New British Route Revealed!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Trainiac, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

Guys I just updated my TSW3 on my PS4 and it added support for the new confirmed route! I'm pretty sure it's what everyone suspected! Cross city!
    Edit- The achievements just got added as well!

• Like Like x 2
  2. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

Aha, does it say anything about the trains included?

3. Trainiac

I checked the trophies and they're all to do with the 323, I think its the only train included but we’ll have to wait and see when it's officially announced!

• Like Like x 3
  4. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

Where did you find this?

5. Trainiac

6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I hope they get the 323 sound just right like they did the 465.

• Like Like x 1
  7. simontreanor81

Hmm, I can't see this, what's the full info you saw?

8. Trainiac

I hope they do too, but the 465 sound were sourced from Armstrong powerhouse, all DTG had to was implement them. For the 323 they have to go out and do it all themselves. I still have hope though!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Trainiac

If you're on PS4 update the game and then check the game update history. Support for Cross City line should be in the list. Furthermore DTG posted this on twitter. You can see the Brecknell Willis Panto and the WMR colour scheme in the back as well as the general 323 shape at the front. upload_2022-10-31_20-25-29.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

If it is cross city, it will be a massive let down. Also goes to show that once again, community requests are completely ignored

• Like Like x 9
  11. mbjbjm#7281

mbjbjm#7281 Well-Known Member

It definitely is CrossCity.

12. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Still nothing on PC Steam Achivements or maybe it is because DTG not liking that i unlock the achivements early :)

13. simontreanor81

If it is CrossCity, I hope there's a second train, although it's hard to imagine what it'd be (other than a 66)

14. frabjousvector

Repainted HST that can go from University to New Street and to Wolverhampton if that’s included. Would need the license but the issues with CrossCountry where a while ago now

15. jonad6700

jonad6700 New Member

Let’s hope it does have a second train, as without one it will be another all green light snooze fest where the signals are predominantly for aesthetics rather than function.

As someone who used to commute on this route daily this would be a day 1 purchase for me if the traffic levels on the north and south end of the x city line are realistic. It would be unrealistic to expect New Street to be as busy as it is in real life (not least because it would require a number of new trains including 390s) however the inclusion of a 170 which could be used on the Cardiff or Worcester services would pad out the traffic significantly, add some interesting semi fast services and hopefully red lights. I also wouldn’t mind if 323s are substituted for services operated by 350s (such as the Chase Line services) in order to pad out the timetable.

Given a number of RHTT circuits originate at Kings Norton depot a 66 and RHTT set is also a safe bet but wouldn’t add many services if the only other train is a 323.

Finally, let’s hope the timetable is based on the pre-covid 10 minute service frequency.

• Like Like x 2
  16. simontreanor81

A 170 would certainly make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It has been suggested and requested numerous times on this forum. That does not equate with requests being completely ignored. Quite the opposite in fact, as community requests have been made into an actual TSW route. Marvellous things can and do happen.

• Like Like x 7
  18. frabjousvector

Some people will conflate what they want with what the community wants, I’ve noticed.

• Like Like x 4
  19. frabjousvector

Cross City as a route will be fine, as long as they don’t cut any part out of it. Having an extra train or two would really benefit it, and Walsall-Wolverhampton would be a welcome surprise, but on the whole it’s still looking like a decent route.

20. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

No it has never been suggested, nasty DTG!!

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/birmingham-cross-city-line.57444/

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/cross-city-line.44729/

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/cross-city-line-lichfield-redditch-bromsgrove.42111/

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...field-trent-valley–bromsgrove-redditch.45997/

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I also requested this route, so that's another happy camper for your list... https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...-cross-country-line-323-172-220-221-66.18236/ :)

I hope they've planned ahead to allow for some really good expansion on this one as it really lends itself to DLC with overlapping train routes (as described in the link above).

• Like Like x 2
  22. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

I can tell this is going to be a bad route. Just like Cathcart circle Birmingham new street (a very large station and interchange) will have one train running out from it, fun!
    We ask for Wcml, Ecml, Mml, Geml but no Cross City line. I’m intrigued to see who is really excited for this.
    Like come on dovetail. We could’ve had Euston - Milton Keynes, kings X to Peterborough or any other place along the mainline.
    Money staying in my wallet once again.
    Hopefully the Acela and rivets route are great

• Like Like x 7
  23. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

For someone completely out of the loop - what would you describe as the interesting stuff in such a DLC to someone who knows nothing about it? So far, to me, it seems like a short A-B route with an EMU... been there, done that... many times, especially in UK DLCs.

• Like Like x 2
  24. frabjousvector

Maybe they could explore the idea of linking routes together- they start with this, then they slowly work on building the full WCML bit by bit. This is a really good starting place, and if they add Wolverhampton, they could build towards getting that Rugby-Birmingham-Stafford section done.

25. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Euston is boring... It's got one line coming out of it and everything goes up or down that line to one place, Euston...
    At least with somewhere like New Street we might actually have trains going somewhere other than a London terminal

• Like Like x 3
  26. frabjousvector

It introduces the WMR and LNWR licences which means there are now a good few more potential routes in those areas- plus we finally get Birmingham New Street- meaning that they can use that as a basis for the future. It’s more about what the route means for TSW as opposed to the route itself.

