Tsw2 Dlcs Gone From All Stores

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by fabristunt, Sep 17, 2022.

1. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I knew DTG was going to remove tsw2 from sale, but I didn't expect them to also remove all DLCs.

It was so nice to be able to get DLCs at a lower price when I moved to tsw2, and it was a great deal for new players. This time however, nothing like that is going to be possible.

I understand removing tsw2, but the DLCs? It feels like DTG is yet again showing the middle finger to it's long time customers and supporters.

Well, F.U.R.B., as someone used to sing. I haven't bought tsw3 yet, but it's looking likely I'll never do it. I'm just about done supporting DTG.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

As I understood it, the DLC were all going to be universal in future, so there would only be one in the store for both TSW2 and TSW3. Probably at the request of Sony et al, who were fed up of there being dozens of duplicate DLCs for every version of the game.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Sony decides if the dlc are available on Steam?

4. Factor41

No, obviously not, that's what the "et al" was for. :|

Cleaning up the DLC and only having one for each route to unlock it in any version of TSW (and by doing so, reducing the number of queries from idiots who have bought the wrong thing) makes sense on any platform.

5. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

...And also removes the possibility to get old buggy software at a bargain price.
    Where did you read about this universal DLC thing?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jinoss17

So if I buy one of the old DLC discounted for example in the TSW3 store, I can use it on TSW2? Sounds a bit odd to me ... at least in Steam, I doubt it could work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Factor41

I guess the older routes will still get sales so it won't rule that out. Not sure where it was mentioned - there are now a million threads about DLC in TSW3 so I'm not even going to start looking, but I'm sure Matt or someone said that buying the route would unlock it in every version where it was available, so having version-specific ones in the store would become redundant. I guess it's effectively just a permission thing, like how the TSW3 version of things becomes free if you own the TSW2 version. I may have misunderstood, though! :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

puts me off as well tbh. I was looking at londonmidland's excellent mods for TSW3 as possible motive to buy TSW3 but what you have stated makes me think again.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

Not sure what the problem is exactly, you can buy TSW2 DLC from other online stores and use the serial on Steam (or Epic, but they are very limited if any at all) The serial will unlock all available versions (TSW, 2 and 3)

If you mean that other online stores are not selling, then it is because DTG doesn't provide them with new route/train add-on keys. Why that is, no idea. I doubt they get less $$ per sold serial from those sales then Steam/Epic/MS/Sony

• Like Like x 1
  10. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Jinoss17

That's exactly the problem.

• Like Like x 2
  12. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

We all klnow that with the release of TSW3 all of TSW2 was basically declared "abandoned".
    The bugs are declared final.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Semi related....try searching for NEC:NY, GP40-2 & Amtrak SW1000R for TSW2020 from the Steam store....you won't find them anywhere. Seeing as though these were the only 3 DLCs not to make the cut to TSW2 (and TSW3), they appear to be lost to time....

But no...google finds their pages quite ok, they are still there and purchasable (Of Course, you'll need TSW2020 which cannot be purchased directly from Steam anymore , even when trying to backdoor to the page via google). Sneaky.....

https://store.steampowered.com/app/577357/Train_Sim_World_Northeast_Corridor_New_York/
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/577359/Train_Sim_World_CSX_GP402_Loco_AddOn/
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1010135/Train_Sim_World_Amtrak_SW1000R_Loco_AddOn/

14. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Of course if they didn't keep re-versioning TSW every couple of years this wouldn't be a problem...

• Like Like x 5
  15. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I think that goes back to the announcement, before TSW3 was even released. DLCs would have a "Compatible" or some such label and work on both versions. Can't look for the specific mention at the moment, but I'll try later if someone else doesn't find it first.

16. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

It is explained in detail here, you can find and read all other important info in the TSW 3 FAQ.

17. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Although there is a report of the Steam forum of a TSW2 owner trying to buy the Island Line DLC from the TSW3 store (ie the only place it can be purchased from) but is unable to as the checkout says he doesnt own TSW3

Not sure if it is working as intended yet

18. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

I read about this, Island Line 2022 completely disappeared from the list of purchased TSW 2 DLC and was shown as not purchased.
    It was no longer even displayed in the list of installed DLC although the pak file was in the DLC folder and the DLC worked without problems in TSW 2. Something went wrong when assigning ownership of Island Line 2022. You still got a free copy of Island Line 2022 for TSW 3 without any problems.

At the end TSW 2 had 57 DLC, after TSW 3 was released there were suddenly only 55 in the list of owning DLC.
    The only question now is whether it is a Steam or DTG problem?!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jinoss17

If I read it correctly, if on Steam I buy an old dlc in the TSW3 store, I can use it on TSW2, even if Steam tells me that I need TSW3 to run that dlc?

20. phil.elliott

phil.elliott Well-Known Member

Well, that at least thinned out my Steam wishlist some...

• Like Like x 1
  21. Cygnific

Looks like a mistake. Best thing to do is send a message to the helpdesk.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

That's not good. The ought to have kept TSW2020 up so we could still play with those DLCs. It's one thing to withdraw DLC but keep the game up, but I've never seen a developer withdraw a game but not DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  23. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I notice one by product of migrating the DLC under the TSW3 umbrella - all the Steam user reviews are gone.

