Tsw + Lirr = 24/7 Railroading!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Yeah. I guess. lol.

2. Kestrel33

Kestrel33 Active Member

No, they don't. But this is a good start.

• Like Like x 1
  3. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Hm. Gary Dolzall downvoted one of my earlier posts (the one with the two not-really-complaints). That was a fairly big post- lots of stuff in it. Gary, if you're reading this, could you explain which part of it you disagreed with? I'm not trying to sound rude, pressing, or offensive- I'm just curious.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  4. Subway

Subway New Member

Im definatly buying this route . But will it be a future dlc for ts19 as well? Would love to see it there as well

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

It would definitely be nice if the LIRR finally came to TS1 after so many years but let’s be happy with what we’re getting for now and hope that the future holds a lot more in store for us.

6. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Which colour line are they making?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dawidowmaker999

Dawidowmaker999 Member

Can’t wait. Would pay it’s weight worth in gold.

8. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

All three grey lines on the far left.
    Entire yellow line going to Hempstead.
    The little purple stub going down to Belmont Park.
    Dark blue Line to Hicksville

That's it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  10. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

While it's nice to see that lots of folks will enjoy this new TSW route, I'm not among them: not a single glimpse of freight anywhere, certainly no switching activities. Not for me. Anyone else?

• Like Like x 3
  11. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Complete opposite. Not a huge fan of freight personally.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Anthony Pecoraro

I like both.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

It's disappointing they haven't included any of the NY&A operations. DTG already have the GP38-2 and freight cars from NEC and CSX. I assume DTG will have laid the various freight tracks/spurs along the route they have created, as many of the industries served are immediately adjacent to the commuter tracks. They could also connect the route to Fresh Ponds Yard (the base of NY&A operations) on the NEC route. If there are any issues preventing the use of the NY&A brand, a GP38-2 in a fictious leasing company paint scheme would suffice.

Even if your interest is the commuter traffic, would you not like to have freight cars parked up along the route and some AI traffic other than the M7s?

I think DTG are missing an opportunity to create a route which appeals to all. Perhaps I'll get the route in a future sale, but without any freight operations I'm not excited enough for a day one purchase.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Anthony Pecoraro

Licensing! ;)

15. raildan

Exactly.

While I do kind of believe that a good, "well-rounded" route should usually have both freight and passenger to appease both passenger-oriented players and freight-oriented players, a freight-only or passenger-only route as a DLC isn't bad in my opinion as long as it is good at whichever one it represents. This looks like a good passenger route, with frequent stops, tight schedules, high traffic, and, best of all, many branches.

Why? Because, as the old argument goes, you aren't required to buy all the DLC. If it isn't a route you want, don't buy it. As long as a significant group of players like it, it's fine.

(Personally, I like both freight and passenger operations, so I'm still gonna buy all of these for now.)

EDIT: And yes, I know that none of the above post has to do with licensing, lol.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Dom Whibley

Dom Whibley Active Member

Looks Great. I hope we finally get a British steam loco next though. (*cough* Unrebuilt Bullied light pacific *cough*)

• Like Like x 2
  17. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of freight at all. So this route is right up my alley. Not to mention I used to take this to work at an earlier point in time under my current employer. So this route is an automatic sell for me. Not to mention I've advocated for this since my early days playing TS20xx, which I still hope they'll make this for as well.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Lawjester

So my preference is always passenger trains. Freight bores me to death so I don’t tend to play it often. The most ideal passenger/freight route would definitely be an Amtrak route with a P42 and a Union Pacific locomotive or something. That would satisfy most because it hits all the different preferences for people. I’m so incredibly excited for this LIRR route and I can’t wait to play it! It’s been such a long time coming for an LIRR route and hopefully this is just the beginning for MTA content... we’ll just have to wait and see.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Dawidowmaker999

Dawidowmaker999 Member

Definitely can’t wait for steam. Love steam trains.

20. R62A1973

R62A1973 Active Member

When will we hear more about LIRR?

• Like Like x 2
  21. Digital Draftsman

I already suggested a way around licensing issues. There's no licensing issues if you're using a fictious leasing company for the freight locomotives. Instead of GATX it could be a DTGX leased locomotive with DTG colours on it. There shouldn't be any licensing issues at all with doing that.

Either way, LIRR is publicly owned and LIRR own the freight franchise which was awarded to NY&A.So I'd be very suprised if NY&A would say 'no' to licensing when LIRR have said yes. I'd also be very suprised if either company would have an issue with their branding appearing with the other's. It's more likely DTG planned the route as commuter only from the start and never approached NY&A about licensing.

22. Anthony Pecoraro

Most people don’t want fictional rolling stock.

23. raildan

Actually, while the two companies have a close relationship and were once one and the same, NY&A is now owned by Anacostia Rail Holdings, a short line holding company. "Franchising" isn't really a thing in the US. (Not from this particular area, could be wrong in NY, but I know it holds true elsewhere) Besides, what say does the DfT have in licensing their franchises?

