Xbox Is It ‘safe’ To Run Tsw3 Alongside Tsw2?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by drdavewatford, Sep 18, 2022.

1. drdavewatford

drdavewatford Active Member

Sorry if this has already been extensively discussed - I could only find occasional comments.

I had problems accessing my DLC while switching between TSW2 and TSW2020 during that transition and I’m therefore wary of installing TSW3 if there are going to be similar conflicts as I’m likely to continue to play some of my DLC using TSW2 until some of the TSW3 bugs have been ironed out.

Are people having any difficulties switching between 3 and 2 to play their DLC?

2. Ethan11101

Ethan11101 Member

Do you mean like half of your DLCs missing? (I experienced that when I went to play TSW2020 for NECNY, then switching back to TSW2)

3. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Per Matt, the games are completely separate when installed and won't interfere with each other at all.

4. drdavewatford

Yep, this. Every time I went from one to the other I ended up having to reinstall a bunch of DLC - very irritating.

Thanks. I think that was also the case with TSW 2020 and TSW2. The problem was that when you played one, the other then refused to recognise the DLC that you’d installed and it had to be reinstalled. That’s what I’m hoping to avoid this time round!

5. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

TSW2 cannot see any of its installed DLC if the TSW3 version of that DLC is installed. My solution was to keep both games on separate external drives and only plug one in to the console at a time. Both games see all their DLC fine except GWE for TSW2 which has been missing for a while now ingame and doesn't appear even if I delete and reinstall it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. drdavewatford

Blimey, what a faff. Sounds very much like my experience of transitioning from TSW2020 to TSW2. Not sure I can be bothered to go through all that again….

7. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

So the complete opposite of what Matt has been quoted as saying above?

Business as usual then, glad we got that one cleared up!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Princess Entrapta

All I can confirm is what happens when I try to have both games installed on the same Series X at once, be it on different SSDs, or on the same SSD. Soon as TSW3 is present, TSW2 lists zero available routes, if TSW2 is on the internal drive and the drive with TSW3 on is removed, they reappear as soon as TSW2 is next fired up (Except for GWE and Arosalinie, those two have been AWOL from TSW2 for the last week)

Obviously though, my workaround that's working is prohibitively expensive for most people (Owning multiple seagate storage expansion cards)

9. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

Yup, as mentioned above, the same thing happened with TSW2 if you had TSW2020 installed on the same HDD, I just find it curious that Matt says they're separate entities, when there's clearly a conflict between the two going on somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

If you have any external drive then yes.

Install TSW3 in it's entirety on your internal drive and when that's complete move the older routes to your external drive. Note: If you have a standard HDD / SSD you cannot move content that is exclusive to TSW3.

Once that's complete you're now free to install any amount of TSW2 onto your internal drive. I'd say it was an inconvenience but considering the accumulative size of TSW's addons, most would probably move it anyway to free up storage space.

I've checked this with the TSW2 base game plus two extra routes and it works fine.
    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/164652222

11. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Not sure if I‘ve understood it correctly, but I have all the German DLC installed on my Series X in both TSW2 and TSW3 and I‘m having no issues switching between the two versions (which I have been doing to play New Journeys)

All German Routes + East Coastway.+ Harlem

I only had the Base TSW2 installed. Then added TSW3 then added my other DLCs to both.

12. Princess Entrapta

I'm especially curious about this since I noticed my GWE had disappeared completely from TSW2 around the time the fix for it being missing in TSW3 was implemented. Did the fix for it not showing up in TSW3 make TSW2 unable to see it?

I suspect something is going on in the backend with how each game recognises multiple DLCs which operate off the same licence entitlement in the store.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pinxtonpaws

GWE is present on both my TSW's.

14. Princess Entrapta

I have repeatedly attempted fixes such as reinstalling GWE, it's missing on all three of my XBox Series consoles. Has been since at least the 13th. The ingame store lists it as 24.99, rather than correctly showing it as owned like the XBox store shows, but when you click it in there it gives an "Error: you already own this" message, so the game can clearly see my entitlement to it. It just cannot see that it is currently installed. I'm holding out hope that whatever glitch is causing this might be fixed by the content manager.

I do wonder now if it might show up if I install the TSW3 version on that drive too, since that was updated to fix it being missing in TSW3 around that time. I'll go and do that now and see if it fixes it.

[EDIT] Tried it, still no GWE. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

15. pinxtonpaws

It's really weird how some have had issues, yet others have had none whatsoever.
    The only problem I encountered with TSW3 was that when I uninstalled one of it's base routes the game wouldn't load any more (a generic XBox error telling me that something was wrong), but that went away when I uninstalled & reinstalled the core game....and the only thing that I've done out of the ordinary is to delete the 1gb of reserved space for TSW3 to see if it returned as 1gb. It's a 'me thing' that stems from noticing Microsoft Flight Sim's insistence for 62gb (yes, 62gb!) of reserved space :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Princess Entrapta

I originally had both on my internal drive, which is how I learned they were not compatible with each other, and had to resolve the matter by putting them on separate seagate storage cards, since both on the same drive, or one on each drive each scenario caused the TSW2 ones to be invisible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1