Just Drove The Full Kwg In Ice3

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sharon E, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Just ran service ICE 632 and have to say, for me, that it was a bore. Once you set up your train and depart, there is nothing to do other then hit the 'q' key to acknowledge Sifa and a random buzzer that goes off, have no clue what it means. At the one stop, besides opening and closing the doors, you had to reset the throttle to depart. I have already run an overnight freight and will limit myself to them on this route, at least you have to control your train. I know there are people who enjoy the speed, but I want something to do other then sit and watch.

• Like Like x 5
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I play these without SIFA. Just watch & epic departures & cool approaches. Hbf(s) full of trains \o/

3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

You don't need to enable AFB on the passenger runs, I mean it's not prototypical but it is fun.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Also, you could use AFB prototypically and not as an autopilot. I've lost count of how many times I have talked about it, DTG really should introduce people to the way AFB is actually used by drivers.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Sharon E

So how is AFB used by drivers in reality v. how we see it now. I know with freights, I use it to set my target speed, but change it as necessary.

6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

You set AFB to the current speed limit (more frequently updated than you'd do on a freight train) and use it as an aid to prevent speeding. When you've reached your target speed, cut power if possible to reduce energy consumption. Also, cut power well in advance of speed restrictions (or stops) to let your speed drop naturally without wasting energy. Never let AFB/LZB brake for you. Always brake manually before AFB/LZB intervene.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  7. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Very true, its actually possible to throttle off 30-40 km prior to your station stop and still make time. I actually drive to the timetable rather than trying to get there as fast as possible.

My record for coasting is 46km into Fulda southbound and still made time.

• Like Like x 2
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tof70110

tof70110 Member

Hi everyone,
    Quite correct, as stipulated by [Lampe] and [redrev1917]the AFB is in no way a kind of "automatic pilot" it is only an assistant for maintaining speed and does not replace the management acceleration / braking that the driver must exercise !!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

I load up netflix on my other screen then Tsw3 on my centre screen then i just sit back and relax and press the sifa pedal

• Like Like x 4
  11. breblimator

breblimator Guest

For me, after all these angry years, TSW has become more of communing with trains than playing. The Experience.

12. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Find myself in agreement with OP.

13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The ICE1 is the better train, slower to accelerate, you can open the cab windows and it has agreeable sounds, especially rheostatic braking. But I agree the freight runs are probably the best thing about this route albeit I prefer the 155 to the screechy 185. Just need to find a run that can be done at dawn or dusk when there's a little daylight still.

With hindsight, they should have done the Rhine Valley as the new route for TSW3.

14. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Playing with LZB enabled? Have a look at the speed display when the buzzer sounds and see if the yellow numbers at the bottom have changed. The buzzer is likely LZB notifying you of a speed reduction ahead.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Peter Smith

Peter Smith Member

BR 401 DB (ICE 3): When using LZB, with AFB set to anything to line speed limit (or above), the train just keeps on accelerating. "G" is illuminated as I pass the line or LZB speed limit but no brakes are applied. Speed just continues climbing. Emergency buzzer sounds, but nothing happens unless I intervene and apply brakes manually. The moment I release the brakes, the speed increases continuously again completely ignoring the LZB or line speed limits. (This happens in any ICE3 Time Table serial). Bug???

16. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Have you enabled AFB or just moving the lever?

Cheers

17. Peter Smith

Peter Smith Member

Yes, I have enabled it.

18. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

I actually really enjoy Kassel-Wurzburg! yes is uneventful, yes, it's a straight piece of track with nothing to do but cancel Sifa but the journey and scenery are enjoyable enough for me to have already completed 27 services.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sharon E

Have driven 2 freight services so far and got silver on both and no idea why. It is a fun drive and I like looking at the lights around me.

20. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Well done and I've tried to do ICE 3 SFS Hannover Kassel Wurzburg. The way I do this is Keyboard Xbox Controller for Brakes.
    Which section of the Rhine Valley is it Koln Hbf to Koblenz or Koblenz to Frankfurt am Main Hbf via the Lorelei Rock

21. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Having just done both in TSC arguably the southern portion from Koblenz to Frankfurt is more scenic. I first encountered this route on the original Protrain version for MSTS and it really is a must in any sim. Of course, as you know, I’m a fan of the early 80’s era so would need to include the iconic DB BR103, the BR141 and all that lovely comfortable (not) UIC and original Silberlinge stock.