointed so far in tsw3 compared to tsw2, don't expect any money back or anything but tsw2 currently runs much better than tsw3, which is a real shame

• Like Like x 1
  4. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Sadly I also have to agree with what’s been said here in this thread. I had a massive rant about TSW3 in the TSW3 feedback section of the forum and pretty much got shot down for it. However I’ve tried again today and on my standard PS4 TSW3 is awful not to mention not having any kind of save function so a MASSIVE disadvantage compared to TSW2. I mean who has the time to regularly play a very long route right the way through? Not me.

I’m lucky I’ve technically wasted a fiver because I never had SOS on TSW2 and have now got it for free via the TSW3 / SOS starter pack bundle but yep it’s on all probability I’m just gonna continue playing TSW2 and TSW3 will just sit on my hard drive taking up space until they improve it or one day I can transfer it onto a PS5.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

I understand the frustration because I feel it too. Usually I'm all for calling out DTG for their poor choices or "Quick buck mentality" that's so blatant it's pretty much outwardly disrespectful to their customers at this point BUT to play devil's advocate here...

I think it's important to remember that the base hardware even in the systems like the Pro such as the CPU is almost 14 years old at this point and was sadly pretty close to being outdated even when the base PS4 and Xbox consoles were released 9 years ago.

It's not a fair comparison for FIFA and especially Gran Turismo. FIFA is a lot smaller scope made by a billion dollar company and GT is almost made by a billion dollar company but is a first party project with developers that have spent years and years and years at this working on nothing but the PS4, with a direct line to Sony and all the access to technical knowledge and creators that are experts at optimizing for the PlayStation whenever they need it.

If DTG had the resources,time, money, developers and optimization potential that a company like those made GT, FIFA, The Last of Us, etc then you'd have a much better looking and performing TSW.

DTG has sadly been money first customer experience/Quality Assurance second but better performing and looking games sell more copies and more add-ons.

I think a huge part of this is just that the hardware at this point is significantly aged, and to make a game like Gran Turismo would cost probably more than the net worth of the company.

This is especially true if you look at how the game looks and runs on newer hardware such as the PS5 or Series X, there's a drastic difference in fidelity and performance.

6. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

After all the critical and mixed comments, something positive about the PS4 Pro. I'm currently playing TSW3 on it as there are still no PS5s on store shelves and I don't want to be put on the waiting list. In addition, it is still not possible to transfer profiles from PS4 to PS5 and meanwhile I've created a lot of liveries.

The thing that stands out the most about TSW3 is the new lighting system. Compared to TSW2 it may seem a bit too garish for some, but it is absolutely realistic and physically correct implemented by the UE4. I always play in 4K mode, that's why one or the other frame rate drops can't be prevented. But overall I don't see any difference to the TSW2 performance in 4K. The volumetric clouds are really a game changer for TSW. Even on PS4 standard they look great! So in my opinion it is worth to play TSW3 on a PS4 Pro, preferably in 1080p to avoid too conspicuous framerate drops...

volumetric clouds.jpg

7. darylb88

darylb88 Member

Thank for the feeback everyone - certainly something to think on. It seems like DTG take a few months to get each new console reasonably optimised so I might wait a couple of months and see where everything is at. The performance on my PS4 pro for TSW2 eventually got pretty stable. My one reservation about fps for TSW3 is the new lighting and weather system. Where are they getting this extra memory useage from? what are they actually cutting back because TSW2 pushes the limits of last gen already.

8. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I don't think they use extra memory on 8th gen consoles, because their isn't any memory left. The volumetric clouds are created using particles and are therefore part of the image rendered by the game engine. This allows them to be displayed three-dimensionally in space. Earlier skymaps were just 2D projections on a celestial sphere. Because clouds don't have to look as detailed as ground objects, they don't use a lot of RAM or computing power and this makes it possible to get them relatively pretty on the PS4.

It may be that the devs will get a more stable framerate in the future, but for now it's ok. Meanwhile it is reported in the forum that not everything is super smooth on PS5s or PCs either... ;)

9. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

Ps5 is also not great so you ps4 owners are not missing anything. Fps drops pop ups and sunny days are over exposed let's hope dtg look into this.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

I was thinking the same thing but I think it's important to remember it's still going to vary a lot based on route in TSW3.

TSW3 adds support for new lighting features but that doesn't absolutely mean every route will be taking advantage of them. There's still going to be a lot of variation.

For example: Look at the lighting on a somewhat cloudy day on Sherman in TSW2 that gets close to having almost perfect lighting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TSW3 is making great strides but we can't expect every route to look like Cajon. Especially if you look at SEHS during the day in a sunny environment.

Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I think "Cajon Pass" is a prime example for the new TSW3 lighting and volumetric clouds. Due to the extensive landscape including mountains, cloud shadows can be perceived very well, which provides great contrasts in the landscape. Personally I also like "Sherman Hill", which came across very well in TSW2. Especially on such routes with extensive areas, the play of light and shadow can be observed perfectly. I think the wish list for TSW3 lighting on former TSW2 routes will get bigger rather than smaller the more players switch to TSW3. For now only SOS, SEHS, KWB, Cajon and the Training Center are fully benefit from it...

12. deki32

deki32 Well-Known Member

You got a fair point here but mentioning FIFA as something “amazing” is really flushing the whole upper part down the toilet. Let’s give DTG some time here tho. I am very certain that it will improve as time goes on. Stay safe and keep on driving them trains :). Cheers

• Like Like x 1