Jt Hope Valley Extension Review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick Y, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Yesterday the Hope Valley extension was released for the MML by Just Trains.
    This review is written with all MML extensions installed and updated.
    Warning: This route must be run with maximum scenery density other wise you will find assets missing as I did in my stream last night.

Review
    This route in most parts does live up to the standard of the other MML add-ons for TSC.
    It is quite detailed track side and has some nice additions to the scenery.
    It is generally quite well made and makes an enjoyable ride between Sheffield and Manchester Piccadilly.

The Hope Valley is provided with enough detail to believe that you are actually there and, as per JT standards, stations are well modelled with certain stations having posters etc that you can actually read giving details of the local area.
    The Hope cement works is well modelled and features a few scenarios to run from either there or Earles Sidings.

There are 10 standard scenarios using generic TS assets and 14 scenarios utilising various AP locos and assets along with the ATS/Imbue class 185.

As I said above, most of the route is of a high standard. However, there are areas on the route that will cause low frame rates (15fps I managed to get in Piccadilly) with several other noticeable drops where there are custom assets and a high level of detail.

I will say though that the area around New Mills is very detailed. In the valley below the station there are factories and even the Millennium walkway which is suspended above the river and valley wall. There is also a small waterfall in the valley.

Final thoughts
    It is clear that Just Trains puts a lot of effort into their routes, particularly the MML add-ons we have seen recently.

I also did a semi fast run from Piccadilly to Sheffield and had a good look round at the stations last night during a live stream. I have to say, I did enjoy the run and am looking forward to playing more.

If you'd like to watch the live video, it is available here

Below are some examples of missing assets if you do not run with max scenery density.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Thanks for the review… certainly useful.

I have a quick question that I can’t easily find the answer to from the route manual … does the new Hope Valley DLC merge with the other JT Midland Mainline DLC Routes?

I have the previous available merge from Sheffield to Leicester and Lincoln, but was wondering can you now drive Manchester Piccadilly to Leicester/ Lincoln via Sheffield/ Nottingham/ Derby in one merged drive? (I assume there no scenario for that)

• Like Like x 1
  3. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Yes, that is correct. It merges with the other JT MML routes so you can drive from Manchester to Lincoln should you wish.

4. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

I assume that the JT route from Sheffield - Derby being sold on Alan Thomson Simulation will also be able to merge with this, it was updated to v1.11 yesterday, but, there is no information offered anywhere that actually confirms this.

Cheerz. Steve.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you read the JT Page it says just that
    https://www.justtrains.net/product/midland-main-line-hope-valley-extension
    The clue is in the word Extension as it Extends the MML Derby - Sheffield route which is required to make it work.

Further down it says
    This version of the Hope Valley route will only work if you have Just Trains' Midland Main Line: Sheffield-Derby route installed in Train Simulator.

Please note that this route will NOT work with the Steam version of the Midland Main Line: Sheffield-Derby route.

7. ex_railwayman

I've just bought this from JT but it won't bloody install, keeps coming up with some ludicrous error message saying it can't find my MML route installation???? What exactly is it looking for, any idea, anybody??
    I have MML installed, I updated it tonight before attempting to put the Hope Valley Line extension on afterwards, this is just absolutely shambolic.....

Cheerz. Steve.

JT amendments today.jpg JT new MML route version today.jpg Unable to locate JT MML route.jpg

8. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Is it trying to install to the right directory (E drive in your case) I and others have had issues with JTs installers not finding the Railworks directory hence why they have a regfix available to download, not sure if this is your problem or not because I can't see the path on the install window.

9. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

That's certainly strange.
    Could it be because you have renamed the .exe files?
    I leave installer programs named as they come and had no issue with installing the route, even though the installer program is on drive D (HDD) and my railworks files are on drive E (SSD).

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Did you install the latest version of MML which was released a few days ago?
    If the installer does not find certain files from the updated route it might not install.

11. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Do you have other extensions to the route? The order if uninstallation is (if you have them) in reverse order Nottingham Lincoln/Barrow hill/Erewash valley/Nottingham Leicester/Derwent valley/Derby Sheffield. Reinstall version 1.11 of Derby Sheffield then Derwent/Nottingham Leicester/Erewash/Barrow/Nottingham Lincoln then finally Hope valley.
    Installed without issues for me.

12. ex_railwayman

I obtained my MML from Alan Thomson Sim, Peter, there is a v1.11 that was uploaded onto his website on the 22nd September, however, after un-installing and re-installing the environment asset folder is virtually empty and doesn't have the identical files in from the previous version, could that be the reason why this Hope Valley won't install correctly, in which case we need an amended v1.11 being uploaded again onto his website before we can go any further.

And I don't have any other extensions and I never alter the wording on an .exe application file.

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  13. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Does your original MML Sheffield - Derby work and show up in TS?
    I'm just wondering if the ATS version is the standalone one that's not meant for the merge. I know JT have done 2 different versions of the add-ons.

14. ex_railwayman

Yes, I'm playing on it at the moment, Nick, it's fine. Thanks anyway.

Cheerz. Steve.

15. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

Perhaps you need to download the registry fix from JT. I have had issues once with a JT addon not being able to find TSC and got the registry fix from JT and that fixed the issue.

16. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Which is what I advised further up the thread, don't know if the OP has done it though.

And before anyone says that the registry obviously works as the OP has MML installed already, I needed to apply the regfix a week or so ago and I have an extensive JT library so whether it gets knocked out by a windows update or something idk.

17. martschuffing

The route is excellent in any case only little gripe is the lack of warnings for various speed changes coming off the hope valley line down into Stockport. But apart from that, it is fantastic. Love to see Buxton added at some point with the freight line from Buxton to the Hope valley line with the reversal sidings at Buxton.

• Like Like x 1
  18. martschuffing

Wonder if Nick the author or Pennine Pacer as he is known could merge the hope with his Manc Huddersfield route and it would be cool if Chat moss could be stitched on too?

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not sure what you would gain by having both Hope Valley and Man - Huddersfield joined?
    The only section they have in common is Piccadilly to Ashburys - all of about 2 miles

20. ex_railwayman

Thanks for the thought, Trev, I'd forgotten about that issue, I'll see if that works.

Cheerz. Steve.

21. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Ok, I will take that personally.

Noted.

22. yagna2308

yagna2308 Member

I understand that the line with five stations (Gorton, Fairfield, Guide Bridge, Hyde North and Hyde Central) between Ashburys and Woodley was not included due to budget and timeline constraints. Would like to see this missing link in the Hope Valley DLC be included in the future to run Piccadilly to Rose Hill and some services via Hyde Central to New Mills Central.

23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I think it is unlikely Just Trains would revisit the route once released.
    Adding new stations might have the affect of breaking the route for the people that own it.

24. yagna2308

yagna2308 Member

Maybe a steam workshop route using the assets in the JT common library and Hope valley would work? It could be like a separate route cloned out of the original so that it would not affect the original but will make owning the original route as a required DLC. Just a thought.

25. nffc456

nffc456 New Member

I've got a question if I bought just the hope valley line not as a extension ( just on itself as £29.99) to the other MML routes will it still do the through stretch from Manchester to Sheffield or will I have to buy the Sheffield to derby MML aswell?

26. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

The Just Trains product page for the standalone version says, "This Hope Valley route for Train Simulator Classic links Sheffield to Manchester". If it doesn't and it stops at Dore and Totley then I think you would have good grounds to complain and ask for a refund.

27. ex_railwayman

I'm sure the extra price is because they have added Sheffield Station onto this standalone route and the local area, down to Dore & Totley Station and then you branch off to Manchester, you don't require the Derby MML.

Cheerz. Steve.

• Like Like x 1
  28. ex_railwayman

That is correct, you can drive past Ardwick Station and sidings and then onto Ashburys Station and the line just peters out and the catenary disappears to a dead end.

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022