27. theorganist

Thanks for being the community spokesperson!

If you bother to look a couple of posts above this thread you will see evidence of at least five requests for it! I only looked for a couple of minutes so there may be more.

How can you tell it is going to be a bad route? Cathcart if anything is one of the best routes it just happens to be lacking in variety of trains, the route itself is very good. The TSC Cross City route is very well made so I would imagine will be just as good in TSW.

• Like Like x 11
  28. ARuscoe

Many UK routes would be A-B with a limited amount of train types, but if (and it's a big if) they implement Birmingham right you could end up with quite a few train classes passing through or across the route
    Not saying it will be that from day one, but there are more possibilities in Birmingham (simply because it's not in the South East) than Euston as an example where there are fewer classes (390, 221, 350, 710 I think)

• Like Like x 1
  29. frabjousvector

I’m interested to see what the Rivet route is. It seems like it’ll be Scottish but I’m craving something around the Wales and Borders area.

• Like Like x 1
  30. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Birmingham New Street offers fantastic potential for future routes as there are so many lines and destinations in and out of it.

We’ll no doubt see New Street being used again on another route in the future. I have a feeling this is the first part of a jigsaw puzzle.

• Like Like x 5
  31. ARuscoe

OK so the line is 33 miles long from Bromsgrove to Lichfield Trent Valley with a spur to Redditch. There's 23 stations, plus Redditch so 24 if they have that branch, and they're mainly all stoppers for the full line from Bromsgrove, with the Redditch services terminating at Four Oaks and turning back.

There's a load of freight and regionals along the line so possibility of DLC additions so not too bad overall (if a bit short but then the scenery would have to be dense!)

• Like Like x 1
  32. jack travers

Sorry for not adding my opinion into the text even though it’s kind of obvious :|

33. jack travers

Did you not see the part of one train in a large station or is that only visible to me

34. ARuscoe

No, but that's not "the route". That's DTGs policy of only putting one train on a route which seems to have propagated into TSW
    The Cathcart route itself is pretty good overall

I mean if you're going to bring in DTGs asset management into it then EVERY route is a pile of rubbish because they're all missing something or have things wrong with them

• Like Like x 3
  35. theorganist

It was a blanket statement, "I can tell this is going to be a bad route (full stop)"!

• Like Like x 1
  36. theorganist

Erm.....

37. jack travers

I agree with you and obviously nothing is perfect but glasgow central is a large station

38. jack travers

Fair enough there

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. frabjousvector

We don’t know if it will just be the 323s yet. There’s every chance DTG have something else up their sleeve

• Like Like x 1
  40. jack travers

I’m not familiar with that line I just know it crosses from the WCML to CML and uses the 323. What other trains run there ?

41. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

I requested it, so don't even think for a second you were ignored!

42. Factor41

If they consider adding the bit after the electrification ends (maybe accessible as a DLC - a proper, feasible extension, if you will), then they could add the 172 DMU services (they only stop at New Street, University and Bromsgrove in the electrified bit). Plus the 323 and 172 are being replaced shortly with new 730 and 196 respectively. The route includes the Lickey Incline for tricky freight, and has passing through CrossCountry services with 220 and HSTs which might need the extensions currently, but the Bristol trains are scheduled to stop at Bromsgrove from next year (I'm sure we'd turn a blind eye if they made it onto the 'today' timetable). Frequent steam railtours too.
    As well as the above, my original suggestion describes the changing scenery from city centre to countryside. Hopefully that variation would be expressed well in game. It could well start up at the Lichfield end of the line too, which would make it significantly longer than my suggestion.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
  43. alexjjones6024

Yeah, a 66 probably but RHTT run from Kings Norton and also banking freight up the Lickey incline would be good.

44. alexjjones6024

Voyagers run between Bromsgrove and BNS but the pendolinos (390's) would have to be static or in and out of BNS.

45. Factor41

Yeah, spotted that and updated :)

Edit: The Voyagers currently don't stop at Bromsgrove, but the Bristol services are supposed to be adding a stop there from next year, so they could add that in early. Otherwise, it's only the short hop from New Street to University which would be driveable.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. frabjousvector

Some Voyagers added would be my dream scenario.

• Like Like x 1
  47. ARuscoe

This is the point. Birmingham has a lot of traffic that London does not (170s, 220s, HST sets, 158s etc etc) so hopefully we might see something not based on an electrostar

And of course they can go back a few years in time and have different assets with a few changes, or make it into a network in every direction, Birmingham has a lot of rails and decent connections to just about everywhere

48. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Sooooo from what I can gather, only 2 or 3 people requested CCL. I'm interested to know where this sits in popularity with the annual request list dtg have

• Like Like x 1
  49. frabjousvector

Most of it does rely on getting that XC licence though. It makes you wonder…

50. ARuscoe

Yup, a lot of the traffic to the South West of Birmingham is XC
    Other than that you have LM, LNWR, TfW all going through New Street (and back in the day BR, Regional Railways etc)