• Like Like x 4
  24. bashful subfiles

bashful subfiles New Member

The reason the dlc is still there is so those who already bought the game can still get content for it. At least on steam anyway, I dont know about other platforms.

While both tsw2020 and tsw2 and associated dlc are now unlisted when searching they can still be found by clicking the 'view dlc in store' link on game page.

• Like Like x 1
  25. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It was at the request of the devs (DTG) so I wouldn't understand how it would be a mistake. Steam doesn't go around and pull games from their stores and certainly not a game that is two years old unless a developer askes them to do it so frankly this seems intentional

• Like Like x 1
  26. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

The XBox store still has all the TSW2 DLC available. Just the core game packs are gone.
    upload_2022-9-19_22-0-31.png
    upload_2022-9-19_22-0-53.png

27. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

He was saying it was a mistake that he is unable to buy 'TSW Compatible" DLC for TSW2 from the TSW3 store.....not that the TSW2 DLC had been removed

28. karlack26

karlack26 Well-Known Member

The TSW2 dlc is gone from steam on my pc.

Looks like TSW2 is now gone from the store as well.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  29. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Yes...that was the intent. If you read the FAQs linked earlier in the thread it explains it.

All TSW1/2/3 DLC going forward has been consolidated to a single store page. How it is meant to work is, that you purchase the DLC from the TSW3 store page and if that DLC works for the version of TSW you own, it will activate (The DLC is shown with the 'TSW compatible' badge)

• Like Like x 2
  30. karlack26

karlack26 Well-Known Member

YEs thank for pointing me to that FAQ, its such a odd way to treat the DLC

31. Princess Entrapta

Yes but I was just pointing out that the XBox store has listings under TSW3 for the "TSW compatible" versions AND ALSO still lists them all with their old TSW2 and preserved collection logos under the separate TSW2 store page. Presumably buying either SKU gives you access to both. Curious how they handled it differently on different stores.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  32. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I was actually replying to tallboy7648 who was replying to Cygnific in regards the Steam Store. I have no idea how the Xbox or Playstation stores work as that is not my preferred platform

33. OldVern

They have buried TSW2 faster than any of us thought. As much as TSW3 is growing on me, seems now it was very much a cash grab for what in all honesty should have been a mid life upgrade and service pack for the existing product, funded by quality DLC. I really don’t fancy the chances of the TSW2 holdouts seeing much in the way of bug fixes or updates applied to that version.

• Like Like x 3
  34. Jinoss17

I thought the minute after it was released that TSW3 was a cash grab. Same issues as before, little to none graphic improvements, no performance improvements and I could continue.

In fact I haven't bought TSW3 and at the moment I'm not going to buy it any time soon.

• Like Like x 4
  35. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

May I direct you to this thread: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsw3-your-awesome-lighting-pictures.58156/

If you are unable to see the graphics differences from TSW2, I really suggest you visit an Optometrist

36. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Not just that. My TSW2020 guide, which I basically rewrote with manually reuploading any images in order to add it to TSW2, is again pretty much harder to find. It really discourages me to spend effort in making Steam guides for TSW3, as they'll be pretty much hard to find whenever TSW4 gets released.

• Like Like x 3
  37. Jinoss17

• Like Like x 4
  38. Princess Entrapta

Eh, I realise a lot of people can't distinguish the framerate drop between TSW2 and TSW3 so cannot see how much worse it looks to many folks. Generally it's folks that haven't gotten used to 60fps+, it's not an eye problem, it's just a matter of your eyes already being used to poor framerates.

• Like Like x 2
  39. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

This is the second or third time I've read the obnoxious " advice " that someone visit the eye doctor simply because they disagree with the poster's opinion or see the game differently.

Very unpleasant, to put it mildly.

• Like Like x 4
  40. tallboy7648

An improvement yes but it still has issues such as having a odd washed out effect on sehs when I play that route. It's better but not groundbreaking in my opinion because of the bright washed out effect. Certainly doesn't justify a $50 price tag

Also suggesting someone visit an eye doctor is just stupid.

• Like Like x 2
  41. OldVern

Agreed. As someone who has a couple of ongoing eye problems, one of which completely stumped the NHS Eye Clinic, it certainly isn't funny and IMHO the sort of personal aside the moderators should be stepping on.

• Like Like x 2
  42. Cygnific

If something is worth it to upgrade is for the individual to decide. Personaly I think it is worth it, but people with previous versions should have had a nice (50%) discount. There are a lot of changes made in TSW3 but obviously it could/should have been more.

I would have loved to see some major changes to the ballast/sleepers and near ground textures, more pom usage on other materials, more variation in ballast/sleepers. Options to move the fake (imposter) textures further away. Shadows removed from rail models, since it is rather annoying to have it pop 1/3th of the screen)

There are issues with SSR that brighten some train materials too much (roof). If you disable SSR (r.SSR.Quality=-1) the problem is gone.
    Or reflection materials that are too bright (gauges)

Edit: One thing I've noticed is that a lot more materials in TSW3 scenery use heigthmaps. Which is a nice start.

43. tallboy7648

Is there a solution for console players to get rid of the overbrightness?

• Like Like x 1
  44. Cygnific

It could be a setting in Post Proccessing Options, you can try that. Nothing else I can think of.

45. Jinoss17

A discount should be the minimum for existing users. I'll consider TSW3 once it will be discounted by at least half.

• Like Like x 3