Lzb With Afb In Stopping Points

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by thomastl59374, Sep 11, 2022.

1. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong or I'm missing something here.

On SKW when arriving at Fulda or Kassel you don't go off LZB so it you have it on it controls when you stop. Because of this it most often tends to stop short of the stop marker indicated and so you lose out on some points. Is there anyway around this without turning off LZB or is it just a case of some adjustments to the systems.

2. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

You must be missing something because when I arrive into Fulda my LZB turns off half way into the platform for me to manually stop at the stop marker

3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

My AFB doesnt automatically come off but I do manually turn it off arriving in Fulda & Kasel

4. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Yeah after it stopped me a couple hundred meters short at Fulda, i've learned to turn off LZB at the very end.

5. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

The problem is that the AFB will stop you actually ahead of the LZB stopping point (as it stays ahead of the LZB braking curve). You can brake manually and you should be able to stop on the marker. Irl you should never let AFB stop your train to a standstill, anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

So IRL you stop even futher ahead. Becasue the only way to stop beyond where the AFB will stop you is to disable AFB, and considering the AFB switch in the ICE 1 is on the back panel, I don't consider it something that should be interacted with while the train is in motion.
    So the only way how to stop AFB from stopping the train, is to stop it faster.

7. George C. Barnes

George C. Barnes Member

LZB is a remote signaling system, it does not physically control the train. AFB is the one who physically controls the train.
    LZB will override the AFB handle input (AFB maximum set value will still be applied) during "LZB-active" blocks.
    If you want to take back control of your trains, you can simply disconnect the AFB.

To be specific,
    1. Reset your power handle back to 0.
    2. Set the AFB handle to the maximum value.
    3. Disconnect AFB using Ctrl + R.
    4. Reset the AFB handle back to 0.
    5. Use your power/brake handles to control the train.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. thomastl59374

This is what I was thinking, I'm on Xbox so I can't use a keyboard shortcut to turn it off maybe in the ICE1 the second man might turn it off when the driver asks them

9. George C. Barnes

George C. Barnes Member

I think there is an immersive mode in the controller setting that provides a button that could loop your camera to a closer position for every train panel, which will contain the switchboard with the AFB switch.
    With a few presses, you will be able to set your camera on the switchboard without leaving the driver's seat.

10. OpenMinded

You do not disable the AFB! If you take manual control of your brakes, AFB will stop interfering right away, even though it is still switched on. So, if you put your brakes in 1A, your deceleration will be less then what AFB would do under LZB, hence, you will stop further down the line. You just need to be carful that you are not upsetting the LZB by going to far behind its braking curve.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Perks390

Perks390 Well-Known Member

I've found on the ICE 1 that AFB still increases brake force whilst brake controller is in an application position.

12. OpenMinded

I’ll try again later. Worked for me before, though…

13. HappyBasher

HappyBasher Active Member

That keyboard shortcut will be very useful thanks. I use a console but have a USB keyboard plugged in for situations such as this (and redeeming codes, logging into DTLive, etc) :)

14. OpenMinded

Alright, I stand to be corrected. I was sure I observed it on TSW, however, it must have been on the other famous German train simulator. Not quite sure what is prototypical, to be honest. Ill try to find out and report back, once more, if I get an answer...

• Like Like x 2
  15. OpenMinded

Already have the answer. The way I described it is the way it should be. Therefore the simulation is not prototypical in this aspect.

• Like Like x 2
  16. OpenMinded

Yeah, small inaccuracy, but to be fair, it’s also wrong on the 101. Apart from that I was quite happy with the 401. Enjoying it and the fact that it drives like a loco hauled train. It’s quite different to the 403 or 406 in this respect.

• Like Like x 1
  17. OpenMinded

:DThe first thing I took out was the 101 and a classic IC behind it. Simply like this train. That was also my confusion, I was so sure that I had driven the 401 and noticed above mentioned behaviour. But it must have been on Zusi, as I was comparing them side by side. In fact, I was surprised that when I checked, I only had 1 401 service completed at that time…

• Like Like x 1
  18. thomastl59374

I noticed on the 401 that AFB wouldn't disengage until around 2 kmh. The 403 AFB did stop braking for me though as soon as brakes were engaged. Although I haven't been able try this as it crashes anytime I attempt to stop at a station

19. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

AIUI, touching the train brake will disconnect the throttle, but AFB control of dynamic brakes continues and will slow you down to the AFB set speed.

20. OpenMinded

It will disconnect your throttle, yes, yxou will need to pull it to 0 and set it again to enable AFB to accelerate again. Braking will resume as soon as you stow your brake levers. I do not believe that electric breaking will stay enabled, when you brake manual?! The idea of this function is to give the driver full control over your deceleration, which would then not be the case.

21. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Why not try plugging a keyboard into the Xbox that way you have the PC Keyboard keys for AFB LZB PZB Sifa Lights and Pantographs. That way you can turn it off with out touching the back wall of ICE1. I do this on German routes

22. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That may indeed be prototypical behavior, but in the TSW model, right or wrong, AFB retains control of dynamic braking; the only way to avoid it is to turn AFB off, or set the speed above current speed so it doesn't try to slow you down.

• Like Like x 1