Exactly. DTG doesn't like to do this, and they also hate unbranded locos. Also, it would just be inaccurate to have only leased locomotives here- NY&A leases like 2 or 3 locos.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Digital Draftsman

MTA owns the tracks and LIRR, the freight operations on the LIRR trackage are a franchise which was originally awarded to the NY&A in 1997 for a duration of 20 years, it was then renewed for a further 10 years in 2017. I didn't say that MTA or LIRR would have a say, but it would be suprising for the NY&A to say no to a licensing agreement, when LIRR had said yes. What reason would the NY&A have to say no that LIRR didn't? It's good exposure for both their brands and they don't work in competition with each other.

Anyway it's a pointless debate as I've since been informed that DTG didn't approach the NY&A and never planned any freight operations for this DLC, so we'll never know what NY&A would have said.

25. Anthony Pecoraro

I think Matt said something about not having the the NY&A licensing when it didn’t exist in NEC for the lower portion of Fresh Pond Junction.

26. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

I guess you're surprised then :)

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
  27. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Hoping that this will have functioning displays at stations and/or on trains, will definitely help with three different termini! Otherwise can't wait for this, my poor Xbone's getting another workout! :D

28. Anthony Pecoraro

It won’t. Matt confirmed it.

29. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Did he say when they are ready with that? Its certainly a thing thats needed in a game like TSW.

30. rare_common_sense

So, wait... you mean to say that for trains that have destination displays, it won't at least show destinations for them? I mean if they couldn't put in stations announcements, that displays on the trains would have at least helped it be a bit more immersive. Timetabled displays would have been nice too. I hope this is something that they can implement later on, somehow.

Either way, I'm still getting this route regardless. I just think it was a bit of a wasted opportunity to leave something like that out. Especially as busy as this railroad is. Would have made this a more unique offering.

• Like Like x 3
  31. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

With destination displays and station announcements, its better that we wait longer for them to get it right first time rather than have a broken version released with LIRR. New features should only be added to dlc when fully ready and tested in my opinion.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. ThreadBear

ThreadBear New Member

I'm impressed that Dovetail chose an interesting selection to simulate. Much better than the incoherent route selected for the NEC DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  33. rare_common_sense

Snapple Facts. I still consider the NEC for TSW a demo route. It's probably one of the primary reasons that the LIRR is the second American route based in New York was done. Which could have well more than likely done as a consolation of sorts for the not so popular choice they chose to go, with the NEC.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Lawjester

Hmm, don’t remember Matt saying no to destination displays on the trains. It would make sense to have them because it could be confusing with other AI trains that are going to a destinations not represented in TSW. They did it with the M8s in TS14 too, with just destination signs. I personally don’t want to confuse a Far Rockaway train with a Hempstead train in Atlantic Terminal...

35. Anthony Pecoraro

Matt said no PIS.

36. xD 2Bad4You

Source?

37. Anthony Pecoraro

Discord

38. Lawjester

Did I say PIS? No I didn’t for like the 50th time today. To have the destination signs up but no announcements shouldn’t be so difficult.

39. xD 2Bad4You

You have a link for that? I was in it but its not in my Server list anymore..

40. R62A1973

R62A1973 Active Member

Will there be marker lights like brake status door open and number boards?

• Like Like x 1
  41. raildan

Yeah, both of these are visible in the screenshots and can be found on other TSW routes.

42. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Oh well, can't have everything I guess, haha. Either way this still looks amazing. :)

• Like Like x 2
  43. Typhomat

Typhomat Well-Known Member

With no PIS, I would hope that DTG can provide a nice schedule similar to GWR to help us figure out what trains will be going where when, that would be useful

• Like Like x 4
  44. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

I doubt there will be a schedule, there wasn't one for the last DLCs. If I remember correctly GWE was the last one where DTG made one. None for RT, NEC, RSN.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  45. Anthony Pecoraro

No official one. ;)

46. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Ugh, I was kinda hoping they'd release the LIRR for TS instead, especially since they could make a longer route after the 64 bit update, but I guess we have to accept what the DTG overlords throw at us. I will give them credit though. I thought a TSW LIRR release would just cover Penn Station to Jamaica. Hicksville is beyond what I thought they would do as well as including the Hempstead Branch. At least you'll be able to run a full point A to point B service.

I guess this isn't so bad, but they really should do a release on TS for people who want one of the longer lines. Also they had better not do the Metro North Hudson Line in TSW. That's a route that's made for TS, especially since the entire New Haven Line is already in that game.

• Like Like x 3
  47. Anthony Pecoraro

Also the Atlantic Terminal and Long Island City Branch.

48. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Yeah. It is more than I expected. I just hope they do the Hudson Line in TS. Otherwise, have fun doing GCT to Yonkers.

• Like Like x 3
  49. Anthony Pecoraro

Or to New Haven.

50. R62A1973

R62A1973 Active Member

Or hunterspoint ave?