PC Thoughts On The Long Island Rail Road Route For Tsw

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by NorthRail1, Oct 27, 2018.

1. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Choice of Route
    The new DLC has been announced as the Long Island Rail Road, an often requested network for both TS19 and TSW. This route proposal (https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/long-island-railroad.2444/) shows the large support which this route has had. So, what does this show about DTG's choice of routes:
    1. They aren't always remaking routes from TS19. All of the other TSW routes except Sand Patch Grade have been entirely or partially featured in TS19 before. This shows that DTG is definitely interested in making completely new routes for TSW
    2. They are listening to the community. The Long Island Rail Road has often been requested and is now being made for TSW. This means that other highly requested routes could also make there way into TSW now.

The Route
    This is the first network route for TSW with many branches from the New York - Hicksville main line including the Atlantic Branch, Belmont Park Branch and Hempstead Branch. This will make service mode much more interesting as there will be a bigger variety of services, whereas other routes such as Great Western Express contained mostly end-to-end services e.g. London - Reading and vice versa. The length of 42 miles makes this the third longest TSW route, with Sand Patch Grade and Rapid Transit being longer. Whilst DTG is not yet making long routes like in TS19, they aren't making routes as short as Great Western Express or NEC: New York it seems.

Choice of Locomotive
    The route contains one locomotive, the Bombardier M7. This makes this the second route, the other being Rapid Transit, to contain only one locomotive. Whilst this will decrease the variety, the different branch routes will probably increase the variety enough for this to be acceptable. It isn't too bad that there is only one locomotive featured with this route, but I hope that this doesn't become the norm for future routes.

Route Extensions
    The latest studio update says that it is currently not possible to extend routes using the editing tools, presumably this is the same for Dovetail Games also. Because of this, it will not immediately be possible for the route to be extended. However, the studio update does hint at this potentially being possible in the future. Extensions could include the Ronkonkoma branch to Greenport, the Port Jefferson Branch to Port Jefferson or shorter branches closer to New York such as the Oyster Bay, Port Washington, Far Rockaway, Long Beach and West Hempstead branches. Adding further branches in the future would definitely increase the variety of services even more.

Loco DLC
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/long-island-locos.13488/#post-54676
    Some ideas in the Long Island Locos thread.

Overall Impression
    This route is certainly another step in the right direction for Train Sim World, with DTG definitely listening to the community for the choice of route. The addition of branches from the main line also makes the route more interesting. The only significant drawback right now I'd say is the inclusion of only one locomotive.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

I think DTG can extend there routes. Because they have the orginal files that we dont have.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

This route looks absolutely amazing. I can’t wait to try it out!

• Like Like x 1
  4. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

This is a wonderful start and I'm so happy to hear this news! I'll admit that I was super disappointed to hear the DE30AC/DM30AC would be sitting out seeing as how iconic they are with the image of railroad, imo. I hope to see at least that locomotive and the double-decker passenger cars added at some point.

I'll be purchasing this day one. Let's see what you got DTG.

• Like Like x 4
  5. pdxmark77

pdxmark77 Active Member

That is my understanding as well, we just can’t do it in the editor as we don’t have the original source files.

• Like Like x 1
  6. class350

class350 Member

Unfortunately another potentially great route that will not be purchased by me due to the game-wide sound bug. Absolutely useless at fixing bugs. "Hey we fixed the braking application time from 1 second to 1.1 seconds, because we know that's more important to you than the easily overlookable issue of HAVING THE OUTSIDE SOUND PLAY IN THE CAB!"

Yes I'm angry because it can't be that hard and of such little importance to dtg to fix a showstopping bug caused by a clearly messily made sound file.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

I think they should combine this route with NEC, at least have them connect up somehow for the people who purchased both routes.

• Like Like x 6
  8. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Now, that might indeed be interesting!

• Like Like x 2
  9. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

NEC has been part of the TSW package since its rebrading/release. So it can be expected that everyone that is going to get LIRR has NEC.

10. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

I don't think I will be in any hurry to buy this route it's not somthing that interests me it will be another one for a sale as was NEC.

11. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

There's no freight or other AI traffic included which is why I'll be waiting for the tools/workshop to become functional before I purchase it.

There doesn't seem to be any freight cars included at all, so it means every freight yard or spur will be completely empty. They should at least include some freight cars to make the yards and freight tracks look used. There isn't even an AI version of the Amtrak stock from NEC.

With TS2019 you can get away with releasing a route with only one peice of rollingstock because people can create (or D/L from the Workshop) scenerios using their own stock to give the full experience. In TSW the rollingstock is locked to the route it comes with, so it's up to DTG to provide the full experience. I don't want to drive a commuter service into one of the busiest cities in the world, only to see empty yards and no other AI traffic that isn't a LIRR M7.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I'm pretty new around here but I'm not sure I understand this- Are none of the stock / locos that we currently have access to going to be of any use in this module?

13. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

The only locomotive that is available in LIRR is the M7. Previous locomotives are not able to be used in the route.

14. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Sounds riveting.

15. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

The way the game is currently set up means that you can only use the trains/wagons that come with the route on that route. So if you wanted to drive a GP38-2 and some freight cars on the new route, you will not be able to. If you wanted to drive the Amtrak train from the NEC addon on the new route you will not be able to. You will only be able to drive the M7 and all the AI traffic will be M7s, a bit boring when you consider the real route has freight trains and Amtrak trains.

I know it goes against every train simulator released in the past (MSTS, Trainz, TS2019), but for some reason DTG decided to content lock each route; a very poor decision in my opinion. The only light at the end of the tunnel is that the developer tools will allow those who have the time to learn how to use them, the ability to create scenarios with different stock on different routes. Whilst DTG have said a Beta version of the tools should be released before Christmas, they actually said the same thing last year and no tools appeared, so until I actually have a copy of the tools to play with, I won't be holding my breath.

This is a big reason I'm holding off buying anymore DLC for TSW.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Anthony Pecoraro

That will change when the editor comes out.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I’m still utterly dismayed that someone will need to muck around in the editor or download external content just to see variety added by their own modules in an elaborate world that goes to extreme lengths to look authentic. It’s like cooking a 10 course meal and omitting plates.

Certainly downloading aftermarket community content is one of the staples of a game of this nature but good grief. A little turnkey variety would be nice considering a content creator is in the fog of “by Christmas.”

• Like Like x 3
  18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Just bought thanks!

19. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

Now that we've seen a slew of more information and screenshots of the LIRR, it seems to confirm that this route will take place in the current day without 3rd mainline track and grade crossing elimination programs. Also looks like we get the entire Hillside Support Facility which hopefully offers some shunting scenarios or "deadhead" operations where we just drive to/from the depot like there are in Great Western.

The 28 stations make sense, and follows along perfectly with what they have planned, so we will get the Hempstead Branch, the mainline to Hicksville, Belmont, and all Eastern terminal stations. A bit of a shame they couldn't reskin the base GP38 for NY&A freight service, but it is what it is, and the M7 should be just fine.

There are no videos yet, but I do hope they get the motor sounds for the M7 correct. It certainly has a very unique sound, and judging by previous DTG sound, doesn't bode too well, but I will hold my judgement until gameplay videos are released.

20. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

The announcement post showed a service transferring from Westside Yards to Penn Station, so it definitely looks like there will be some stock moves.

• Like Like x 2
  21. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

I think we should hear an explanation from DTG as to why NEC loco's aren't being featured in LIRR's service mode.
    Everyone that owns TSW has NEC by default. There's no doubt in my mind that at some point the developers discussed having LIRR connected to the existing NEC, and at very least having the locomotives of NEC appear along LIRR.
    Remember that due to the limitations of the editor we will be unable to make our own service mode timetables with all the rolling stock we want.

Why was the decision made to not integrate the two? Was it technical limitations? Could the routes not be joined for the same reason we'll be unable to edit existing TSW routes, and creating our own service mode in the upcoming editor? When the decision was made not to have LIRR be an extension, was it simply a factor of the time it would take to add all those additional NEC services to LIRR just for the sake of appearances? Will the integration of LIRR and NEC services be a thing that once LIRR releases will not be seen as worth going back to?

• Like Like x 1
  22. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

That's not correct as not everybody upgraded to the bundled version that includes NEC. I did personally but there's at least one poster on this forum who only owns CSX:HH.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I resemble that remark.

To add context I think I may have just been on a sabbatical when the upgrade was offered or something. Not sure if it was a transitional thing for free for a time or if it was always just something that “everyone” did... but yeah... I didn’t yet. Probably will if something jingles this upcoming Black Friday but for now I’m alone on HH.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  24. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

Agree. I'm very surprised that this isn't already an option. Maybe it is something they will be able to experiment with in the future. That seems like the most logical reason to do Penn Station and Sunnyside Yard twice.

• Like Like x 2
  25. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I only own CSX Heavy Haul, no other routes. 2 things need to happen for me to purchase anything else TSW.

1. And most importantly, some serious problems (not just bugs) need to be fixed.
    2. They need to release a route that has interest to me.

I hope this route is enjoyable for all of those that like passenger service.

26. Anthony Pecoraro

NEC has good freight activities. :)

27. LimitedEdiition

Is that confirmed? I know in CSX HH, if you bought the DLC geep, it would show up in HH. Definitely something to bring to their attention, as having ACS in Sunnyside and West Side Yard would be better than it being empty.

• Like Like x 1
  28. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Yea and I've thought about buying it, I might try it if it comes up for sale but an all city route isn't my first choice. And my disappointment with DTG's priority of releasing DLC over fixing problems, I'm not in a hurry to buy anything from them at the moment.

• Like Like x 4
  29. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Faulty "reasoning", not to mention spelling.

• Like Like x 1
  30. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Want to see Dovetail extend the route out to Ronkonkoma,Port Jefferson,Oyster bay or Babylon/Montauk.

• Like Like x 1
  31. mrchuck

I sure hope Ronkonkoma,Babylon,Port Jefferson and Montauk are on train sim World dlc after the Editing tool available.

32. mrchuck

The Port Jefferson Branch has one single track but there are two tracks at Stony brook and smithtown so that’s means if they make a scenario on the Port Jefferson Branch and you arrive 5 minutes early scheduled to wait for another aproching Pennsylvania Station lirr Dm30ac it would be a excellent scenario.

33. LimitedEdiition

Something like this already happens in Service mode on the Hempstead Branch. I was 5 minutes late at Country Life Press and the game decided to have the Westbound train at Hempstead depart first cause I was so late. Ended up waiting at that sidetrack for a minute while the other train rolled on by.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. mrchuck

They mentioned about west Hempsted on Train Sim World being closed for track work hopefully they’ll be a Dlc package available on the west Hempsted and Babylon Branch in the future.